Community Advisory Board for Fifth Av Busway Project

Via Garibaldi 8

35847076_10155779306277887_6843551501617

I was invited to be part of the Community Advisory Board (CAB) for the upcoming 5th Avenue busway project, to be completed this summer, as 5th Avenue is a major express bus corridor. Of course I will be strongly advocating for express bus commuters. We will be having meetings very soon.  I created this thread to keep everyone abreast of the developments as discussed with the Department of Transportation (DOT).

9 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

I guess maybe it's a little bit early to ask this, but will there be any allowance for car traffic, or will all lanes be converted?

Why would there be any allowance for car traffic, it's a busway..... And look at the picture in the OP - it's not going to be every lane (lol), only for the right-most 2 lanes.

https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/5th-ave-61-34th-sept2017.pdf

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church That photo is when they added the second bus lane. This busway would make it purely for buses.

Unless you're trying to make some underlying point, this should be directed at Rapido....

Is the busway going to be one lane, or two?

Edited by B35 via Church

49 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Unless you're trying to make some underlying point, this should be directed at Rapido....

Is the busway going to be one lane, or two?

5th Avenue already has two bus lanes next to each other.

Unless I'm mistaken, a "busway" means all the road's lanes are reserved for buses.

Edited by P3F

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church That photo is when they added the second bus lane. This busway would make it purely for buses.

1 hour ago, P3F said:

....Unless I'm mistaken, a "busway" means all the road's lanes are reserved for buses.

Alright, now I see what Checkmate is getting at..... I have never known of a busway to having to include every lane of traffic on some roadway... A BRT network with buses still running adjacent to other traffic can also be construed as that of running along a busway..... Buses running along some stretch of highway where 1 or 2 lanes are dedicated strictly for buses, can be said to be running along a busway.....

So if every lane along 5th av is to be dedicated to having buses running along it, then I stand corrected.... That is crazy excessive, if that's the plan.

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

So if every lane along 5th av is to be dedicated to having buses running along it, then I stand corrected.... That is crazy excessive, if that's the plan.

It’s only going to be between 57th and ..I believe 34th Street, I have to double check. 

Also, does anyone have any insight on whether or not the 5th Avenue busway is going to make the Street a two way street in the section that it’s being implemented in or no?

12 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

It’s only going to be between 57th and ..I believe 34th Street, I have to double check.

Yeah, I understand it's not going to be along all of 5th av....

12 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Also, does anyone have any insight on whether or not the 5th Avenue busway is going to make the Street a two way street in the section that it’s being implemented in or no?

You mean like they did with Glenwood b/w Rockaway Pkwy. & E. 103rd...

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, I understand it's not going to be along all of 5th av....

You mean like they did with Glenwood b/w Rockaway Pkwy. & E. 103rd...

The difference with that is that eastbound cars are still allowed (also I forget offhand, is there a bus lane in the eastbound direction or do buses just move in the general traffic?)

I've seen talks about it on some blogs (Streetsblog, Transit Center, etc) that they are considering a 2-way busway (similar to 14th Street) but then the obvious question is, what happens to the buses on Madison if that's the case?

The difference with that is that eastbound cars are still allowed

(also I forget offhand, is there a bus lane in the eastbound direction or do buses just move in the general traffic?)

The bus only lane along Glenwood road is only in the WB direction.... Nothing's changed EB....

I've seen talks about it on some blogs (Streetsblog, Transit Center, etc) that they are considering a 2-way busway (similar to 14th Street) but then the obvious question is, what happens to the buses on Madison if that's the case?

IDK, but I wouldn't care for the fact that NB buses would have to turn onto 34th & off of 57th just to use a bi-directional busway of sorts... That just screams counter-productive...

Edited by B35 via Church

@B35 via Church My understanding is it will be similar to the 14th Street busway. Cars will be allowed but will have to turn off at the next available right turn, so essentially just for pick-ups or drop-offs and then off of 5th Avenue. There are some particulars that need to be discussed. When I have more info from the DOT, I'll be sure to share.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks for the heads up. This just says July for the meetings, so I have no idea about specific dates, but I'll inquire, as I'm curious myself.

Just learned today that I'll be joined on the advisory board by another express bus advocate in my group who also has her own group... Filippa Grisafi.  She's been fighting to improve express bus service on Staten island for at least two years, and it's been great working with her.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8