Overnight Essential Bus Service Plan

I see a lot of screwing up that the MTA did..specifically for some of the Bronx routes.

Bx7: Why is this route not running between 166th and Riverdale? You have two important hospitals on the line.

Bx3: There should be short turns running from Riverdale to VA Hospital, and VA Hospital to Manhattan.

Bx8/31: One of these two should be running, preferably the Bx31.

Bx29: At least give this island access to Pelham Bay.

BxM9/BxM10: Both should be running without a doubt. 

My opinions can be debated if disagreed on.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THe good: MTA placed signs stating "QM6 will stop here overnight" on the Union Tpke stops.

THe bad: Once again, I flag down a QM35 this morning, B/O shuts off the destination sign, makes eye contact with me, and drives right past me. Then, I get on of the POS 28XX buses, which has broken USB chargers, and I cut myself on the handrail underneath the parcel rack because it is cracked. 

You can be sure as hell that I immediately filed complaints about both of these issues. 

This plan is OK I guess as a quick stopgap measure, but they are going to have to come up with actual replacement service if this is going to be in effect more than a couple of weeks.  I can only hope that the lack of serious effort at running replacement routes along the rail lines means that they are intending to resume overnight rail service fairly quickly.

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

THe good: MTA placed signs stating "QM6 will stop here overnight" on the Union Tpke stops.

THe bad: Once again, I flag down a QM35 this morning, B/O shuts off the destination sign, makes eye contact with me, and drives right past me. Then, I get on of the POS 28XX buses, which has broken USB chargers, and I cut myself on the handrail underneath the parcel rack because it is cracked. 

You can be sure as hell that I immediately filed complaints about both of these issues. 

Unbelievable... Disgusting to change the sign like that and then pretend they are not in service. I would get screenshots of it beforehand just in case, but they can check BusTrek and see.

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

I see a lot of screwing up that the MTA did..specifically for some of the Bronx routes.

Bx7: Why is this route not running between 166th and Riverdale? You have two important hospitals on the line.

Bx3: There should be short turns running from Riverdale to VA Hospital, and VA Hospital to Manhattan.

Bx8/31: One of these two should be running, preferably the Bx31.

Bx29: At least give this island access to Pelham Bay.

BxM9/BxM10: Both should be running without a doubt. 

My opinions can be debated if disagreed on.

I came here precisely to ask about why the Bx7 is terminated at Isham. That also leaves Inwood orphaned from NY Presbyterian. 

Also, I would run a modified M31 (extended to 96 Street/2 Avenue). What about combining the M14D and the M23 overnight, to create one route running from Chelsea Piers to the East River Houses?

I heard from a driver I know that there were numerous homeless people riding the express bus last night. I didn't realize it was free overnight?!? Said the smell was horrible. Can't imagine being on an express bus with the same air circulating with homeless people getting on with no masks.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

34 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I heard from a driver I know that there were numerous homeless people riding the express bus last night. I didn't realize it was free overnight?!? Said the smell was horrible. Can't imagine being on an express bus with the same air circulating with homeless people getting on with no masks.

source.gif

Homeless ppl riding express buses is some grade A F***ery. Spending a night on the express bus is like spending a night in a royal suite compared to the subway.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My question is why are the homeless being allowed on in the first place. And I'm also wondering why is it drivers are not asking for proof of essential service when riding at this time.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's amazing how the homeless, who can appear like they are on another planet, can find out about these things. I bet half of the population didn't even know express buses were running overnight. 

I did see a ton of homeless people this morning on the street. I guess they stayed above ground the whole night. I guess Cuomo and de Blasio's plan to get them all into shelters failed...what a surprise. 

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

My question is why are the homeless being allowed on in the first place. And I'm also wondering why is it drivers are not asking for proof of essential service when riding at this time.

MTA is probably worried the B/O's will get killed over that, just like they aren't supposed to enforce the fare, just press the farebeater button. This actually makes me wonder why the homeless don't try to get on the express buses more often. 

23 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

MTA is probably worried the B/O's will get killed over that, just like they aren't supposed to enforce the fare, just press the farebeater button. This actually makes me wonder why the homeless don't try to get on the express buses more often. 

Because most don't go back in service right away. The trains largely run end to end all day but the express buses are for the most part peak only. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

source.gif

Homeless ppl riding express buses is some grade A F***ery. Spending a night on the express bus is like spending a night in a royal suite compared to the subway.

25 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

24 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

It's amazing how the homeless, who can appear like they are on another planet, can find out about these things. I bet half of the population didn't even know express buses were running overnight. 

I did see a ton of homeless people this morning on the street. I guess they stayed above ground the whole night. I guess Cuomo and de Blasio's plan to get them all into shelters failed...what a surprise. 

Yeah, I was talking with someone on the inside about this. They said last night they had a serious problem with homeless people riding the express buses. I also spoke with a driver that had the same problem. People coming on the bus asking about bathrooms, smelling to high heavens, with no mask on. Totally unsafe. A lot of drivers don't want the overtime now as a result (all of the overnight work on the express is overtime that was added), but some drivers are turning down the work, per a few drivers I spoke with in my group.

Well, that was quick:

NO SCHEDULED SERVICE The 2 A.M. Manhattan-bound QM17 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

NO SCHEDULED SERVICE The 1:30 A.M. Canarsie-bound BM2 bus will not run. Visit www.essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, I was talking with someone on the inside about this. They said last night they had a serious problem with homeless people riding the express buses. I also spoke with a driver that had the same problem. People coming on the bus asking about bathrooms, smelling to high heavens, with no mask on. Totally unsafe. A lot of drivers don't want the overtime now as a result (all of the overnight work on the express is overtime that was added), but some drivers are turning down the work, per a few drivers I spoke with in my group.

I'm shocked...completely shocked.

No need for the services to be free on the expresses. Make the fare $2.75 and give the routes a new designation overnight.

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

source.gif

I'm all for a good laugh, but there's nothing comical about what's going on with the homeless situation & their utilization of public transportation....

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The inquiry earlier was asked in regards to the services themselves, but having the public oblivious of the express bus fare during these hours is where the MTA dropped the ball too.... The thought of having overnight subway riders potentially having to pay another $3.75 one way did cross my mind, when I first heard about this essential plan.... Also wondered if they would use the MCI's or the local bus fleet..... But now that I'm hearing that the service is free, yeah, this will entice the homeless into riding on the more longer routes of the system... Shame that we're increasingly having problems with malodorous buses & passenger & operator safety, as the underworld rises to the surface :(

...and I get people talking about the city hopefully helping out the homeless due to this crisis? Sheep stay sleep if they want to, but being a resident in this city for almost 4 decades would have me believe otherwise....

Anyway, b/o's turning down overtime will lead to unfilled trips (apparently already happening, according to what BM5 just posted); which is obviously an issue for the 2nd & 3rd shifters, being that service isn't near as frequent like it is during the daytime - even though the number of options (routes) has increased some.... To be perfectly honest, I don't blame b/o's for passing up this o/t - I want to go home at the end of the day too.

5 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I hate to say it, but that would loom discriminatory (that is why they're simply imperatively stating that only essential people utilize public transit).... Also, how would you prove it? No work ID, no entry? Recent check stub? Work uniform? I get the nobility behind the sentiment/inquiry, but it would ultimately be a waste of time in the longrun.....

Key cards (displaying no info on them) maybe, but you'd be surprised how many companies don't issue ID's....

49 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I hate to say it, but that would loom discriminatory (that is why they're simply imperatively stating that only essential people utilize public transit).... Also, how would you prove it? No work ID, no entry? Recent check stub? Work uniform? I get the nobility behind the sentiment/inquiry, but it would ultimately be a waste of time in the longrun.....

Key cards (displaying no info on them) maybe, but you'd be surprised how many companies don't issue ID's....

Actually you aren't wrong on that part.

Separate note, I was gonna use the BxM4 tonight and the only two buses out on the route are at layover at 23rd Street right now. No bus has left or touched the bronx since at least 3:45, probably earlier. Either that or they aren't tracking at all in the Bronx.

Edit: there were no downtown BxM4s for an hour now. Ridiculous.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

1) You can't actually limit a public transit system to "essential workers only" because the definition is nebulous.

2) Drivers should not be doing that. It is an assault risk.

3) You can remove the homeless, but you have to have standard published parameters to do so. You can automatically remove anyone that smells bad for a public health reason. If they don't smell all that bad, then you have to use a checkpoint system where someone can observe that a passenger has no destination. I would equip every officer with a body camera that is assigned to this work. So, if you see someone that has no obvious destination, you can pull them off at terminals. Otherwise, they would have to be a "potential health hazard" in some form or have a prohibited item (like a shopping cart with items not fastened or an excessive amount of freight).

In light of the subway crime spike despite ridership being down by 90%, this should be an around the clock operation.

3 hours ago, Fresh Pond said:

Yup, its a craziest tonight...

4 hybrids on the QM17

2 NGs on the BxM4

FP has runs on both the Q24 AND Q56

I’m guessing those are from Eastchester? 

Damm, East New York is sharing the Q24 and Q56 overnights with Fresh Pond. Sounds very off to me. However, whatever gets the service done. 

35 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Damm, East New York is sharing the Q24 and Q56 overnights with Fresh Pond. Sounds very off to me. However, whatever gets the service done. 

Normalcy went out the window about 2 months ago.... Might sound off, but I have no problem with it.... As long as the service is running & (pax & ops) are safe out there.

Not much different than previously seeing WF or KB buses here in Brooklyn doing subway shuttle duty... Lol.

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Separate note, I was gonna use the BxM4 tonight and the only two buses out on the route are at layover at 23rd Street right now. No bus has left or touched the bronx since at least 3:45, probably earlier. Either that or they aren't tracking at all in the Bronx.

Edit: there were no downtown BxM4s for an hour now. Ridiculous.

To put this in some sort of perspective, imagine no subway service for an hour.

More hoodlums will be on the prowl for waiting passengers; backblocks make for damn good hiding/plotting spaces.... Rogue service exacerbates this.

5 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Normalcy went out the window about 2 months ago.... Might sound off, but I have no problem with it.... As long as the service is running & (pax & ops) are safe out there.

Not much different than previously seeing WF or KB buses here in Brooklyn doing subway shuttle duty... Lol.

Agreed on this stance. Normalcy is out the door..  I wouldn’t be surprised if GA slaps an artic on the 46 on a late night.