Overnight Essential Bus Service Plan

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Night Bus Map for Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan looks better than their Day Map. I was pleasantly surprised to learn the Q24 actually ends just within a few blocks of the B46 at Broadway. I didn't even know the Q40 had overnight service. All I ever see on Sutphin at Late Nights are Q43, Q60, Q24, Q6... I typically see far more buses on Hillside coming in and out of 165th than Archer or even Jamaica Avenue. 

Overnight Flushing tends to be Q17 and Q27 on schedule as opposed to the 5 of them that show up on Main and Roosevelt while the Q44 is the only thing being frequent. Using Main-Union-39th to reach Northern must be the smartest thing the MTA has done for the Q28. 

Today's  express bus "adventure": QM5 B/O this morning nearly drives past me, but stops as I continue to flag him down with my arm waving like a drowning sailor. When I get on, B/O gruffly says "you essential?" and makes me show my hospital ID before he would move the bus! Unbelievable. What if I was going into the city to get groceries or medications?? Ridiculous. I am getting sick and tired of having to file complaints every day about this BS. 

36 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Today's  express bus "adventure": QM5 B/O this morning nearly drives past me, but stops as I continue to flag him down with my arm waving like a drowning sailor. When I get on, B/O gruffly says "you essential?" and makes me show my hospital ID before he would move the bus! Unbelievable. What if I was going into the city to get groceries or medications?? Ridiculous. I am getting sick and tired of having to file complaints every day about this BS. 

Long gotten ridiculous with all these problems you've been having with these express buses as of late..... That isn't a b/o's place to be asking you for no ID.

That sounds like he just didn't wanna work (more specifically, not pick up anybody)....

28 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Long gotten ridiculous with all these problems you've been having with these express buses as of late..... That isn't a b/o's place to be asking you for no ID.

That sounds like he just didn't wanna work (more specifically, not pick up anybody)....

Exactly. I was the only one on the bus, and he was clearly pissed that he had to go into the city. He also went off-route and took the GCP, and dropped me off on Second Ave, so he clearly wasn't a big rule follower lol. 

2 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The Night Bus Map for Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan looks better than their Day Map. I was pleasantly surprised to learn the Q24 actually ends just within a few blocks of the B46 at Broadway. I didn't even know the Q40 had overnight service. All I ever see on Sutphin at Late Nights are Q43, Q60, Q24, Q6... I typically see far more buses on Hillside coming in and out of 165th than Archer or even Jamaica Avenue. 

Overnight Flushing tends to be Q17 and Q27 on schedule as opposed to the 5 of them that show up on Main and Roosevelt while the Q44 is the only thing being frequent. Using Main-Union-39th to reach Northern must be the smartest thing the MTA has done for the Q28. 

Unless service was added because of the subway shutdown, the Q40 normally doesn’t have overnight service. Even though it is listed on the Queens Bus Service Guide as hourly overnight, there is a gap from 1:27 to 3:50 northbound and from 2:00 to 4:15 southbound where there is no service, so it shouldn’t be on the overnight map.

18 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

Unless service was added because of the subway shutdown, the Q40 normally doesn’t have overnight service. Even though it is listed on the Queens Bus Service Guide as hourly overnight, there is a gap from 1:27 to 3:50 northbound and from 2:00 to 4:15 southbound where there is no service, so it shouldn’t be on the overnight map.

According to the GTFS feed, that is still the case. 

14 hours ago, Fresh Pond said:

Yup, its a craziest tonight...

4 hybrids on the QM17

2 NGs on the BxM4

FP has runs on both the Q24 AND Q56

At least the articulated buses would have made sense on the QM17...it's too bad that NYCTA drivers couldn't have covered the BxM4, even though you're dealing with TWU 100 drivers all around. Being capped at 40 doesn't really matter at that hour, and TBH, having only local buses out (remember, MTA Bus Company drivers have been covering NYCTA and MaBSTOA routes if they're TWU 100) protects the drivers. (Also, for the Spring Creek routes, those could be covered by Flatbush as well, as the XD60s are normally off the road at that hour.)

Also, I'll say that it would make more sense for Ulmer Park to cover the late-night B82 instead of East New York. If and when summer pick happens, there could be a lot of changes.

As for permanent changes, I could see them coming, especially for shuttles. Is it possible that some shuttles could become permanent bustitution late at night.

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I wouldn't have showed him anything. I would've recorded the incident. Disgusting. I went and got groceries yesterday and took the express bus home.

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Exactly. I was the only one on the bus, and he was clearly pissed that he had to go into the city. He also went off-route and took the GCP, and dropped me off on Second Ave, so he clearly wasn't a big rule follower lol. 

I got so angry reading this. I took to Twitter just now and mentioned your problems. We're demanding that they expedite your complaints and start cracking down on drivers doing this crap. An essential worker especially should not have to deal with this **it. Drivers should be ashamed of themselves doing this, and it is definitely discrimination. Drivers have NO authority to ask ANYONE for any ID or question them about why they are riding. This is explicitly stated on every bus schedule.

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What is it with you and the express drivers? They must have a vendetta against you.

8 minutes ago, lornaevo said:

What is it with you and the express drivers? They must have a vendetta against you.

Excuse me, I've been commuting almost daily by express bus for over 10 years, and have rarely complained about the service. I have never seen the B/Os play games like they are doing now. 

Since March 16th, ive been working 15 hour days maintaining critical medical equipment in our hospitals, so PARDON ME if I get upset when I spent nearly $14 per day to get a quiet, comfortable express bus ride but the B/Os play games and don't want to do the work they are getting paid nicely to do.

I don't particularly enjoy having to go to work either, but I don't play games at my job. 

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I wouldn't have showed him anything. I would've recorded the incident. Disgusting. I went and got groceries yesterday and took the express bus home.

I happened to be on the phone with a supervisee of mine who needed help troubleshooting some medical equipment so I didn't have enough mental energy to argue with the B/O lol. 

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Excuse me, I've been commuting almost daily by express bus for over 10 years, and have rarely complained about the service. I have never seen the B/Os play games like they are doing now. 

Since March 16th, ive been working 15 hour days maintaining critical medical equipment in our hospitals, so PARDON ME if I get upset when I spent nearly $14 per day to get a quiet, comfortable express bus ride but the B/Os play games and don't want to do the work they are getting paid nicely to do.

I don't particularly enjoy having to go to work either, but I don't play games at my job. 

It's sad too many drivers play games like this. Like this morning I almost missed the M15 not because I was running for it. The guy basically opened the back doors and was a couple feet away from the bus shelter. And the back wasn't even open for 2 seconds. Glad I was able to slide my hand into the bus in time and I made sure the driver heard about how mad I was.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Nah, you're supposed to take whatever reaming the MTA doles out with a jubilant grin.... As a bonus, each proceeding day, you get to ask:

"yes sir, may I have another ?"

Ridiculous....

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's sad too many drivers play games like this. Like this morning I almost missed the M15 not because I was running for it. The guy basically opened the back doors and was a couple feet away from the bus shelter. And the back wasn't even open for 2 seconds. Glad I was able to slide my hand into the bus in time and I made sure the driver heard about how mad I was.

Damn, how early in the morning was this & how late were you?

I don't blame you for vocally projecting your anger, but I wouldn't have risked sticking my hand between the back doors of a bus.... F*** that.

36 minutes ago, Fresh Pond said:

Tonight's madness...

Still hybrids on the QM17

An XD60 popped up on the Q60 (and is still running as of this post)

Quill is on the Bxm11

FP still on the Q24/56

There's two of them (6240,6248) on the Q60. Hybrids have been running since day 1, so I guess that's gonna be the new normal with the overnight buses. Also, I guess that's why there's very few buses on the Yonkers and Eastchester routes on bustime. That doesn't look good for people who are tracking on their phones. 

The QM6 and BxM7 routes have been updated on bustime to reflect the additional stops it will make. Now, the bustime route indicates that the BxM7 will run down the entire BxM8 route as well and make all BxM8 stops (except City Island), but the overnight map shows it staying on Bruckner but making all BxM8 stops on Bruckner. So, which is it?

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There's two of them (6240,6248) on the Q60. Hybrids have been running since day 1, so I guess that's gonna be the new normal with the overnight buses. Also, I guess that's why there's very few buses on the Yonkers and Eastchester routes on bustime. That doesn't look good for people who are tracking on their phones. 

The QM6 and BxM7 routes have been updated on bustime to reflect the additional stops it will make. Now, the bustime route indicates that the BxM7 will run down the entire BxM8 route as well and make all BxM8 stops (except City Island), but the overnight map shows it staying on Bruckner but making all BxM8 stops on Bruckner. So, which is it?

It's making all BxM8 stops on the Bruckner for sure. I haven't heard anything about it doing the entire BxM8 route. I will check with someone internally to find out though since I was talking with someone earlier about the service.

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I forgot that we've been complaining about the need for earlier BxM9 service. I was promised our request would be sent up the chain, so the answer is yes, the BxM7 is making ALL BxM8 stops along the Bruckner. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I forgot that we've been complaining about the need for earlier BxM9 service. I was promised our request would be sent up the chain, so the answer is yes, the BxM7 is making ALL BxM8 stops along the Bruckner. 

These games are getting unbearable. just a few mins ago, bus 3135 on the QM6 passes right by me, and a QM31 sees what happens, stops for me, and the BO says "that was bus 3135, call up on his ass, he is always doing this!" Even the BOs are getting sick of this!  And I see 3135 goes NIS after main street and goes onto the GCP. 

6 hours ago, Fresh Pond said:

Tonight's madness...

Still hybrids on the QM17

An XD60 popped up on the Q60 (and is still running as of this post)

Quill is on the Bxm11

FP still on the Q24/56

How is Quill doing the BxM11? Do you mean the Bx11?

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That wasn't what needed clarification. Will the buses be making the BxM8 loop through the Pelham Bay area (Crosby, etc) or will they remain on the Bruckner Expressway?

23 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That wasn't what needed clarification. Will the buses be making the BxM8 loop through the Pelham Bay area (Crosby, etc) or will they remain on the Bruckner Expressway?

I said that they will make ALL BxM8 stops along the Bruckner, which has always been the case from the beginning. I didn't say anything about the loop for that reason. Sometimes there are limitations with BusTime that create confusion, and this an example one of that. I alerted them to the issue earlier this morning. I'm not sure how long it will take them to fix it. They had to make modifications to BusTime for the BxM7 overnight service. Without going into the particulars, every time a change is needed, it has to be put in as a request for the people that take care of it, and that's a process. There isn't a huge team that works on this all day.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8