Draft/(Unofficial) Long Island bus redesign

The only way this plan would work is if the LIRR would accept a free "Metrocard transfer" all the way to Manhattan/Brooklyn, including during overloaded peak trains.  The people who ride the bus don't do it because they want to.  They do it since they can hardly afford the $2.75.  They can't afford one penny more.

Not ever gonna happen.

All I can say is, thank God you're not in charge of a Bee Line redesign if it ever happened. What? You'll cut off all the routes at the county line and say good ole Metro North is across the street. If NICE ever did a redesign, it would probably cater to intra county travel and Queens Nassau travel. 

The thing about NICE is, once you get a car, it's not appealing, unless you're commuting by subway because parking and traffic sucks. Other than that...

I used to give the benefit of the doubt for discretionary trips, leave my car home and walk to the NICE bus stop. What happened numerous times? FLAGGED! No thanks.

On 5/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, RtrainBlues said:

This is the worst idea I have ever seen.

Huge amounts of people ride the N24, N22/N22x, N4/N4x and N6/N6x from Long Island into Jamaica.  The reason why they do it is since they can't afford the LIRR, even at off-peak fares.  They transfer to Queens local buses at major transfer points or to the E/F/J train.  Much cheaper to get from Freeport to Midtown Manhattan for $2.75 rather than $14.00 peak on the LIRR.

If NICE bus can't go to the subways, they might as well shut down.  The Queens buses would be overwhelmed if they had 50+ people attempting to board them at their first stop in easternmost Queens.

Not to mention that since NICE buses are closed door and are much faster than Queens buses, they really do zoom past all the Queens routes, especially on Hillside Ave. It's almost like a premium service in that sense, you see the people on the Queens routes dreadfully watching the NICE buses zipping by as their bus pokes along. (That is not something a Queens Redesign is going to help with if the B/O themselves are going +/-20MPH). 20MPH is like motorized bike speed, but that's another story.

Another example is the inter-county ridership. Many people use the Springfield Blvd stop on the N6, so instead of an additional 2-3 min ride on the bus, you want them to transfer and wait up to 10 mins or more for a Q2/Q110 or (QT38)?

11 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

....If NICE ever did a redesign, it would probably cater to intra county travel and Queens Nassau travel. 

I'd say it'd be akin to a larger version of Rockland's bus network.... Only exception being, Nassau would keep the inter-county routes.

10 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The thing about NICE is, once you get a car, it's not appealing, unless you're commuting by subway because parking and traffic sucks. Other than that...

I used to give the benefit of the doubt for discretionary trips, leave my car home and walk to the NICE bus stop. What happened numerous times? FLAGGED! No thanks.

Not to mention that since NICE buses are closed door and are much faster than Queens buses, they really do zoom past all the Queens routes, especially on Hillside Ave. It's almost like a premium service in that sense, you see the people on the Queens routes dreadfully watching the NICE buses zipping by as their bus pokes along. (That is not something a Queens Redesign is going to help with if the B/O themselves are going +/-20MPH). 20MPH is like motorized bike speed, but that's another story.

Another example is the inter-county ridership. Many people use the Springfield Blvd stop on the N6, so instead of an additional 2-3 min ride on the bus, you want them to transfer and wait up to 10 mins or more for a Q2/Q110 or (QT38)?

No, have this guy tell it, the resources being used to run a "premium"-like service through Queens to/from the subway, should instead be better distributed by having two separate bus routes running between LIRR Bellmore & Levittown (one via North Bellmore & the other via East Meadow).... Now just wtf is there on Salisbury Park dr. between the Wantagh state & Newbridge? And good luck ending the other route smack in the middle of residential Levittown....

Right from the horse's mouth:

"Cutting those back to the city line would free up a significant amount of resources that could be dedicated towards increasing frequency on LI routes or expanding bus service to people who have no options now."

It's a problem when existing routes are carrying a dozen riders per bus on only hourly service - but apparently, that problem would evaporate by having MORE buses running throughout the county with even LESS riders on them? I'm not sure if the rest of his fellow detractors have picked up on it, but his arguments are actually centered around quantity of service, not quality..... In other words, he's selling quantity under the guise of quality - which is an attempt to urbanize Nassau county's bus system in an insular fashion.... But yet, LI's current transit network is segregated? Man, GTFOH.....

I've had enough of the wacky adventures here in bizarro world & I'm not being featured in the next exciting episode....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 5/10/2020 at 7:04 PM, lirr42 said:

In a similar vein with the local bus network redesigns currently underway in the city, I thought it would be an interesting exercise to work out some ideas for redesigning the NICE/SCT/HART bus networks on Long Island.  I am curious if anyone here has any comments or thoughts...  The map below shows (roughly) the realigned routes and the particulars about frequency, connections, etc. shown in the descriptions.

DRAFT LI Bus Redesign (v3)

The draft network was imagined as a "clean slate", starting over from scratch with a much greater focus towards feeding the LIRR (instead of running largely duplicative routes), connecting rail lines to existing job hubs, and filling in the gas in the rail network (e.g. frequent north-south routes), along with an overall eye towards increasing frequency and decreasing the length of runs to improve reliability and save on down-time.  The redesigned network is meant to be viewed holistically and as part of a larger modernization effort for LI transit (including increasing frequency/speed and standardizing service patterns on the LIRR, and reducing fares to more affordable levels).  In other words, it shouldn't be thought of only in the context of existing routes, where there is demand for bus ridership now, etc.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions... Thanks

I don't believe the people you are trying to attract will materialize in the way you mentioned. n14, n62 were all shuttles from another era where people in those communities DO take the bus. I don't believe they exist anymore. Plus many of your routes goes down residential streets and communities that would not want the bus down there in the first place because it brings the so called "undesirables"

But looking at Bee Line, maybe the market for LIRR-Neighborhood shuttle still exist, but I don't see how it will gather ridership thats better than n14,62. Free ride with train ticket?

It is a really bad idea to end all service at City Line. While you may think you could reallocate those resourses into the Nassau portion of the line, more than 80% of the ridership will simply vanish. We can't build a new bus system by destroying its existing ridership base.

I think my vision of LI bus service in Nassau is to operate high frequency routes along major corriders (Hempstead, Hillside. Jerchio, Merrick,Hempstead, etc) and these routes would feed into hubs (RF, Hempstead, NCC, Freeport, Hicksville). There will be secondary routes that perferrably will all arrive and leave at the same time out of Hempstead, RF, Freeport, Hicksville into their communities). This reduces transfer time between routes, perserves the routes with highest ridership and reduces potential duplication. Of course there will still be routes outside this hub and spoke, but essentially this converts most of Nassau's system into Hubs-Spoke. 

It would look very similar to Dayton's bus network. Downtown Hub- NW/S/N/E/W Hubs and radical routes orginating from these hubs

4 hours ago, Tom Meadow said:

This topic reminds me of when Pinepowerli was suspected of stealing people’s idea on the n15 in 2016....

This topic simply amounts to dude defiantly defending his proposal.... Nobody has any real heat for him personally.

The drama you're bringing up back then with pinesniffer OTOH was much more intense (if that's what you're getting at).....

36 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

This topic simply amounts to dude defiantly defending his proposal.... Nobody has any real heat for him personally.

The drama you're bringing up back then with pinesniffer OTOH was much more intense (if that's what you're getting at).....

What does otoh mean and I respect this person for his idea some of may seem silly but I see where he is going.

37 minutes ago, Tom Meadow said:

What does otoh mean.....

On the other hand.

35 minutes ago, Tom Meadow said:

I miss the days of bashing Pinepowerli and his companions but this site and a lot  of us including me have moved on from those days even though every time I am on here I feel this fourm has dried up a lot.

Yeah, the forum is a lot more tame than it used to be.... The lightning rods of yesteryear either got banned from here or ventured off elsewhere on their own... Whatever.

Pineyboy got ran off here, subchat, and city-data (when THAT forum gets sick of you, it's saying something - the elitism in the LI section there is quite rampant).... He still makes videos on youtube, but it's mainly about:

• weather related shit
  • him (still) venturing off into the woods, talking about a whole bunch of nothing, while having orgasms over "those great shapes" in the process
  • bi**hing about how privileged the south shore of Nassau is & how the middle of the island is being neglected - due to finance professionals on wall street, or some goofy shit (basically, a new spin on how he conveys his envy of the rich)....

Seldom, if ever talks about NICE bus - but does bring up the LIRR from time to time..... One thing I don't miss about taking the LIRR, are those homeless dudes staking out under the overpass at Mineola station on the Manhattan bound side... I hope one of those homeless dudes at that station catches him filming them & smashes whatever he's using as a recording device into fifty million pieces....

30 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

On the other hand.

Yeah, the forum is a lot more tame than it used to be.... The lightning rods of yesteryear either got banned from here or ventured off elsewhere on their own... Whatever.

Pineyboy got ran off here, subchat, and city-data (when THAT forum gets sick of you, it's saying something - the elitism in the LI section there is quite rampant).... He still makes videos on youtube, but it's mainly about:

• weather related shit
  • him (still) venturing off into the woods, talking about a whole bunch of nothing, while having orgasms over "those great shapes" in the process
  • bi**hing about how privileged the south shore of Nassau is & how the middle of the island is being neglected - due to finance professionals on wall street, or some goofy shit (basically, a new spin on how he conveys his envy of the rich)....

Seldom, if ever talks about NICE bus - but does bring up the LIRR from time to time..... One thing I don't miss about taking the LIRR, are those homeless dudes staking out under the overpass at Mineola station on the Manhattan bound side... I hope one of those homeless dudes at that station catches him filming them & smashes whatever he's using as a recording device into fifty million pieces....

Him having a orgasm in the woods over a tree hey everyone has there thing.I wish the some random would do that sorry for going off topic on this fourm I can’t imagine a person would wine and cry about the smallest things in life and how he got over 2000 subs is another story.

Have people seen this NICE plan for redesigning the system? https://www.nicebus.com/NICE/media/nicebus-pdfs/Let-s-Go-V2-Final-May-2018.pdf

More "frequent" routes, the introduction of direct Manhattan expresses, they even threw in the words "light rail" and are proposing SBS-like features on some routes.

I'll believe it when I see it, personally.

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Have people seen this NICE plan for redesigning the system? https://www.nicebus.com/NICE/media/nicebus-pdfs/Let-s-Go-V2-Final-May-2018.pdf

More "frequent" routes, the introduction of direct Manhattan expresses, they even threw in the words "light rail" and are proposing SBS-like features on some routes.

Yeah, I remember someone posted that PDF on here, way back when... I also remember scoffing at it.

Funny thing about that plan is that it's the antithesis of what the OP's proposing :lol:

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I love this plan rather then java's.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:46 PM, Tom Meadow said:

Him having a orgasm in the woods over a tree hey everyone has there thing.I wish the some random would do that sorry for going off topic on this fourm I can’t imagine a person would wine and cry about the smallest things in life and how he got over 2000 subs is another story.

He has 2000 subs cause his videos are entertaining. His video about Phil Murphy closing the parks in NJ is classic... Dude is damn near cutting a wrestling promo.

Yea the things he complains about is silly but its entertaining, another youtuber even tried to copy his formula of making videos, made a video saying the Q27 is the Babylon Branch of QV depot LMAO. 

27 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

He has 2000 subs cause his videos are entertaining. His video about Phil Murphy closing the parks in NJ is classic... Dude is damn near cutting a wrestling promo.

** youtube video **

Yea the things he complains about is silly but its entertaining, another youtuber even tried to copy his formula of making videos, made a video saying the Q27 is the Babylon Branch of QV depot LMAO.

For as long as he's been on YT, 2k subs aint shit.... Continually threatening to leave YT due to being detrimental to his mental illness, stress, IBS, or whatever fabrication he wants people to believe as to why he's made a career out of living off the public dole, didn't help his growth (among other things)....

I don't mind CTFU over watching a train wreck from time to time, but to actually sub' to someone that's as whimperous & whimsical as he is? More power to those 2000 people.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I think this video is off-topic from these prosal.

More Frequent Serivce:

n1, n22, n24, n32, n43, n48/49 and n71/n72. buses I agree.

n72 Need to be restore to Babylon Station.

More express service

n4X: More trips during rush hour, I agree.

n20X: Follow originate n20L, stopping at 

n22X: More trips during rush hour, I agree. 

n24X: I agree.

Evening/Late Night:

n1- Agree but when Green Acres Mall is closed, operate between Elmont and Gibson Station skipping Green Acres Mall.

n4

n22- 24 hours, during midnight, every 60 minutes.

n24- Late evening trips end/originate at Mineola. Continue service east of Mineola, take n22.

n40/41: Agree.

n43: Agree.

n70/71/72: Agree late evening service on n71/72.

Weekend Service:

n1, n22, n24, n40/41, n43, n71/72 I agree.

n27- Extend to Roosevelt Field.

I'll comment on HUBX and Midtown Direct Express soon.

Not that I see any of it happening, but theoretically, the areas that should be targeted for express bus service aren't the areas that already have LIRR service..... And good luck having buses serve GCT and Wall Street :lol: - MTA express buses/network can't even do that efficiently!

On 5/25/2020 at 9:01 AM, FamousNYLover said:

I'll comment on HUBX and Midtown Direct Express soon.

Yeah, I bet....

You could've skipped the local bus commentary; I already knew where you stand on them.....

@B35 via Church Funny enough the QMT106 proposed by the MTA does Belmont Park - Downtown. (I personally think that ridership base is way too narrow. If they proposed a branch of the X68 to Downtown I'd be a little more on-board)

I used think maybe a Levittown-Manhattan route would be fair but the problem is that the highway network doesn't really make it feasible. 

On 5/28/2020 at 5:24 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church Funny enough the QMT106 proposed by the MTA does Belmont Park - Downtown. (I personally think that ridership base is way too narrow. If they proposed a branch of the X68 to Downtown I'd be a little more on-board)

I used think maybe a Levittown-Manhattan route would be fair but the problem is that the highway network doesn't really make it feasible. 

That QMT106 I see carrying air for several reasons (too few trips, catchment area too narrow, low demand for service of the sort, long runtime/poor routing choice, among other things)..... Who wants to sit on a bus moving sluggishly (on the quote-unquote nonstop portion of the thing) along the Clearview up to the LIE, clear along the LIE from the Clearview to the BQE, and along the BQE, enroute to the Williamsburg Bridge..... Something like that would rival that proposed scrapped BxM17....

The highway layout/network doesn't help, but all things considered, Levittown is proximate enough to the Babylon line or the main line.... You could have a bus solely encircling (or otherwise extensively/wholly serving) Levittown & it still wouldn't catch on..... It's part of the reason they have those peak Wantagh expresses on the LIRR (Penn → only stopping at Bellmore, Merrick, and Wantagh.... NO Jamaica !!)

On 5/28/2020 at 5:31 AM, B35 via Church said:

Not that I see any of it happening, but theoretically, the areas that should be targeted for express bus service aren't the areas that already have LIRR service..... And good luck having buses serve GCT and Wall Street :lol: - MTA express buses/network can't even do that efficiently!

This is a good point; I would expect the very obvious candidate for a NICE express bus to be Roosevelt Field/"Nassau Hub" - Midtown. In fact didn't they run that during the "Summer of Hell" nonsense?

11 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

This is a good point; I would expect the very obvious candidate for a NICE express bus to be Roosevelt Field/"Nassau Hub" - Midtown. In fact didn't they run that during the "Summer of Hell" nonsense?

Yep.... Along with Nassau Coliseum, Belmont Park, Melville P&R (along the LIE service rd north, just east of 110), Bethpage State Park parking lot, and Port Washington (North Hempstead beach park parking lot).....