Overnight Essential Bus Service Plan

Overnight express bus service will begin tonight, running every 30 minutes or better.

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight

Overnight express bus routes

We’re confirming and adding overnight routes to our trip planner now. We know now that these routes will be operating about every 30 minutes or better tonight:

BxM1: Riverdale, Bronx, and East Midtown, Manhattan

BxM2: Riverdale, Bronx, and West Midtown, Manhattan

BxM4: Woodlawn, Bronx, and Midtown, Manhattan

BxM7: Co-op City, Bronx, and Midtown, Manhattan

BxM11: Wakefield, Bronx, and Midtown, Manhattan

BM2: Canarsie, Brooklyn, and Midtown/Downtown, Manhattan

BM3: Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, and Midtown/Downtown, Manhattan

QM6: Fresh Meadows, Glen Oaks, Lake Success, Queens, and Midtown, Manhattan

We’ll post more information as it becomes available.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I wonder if any of the QM6 runs overnight will be trackable since they aren't normally scheduled after 12:30 am

Once I saw that they're going to be prioritizing buses that run near hospitals & what not, I said yep, that's going to mean the B11 will have overnight service... Then I saw the list of confirmed routes VG8 posted, then said to myself good - I'm going to track the B11 later on & see if they'll show up on bustime....

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I believe I read on Twitter that some bus routes might have some stop changes (assuming additional pickups in terms of the express bus routes). 

EDIT: 

They say interborough, but they don't specify whether it's local, limited, or express bus routes that will have stop additions, nor if those stops are along the regular route. 

They probably mean the express, I can definitely see the QM6 and X68 stopping along QBL stops.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Once I saw that they're going to be prioritizing buses that run near hospitals & what not, I said yep, that's going to mean the B11 will have overnight service... Then I saw the list of confirmed routes VG8 posted, then said to myself good - I'm going to track the B11 later on & see if they'll show up on bustime....

It took me some seconds to process that, thanks to having used it only a few times.

(It doesn't help that I've pretty much only used it as an alternative to the B6...)

This will be interesting.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, we discussed the North Shore express bus situation in one of the meetings I had. They are doing as I said... Scaling back express bus service on the North Shore where possible and trying to push those people to the ferry. Meanwhile more people are heading down to Hylan Blvd for the SIM1C.

Hey Via, what are your thoughts on having all of the various BM, QM and BxM routes run overnight? I think it would make a great substitute for the subway for many coming from far out places? 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

It took me some seconds to process that, thanks to having used it only a few times.

(It doesn't help that I've pretty much only used it as an alternative to the B6...)

This will be interesting.

That's actually not the first time I've heard/read someone say that....

You know it's bad when its still forgettable that the thing runs to Sunset Park..... I've always thought, at the very least, that the destination sign should read Lutheran Hosp. (well, NYU Langone - Brooklyn now) would help that route a ton....

"How much longer is it to the hospital?".... Lady, you're on the wrong bus.

2 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

I like the idea of the Q32 running overnight, if it runs decent headways it really does serve as a good fill in for the (7) 

Problem is the Q32 ends in Jackson Heights, not Flushing. Riders will have to use the Q66 

Night maps are out:

https://new.mta.info/map/8016 (Brooklyn)

https://new.mta.info/map/8031 (Manhattan)

https://new.mta.info/map/8026 (Queens)

https://new.mta.info/map/8021 (The Bronx)

They already botched this. The Bx7 will not run south of 207 Street during the overnight hour. So anyone in inwood (not headed to Midtown) looking to head south has to walk to the 180s and to Saint Nicholas Ave to catch the M3, use a cab, or take the Bx12 to the Bx1/ Bx15, to some other bus. I don't understand why they would do that, especially since Columbia University Medical Center is at 166th.  

• The BxM7 will be making all BxM8 along Bruckner Boulevard and the Pelham Bay Park stop. 
  • QM6 buses will be making QM18 stops along Queens Boulevard.
  • QM17 buses will be making QM15 along Woodhaven Boulevard (will not serve Lindenwood).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

52 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Night maps are out:

https://new.mta.info/map/8016 (Brooklyn)

https://new.mta.info/map/8031 (Manhattan)

https://new.mta.info/map/8026 (Queens)

https://new.mta.info/map/8021 (The Bronx)

They already botched this. The Bx7 will not run south of 207 Street during the overnight hour. So anyone in inwood (not headed to Midtown) looking to head south has to walk to the 180s and to Saint Nicholas Ave to catch the M3, use a cab, or take the Bx12 to the Bx1/ Bx15, to some other bus. I don't understand why they would do that, especially since Columbia University Medical Center is at 166th.  

• The BxM7 will be making all BxM8 along Bruckner Boulevard and the Pelham Bay Park stop. 
  • QM6 buses will be making QM18 stops along Queens Boulevard.
  • QM17 buses will be making QM15 along Woodhaven Boulevard (will not serve Lindenwood).

How can you tell that about the QM6? 

7 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

How can you tell that about the QM6? 

On the map, the QM6 line is a solid green along Queens Boulevard without the dashed lines. Look at how the X68 has the dashed lines, and how the solid line merges into/out of the dashed lines around Woodhaven Boulevard. Also, the only express bus stops along Queens Boulevard north of Union Turnpike are QM11/QM18 bus stops, and the stop at 78th Avenue.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

This isn't about what I was expecting..... But to answer your question, for the routes to be left alone... Looks like I got what I expected.

Anyway, the comment I made was an inside reference.... As in, there were some people on here advocating for a night time bus network (before the crisis)...

Maybe QJT might get his wish.... Open-door express buses.

QJT 😀😀😀😀. In these serious times I need a laugh wherever I can find one. JAzumah and a QJT mention in one day. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Ok let me introduce you to botched part 2.

You know how the MTA directs you for email if you aren't eligible to take the bus as an alternative. I signed up because (originally) I had a 6:15AM shift traveling from the Bronx to Staten Island. That's already a mission itself. Signed up yesterday and received an email an hour ago saying that I will be contacted soon. A few minutes ago I get a phone call and decide to ignore it to see what happens. After 4 back-to-back calls I get a voicemail from the company (which by the way the "voicemail" did not explain anything at all nor did the person even speak). 

Earlier today my job changed my shift to start at 8:15AM on Thursday. If it wasn't for that I would of "missed this call" and not received a follow-up email for the call because I would be asleep no later than 10:00PM.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Does the BM3 leaving Midtown around the overnight hours on a Sunday counts as Saturday service or a new Sunday service added?

BMs operate into the early hours of the morning so no. Its added service if service start at 6 am or so. 

a few quick observations:

i agree wholeheartedly with the Q22 & QM17 decisions. the Q22 should be a overnight fixture in my personal opinion. the HHA's & nurses who work at the numerous institutions in the rockaways needed this (even if temporarily. tbh i was amazed at how many nursing homes & rehabilitation centers are located out there). i also agree with the QM17 serving Woodhaven (absent the QM15). Lindenwood wasn't gonna see overnight service... goes without saying. beautiful to see the Bx39 running end to end overnight and the B11 getting the nod. so... no QM2, 3 or 20 in lieu of the (7) ? also, I'm happy that people have mentioned the lack of Bx7 south of Isham, and the lack of Q112 & Q8 in general. I'm certain that people will find other holes in this overnight plan that i failed to mention. have fun.

P.S. i can't forget to mention the B82. i can almost guarantee that the 82 won't go to C.I. overnights from here on out. they've known for years that the 82 carries air from Stillwell to Ulmer Park Depot during hawk run hours. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

13 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

Hey Via, what are your thoughts on having all of the various BM, QM and BxM routes run overnight? I think it would make a great substitute for the subway for many coming from far out places? 

I'm not opposed to some express buses running overnight, as some lines are must or would perform well. I think running all of them during normal times though would be overkill. There are definitely some lines that do quite well late at night and could perhaps have service extended longer. Here are the candidates based on observations and usage:

BxM2 -  The 12am and 12:30am buses tend to well. Part of the reason is the (1) train is knocked out a lot and in some cases, the BxM1 stops running earlier (on Saturdays and Sundays this is the case), and the express bus is much faster than the subway late at night. I can recall back in the day getting home from Midtown late nights coming from the bar in about 35-40 minutes. Impossible to do with the (1) train, plus the local bus, but comparable to Metro-North with the shuttle bus. I wouldn't give it 24/7 service, but perhaps a bus or more back to Riverdale would do ok, but nothing more than that.

BxM4 - Same thing here. The late buses to Woodlawn do quite well for whatever reason. I have seen several BxM4s quite crowded late at night. This was one reason BxM4 riders were so vocal about not having their service cut. Many riders live right along the Grand Concourse, and the BxM4 is alot more accessible than the subway, especially for the disabled and the elderly population, of which there are a lot. It's also a safety factor. Many of the co-ops along Grand Concourse note the BxM4 express bus as an amenity. Given the hilly nature of the areas off of the Concourse, it would be a pain dealing with the subway at any time.

BxM7 - Co-Op City should definitely have 24/7 service. Lots of residents work overnight and depend on the service.

BxM6 - Parkchester is a similar demographic to Co-Op City. Transit workers, nurses... People that work overnight. I have taken late BxM6 buses back to Manhattan, and while never packed, there are always good crowds on them late at night to Manhattan and also back to Parkchester. The BxM6 is a lot faster than the (6) train too. Not sure I'd give it 24/7 service, but a bus or two wouldn't break the bank back to Parkchester.

BxM9 - This line should also have 24/7 service. Throggs Neck is truly a transit desert, and the greater Throggs Neck area overall is quite remote. Silver Beach, Edgewater Park and several other smaller communities all lie within the greater Throggs Neck area, plus you have people from nearby Country Club and the Spencer Estates areas that alternate between the BxM8 and BxM9. The end of the BxM9 is quite walkable to the BxM8, as I have done it several times.

BxM10 - This is another line that is quite bus late at night, mainly because the Albert Einstein College of Medicine campus. The express buses back to City can become quite crowded. It is probably one of the best performing reverse peak express bus lines in the City outside of Staten Island lines, and right up there with lines like the BxM7, as many of the students and medical staff from Manhattan prefer the express bus over the subway, which often knocked out anyway.

X27 and X28 - I would run a few extra express buses back to Brooklyn so that service ended around 1am or 1:30am and that would suffice.

BM1 - BM3: You could run service until midnight back to Brooklyn and that would suffice.

SIM3C - I would make this line 24/7. Long overdue. The SIM33C runs late enough the week but could run later on weekends, so I'd add a few extra buses

SIM4C - I would make this line 24/7 as well.

SIM2 - I would restore off-peak service to hourly service to allow ridership to grow. It would take a large burden off of the SIM1C,

For the QM2, QM5 and QM6, I would either restore some service or leave it as is, and run the QM15 until midnight.

Most of these additions would not require a large amount of service. A bus here and there, and most would be hourly or every half hour.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8