Craziest subway stories/experiences you've had?

duelingdragons

Paperwork? The only paperwork I filled out was an overtime slip.

Here's another story. One day, again as a Conductor, I was working a downtown (E) train when a passenger approached me at 5th Avenue to tell me that a man was masturbating in the last car. As I was leaving the station, I thanked him and immediately notified the (then) Command Center. They told me to investigate at the next stop. At 7th Avenue, I walked to the last car and looked around. I asked aloud if there was anyone committing a lewd act and masturbating in front of the passengers. The passengers said no. Command calls me back on the radio to ask me what I found. I respond back, "Command, I don't see any man back here masturbating, I guess he...got off." The whole car burst out in laughter and Command went silent for about five minutes.:D Oh boy, I didn't mean it to come out like that.B)

When I get to East New York Yard, I take a look at the side of the train. Damage, baby! The first two cars had to go to the Main Shop for big-time repairs because they were so heavily damaged. And what happens to me? The Yardmaster tells me, "ok, go make up another train and be prepared to head downtown for service." I've got to be the only transit worker who could destroy equipment and still make more trips! :D

From what I've "heard" sounds like you were around for the "good ol days" heh, how long you been working for transit?

Paperwork? The only paperwork I filled out was an overtime slip.

Here's another story. One day, again as a Conductor, I was working a downtown (E) train when a passenger approached me at 5th Avenue to tell me that a man was masturbating in the last car. As I was leaving the station, I thanked him and immediately notified the (then) Command Center. They told me to investigate at the next stop. At 7th Avenue, I walked to the last car and looked around. I asked aloud if there was anyone committing a lewd act and masturbating in front of the passengers. The passengers said no. Command calls me back on the radio to ask me what I found. I respond back, "Command, I don't see any man back here masturbating, I guess he...got off." The whole car burst out in laughter and Command went silent for about five minutes.:D Oh boy, I didn't mean it to come out like that.B)

LMAO.

the only thing i remember was one time i took a Manhattan-bound (:D train at 9 Ave using R68A cars, and i was in the last car with my nephew. i realized the car that i was on had no lights. so im thinking the rest of the cars didnt have lights either. as were going into the tunnel, heading to 36 st, thats when i realized that the car i was on was the only car w/o lights... lol my nephew was screaming. but it was actually fun.

like 2 months ago i was going home on a Coney Island-bound (Q) train using R68A cars and between Atlantic Av-Pacific St and 7 Ave, the train was running normal, but some how the lights just went off. all the lights turned off, but the train was still moving. lol it was just too funny.

• One time as a Conductor on the Coney Island-bound (Q) at 11pm, two people thought they were all alone and started to have sex in the car...my operating car. We were running early so I told my T/O that I was going to hold for a few minutes at Neck Road (pun intended) and that I'd tell him later why. Opened the doors, left the cab, sneaked up to them, sat right across from them and opened up a bag of potato chips that I had as loud as I could. Startled, they looked at me in my uniform and I said to them, "go ahead, I'll watch." LMAO, you never saw two people put on their clothes so fast...:D

ROFL. Nice.

Excuse me ladies and gentlemen, were trying to get money for our basketball team by selling these chocolate/candy... etc

you know the rest lol

Or even better, the "poet" on the A that claimed he wasn't trying to get our attention by being loud.

Once, I was on a R142A (6) on the way to Brooklyn Bridge from Westchester Sq. (A VERY long ride.) When I got a text from my ex Amanda about some kid who was bothing her about my suspension. I said something nasty and all of a sudden I need to pee. -_- I got off at 59th, got on a (W) train to Queensboro Plaza and got off there. I've never been to Queensboro Plaza. I've only been there passing by whether if it's by car or by (7). I need to pee SOOO bad! I've went to about six or seven places until I've went under the BQE about 7 full blocks away from Queens Plaza! After I took care of business I call Mandy and she was being a total b***h! Some girlfriend. I get back on the subway took some pics and got on R160 (W) back to Manhattan. The train's LEDs just shut off and the train died right on the ramp! Ironiclly, as soon as the train did that, Amanda called. :D

Sorry, but I was in France/Belgium on vacation and didn't get a chance to respond to everybody.

From what I've "heard" sounds like you were around for the "good ol days" heh, how long you been working for transit?

15 years. I only got a teaspoonful of the good ol' days.

I assume when you have a sectionalization the conductor stands in the front car and radio's you the signal?

Correct, except that we had to use the buzzer and intercom. His radio battery was broken.

Can you elaborate on this? I have a hard time picturing this.

Look earlier in this post.

In the summer when I went to work, I was waiting for the R train at Bay Ridge-95 st and It took very long. After a while an R160B 8862 R train showed up, then it went out of service. A few more minutes later, a regular R46 R train come and it bypassed 77st, Bay Ridge Av, 53 and 45 sts. I t was very funny because I saw someone very upset because the train skipped their stop.

thats actually funny too...

i was on a 95 St-bound (R) train and i got on at Pacific St-Atlantic Av. The Train was supposedly "LATE". so i got on and it only stopped at Union St, but skipped 9 St, Prospect Av, and 25 St. im like WOWWWWWWWWWW.

Another thing i remember...

i was on a Manhattan-bound (R) train and it was running express on the local track. the train skipped 53 St, 45 St, stopped at 36 St, skipped 25 St, Prospect Av, STOPPED AT 9 ST, Skipped Union St and Stopped at Pacific St.

TOO WEIRD!!!!!

One of my favorite "battery run stories" I remember I'd just gotten done w/ work and had that front seat opposite the cab. Our train (running local) pulls an express stop and holds. The T/O is a rookie, and a TSS is there, he's been watching him operate and talking to him but friendly, you could tell this guy was one of teh good guys. Anyway The C/R comes over the intercom and says that the train will be running express, no one says anything so it must be good. A few get on a few get off. Then a lady gets on and asks if the train is going to one of the local stops that is going to be skipped. T/O and TSS both have been talking to each other, must not have heard the C/R, they say yes. and IM just trying to go home at this point, not going to confront a T/O AND a TSS about where they're supposed to be going. C/R closes down shortly after, and I think the lady's stop was the first local stop. So the T/O makes the stop, and the doors don't open of course, and he's getting buzzed. Finally his partner comes over the intercom and says "express" again. So without opening on a crowded platform, and with this lady trying to get off the train, he just wraps it on up outta there. Without saying more, her reaction and the reactions of those on the platform was priceless...

One of my favorite "battery run stories" I remember I'd just gotten done w/ work and had that front seat opposite the cab. Our train (running local) pulls an express stop and holds. The T/O is a rookie, and a TSS is there, he's been watching him operate and talking to him but friendly, you could tell this guy was one of teh good guys. Anyway The C/R comes over the intercom and says that the train will be running express, no one says anything so it must be good. A few get on a few get off. Then a lady gets on and asks if the train is going to one of the local stops that is going to be skipped. T/O and TSS both have been talking to each other, must not have heard the C/R, they say yes. and IM just trying to go home at this point, not going to confront a T/O AND a TSS about where they're supposed to be going. C/R closes down shortly after, and I think the lady's stop was the first local stop. So the T/O makes the stop, and the doors don't open of course, and he's getting buzzed. Finally his partner comes over the intercom and says "express" again. So without opening on a crowded platform, and with this lady trying to get off the train, he just wraps it on up outta there. Without saying more, her reaction and the reactions of those on the platform was priceless...

Damn, could have opened the doors for the station, I can imagine all the wtf faces. :P

• 8 months later...

Some of Zman's tales are worth dying for! Anyway, my funny story:

Sometime in October or November 2008, I was on an R32 (A) train going toward Manhattan. After getting on at Beach 67th St, I found there was just me and one other guy who didn't get a seat. For some reason the guy seemed vaguely uneasy. After a while he decided to open the storm door and step out onto the space between the cars. I assumed he was simply moving to the car in front in order to look for a seat. (Being the only one left standing in the car, I had the best view of him throughout). Instead, he turned around on the end plates and faced the car I was in, took out a packet of cigarettes and a lighter, lit up a cigarette, and started puffing away, oblivious to the danger of riding between cars (and this was on the steep up- and downgrades of Cross Bay Bridge).

It turned out I was not the only one who saw him. After a while I heard the storm doors at the rear end of the car open, and I turned to see a police officer walk in from the car behind us. I moved to let him pass, knowing fun was on the way. The officer went to the front, opened the storm door, and accosted the smoker. I think he threw his cigarette out into Jamaica Bay, but the damage was done already. I saw the officer leading him into the next car and give him a stern talking to (I do not know if he was arrested or fined or given a citation). By this time, everyone in the car I was in saw what happened, and we all had a good chuckle about it. I would have liked to hear what the cop was saying to him, but then I would have to ride between cars as well;)

Running through my mind at this time was a prospective MasterCard ad:

Subway Fare: $2.00 (then)

Pack of Marlboro Lights: $7.50 (or whatever, I don't know coz I don't smoke).

Lighter: $4.50

Look on his face when he sees the cop: Priceless.

i remember back in the spring of 2001 on weekend gos the south bound train leaving jamaica center was (R) trains going to 95st and the northbound trains leaving 95st were (E) trains to jamaica center they used 46s wit each end car having the (R) on one end and the (E) on the other

During my second ride on the Subway it was about 8 o'clock. It was Columbus day and the train only had enough people to fill half the seats. We were getting on an uptown bound (A) from Jay st and just before the doors finished closing, a really tall black woman shot through the doors and onto the train. I would say she was in her early 20's. As the train started pulling away she started arguing with someone. I wasn't looking when she started but when I did I realized she was yelling into thin air. She was sitting near the back yelling towards the door and there was nobody between her and the end of the car. It was really weird. She was doing the whole "sass" routine with the flailing of the hands. She even hit the plastic seat next to her pretty hard, making other people in the train not looking jump slightly at the sudden sound. I couldn't make heads or tails on what she was yelling about, as I was focused on not staring. In the end, I got off at 50th st and she was still going at it.

You sure she didnt have one of those stupid hands free in the ear things that make people look like theyre talking to themselves

You sure she didnt have one of those stupid hands free in the ear things that make people look like theyre talking to themselves

I would be impressed if she somehow managed to have a phone signal through the Cranberry St tubes and all the way up the 8th avenue line from Jay - 50th...

1. This was a couple years ago when the 1st R160 went into service on the (N). My dad and I went to the 57th Street Station and waited. We saw it going to Queens, so we figured 5 trains later, it would show up...it took about 10 trains for it to show up.

We get on and take it to 14th St Union Square. Everything is fine...or so we think. We go on the uptown side and we hear an announcement saying that there are no Queens-bound (N) or (W) trains.

Fine, we'll just take the (R) to Steinway...then we hear another announcement - there are no Queens-bound (R) trains...now the only way is the (7). we go to the (7) and a stalled train was in the way, so no (7)'s were going to Queens.

So no (N), (W), (R), or (7) trains to Queens...we rode the (N) for 10 minutes max and it took us over 2 hours to get back to Queens.

We wound up taking a (F) train running on the (R).

2. Riding the (2) after a basketball game. I'm in the conductors car and someone reports a passenger acting like a jerk. It's rush hour and people want to get home. We go to the next stop and we can hear the conductor say they are going to take the train out of service to deal with this passenger. Everyone in the car starts screaming "He got off, he got off!" Some said "**** the MTA!" The passenger didn't get off and continued to annoy the person. Luckily, I got off at the next stop so I didn't have to deal with it.

3. It was a weekday on the (G). I was in the cab with the T/O and he got a message saying to go express. My dad would get off of work by the time that train would get to Woodhaven. We went express and before we reached Woodhaven, the T/O asked me if we should stop to let my dad on. I said sure, so I got to mess up the MTA's plans :D Go me.

4. It happened after school on a R32 (N). There was this guy on the end taking up 2 seats. He was wearing a jersey and jeans. He takes off his shirt, stands up and starts walking up and down the car picking his nose and showing the people what he just picked. This happened btwn Lex and Queens-Boro Plaza so we had to wait a while before we could switch cars.

Archived