Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
TeeLow

MTA to install 9000 digital screens for ads across NYC subway

Recommended Posts

Computerized billboards on New York City’s subway might bring the system to more resemble scenes from the movie “Blade Runner” by the end of 2023, MTA officials announced Tuesday.

We don’t have the flying cars or humanoid robots depicted in the 1982 movie, which presented a dystopian view of the world in 2019. But the subways have 5,000 Blade Runner-type video advertising screens, and the MTA plans to install 9,000 more by September 2021.

The agency is scheduled to spend $100 million on the 9,000 new digital screens. Most will carry ads 80% of the time, and subway service information the other 20%, say officials.

Those 9,000 new screens are just a start. The MTA plans to add even more so that they’ll appear in all 472 subway stations by the end of 2023.

The displays would expand an existing deal between the MTA and the advertising company Outfront Media.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said they were excited about technology, which lets them quickly update messages and displays on any of the screens to give riders fresh information about their commutes.

The shift ought to make it easier for riders to know when their commute is scheduled to be interrupted by construction, said MTA chief development officer Janno Lieber.

“One of the classic gripes New Yorkers have about the system is those paper signs [that communicate construction-related service changes],” said Lieber “You’re going to get real-time information about outages and planned work.”

Though the video screens are being rolled out quickly, the MTA lags on its push to install CCTV security cameras in every subway station. Officials said roughly 75% of the city’s stations currently have camera coverage.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-subway-screens-advertisements-20200707-6bnf5xnjdfdnhmcqt7v5p3pfye-story.html

More Info: http://web.mta.info/nyct/OntheGoAds/index.html

Location of existing Screens (pdf): http://web.mta.info/nyct/OntheGoAds/MTA_Kiosk_Ridership_OTG.pdf

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Yet somehow the MTA has to cry bankruptcy and ask for financial support when this could be done a bit later.

This is probably cost-neutral or even net-positive. More ad capacity in more locations, no need to hire people to physically remove and swap out ads, etc. 

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

"Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said they were excited about technology, which lets them quickly update messages and displays on any of the screens to give riders fresh information about their commutes."

You mean, the same up-to-date information that's displayed on their websites.... The same information that our very own @BM5 via Woodhaven's been stopping at almost nothing to relay on this forum? That information?

Oh, the excitement I have for this - The same excitement I had when I saw those TeeVee's on the R160's; can't even get see an end (CNN) or faux news on those things :lol:

Go somewhere with this fake ass transparency.....

 

  • LMAO! 5
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.