Draft/(Unofficial) Long Island bus redesign

On 5/24/2020 at 8:15 PM, B35 via Church said:

So... what do you think about NICE proposing running express buses to/from Manhattan ?

dd9O2V5.png

MDE: Hicksville-Great Neck: Weekdays only

Manhattan-bound: Pickup at Hicksville Station at n20H Bus Stop, stop at North Broadway/Columbia Drive, onto Long Island Expressway and stop at Roslyn Clock Tower, then Great Neck on n20G Flushing stop, then non-stop to Grand Central at  40th St/Lexington Av and via FDR to Broadway/Wall St.

Nassau County-bound: Pickup at Broadway/Water St, Grand Central at 40th St/Park Av, then non-stop to Great Neck n20H/21 bus stop, then straight to Rosyln Clock Tower n20H/n23/Pt. Washington Shuttle stop, and onto LIE too North Broadway/Columbia Drive on n20H, and Hicksville Station.

MDX- Levitown-Midtown: No Comments yet

MDX- Mineola-Manhattan: Start at Mineola Bus Terminal, then same stops in Manhattan.

Return trip same also.

MDX- Belmont-Midtown- I'll revise to Special Event Belmont, Nassau Collesium, Jones Beach NIKON Theater, etc.

This should only run during special event.

14 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

A lot of motorists in Nassau and Suffolk tend to dread the LIE from Glen Cove Road right up until Cross Island Parkway. I doubt NICE wants to serve those people since it would be torment. 

The n88 to Jones Beach has high ridership because it serves city residents who want to head to the Beach for concerts and has a ticket package with the LIRR. I personally do not know if NICE will run Summer Service to Jones Beach because the County Executive really hates the Mayor of NYC for that stunt he pulled over Memorial Day . Keep in mind she won the election by vowing not to be like Ed Mangano who is currently on trial for governing the county like a mob boss. 

On 6/2/2020 at 9:35 AM, NY1635 said:

A lot of motorists in Nassau and Suffolk tend to dread the LIE from Glen Cove Road right up until Cross Island Parkway.

Yes, because both the LIE and NSP are always congested between those two points for NO reason, especially near the Oyster Bay Branch LIRR overpass.  Going east, you'll have cars casually cruising along, tapping breaks, cruising in the HOV  lane, etc, you pass Glen Cove Rd and traffic suddenly opens up. (And no, it's not because of cars exiting to the NSP, you can argue it's because of the grade change, but the highway dips down before the overpass, the vehicles should be able to maintain speed).

When traffic is "normal" again, just check google maps and you'll see both highways congested in western Nassau in both directions but usually only as far east as Roslyn Rd/Glen Cove Rd. It's also weird because they're basically next to each other until that point.

9 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, because both the LIE and NSP are always congested between those two points for NO reason, especially near the Oyster Bay Branch LIRR overpass.  Going east, you'll have cars casually cruising along, tapping breaks, cruising in the HOV  lane, etc, you pass Glen Cove Rd and traffic suddenly opens up. (And no, it's not because of cars exiting to the NSP, you can argue it's because of the grade change, but the highway dips down before the overpass, the vehicles should be able to maintain speed).

When traffic is "normal" again, just check google maps and you'll see both highways congested in western Nassau in both directions but usually only as far east as Roslyn Rd/Glen Cove Rd. It's also weird because they're basically next to each other until that point.

The thing is that Traffic is expected to be a whole lot worse on the parkways and expressways when the Long Island Region fully reopens. Protests and Riots aside, this might lead to an increase in bus usage in Nassau since Mineola lots fill up nicely before the peak hour and there's not enough space at Hicksville for people in the surrounding area to use. 

I've been straining to think and merely operated under the assumption that NICE will focus more on Nassau-Queens travel and linking Hicksville with Oyster Bay and Suffolk. The only blind spot seems to be the central part of Nassau.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:51 PM, FamousNYLover said:

- N36/N62 combination would hardly resemble a shuttle..... Thing with the old N36 was that it was more or less a coverage route that people in the areas it served hardly utilized & on top of it, people (from points north) weren't trying to get to areas south of Merrick rd. like that, to justify keeping the route afloat .... People are not ultimately trying to get to Lynbrook like that either & having people go on a grand tour of South Freeport & "industrial" Freeport before hitting LIRR Freeport (for the connection to the n40/41 [mainly]) would loom more useless than the old N36 itself was.....

At best, I would piecemeal portions of the old N36 & portions of the old N62 into other (current) routes..... Probably do something like

• have the n19 serve the same part of Freeport the N36 did (as in, running no further west than Bayview av) after serving LIRR Freeport....
  • have 1 or 2 peak hour trips on the n40/41 encircling industrial Freeport (basically serving LIRR Freeport from the north, then running over to industrial Freeport, then running back to LIRR Freeport, to terminate)
  • have a route taking over the old Lynbrook - Oceanside portion of the N36 - except it would run [past Lynbrook to Green Acres, due west] & it would run [south of Atlantic av in Oceanside, on down to the Sands shopping center]....

- Don't see it being worth it to run a Port Washington - Sands Point shuttle.... At best, I would have every peak hour, peak direction n23 trip (as in, AM towards Pt. Washington & PM towards Mineola) diverting to serve the business parks over up at Harbor Park Dr.....

- A route running in one direction between Great Neck & West Hempstead would be enough.... It's beyond ridiculous that you think you can have a route feasibly shuttle/loop back & forth, to-and-from Great Neck, serving Lake Success, Albertson, Williston Park, Mineola, Garden City, Hempstead, & West Hempstead - THEN reversing that same course (with the exception of Lake Success, running along Shelter Rock rd. in North Hills instead) to get back to Great Neck..... With the affiliation you have with NICE bus, you of all people should know better than that.....

- On paper, I like the Hicksville-Wantagh route; you'll definitely garner more patronage running along S. Broadway (compared to Jerusalem av).... At the same time though, I doubt the old N74 portion of the route (between Hempstead Tpke. & Merrick rd) would singularly do any better..... Bear in mind though that the old N74 didn't run south of Merrick rd. to turnaround....

On 6/1/2020 at 6:51 PM, FamousNYLover said:

FREEPORT- I wouldn't combine the former ridership base of the n62/n36. All you will be serving in that case is the old n62 ridership. No one will ride thru the entire freeport loop to get to Freeport to transfer.

PW/Sand Point- NICE already has a route that serves the same area (port washington shuttle). The question is how to serve that loop in Port Washington and Sand Point on one bus? The ridership base is entirely different south of Port Washington compared to north of it. I think it should be three separate routes

GN-Hempstead- I like the idea of a bus connecting Great Neck to Hubs in the middle of the island. I would however stay off the LIE. I would keep the (bus) on Northern Blvd and run via the n23 route after Roslyn Clock Tower. This would provide more frequent service along Willis Ave, and reduce the amount of 20H towards Hicksville. I would end the bus at Mineola however. People needing the other hubs could transfer at Mineola. 

Edited by Mtatransit

13 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

FREEPORT- I wouldn't combine the former ridership base of the n62/n36. All you will be serving in that case is the old n62 ridership. No one will ride thru the entire freeport loop to get to Freeport to transfer.

PW/Sand Point- NICE already has a route that serves the same area (port washington shuttle). The question is how to serve that loop in Port Washington and Sand Point on one bus? The ridership base is entirely different south of Port Washington compared to north of it. I think it should be three separate routes

GN-Hempstead- I like the idea of a bus connecting Great Neck to Hubs in the middle of the island. I would however stay off the LIE. I would keep the (bus) on Northern Blvd and run via the n23 route after Roslyn Clock Tower. This would provide more frequent service along Willis Ave, and reduce the amount of 20H towards Hicksville. I would end the bus at Mineola however. People needing the other hubs could transfer at Mineola. 

They should bring back the old N59 route.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:23 AM, NY1635 said:

The thing is that Traffic is expected to be a whole lot worse on the parkways and expressways when the Long Island Region fully reopens. Protests and Riots aside, this might lead to an increase in bus usage in Nassau since Mineola lots fill up nicely before the peak hour and there's not enough space at Hicksville for people in the surrounding area to use. 

I've been straining to think and merely operated under the assumption that NICE will focus more on Nassau-Queens travel and linking Hicksville with Oyster Bay and Suffolk. The only blind spot seems to be the central part of Nassau.

People are still germaphobic so they're going to try to avoid public transportation

23 hours ago, Hound said:

Mineola-Great Neck via Old Country Rd-Herricks Rd-Marcus Ave-Lakeville Rd.

With the Queens Bus Redesign plan having a bus from Jamaica go to LIJ Hospital (QT36) and North Shore Hospital (QT34), and since both are more frequent than the current N26, maybe if those routes get implemented, NICE should change the N26 routing to this old N59 routing. Most of the streets the N59 covered except for Marcus Ave have no bus service now, so I think reviving it might be a good idea. It’ll give people coming from Mineola a one seat trip to LIJ and Great Neck. It could either run AM to Great Neck and PM to Mineola, or both directions, just a little less frequent than the current N26.

• 1 year later...