ASSISTANCE REQUESTED FOR COMMUTER RAIL PROJECT.

remoat

I am writing from Charleston, SC. I have been trying to introduce the need for a commuter rail system in the Charleston, SC, Tri-County region for 5 years. I have emailed more than 200 persons in this area: politicians, community leaders, chambers of commerce, the media (TV and radio stations, newspapers, including reporters, editors, publishers and TV station managers). The replies have numbered Zero.

The region's population exceeds 500,000 and is growing.  The economy has added much new industry and many new residents. Our only mass transit system is a bus line that serves areas downtown and several suburbs. It has been adequate, but cannot support the area's needs much longer. There are railroad connections here for freight and passenger trains. There are rail spurs that extend downtown and link up to other rail lines in the city of North Charleston. These lines could be incorporated into a commuter rail system that would serve much of the area with approx. 100 miles of right-of-way. 

I have prepared discussions of the need for a commuter rail system in this area, which has generated zero interest. I sent the discussions to the 200 recipients mentioned above. Despite the abysmal lack of concern for such a major change, I believe the need for such a major investment of funds, land, people and time (approx. 15 years and up to one billion dollars) not only exists, but will become a critical transportation issue in less than ten years. Without a major commitment to the overhaul of Charleston's transit infrastructure, the region will suffer a devastating collapse of industry, resources, people and development of our potential.

I am writing to ask for suggestions as to how I might stimulate interest in a commuter rail concept. I considered purchasing a full-page ad in our local newspaper. Unfortunately, I have limited funds; I am supported by Social Security benefits and am unemployed.  The plan has not been seen by the general public. This is due to the lack of support from politicians and the media. Without their "go-ahead", I cannot gain access to a public platform to address a widespread audience. I have written "letters-to-the-editor" of every newspaper in the area, again without reply. I have asked local TV stations to interview me as a news feature but no reply. I have lived in Charleston for 50 years and studied the area's needs all that time. I have no experience in any skill necessary skills for the start-up of such a plan or to insure its continuation. I'm just a citizen who wants to see Charleston retain its industrial, historical and tourism interests for many years to come. I welcome your comments. Thank you.

If allowed, I would submit the discussion of a need for a commuter rail system which was sent to hundreds of people over the last five years. This would amount to four typed pages.