What if the Metro North Was extended to Downtown Manhattan And Brooklyn?

Octavianp94m

• 2 weeks later...

From a capacity perspective for the MTA as a whole, the Park Ave Line (125 St - 42 St GCT - 14 ST USQ - Fulton St - Downtown Brooklyn - Atlantic Ave / Barclays and onwards) is the best relief line that can be built for the entire Lexington Ave Line. It would also allow for the entire Atlantic Ave terminal plus half of GCT to be repurposed for other purposes.

The question is, is this more important than building Gateway, lower SAS, or the Northern Blvd / 50 St crosstown line?

Quite frankly, I think the LIRR to Lower Manhattan would be a better investment than the MNRR.... Having the MNRR run down to Downtown Brooklyn would be quite the waste....

4 hours ago, Caelestor said:

The question is, is this more important than building Gateway, lower SAS, or the Northern Blvd / 50 St crosstown line?

Not even remotely.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 8:26 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Technically Metro-North West of Hudson already serves Hoboken 😉

Whenever someone mentions the PJ (well, Port Jervis... as "PJ" around these parts is usually reserved for the Port Jeff branch of the LIRR... Lol) line, I'm hard-wired to think MNRR...... Same goes for the Spring Valley (Pascack Valley) line - even though I'm always xferring to either of them at Secaucus Junction.... I must be in a minority when it comes to initially deeming those two branches as Metro North, I suppose.....

side note: It will always bug me how there isn't much of anything around Secaucus Junction..... Godspeed to anyone that does any walking to/from there.

I do like how the bus area/terminal/section is laid out though... Nice & spacious.... Would like to see it when it's at its busiest.....

16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Whenever someone mentions the PJ (well, Port Jervis... as "PJ" around these parts is usually reserved for the Port Jeff branch of the LIRR... Lol) line, I'm hard-wired to think MNRR...... Same goes for the Spring Valley (Pascack Valley) line - even though I'm always xferring to either of them at Secaucus Junction.... I must be in a minority when it comes to initially deeming those two branches as Metro North, I suppose.....

side note: It will always bug me how there isn't much of anything around Secaucus Junction..... Godspeed to anyone that does any walking to/from there.

I do like how the bus area/terminal/section is laid out though... Nice & spacious.... Would like to see it when it's at its busiest.....

Yeah I learned the hard way a few years ago when transferring from the 190 and walking to the rail station- the use of "Junction" in the name is definitely misleading.  More like Secaucus Wasteland IMO... 

19 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah I learned the hard way a few years ago when transferring from the 190 and walking to the rail station- the use of "Junction" in the name is definitely misleading.  More like Secaucus Wasteland IMO... 

Eh, it's literally the meeting point of two railroads. Most junctions didn't have towns or neighborhoods around them when first built.

The problem with Secaucus is IIRC Meadowlands developments are heavily restricted since it turns out marshes are good for absorbing floods.