Craziest subway stories/experiences you've had?

duelingdragons

Man... I think I was on a (2) heading through Manhattan, but there was this homeless guy chillin out in the back car... he had four cats with him, and the cats were just relaxing out on the seats and stuff, lol. Two of them got up and walked across the car to some seats on the other side.

They looked like they were quite comfortable there.. the guy had a shopping cart too (don't want to know how he gets that up and down the stairs.. I have a feeling he doesn't know which stations have elevators, but I could be wrong)

I just remembered this now.. I'm sure there are plenty of other crazy things I've seen, but this one stuck with me for some reason.

During my second ride on the Subway it was about 8 o'clock. It was Columbus day and the train only had enough people to fill half the seats. We were getting on an uptown bound (A) from Jay st and just before the doors finished closing, a really tall black woman shot through the doors and onto the train. I would say she was in her early 20's. As the train started pulling away she started arguing with someone. I wasn't looking when she started but when I did I realized she was yelling into thin air. She was sitting near the back yelling towards the door and there was nobody between her and the end of the car. It was really weird. She was doing the whole "sass" routine with the flailing of the hands. She even hit the plastic seat next to her pretty hard, making other people in the train not looking jump slightly at the sudden sound. I couldn't make heads or tails on what she was yelling about, as I was focused on not staring. In the end, I got off at 50th st and she was still going at it.

During my second ride on the Subway it was about 8 o'clock. It was Columbus day and the train only had enough people to fill half the seats. We were getting on an uptown bound (A) from Jay st and just before the doors finished closing, a really tall black woman shot through the doors and onto the train. I would say she was in her early 20's. As the train started pulling away she started arguing with someone. I wasn't looking when she started but when I did I realized she was yelling into thin air. She was sitting near the back yelling towards the door and there was nobody between her and the end of the car. It was really weird. She was doing the whole "sass" routine with the flailing of the hands. She even hit the plastic seat next to her pretty hard, making other people in the train not looking jump slightly at the sudden sound. I couldn't make heads or tails on what she was yelling about, as I was focused on not staring. In the end, I got off at 50th st and she was still going at it.

Yeea, pretty ticpical on the (A) these days. ;)

Not the craziest, but something that popped into my head just now...

I remember being on an uptown (F) train while it was held up @ 47-50th Streets for two guys bringing on a washing machine and separate dryer. No, not MTA employees, and not only did they get through the gate, but the conductor even held the doors. That gave me all sorts of ideas about saving on moving costs...

I remember being on an uptown (F) train while it was held up @ 47-50th Streets for two guys bringing on a washing machine and separate dryer. No, not MTA employees, and not only did they get through the gate, but the conductor even held the doors. That gave me all sorts of ideas about saving on moving costs...

Just two guys to get both of those on?

MTA - Moving Transportation Affordable

I also remember that same magician being on the (6). It was a couple of years ago. One day, I was going uptown, and i was in the same car he was in. I was standing near him and when he was going to do a magic trick, he made me help him with the trick. It was embarassing because i didnt want to do it. Then he had this bird and it was flying across the car, it almost flew to me.

Just two guys to get both of those on?

Yup. They got one on, then went back to the platform for the other. Meanwhile, I and the other passengers are just staring with our mouths open. Only now do I wonder if they slipped the conductor some cash.

MTA - Moving Transportation Affordable

That gets more and more true on post-Grumman model buses. I've seen people load large boxes on the back of articulateds and then walk up to the front and dip their card.

I was riding southbound on the (4) last Friday. So I was standing between 125th Street and 86th Street. So these subway acrobats had the nerve to walk in and do their stunts.

One of them was swinging around the pole closest (pole dancing) to me, nearly kicking my face off.

Heh...saw an "acrobat team" not too long ago...

Two stops later they were getting help...

One of 'em musta flipped a little too close to a pole going around the curves at Spring St.

I don't have any interesting stories. Except the magician on the <6>. His bird flew into my face.

OMG thats the same guy i seen, is he the one with the box? and the pan for money?

Ive seen him loads of times, on the R38 (A) near Euclid

last time I saw him was on a (2) 31st at 110 i think, he was asking people to hold sum stick, and every body denied

he left the car, and said fu*k this sh*t , going to next car, lol

he sounds like hes from DR i think

My worst experiences in my life, hes riding on a R68 (:D 4 yrs ago, when I notice in the front car cab window, that the T/O was slowing the train down, and PEEING in the tracks while train was in motion

WTF??? lol, and his hands holding the Throttle , while he was turning south of 53rd street

damn 0_0

Also, one day, i was on the uptown (4), and then there were sone people who were dancing in the same car i was in. I got scared i was going to get kicked cuz they were back flippin, then, one person would hold the feet of the other and slam him to the floor. I was like wtf, are they stupid? Thre was music playing in the car, and me looking at the dancers. It was funny.

A couple times I would take the uptown 4 train leaving Grand Central at 7AM. There is this mentally challenged guy who would walk in. If there is no seat, he would moan like a child and bang on the rail or stomp on the ground. If there is a seat, he would sometimes stomp and moan like a little kid. *Sighs* Once he sat next to me, which was rather nightmarish. Like I was trying to sleep, and this guy would be moaning and stomping.

No offence but, I never heard him speak in an intelligent language. He usually gets up at 125th Street.

Where should I start? In the past, I've...

• Had a stabbing, 12-9 (man under), woman pass out and a train sectionalization (driving from the middle of the train) all in one single incident

• Hit a truck on the Williamsburg Bridge

• Had a 600 Volt Power Buslead short-circuit and explode filling the 46th Street Station with acrid smoke and had to evacuate 1,000 people during the AM rush

• One time as a Conductor on the Coney Island-bound (Q) at 11pm, two people thought they were all alone and started to have sex in the car...my operating car. We were running early so I told my T/O that I was going to hold for a few minutes at Neck Road (pun intended) and that I'd tell him later why. Opened the doors, left the cab, sneaked up to them, sat right across from them and opened up a bag of potato chips that I had as loud as I could. Startled, they looked at me in my uniform and I said to them, "go ahead, I'll watch." LMAO, you never saw two people put on their clothes so fast...:D

Where should I start? In the past, I've...

• Had a stabbing, 12-9 (man under), woman pass out and a train sectionalization (driving from the middle of the train) all in one single incident

• Hit a truck on the Williamsburg Bridge

• Had a 600 Volt Power Buslead short-circuit and explode filling the 46th Street Station with acrid smoke and had to evacuate 1,000 people during the AM rush

• One time as a Conductor on the Coney Island-bound (Q) at 11pm, two people thought they were all alone and started to have sex in the car...my operating car. We were running early so I told my T/O that I was going to hold for a few minutes at Neck Road (pun intended) and that I'd tell him later why. Opened the doors, left the cab, sneaked up to them, sat right across from them and opened up a bag of potato chips that I had as loud as I could. Startled, they looked at me in my uniform and I said to them, "go ahead, I'll watch." LMAO, you never saw two people put on their clothes so fast...:D

Man, I can hardly wait to get a job with the MTA now... seems like you guys have a lot of fun. Personally, I've never had many crazy subway experiences, but I'm sure I'll have some great stories to tell some day :cool:.

How did you hit a truck on the Williamsburg Bridge?

Easy. I was operating a (J) train heading to Brooklyn when an 18-wheeler decided to take the middle roadway...and failed to spot the big red sign which said "LOW CLEARANCE". He hit the overhead stanchion and completely tore off the roof of his trailer which bent onto the tracks...just as I was about to pass. BOOM!!!! A huge fireball spits out from under my cab and I stop the train. FDNY has to come, power to the tracks is pulled, FDNY goes underneath my train and chainsaws the roof from the underbody of my train; the undercarriage and truck roof became soddered after the explosion, and FDNY evacuates the passengers onto the tracks. After two hours, we're finally given clearance to proceed. As a result of the explosion, the first four cars were disabled because the jolt shorted out all of the main fuses. PLUS, the incident shorted out all of the signals on the bridge which went to dark. Soooo, I had to hook down about 16 signals just to get off the bridge.

When I get to East New York Yard, I take a look at the side of the train. Damage, baby! The first two cars had to go to the Main Shop for big-time repairs because they were so heavily damaged. And what happens to me? The Yardmaster tells me, "ok, go make up another train and be prepared to head downtown for service." I've got to be the only transit worker who could destroy equipment and still make more trips! :D

Archived