Rutgers Tunnel Rehab Project to be approved

Union Tpke

Well, it's taken them almost a decade to get around to this... the phrase 'lessons learned from the Canarsie Project' makes me suspicious- makes it sound like the Governor's Office is pushing them to use the "experimental" construction methods from the (L) project.

Hopefully (MTA) applies the lesson learned from the Montague tunnel clearance screw-up; measure twice, cut once. 

So, will this prevent vintage cars from running via Rutgers? I don't recall whether the racking has the same issue as the Montague rebuild, where the reduced clearance prevents pre-R46 cars from going through the area safely.

55 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Aren't the racked wires going to be complete FUBAR in both Rutgers/Canarsie if there's another tunnel flood (not unlikely)? Seems like they're uniquely susceptible to damage in a way that the bench walls were not.

On the contrary, they make damaged equipment hugely easier to repair. You don't have to demolish the bench wall to replace the conduit that got a little water in it. 

3 minutes ago, RR503 said:

On the contrary, they make damaged equipment hugely easier to repair. You don't have to demolish the bench wall to replace the conduit that got a little water in it. 

I suppose what I meant was, doesn't it virtually guarantee equipment will be damaged, whereas an effective bench wall should theoretically provide cover? Though I suppose historically that didn't really happen...

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I suppose what I meant was, doesn't it virtually guarantee equipment will be damaged, whereas an effective bench wall should theoretically provide cover? Though I suppose historically that didn't really happen...

Really, no matter what you do, it takes one tiny small point of failure to stop components from flooding in a tunnel, at the lowest point of an underground system.

Based on observed realities and the facts of the situation it is much better to make things fail fast and easy to repair.