Man killed by train after intervening in fight at Harlem station

From ABC7:

HARLEM, New York (WABC) -- A man was pushed onto subway tracks and killed by a train Friday afternoon after intervening in a fight at a Harlem station, police said.

Police say a man was fighting two women at the 125th Street and Lenox Avenue 2/3 station around 3:25 p.m. when a good Samaritan attempted to intervene for unknown reasons.

That's when the male suspect began to fight with the man who tried to help.

According to officials, during that fight, the good Samaritan was pushed on to the subway tracks as a 2 train was approaching the platform on the southbound side.

They say he became wedged between the train and the platform and died.

A routine subway ride, came to a halt, as riders were rushed off the train to a horrifying sight.

"It was horrible, it was disgusting, I want to get more protection," witness Edward Jones said.

Commuters were shaken as they made their exit.

"It was a normal Friday, I was actually having fun with my mom, I didn't think anything like this was going to happen," witness Nicole Ruiz said. "And when I saw that ... it just messed my whole day up. I just can't imagine his family."

As emergency arrived, police closed off the station entrances.

The station remained closed for a few hours but opened back up Friday night.
Police say they are looking for the suspect who pushed the good Samaritan.

They describe him as 40 to 50 years old, 5 feet 7 inches tall, sporting an afro and wearing a white shirt and a backpack.
Police early Friday evening were interviewing the two women involved in the fight.

The investigation is ongoing.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Police say a man was fighting two women at the 125th Street and Lenox Avenue 2/3 station around 3:25 p.m. when a good Samaritan attempted to intervene for unknown reasons.

Sounds like reason enough to me for some of these dudes out here....

I'd like to know the extent of the "fight" the guy had with the two women.... Say what you want, but most guys won't wail on a woman like they would some dude....

This is where that white knighting shit will get you caught up.... Still unfortunate, but stay out of people's shit..... Times are rough enough right now.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, B35 via Church said:

Sounds like reason enough to me for some of these dudes out here....

I'd like to know the extent of the "fight" the guy had with the two women.... Say what you want, but most guys won't wail on a woman like they would some dude....

This is where that white knighting shit will get you caught up.... Still unfortunate, but stay out of people's shit..... Times are rough enough right now.

True, but I’m that guy that played the role for two intoxicated women overnight in the station because I saw two guys creeping up to try something.

I’m also the guy who risked COVID the other day helping a blind man exit BG to the yacht and to the S44 bus.

A huge reason why we’re in the social warfare we’re in is because the moments where actual change could’ve occurred, folks turned away instead of getting involved.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

True, but I’m that guy that played the role for two intoxicated women overnight in the station because I saw two guys creeping up to try something.

I’m also the guy who risked COVID the other day helping a blind man exit BG to the yacht and to the S44 bus.

A huge reason why we’re in the social warfare we’re in is because the moments where actual change could’ve occurred, folks turned away instead of getting involved.

I'm not trying to be some cold-hearted bastard - but at the same time, if you put yourself in certain situations, I'm not going to try to play savior (not saying these two women in this supposed fight did or didn't, but just generally speaking).....

More power to you for being that guy in both of those situations, but that 1st scenario, I'd have kept it pushing (I don't drink & I don't f*** with drunk people either way)..... 2nd scenario/situation I would have no problem doing....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 7/5/2020 at 11:50 PM, B35 via Church said:

More power to you for being that guy in both of those situations, but that 1st scenario, I'd have kept it pushing (I don't drink & I don't f*** with drunk people either way)..... 2nd scenario/situation I would have no problem doing....

I’d approach both situations cautiously. It’s not necessarily do-or-don’t. For example, a “blind man” may not actually be blind and is just using the opportunity to pick your pockets while you’re looking at other things for him. I could be socially responsible while being reasonably cautious by diverting some of my attention to my belongings. A man and woman fighting may similarly be two cooperating distractions for a third participant to opportunitsitcally pick the pockets of a good Samaritan; I’d just call the cops and be on my way if the cops don’t require me to stay there to keep an eye on things.

Edited by CenSin

33 minutes ago, CenSin said:

I’d approach both situations cautiously. It’s not necessarily do-or-don’t. For example, a “blind man” may not actually be blind and is just using the opportunity to pick your pockets while you’re looking at other things for him. I could be socially responsible while being reasonably cautious by diverting some of my attention to my belongings. A man and woman fighting may similarly be two cooperating distractions for a third participant to opportunitsitcally pick the pockets of a good Samaritan; I’d just call the cops and be on my way if the cops don’t require me to stay there to keep an eye on things.

Natural skepticism would have me approaching any situation cautiously....
In terms of the talking point though, I'm running with the assumption that the person is actually blind & in my immediate vicinity.

As far as two people fighting, I'm not jumping into that shit either way (regardless if it's real or staged).... I'm not calling any cops either.

Edited by B35 via Church

On 7/9/2020 at 11:34 AM, CenSin said:

Given that this blind man was trying to walk into the switch room and not the stairs at BG southbound platform, and my (late) father being blind, I got a soft spot. And a front-pocket wallet. (One of my best friends losing his passport to a pickpocket on Line 13 in Paris made that a justifiable purchase.)

Insofar as the women being followed, if you see me in person, I'm a pretty big dude with a natural RBF. So generally unless there's three or more cats, most will just give me the "evil eye" and walk away. The only times that hasn't happened in NY:

1) Shouting match between two drunk Italians on the (C) in Bk - they actually started swinging on each other with one getting concussed when his head hit a pole and the other pulling a knife on me when I tried to stop him from kicking the man when he was down; and

2) Two sistas in Harlem wasn't having it when I and the entire (D) train car went in on them for tossing the little boy with them across the car into the seat next to me when he wanted to sit next to his sister. One of these sistas smacked me in the head when they got off at 125th St; I started running up the stairs to go after them, then stopped at the turnstile when I realized I didn't know who was upstairs with them. Conductor held the doors open for me and laughed and nodded when I got back on the train. Car clapped for me.

So you're "right", but there are times you  risk taking one for the team for the greater good. As long as the risk is measured.

30 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Given that this blind man was trying to walk into the switch room and not the stairs at BG southbound platform, and my (late) father being blind, I got a soft spot. And a front-pocket wallet. (One of my best friends losing his passport to a pickpocket on Line 13 in Paris made that a justifiable purchase.)

Insofar as the women being followed, if you see me in person, I'm a pretty big dude with a natural RBF. So generally unless there's three or more cats, most will just give me the "evil eye" and walk away.

If by RBF you mean resting bitch face, this is the first time I've ever heard (read) that either from, or in reference to a man..... If not, I stand corrected.

When I'm walking, I hate having to come to a halt (even at a crosswalk); I would compare it to a bicyclist having to slam on the brakes going down a hill..... The faster I get away from people in general, the better.... I've been told that I walk with a scowl on my face (the "why you always look so mad" shit)... If that classifies as RBF, then I guess I'm guilty, IDK, whatever... Although IDK how I look exactly when coming up on people/passing by, I do know that I have an arsenal/myriad of facial expressions that I use while walking.... Combine that with walking fast & you have a pretty good recipe of not being approachable.... I know what evil eye you're talking about quite well & I tend to chuckle when I see people doing that as I'm walking....

I guess I'll take this time to profess that my father also died blind (which is why he had to rely on f***ing access-a-ride, which is another rant for another time), but I'll also say that it hasn't moved me one way or the other, as far as a soft spot or anything like that....

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

If by RBF you mean resting bitch face, this is the first time I've ever heard (read) that either from, or in reference to a man..... If not, I stand corrected.

When I'm walking, I hate having to come to a halt (even at a crosswalk); I would compare it to a bicyclist having to slam on the brakes going down a hill..... The faster I get away from people in general, the better.... I've been told that I walk with a scowl on my face (the "why you always look so mad" shit)... If that classifies as RBF, then I guess I'm guilty, IDK, whatever... Although IDK how I look exactly when coming up on people/passing by, I do know that I have an arsenal/myriad of facial expressions that I use while walking.... Combine that with walking fast & you have a pretty good recipe of not being approachable.... I know what evil eye you're talking about quite well & I tend to chuckle when I see people doing that as I'm walking....

I guess I'll take this time to profess that my father also died blind (which is why he had to rely on f***ing access-a-ride, which is another rant for another time), but I'll also say that it hasn't moved me one way or the other, as far as a soft spot or anything like that....

I like to call it Rowdy Badass Face, but potato/tuber. 

I've had that soft spot ever since I was with him at a gas station in Compton - where he lived - and the clerk in the window tried to claim my pops gave him a $10 instead of a $20 when giving back change. Pops was from Harlem but hadn't adjusted the NY mindset with not being able to see. I was 9 or 10 and got him his change. But that's when I knew how easily this world will eff with someone who has a disability or is perceived as weaker.