Overnight Essential Bus Service Plan

Quill, KB and 100th Street have been covering Yonkers runs because of driver shortages/drivers refusing to do the overnight work. If your buses are not trackable, that's more than likely why. They've been primarily covering the BxM11, but they've also shown up on the BxM1, 2 and 4.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

Why hasn't the MTA posted the late-night express bus schedules, such as the X28 and BM2 in Brooklyn?  It's been almost a month!  Do they not have a set schedule?

But at least they posted updates to local bus schedules such as the B15, B8, and B63, which are now running every 10-25 minutes at 4am!!

They have been available on the Brooklyn bus page now for a while https://new.mta.info/schedules/bus/Brooklyn.

You have to click the link where it lists the routes which have the enhanced overnight service. Unfortunately, since this is the MTA we're dealing with here, if you click the link in the list of routes, it gives you the schedule as it was before, without the overnight service. Why they couldn't update the links on the list of routes is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Quill, KB and 100th Street have been covering Yonkers runs because of driver shortages/drivers refusing to do the overnight work. If your buses are not trackable, that's more than likely why. They've been primarily covering the BxM11, but they've also shown up on the BxM1, 2 and 4.

I understand that these types of situations happen  (especially since this is overtime), but this is terrible for the people who are using these routes. It gives off the sense that the buses are not running, and people don't want to be waiting at these times for a bus which in their mind might not show up (at least on the Bronx end of the route). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

So local buses are filling in for express runs? Or are there express buses at Tuskegee?

30 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They have been available on the Brooklyn bus page now for a while https://new.mta.info/schedules/bus/Brooklyn.

You have to click the link where it lists the routes which have the enhanced overnight service. Unfortunately, since this is the MTA we're dealing with here, if you click the link in the list of routes, it gives you the schedule as it was before, without the overnight service. Why they couldn't update the links on the list of routes is beyond me. 

I understand that these types of situations happen  (especially since this is overtime), but this is terrible for the people who are using these routes. It gives off the sense that the buses are not running, and people don't want to be waiting at these times for a bus which in their mind might not show up (at least on the Bronx end of the route). 

It's been a pain in the ass for those riders. It's been just as bad for the Manhattan operators since some have gotten lost along the express routes.

It'd also be a pain in the ass to reprogram the fareboxes and signs back & forth for the buses to be trackable, since those same buses are used for regular service the next day(especially since the entire Orion VII OG Hybrid fleet is OOS at Quill).

23 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So local buses are filling in for express runs? Or are there express buses at Tuskegee?

None of the Manhattan depots have express buses, so that should answer your question.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Did the 4:22 AM southbound BxM1 bus run yesterday from 256th St? It never showed on the tracker so I just took the BxM2.

You should take whatever comes first. As I said before, the trips from 1AM - 5PM are being done via overtime, so if drivers don't take the work, the trip will be left unfilled, so there will be trips missing. I just want to ensure that the waits aren't insanely long.

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Although I do see Quill and KB covering the BxM4 I do know that on my ride yesterday there was two bunching BxM4s when I got on my ride. On Google maps they put the scheduled essential runs on the respective stops and that's the only reason I knew my bus was 20 min late.

13 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

It's been a pain in the ass for those riders. It's been just as bad for the Manhattan operators since some have gotten lost along the express routes.

It'd also be a pain in the ass to reprogram the fareboxes and signs back & forth for the buses to be trackable, since those same buses are used for regular service the next day(especially since the entire Orion VII OG Hybrid fleet is OOS at Quill).

None of the Manhattan depots have express buses, so that should answer your question.

This whole thing has been poorly planned. There are express trips that have been missing for weeks during the day time.

4 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Although I do see Quill and KB covering the BxM4 I do know that on my ride yesterday there was two bunching BxM4s when I got on my ride. On Google maps they put the scheduled essential runs on the respective stops and that's the only reason I knew my bus was 20 min late.

That qnd each driver is doing whatever. Some are skipping stops. Others are making them.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020  1:51AM

The 2:10 AM northbound BX9 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020 12:24AM

Bx1 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. Consider taking the BxM4 instead.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020  1:07AM

The 1:15 AM eastbound QM17 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020  1:47AM

The 2:00 AM eastbound Q22 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020  1:14AM

The 1:20 AM westbound Q22 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

UPDATE:

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020  2:31AM

The 2:40 AM westbound Q22 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020  2:29AM

The 2:45 AM northbound BX9 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020  2:13AM

The 2:27 AM southbound BX9 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/26/2020  2:11AM

The 2:10 AM northbound and 2:07 AM southbound BX9 bus will not run. Visit http://essentialconnector.mta.info if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

7 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Why aren't the buses trackable? I thought all buses have all codes programmed just in case?

It has to do with the way BusTime is set up. For example, when they came up with modified schedules, some lines do not have Sunday service like the QM15, so they created a "modified schedule" that was a "Sunday schedule" that never existed before on that line, so they have to load the data into BusTime. Any sort of modifications and the bus can't be tracked. They ARE however totally trackable on BusTrek unless the bus is NOT IN SERVICE, and even that will show.

With BusTime, if a bus goes off route, or the driver accidentally puts in the wrong code, the bus will not show on BusTime. I have had express buses right in front of me that were not trackable on BusTime because the driver put in the wrong code. The other thing is if they suddenly add service like they did when they added an earlier BxM9 bus for us, the bus won't be trackable immediately until they update the schedule change in BusTime. 

Tonight's advisories are solely for the Q22:

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/27/2020  1:00AM

Q22 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. Consider taking the Q35/QM17 or Q53-SBS.

Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential employee and need to travel. 

17 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Tonight's advisories are solely for the Q22:

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/27/2020  1:00AM

Q22 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. Consider taking the Q35/QM17 or Q53-SBS.

Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential employee and need to travel. 

I’m glad they are finally highlighting when express buses are useful alternatives for travel.

Tonight's bus service changes. The Rockaways are getting hit in particular. At the time of writing, there's only one Q22 bus (headed towards B. 169th Street) on bustime.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/28/2020  2:51AM

The 3 A.M. southbound BxM1 bus will not run. Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/28/2020  1:08AM

Q22 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently.

Consider taking the Q35/QM17 or Q53-SBS.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/28/2020  3:25AM

The 3:30 A.M. westbound QM17 bus will not run. Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

11 hours ago, I love NY said:

You've been making several posts on here about the subway needing to being 24/7 again.... We get it... Much of nobody here disagrees with that.

Bringing up what happened to this poor guy though, is not a reason to have round-the-clock service on the subway.... F*ck Sh*t happens on the subways also.

Enough already.

10 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I guess shootings don't exist on subways at all. Guess that was a myth.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Tonight's bus service changes. The Rockaways are getting hit in particular. At the time of writing, there's only one Q22 bus (headed towards B. 169th Street) on bustime.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/28/2020  2:51AM

The 3 A.M. southbound BxM1 bus will not run. Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/28/2020  1:08AM

Q22 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/28/2020  3:25AM

The 3:30 A.M. westbound QM17 bus will not run. Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

Yeah, safe to say what's going on in the Rockaways during the overnight hours, aren't simply occurring by happenstance..... Somebody (or some group) with enough pull is saying something behind the scenes.....

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, safe to say what's going on in the Rockaways during the overnight hours, aren't simply occurring by happenstance..... Somebody (or some group) with enough pull is saying something behind the scenes.....

I can see why. Tonight, is the same deal, although the advisory was posted before the enhanced service was scheduled to begin (as if it was anticipated). I haven't seen any advisories about particular shortages during the day for the Q22, and the trips were being filled up until recently.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 05/29/2020 12:43AM

Whether there will be cancellations on the QM17 tonight remains to be seen. 

No express bus service into Manhattan tonight. SIM1C service will operate to St. George. X28 service appears to be suspended until later on:

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 06/02/2020 12:26AM

All Staten Island Express buses will not resume service to/from Manhattan until 4 a.m because of protests in Manhattan.

SIM1C buses in Staten Island will transport customers to/from the Staten Island Ferry for continuation trips into Manhattan.

X68 service will pick-up and drop-off at X68 stops along 3rd Avenue and 23rd Street (east of 3rd Avenue):

DETOURS  Posted: 06/01/2020 10:59PM

X68 buses are detoured in both directions because of protests along 6 Ave between 34 St and 57 St. 

While detoured:

Eastbound buses will travel along 3 Av and resume its regular route at 57 St. 

Westbound buses end service at 3 Ave and 57 St. 

All corresponding stops will be made as requested along 3 Ave. 

Other Changes:

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020 12:51AM

BXM4 buses are detoured because of protests in the West Bronx. 

Northbound buses will make stops as requested on Jerome Ave.

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020 12:50AM

Bx41 buses are detoured in both directions because of protest activity near Fordham Rd and Webster Ave. 

While detoured, buses will travel along Southern Blvd between Bedford Park Blvd to E 180 St in both directions.

Southbound service will resume its regular route at E 180 St and Webster Ave. Northbound service will resume its regular route at Bedford Park Blvd and Webster Ave. 

All corresponding stops along the detour route will be made as requested. 

DETOURS  Posted: 06/01/2020 10:33PM

Q32 buses are detoured in both directions because of protests in the area of Fifth Ave between 60th St and 42nd St. 

While detoured:

Penn Station-bound buses will run along Lexington Av and resume its regular route at 5 Av and 42 St. 

Queens-bound buses will run along 3 Av and resume its regular route at 3 Ave and 59 St. 

All corresponding stops along detour routes will be made as requested. 

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020 12:21AM

M42 buses are detoured in both directions because of protest street closures along 42 St. 

While detoured, westbound buses will travel along 49 St and resume its regular route at 9 Ave and 42 St. Eastbound buses will travel along 50 St and resume its regular route at Lexington Ave and 42 St. 

All corresponding stops along 49 St and 50 St will be made as requested. 

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020 12:03AM

Southbound M20 buses are detoured onto Ninth Ave because of protests on Columbus Ave. All stops will be made as requested before buses resume on their regular route after 34 St.

DETOURS  Posted: 06/01/2020 10:49PM

Southbound M101, M102 and M103 buses are detoured because of FDNY activity in the vicinity of midtown on Lexington Av. 

While detoured, buses will run along 2 Ave from 72 St to 57 St, resuming its regular route at 57 St and Lexington Ave. 

All corresponding stops will be made along 2 Av as requested. 

Some Updates. Several Bronx Truncations, and several Manhattan overnight enhanced service has been reduced. Queens express bus service will all make stops along 3rd Ave only. Unfortunately, they have the advisory wrong for the Queens express, as it should note the QM6 and the QM17 (which isn't even noted). 

PART SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/02/2020  1:15AM

Bx12 and Bx15 bus routes end terminate early along its route due to NYPD and protest activity in the Bronx. 

Westbound Bx12 buses are terminating at Southern Blvd at the Bronx Park Bx19 bus stop. East bound Bx12 bus service also begins at this bus stop. 

Northbound Bx15 buses are terminating at E 187 St. Southbound Bx15 service begins at this bus stop. 

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020  2:16AM

Bx11 buses are detoured in both directions because of Police activity in the area of E 170 St. 

While detoured, buses will run along E 167 St between Jerome Ave and Grand Concourse in both directions. 

All corresponding stops along Jerome Ave, E 167 St and the Grand Concourse will be made as requested. 

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 06/02/2020  1:40AM

M2 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential employee and must travel. 

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 06/02/2020  1:38AM

M3 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential employee and must travel. 

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 06/02/2020  1:36AM

M102 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential employee and must travel. 

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020  2:10AM

Southbound M2, M3, M4 and M5 buses are detoured because of Police activity in the area of 5 Ave and 57 St. 

While detoured, southbound buses will run along Lexington Av from 57 St to 42 St making all corresponding stops as requested. Service will resume its regular route after 42 St. 

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020  1:25AM

M34-SBS and M34A-SBS buses are detoured in both directions because of Police and protest activity along 34 St. 

While detoured, M34-SBS and M34A-SBS buses will run along 23 St in both directions making all corresponding stops as requested. Westbound service will resume after 8 Ave and eastbound service will resume after Madison Ave. 

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 06/02/2020  1:42AM

Q46 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential employee and must travel. 

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020  2:03AM

Eastbound QM2, QM4, QM6 and QM20 buses are detoured in Manhattan because of protests on Sixth Ave. All buses will make all stops as requested along Third Ave.

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

DETOURS  Posted: 06/02/2020 12:03AM

Southbound M20 buses are detoured onto Ninth Ave because of protests on Columbus Ave. All stops will be made as requested before buses resume on their regular route after 34 St.

Wait, so they're shifted to 9th Avenue because of protests on 9th Avenue?

52 minutes ago, Lex said:

Wait, so they're shifted to 9th Avenue because of protests on 9th Avenue?

No, I think the MTA is relying too much on computers to instruct passengers. The plan could've been handled better with paper schedules and dispatches guiding passengers to safety.

All overnight BM3 service is suspended for tonight/tomorrow morning:

SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/07/2020  7:48PM

BM3 bus service is canceled for the remainder of the evening and through the overnight as we work to provide as much service with the crews available to us.

For travel alternatives, see mta.info

56 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

All overnight BM3 service is suspended for tonight/tomorrow morning:

SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/07/2020  7:48PM

BM3 bus service is canceled for the remainder of the evening and through the overnight as we work to provide as much service with the crews available to us.

For travel alternatives, see mta.info

They really need to have the BM2 make BM3 stops on Coney Island and Church Avenues...