Replacement nighttime bus service for subway shutdown

The MTA promised they would replace overnight subway service with bus service, but in Brooklyn at least. I see no new bus routes. Borough Park is totally devoid of bus service except for the B11. No replacement for the D or N Lines. No subway or bus service between 5 Ave and 18 Av and between 50 Street and 86 St. Not acceptable.

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight?fbclid=IwAR1lfkKza7oLqiyaB790uIqUXyHvwNyp_Ea4eO_rwwJAKqAO8Cv1BBloviE

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

The MTA promised they would replace overnight subway service with bus service, but in Brooklyn at least. I see no new bus routes. Borough Park is totally devoid of bus service except for the B11. No replacement for the D or N Lines. No subway or bus service between 5 Ave and 18 Av and between 50 Street and 86 St. Not acceptable.

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight?fbclid=IwAR1lfkKza7oLqiyaB790uIqUXyHvwNyp_Ea4eO_rwwJAKqAO8Cv1BBloviE

Apparently this overnight work is overtime and a lot of drivers aren't taking the work....

1 hour ago, Collin said:

So they've got empty trains running all night that people aren't allowed to ride, and they can't even put in place extra bus routes that people can ride.  This whole shutdown makes zero sense.

Like TSA at the airports, it’s an exercise in appearing to do something meaningful that actually is a deterioration from the previous situation.

There’s no reason why with this shutdown they couldn’t create amalgamated OWL SBS routes that mirrored the subway routes they were to replace.

But given they barely had 10 days to figure this out, I’m not going to judge harshly. But putting more thought into this beyond “we’ll make daytime routes run overnight and pay overtime” would’ve been a smarter approach (and possibly made the bus revamp project “better”).

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

Like TSA at the airports, it’s an exercise in appearing to do something meaningful that actually is a deterioration from the previous situation.

There’s no reason why with this shutdown they couldn’t create amalgamated OWL SBS routes that mirrored the subway routes they were to replace.

But given they barely had 10 days to figure this out, I’m not going to judge harshly. But putting more thought into this beyond “we’ll make daytime routes run overnight and pay overtime” would’ve been a smarter approach (and possibly made the bus revamp project “better”).

I'm hoping they are flexible enough to keep adapting the overnight service based on feedback. Maybe they will learn to be more flexible in general from this whole disaster

On 5/6/2020 at 1:08 PM, Deucey said:

Probably needs a new pick to establish new routes.