Best and Worst Jobs in Subdivisions A and B for T/O's and C/R's

8 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

To be honest, you'll have a much better chance of having this question answered if moved to the Transit Employment sub-forum.

The employment section of this online transit forum is dedicated to the civil service exam process, administrative/medical follow-up, and any other related pre-appointment questions that prospects may have. This topic addresses T/O's and C/R's with seniority sufficient enough to pick jobs with a steady schedule.

Here are some of my opinions:

Subdivision A: (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(S)

(1) - 7th Avenue Local:

· I personally wouldn't want to be stuck working this line during the AM or PM rush; too chaotic.

(2) - 7th Avenue Express:

· Too much cab-time for my liking; especially those overnight trips from Flatbush to Wakefield and vice versa. Also, don't forget those G.O.'s that'll weigh you down even further. To me, it's one of the worst assignments that I can think of.

(3) - 7th Avenue Express:

· A sweet gig to work during the day and overnights isn't too shabby either as it remains an express line and only operates as a shuttle.

(4) - Lexington Avenue Express:

· Working this line during the day might be OK, but Jerome Avenue tends to drag along like the (2) does on Westchester Avenue or White Plains Road. Not only that, but all it takes is something minor to transpire and Jerome Avenue takes the hit. That stint in The Bronx is infamous for that. Just like the (2), an overnight pick on the (4) results in suffering. I view the line as marginally better than the overnight (2), but only because Lexington Avenue saves it some runtime.

(5)<5> - Lexington Avenue Express:

· A pick that includes an express <5> trip is probably one of the best jobs in my opinion. (Not including those trips that terminate at Nereid Avenue.) Midnights, the (5) shuttle between E. 180th Street and Dyre Avenue isn't that bad. It's less than 15 minutes if I recall correctly.

(6)<6> - Lexington Avenue Local

· See my reasoning for not wanting to work the (1) line.

(7)<7> - Flushing Local/Express

· Due to this line's length, expect to be thrown back and forth several times everyday. Unless I'm able to pick a job with satisfactory recovery time in between trips, I wouldn't choose working the (7) if I were able to avoid it.

(S) - 42nd Street Shuttle

· I wouldn't do this to myself if I had a choice. 2 stations. 8 hours. No, thank you.

In addition to these, how do you guys feel about terminal switching jobs? Yard jobs?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 7:00 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

(1) - 7th Avenue Local:

· I personally wouldn't want to be stuck working this line during the AM or PM rush; too chaotic.

· Too much cab-time for my liking; especially those overnight trips from Flatbush to Wakefield and vice versa. Also, don't forget those G.O.'s that'll weigh you down even further. To me, it's one of the worst assignments that I can think of.

· A sweet gig to work during the day and overnights isn't too shabby either as it remains an express line and only operates as a shuttle.

· Working this line during the day might be OK, but Jerome Avenue tends to drag along like the (2) does on Westchester Avenue or White Plains Road. Not only that, but all it takes is something minor to transpire and Jerome Avenue takes the hit. That stint in The Bronx is infamous for that. Just like the (2), an overnight pick on the (4) results in suffering. I view the line as marginally better than the overnight (2), but only because Lexington Avenue saves it some runtime.

· A pick that includes an express <5> trip is probably one of the best jobs in my opinion. (Not including those trips that terminate at Nereid Avenue.) Midnights, the (5) shuttle between E. 180th Street and Dyre Avenue isn't that bad. It's less than 15 minutes if I recall correctly.

· Due to this line's length, expect to be thrown back and forth several times everyday. Unless I'm able to pick a job with satisfactory recovery time in between trips, I wouldn't choose working the (7) if I were able to avoid it.

· I wouldn't do this to myself if I had a choice. 2 stations. 8 hours. No, thank you.

In addition to these, how do you guys feel about terminal switching jobs? Yard jobs?

Once you have enough seniority to pick a job (no more being assigned a daily job by the crew office) you pick jobs as close to home as possible and with days off that work for you. 

The difficulty of the job is secondary so you can avoid excess travel to/from work.

You guys look at this from a rail fans' perspective, the employee not so much.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

That's a good point.  For example, someone living in Brooklyn and working for the A Division would not want to pick a (2) job, because it's a long trip all the way up to Wakefield 241st Street just to even start work.  I think I'd much rather take a job close to home even if it were less desirable.

From a rail fan perspective, I think working the (A) would be fun, mainly for the scenery crossing Jamaica Bay.  In terms of the difficulty of a job, I think there's a balance for the length of the route.  The (2)(6)(A)(D)(F) are super long, so fewer end changes, but you also don't get a break very often.  On the other hand, the (E)(G)(W) are rather short, and even moreso for the shuttles, so while there's less time actually in the cab, you get to change ends a lot and see the same few stations over and over again.

Another question I had is which lines don't have the crew change at a terminal station?  I know for the (D), the crew change is at Bedford Park Boulevard even though the terminal is Norwood 205th Street.  Any others like that?

2 hours ago, Collin said:

That's a good point.  For example, someone living in Brooklyn and working for the A Division would not want to pick a (2) job, because it's a long trip all the way up to Wakefield 241st Street just to even start work.  I think I'd much rather take a job close to home even if it were less desirable.

From a rail fan perspective, I think working the (A) would be fun, mainly for the scenery crossing Jamaica Bay.  In terms of the difficulty of a job, I think there's a balance for the length of the route.  The (2)(6)(A)(D)(F) are super long, so fewer end changes, but you also don't get a break very often.  On the other hand, the (E)(G)(W) are rather short, and even moreso for the shuttles, so while there's less time actually in the cab, you get to change ends a lot and see the same few stations over and over again.

Another question I had is which lines don't have the crew change at a terminal station?  I know for the (D), the crew change is at Bedford Park Boulevard even though the terminal is Norwood 205th Street.  Any others like that?

I’m not trying to be ‘that guy’, but I have to agree with @RTOMan here there’s just something’s that you have to experience for yourself. Lines that have longer run times tend to have decent recovery time & more depending on the actual job you’re working and I’ll leave it at that.

When they had the G.O on the (N) line the crew change happened at Kings Highway, but barring any G.O’s the (D) is the only one that does that regularly.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:00 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

The (2)(4)(A)(N) must be brutal at night given the lengths and number of station stops and/or slow curves:

• (2): 1.83 hours (60 stops)
  • (4): 1.47 hours (46 stops)
  • (A): 1.78 hours (58 stops)
  • (N): 1.48 hours (44 stops)

I took a look at a few other nighttime routes and surprisingly there were some other rivals for duration/number of stops even though they had long express runs. In case of express-to-local service changes, they might actually be the absolute worse trips:

• (D): 1.63 hours (40 stops)
  • (F): 1.78 hours (54 stops)

The (3)(5)(M)(R)(S) are probably the best if you just want to bounce between terminals quickly and want to avoid getting snagged by delays mid-route. Something about bathroom breaks and such?

• (3): 0.40 hours (8 stops)
  • (5): 0.20 hours (5 stops)
  • (M): 0.42 hours (12 stops)
  • (R): 0.53 hours (10 stops)
  • (S) (42 Street Shuttle): 0.03 hours (1 stop)
  • (S) (Franklin Avenue Shuttle): 0.12 hours (3 stops)
  • (S) (Rockaway Beach Shuttle): 0.13 hours (4 stops)

I have come to find that longer routes like the (A) and the (F) are actually not bad at all. Just doing two trips on those lines is better than doing multiple trips on the others especially lines like the (G) and the (L) where they make you do four or five trips and you have only enough time to just walk to the other end and head back to Church or Rockaway Parkway.

In the end, it depends on your own preference.

As for OT question, I'll echo what others have said where you gotta find out for yourself, but best jobs to do are the ones where you do less work and still get paid just as much as other jobs. 😁

Edited by Jericho

On 6/29/2020 at 12:51 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Once you have enough seniority to pick a job (no more being assigned a daily job by the crew office) you pick jobs as close to home as possible and with days off that work for you. 

The difficulty of the job is secondary so you can avoid excess travel to/from work.

You guys look at this from a rail fans' perspective, the employee not so much.

Folks Opinions who never moved a train down regarding these lines here honestly to me are irrelevant...

Which was my point from the beginning my opinion as well nothing more....

If some folks cant deal with me being real oh well...

Edited by RTOMan

(1) - 7th Avenue Local:

LoL! Your Opinions are Funny but you are......... Opinions! when you get inside and face the FACTS!, all that stuff you mention you dont even think about!! My Main lines are the (1) and (4) and PICK then all the time. and the (1) is not bad from a T/O perspective.

The (5) could be the WORSE line because of the unpredictablity of that line! We call that the bottom yellow! its nothing but help therefore, It can go ANYWHERE at any given time! and it has some of the Weirdest scheduling!

(7) Depending on your Seniority< you and end up you 2 trips in 8 hours or 3 trips in 10 hours or 5 trips in 8 hours...

I hate the (2) , I get annoyed on the (6). i Tolerate The (3). Just get annoyed the the R62s  at time. and as much time as i got in, I never did the (S) and i probably wont!

when you get in, YOU HAVE NO SAY ON WHERE YOURE GOING BECAUSE YOUR GOING EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!! You'll Learn that if you ever get in! Pick according to what fits your personal life.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:17 AM, Collin said:

If you live in Brooklyn and you're in the A Division YOU'RE GOING TO THE BRONX! what you have to understand is when you get in, the first 20 people or whatever number they have it at, will get to choose what division they want to be in, then the rest is going to what ever division need that man power! when your seniority goes up and you can pick jobs out of Flatbush and Livionia yard, you wont have to travel! 

Length of routes mean nothing! Its your Schedule! and some of those only routes ONLY HAVE 2 round Trippers. You will get you rest time IF YOUR ON TIME LoL.... Or you get a drop!.. but its unpredictable and you have to live it to understand it