Unusual marking on Manhattan street sign

12 hours ago, Railfan123 said:

I see a little arrow pointed east and the number 1 above the West 31st street sign:

It's the address numbers on that block. 1 W 31st, 3 W 31st... and so on.

Edited by R10 2952

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, they put those signs up to draw attention to (and as a means of aiming to improve) the 34th st BID.....

The (somewhat rhetorical) question I have is, how many people even use those street signs to locate a particular building?

What I find interesting is the whole "address locator" segment on the Manhattan bus maps and I wonder how many people actually use that nowadays...

"To find an avenue address, cancel the last figure, divide by 2, then add or subtract the key number below. The answer is the nearest numbered cross street, approximately. To find addresses on numbered cross streets, remember that numbers increase east or west from 5 Avenue, which runs north-south."

The whole thing is just confusing...

21 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

What I find interesting is the whole "address locator" segment on the Manhattan bus maps and I wonder how many people actually use that nowadays...

The whole thing is just confusing...

How many people even know that's on the map...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 6:27 PM, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, they put those signs up to draw attention to (and as a means of aiming to improve) the 34th st BID.....

The (somewhat rhetorical) question I have is, how many people even use those street signs to locate a particular building?

My question is why major cities east of Detroit/I-75 don’t put address number ranges on street signs?