NYC Transit chief Sarah Feinberg says MTA has no organizational chart, vows to cut fat out of agency

CenSin

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I know we don't like Cuomo appointees, but this is a load of shit, mostly because I have worked at several large companies that are that large and do have direct org charts like that available. Probably not used in the massive blown up form very frequently, but the information is there.

A cornerstone of the modern corp is tracking productivity at the individual employee level, and you can be damned sure that this is the norm. Just because people "do exactly the same thing" as part of their job description does not mean that they all do it at the same efficiency.

Exactly. Any large organization with any sort of HR department is expected to have a computerized system that shows every employee's supervisor (aka chain of command), which can then be linked all the way up to the top. If you have a complex payroll system, you need to be able to track that sort of thing! Otherwise you end up with fraud...and of course the MTA has NEVER had issues with fraud ;)

17 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I know we don't like Cuomo appointees, but this is a load of shit, mostly because I have worked at several large companies that are that large and do have direct org charts like that available. Probably not used in the massive blown up form very frequently, but the information is there.

A cornerstone of the modern corp is tracking productivity at the individual employee level, and you can be damned sure that this is the norm. Just because people "do exactly the same thing" as part of their job description does not mean that they all do it at the same efficiency.

10 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Exactly. Any large organization with any sort of HR department is expected to have a computerized system that shows every employee's supervisor (aka chain of command), which can then be linked all the way up to the top. If you have a complex payroll system, you need to be able to track that sort of thing! Otherwise you end up with fraud...and of course the MTA has NEVER had issues with fraud ;)

Nope, nope, nope. I've spoken to folks with management roles at very similar agencies of this scale and they have never seen a single-use org chart. Sure, there are plenty of individual ones for departments and the like, and of course HR can track things back and forth, but what she's talking about, like there's some science fair poster board that she can regularly consult, absolute BS. Plus why and when would she even look? Just posturing.

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Nope, nope, nope. I've spoken to folks with management roles at very similar agencies of this scale and they have never seen a single-use org chart. Sure, there are plenty of individual ones for departments and the like, and of course HR can track things back and forth, but what she's talking about, like there's some science fair poster board that she can regularly consult, absolute BS. Plus why and when would she even look? Just posturing.

As far as who manages who, I would even question this part of it, as far as this agency goes (whether a tangible chart exists or not).... While I don't believe she's completely lying about the disorganization going on, the thought has crossed my mind though that she's running off at the mouth with this whole thing, as some sort of diversionary or distractive tactic....

I'm not convinced whatever cuts are on the horizon, will factor whatever excess exists on the managerial level....

35 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Sounds more like Cuomo trying to reshape the MTA in his own image...

Then Cuomo said, “Let us make MTA in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the Access-A-Ride of the road and over the buses of the avenues and over the bridges and over all NYC and over every creeping vehicle that creeps in the five boroughs.”

So Cuomo created MTA in his own image, in the image of Cuomo he created them; (1) and (A) and (G) he created them.

And Cuomo blessed them. And Cuomo said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the els and the tunnels and subdue them, and have dominion over the Access-A-Ride of the road and over the buses of the avenues and over every vehicle that moves on in the five boroughs.”

And Cuomo said, “Behold, I have given you every el and tunnel going to every nook and cranny that is in NYC, and every el and tunnel with rail on its trackbed. You shall roam them for life. And to every train of the subway and to every bus on the street and to every vehicle that creeps in the five boroughs, everything that has wheels, I have given insufficient funds for operation.” And it was so.

And Cuomo saw everything that he had made, and behold, the painted trains were very nice.

And there was COVID-19 and the money problems, and it was 2020.

Edited by CenSin

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Then Cuomo said, “Let us make MTA in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the Access-A-Ride of the road and over the buses of the avenues and over the bridges and over all NYC and over every creeping vehicle that creeps in the five boroughs.”

So Cuomo created MTA in his own image, in the image of Cuomo he created them; (1) and (A) and (G) he created them.

And Cuomo blessed them. And Cuomo said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the els and the tunnels and subdue them, and have dominion over the Access-A-Ride of the road and over the buses of the avenues and over every vehicle that moves on in the five boroughs.”

And Cuomo said, “Behold, I have given you every el and tunnel going to every nook and cranny that is in NYC, and every el and tunnel with rail on its trackbed. You shall roam them for life. And to every train of the subway and to every bus on the street and to every vehicle that creeps in the five boroughs, everything that has wheels, I have given insufficient funds for operation.” And it was so.

And Cuomo saw everything that he had made, and behold, the painted trains were very nice.

And there was COVID-19 and the money problems, and it was 2020.

...and Cuomo gets that 4th term in 2 more years, and NY-ers will have to put up with more of this shit.

9 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Are we really considering peer American transit agencies to be the pinnacle of management practice? The last decade's rise in transit ridership is almost entirely NYC and here we are talking about the MTA's management today.

Some managers maintain a chart of their own employees, but there is no unified document for the whole agency, Feinberg said.

of course HR can track things back and forth

These are conflicting statements. If not all managers have organizational charts of who is below them how is HR tracking this? I have never seen a management software that only lets some managers see their reports.

Where I work, I could literally navigate up and down the tree from CEO to line worker and back, right now. And this is a massive corporation with six-figure headcount.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

Some managers maintain a chart of their own employees, but there is no unified document for the whole agency, Feinberg said.

...of course HR can track things back and forth

These are conflicting statements....

They aren't, if he (MHV9218) believes Feinberg to be FOS with all this....

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

....If not all managers have organizational charts of who is below them how is HR tracking this? I have never seen a management software that only lets some managers see their reports.

Hell, how are managers even supposed to keep an updated organogram for people they don't even know they're supposed to be managing.....

Edited by B35 via Church

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

...and Cuomo gets that 4th term in 2 more years, and NY-ers will have to put up with more of this shit.

3 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

That will likely become a reality considering the great praise he's getting from combatting the pandemic..

I know, the current situation is simply enabling him to consolidate his power, become even more entrenched, and continue channeling his ego.  Like Emperor freaking Palpatine or something..

Edited by R10 2952
emphasis

19 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

It seems that Ms. Feinberg'scomments have been picked up by the dailycaller.com which means that it is now national.

All that's done is entrench my concerns over the legitimacy of her statements (and, more importantly, what the underlying message is).

19 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That’s unfortunate. Another 2 years means he buys some time to wait out the recession and resume his (7) to the train to the plane.

13 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

I know, the current situation is simply enabling him to consolidate his power, become even more entrenched, and continue channeling his ego.  Like Emperor freaking Palpatine or something..

I won't believe it until he has unidentifiable LEOs arresting folks in unmarked rental cars because they could be protesting.

Now the other guy from Queens, however...

37 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I won't believe it until he has unidentifiable LEOs arresting folks in unmarked rental cars because they could be protesting.

Now the other guy from Queens, however...

So just because Trump is exponentially bad, we should ignore all the shit that Cuomo has pulled in his decade as governor?

Are we supposed to what, hold one guy accountable and just let the other off the hook, no questions asked?

They both need to go, for different reasons maybe, but they still need to be voted out at the end of he day.

Edited by R10 2952

31 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

So just because Trump is exponentially bad, we should ignore all the shit that Cuomo has pulled in his decade as governor?

Are we supposed to what, hold one guy accountable and just let the other off the hook, no questions asked?

They both need to go, for different reasons maybe, but they still need to be voted out at the end of he day.

Sometimes I think you guys take the subway too seriously - like everything's a conspiracy to stop you from swiping a MetroCard. 

Akin to those folks who complain mandatory masks orders are the first steps to Sharia law (but ignore the decency laws that restrict public nudity). Now because there's no public organizational chart, it's a conspiracy by Cuomo to commit nefarious acts to not let you swipe at 2am to see snow on the sand at Coney Island in February.

And in another post, everyone will pile on (MTA) for mismanaging things to the point it had (pre-COVID) a higher total debt obligation than the State of Texas. And then Bombardier will come up, and everyone will insult (MTA) for overpaying for trains, and how SAS will never be finished because (MTA) pays 2X as much to build two-tracks as other cities, and it'll be discussed and nauseum how there's a (MTA) premium on contracts because things keep changing because no one knows who's in charge - but Cuomo needs to "fix it and be accountable!!".

Then his acting (MTA) president acknowledges that, says she'll "create an org chart" to hold (MTA) staff and leaders accountable, and instead of "that's a step in the right direction", it's "Cuomo's gonna keep overnight train service suspended" and 'He's trying to be Senator Palpatine and turn the Empire State into an Empire because he won't let go of power!!!'

I'll gladly listen to how you rationalize demanding things, getting the responses in line with you wanted, and then demonizing and denigrating the responses, as holding Cuomo accountable. 

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Sometimes I think you guys take the subway too seriously - like everything's a conspiracy to stop you from swiping a MetroCard. 

Akin to those folks who complain mandatory masks orders are the first steps to Sharia law (but ignore the decency laws that restrict public nudity). Now because there's no public organizational chart, it's a conspiracy by Cuomo to commit nefarious acts to not let you swipe at 2am to see snow on the sand at Coney Island in February.

Then his acting (MTA) president acknowledges that, says she'll "create an org chart" to hold (MTA) staff and leaders accountable, and instead of "that's a step in the right direction", it's "Cuomo's gonna keep overnight train service suspended" and 'He's trying to be Senator Palpatine and turn the Empire State into an Empire because he won't let go of power!!!'

So now I'm a conspiracy theorist? LOL.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

I'll gladly listen to how you rationalize demanding things, getting the responses in line with you wanted, and then demonizing and denigrating the responses, as holding Cuomo accountable. 

I'm not sure I follow. Explain?

Edited by R10 2952

5 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

He's not getting the same praise as he was getting back in April. He's been receiving tons of backlash 

In terms of the pandemic, the nursing home problem and apparent failure to stop rioting+looting is the only thing I see him really getting backlash for. But since NY's case #s turned around, every other state wants to follow the New York model now.

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

And in another post, everyone will pile on (MTA) for mismanaging things to the point it had (pre-COVID) a higher total debt obligation than the State of Texas. And then Bombardier will come up, and everyone will insult (MTA) for overpaying for trains, and how SAS will never be finished because (MTA) pays 2X as much to build two-tracks as other cities, and it'll be discussed and nauseum how there's a (MTA) premium on contracts because things keep changing because no one knows who's in charge - but Cuomo needs to "fix it and be accountable!!".

Some people do make these sort of arguments, but this is way out of line from what @R10 2952 pointed out... anyway, he's right that Cuomo, even as a sensible leader, doesn't exactly do enough without regard for his ego, including when it comes to the (MTA).

45 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Some people do make these sort of arguments, but this is way out of line from what @R10 2952 pointed out... anyway, he's right that Cuomo, even as a sensible leader, doesn't exactly do enough without regard for his ego, including when it comes to the (MTA).

Thank you for backing me up, although I will offer the caveat that I don't see Cuomo as a leader worth much praise to begin with.

Granted, he's got more sense than certain idiot Republicans (Paul LePage, Sam Brownback, Brian Kemp), but at the end of the day, Cuomo's a two-faced corporatist Democrat who gives jack shit about ordinary working people.

He's part of the problem, not the solution.  We need a lot more Bernie Sanders in government, and a lot less Andy Cuomos.

Edited by R10 2952

I personally don't care to make this a republican vs. democrat thing, but Cuomo, as a person, I see as more of an egoist than an egotist.... My issue with Cuomo, as it involves anything MTA related, is that it very much appears he wants total control of the thing.... Not necessarily on some muhahahahaha shit, but more of a *I know what's best for this state & I'm going to propose & have xyz proposal carried out, to where I'll end up ultimately benefiting for even proposing it (as in, future successive gubernatorial terms)*...

The mindset that newer is always better most certainly exists among folks & I do not at all get the sense that Cuomo suggests what he does, because he honestly believes it's best for the riders.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I’m gonna put this out here for the rest of the posters. Thomas Dewey to Andrew Cuomo. Democratic Party or Republican Party. Board of Transportation, NYCTA, or (MTA)  in my lifetime. I’m willing to bet that 95% of the complainers wouldn’t be satisfied with who had control of the bus and subway system in the City or the regional railroads. Leaving my personal financial history aside I fail to see any one Governor rising above the rest. I have never voted for a contract. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are uninformed about who really runs the transit systems in the region. The financial folks run them. Financial downturn means transit problems. Period. Bond holding institutions and the largesse provided by congressional appropriations are transit lifelines. Harp on the governors of NY, NJ, and CT all you want but they are beholden to the financial system and Congress for funding . I have pointed this out for over a decade. Ask BrooklynBus,Roadcruiser1, Wallyhorse, VG8, B35, or my resident photography favorite DTC.I sound like a broken record come election time. Stop the incessant whining and vote for the candidates that are aligned with your interests. Build some coalitions where necessary. My peers glance at the forums from time to time and ask me how I can put up with some of the posters and their suggestions and complaints. My stock answer is that I’m amused by them but certain things pique my interest. With our backgrounds we only recognize 3 types of revenue subway equipment. SMEE, R46, and NTT. R46 by itself. R142-R188 NTT, and everything else is SMEE. Cosmetic differences between NTT groups and R62-68s. That’s our subway take. YMMV. It’s depressing to see people bugging out about a particular subway car fleet. Carry on.

10 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

It’s depressing to see people bugging out about a particular subway car fleet. Carry on.

That's one way to look at it, but to be honest, I think it's depressing that enthusiasts don't have much left to be ecstatic about.... Waning variety when it comes to fleet (or at the very least, their outward appearance), a certain reluctance/hesitation/apprehension of taking a pic/video nowadays, the customer (rider/fanner) experience just not being the same as it used to be, etc. etc.... When there's (as) much of an interest as to what advertisements are plastered on the buses, that can't be a good sign for the hobby....

I mean let's face it, the younger folks aren't growing up on Lionel train sets & having those child-like :)'s when daddy/granddaddy/uncle finally assembled the thing.... JMO, but I don't see there being that much of a build up to being that staunch (or "hardcore") enthusiast for the younger guys (bus or train side, don't matter), when everything's becoming more cookie-cutter out here.....

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That's one way to look at it, but to be honest, I think it's depressing that enthusiasts don't have much left to be ecstatic about.... Waning variety when it comes to fleet (or at the very least, their outward appearance), a certain reluctance/hesitation/apprehension of taking a pic/video nowadays, the customer (rider/fanner) experience just not being the same as it used to be, etc. etc.... When there's (as) much of an interest as to what advertisements are plastered on the buses, that can't be a good sign for the hobby....

I mean let's face it, the younger folks aren't growing up on Lionel train sets & having those child-like :)'s when daddy/granddaddy/uncle finally assembled the thing.... JMO, but I don't see there being that much of a build up to being that staunch (or "hardcore") enthusiast for the younger guys (bus or train side, don't matter), when everything's becoming more cookie-cutter out here.....

The cookie-cutter experience is pretty much what my subway peers were talking about.  Buses might be somewhat different than subway cars but a NTT, IMO, is "see one see them all ". That's what the (mta) is striving for. When you have one or two main suppliers it gets boring really fast. In the metro area it seemed to me that the design process was generational with subway and rail cars. Perhaps if more manufacturers entered the bidding process things would change. Just my thoughts.  Carry on.