What if NICE was still MTA Long Island bus today?

If MTA Long Island bus never became Nassau Inter-county Express, what service changes do you guys think would have been made of cancelled? Would the N20 ever gotten split?  Would the N22A ever would have been eliminated? How about the bus system's infrastructure? Would Rockville Center Depot still close down eventually, thus ending the career of most of the remaining Orion Vs at the time on Long Island? Let's discuss! 

14 hours ago, Kris Brain said:

If MTA Long Island bus never became Nassau Inter-county Express, what service changes do you guys think would have been made of cancelled? Would the N20 ever gotten split?  Would the N22A ever would have been eliminated? How about the bus system's infrastructure? Would Rockville Center Depot still close down eventually, thus ending the career of most of the remaining Orion Vs at the time on Long Island? Let's discuss! 

Probably would have ended up pretty similar to what NICE is now. Remember the MTA was planning on cutting service in 2011. The only difference between NICE today and the MTA’s proposed cuts is that the MTA would have left more areas without service, including:

• All of Eastern Nassau south of Hempstead Tpke (would have eliminated N19, N54, N55, N80)
  • Western Long Beach Island (eliminated N33)
  • Great Neck and Kings Point (eliminated both N57, N58)
  • No Hicksville-Suffolk service (eliminated N78, N79)
  • No North/South service in Western Nassau (eliminated N1, N2, N8)

Plus I would go even further. The MTA cuts would have been drastic in 2011, but if they kept serving the county through 2020, they probably would have had cuts like NICE has had, plus some that NICE managed to avoid due to last minute funding.

RVC was pretty much on its way out IINM, so I think that would've happened anyway.... As far the routes go, I suppose the:

N1 - off peak service eliminated

N2, 3, 8, 14, 16. 17, 19, 21, 26, 28 (see N23), 31, 33, 36, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 54, 58 (see N25), 62, 65, 67, 73, 74, 78, 93, 94, 95 - eliminated

N4 - service levels east of RVC decreased

N6, 32, 40, 57, JB88 - unchanged

N15 - Washington av branch eliminated

N20 - remained intact, but service east of LIRR Great Neck decreased

N22/22a - branched to either end at [LIRR Mineola] (N22 routing) or [RFM] (N22a routing).... the RFM trips run via the N22a.... overall service throughout the day more or less divided equally...

N23 - service cut back to Mineola full time... peak direction trips combined with the N28

N24 - short turns end at RFM, full route runs to NCC (instead of Reckson Bldg)

N25 - extended to the Marine Academy (Kings Point) via N58

N27 - portion south & east of LIRR Roslyn eliminated... full route runs between LIRR Mineola & Glen Cove (via Willis).... service/schedule coupled with the N23.... In other words, it parallels the N23 route b/w Mineola & Roslyn, and then goes on to do the N27 route to Glen Cove.... What I'm getting at with this, is similar to what was done w/ the B67 & B69....

N35 - diverted & extended to run between Baldwin Harbor & LIRR Hicksville... basically a combination of the [old N37], [N27 between HTC & RFM], and the [N22 between RFM & LIRR Hicksville]... most trips during the day wouldn't do the old N37 leg (meaning, most N35 trips throughout the day would consist of short turns, running b/w HTC & LIRR Hicksville)... In turn, the portion of the N35 between RFM & Westbury-Rockland st. eliminated...

N41 - rush hour nomenclated variant of the N40 that diverts to serve County Seat dr. (Franklin > 11th > County Seat Dr. > Old Country rd)... probably about a handful of total daily trips each way... service along Babylon Tpke. eliminated....

N43 - portion between NCC & RFM runs via Stewart (instead of Merchant's Conc. & Corporate dr)

N51 - service would be kept, but runs very sparsely

N55 - service would be kept, and would absorb N54's resources (basically, they'd done away w/ service past Sunrise)

N70 - cutback to SUNY Farmingdale

N71 - diverted to run between HTC & LIRR Farmingdale via Front st... In turn, service south of Hempstead Tpke. eliminated

N72 - for some odd reason, I'm not convinced they would've done away with this route.... at worst, they'd have had it running more sparsely

N79 - cutback to RFM

N80/81 - some type of combination of these two routes running between LIRR Hicksville & Sunrise Mall

Honestly I think NICE did a really god job navigating thru Mangano's last few years. Remember, NICE had to work with county funding that was less than the 9.1 million the MTA recieved for almost every single year.

But honestly if MTA were in charge, LIB would've still recieved the same equipment, but I believe that there would be MUCH more cuts. The entire Southeastern part of LI and N1, N78/79 would have its service entirely cut. Some routes like the n25, n48/49 and n58 would probably have its weekend service eliminated. MTA would probably still have some inefficent routings like the n24 into E Meadow, but no service along Old County Road east of RF

Quite frankly, if the MTA were still in charge, I think there would be MORE n22A's at the expense of service east of Roosevelt Field. 

Edited by Mtatransit