Craziest subway stories/experiences you've had?

duelingdragons

I had two incident involving emergency.

When I was living in Normade Court Apartment on 96th St, uptown (6) overshoot platform at 96th St, car door passed DO NOT ENTER TRACK SIGN. It took wrong time for me to exit.

After I move to Jackson Heights

Train I was evaculate was during tiny Bronx (D) G.O. that shuttle bus from Bedford to 205th St. I was on first car.

I remember Bronx-bound (D) train made error at Kingsbridge Rd, but good thing half cars were in that station. I was very calm just like safety introduction on MTA Website.

C/O had hard time opening about locked door on R68/A (not sure #), then it cost 10 minutes to unlocked it, then others doors are OK, and about 6th car I think, we got evaculate to platform.

Another incident during $2.25 fare.

I remember after I got on uptown (6) train at 96th St, I think T/O thought he hit something as he was approaching 125th St. It was there for long time, T/O was taking long time, and rush along the cars. I was curious, so I follow him throught interior cars (not exterior) to far as 5th car and went back when I saw him running back to front.

This isn't exactly a subway story, but it's the closest thing I've got...

I boarded a westbound LIRR Montauk Line train at East Hampton back in 2005, found an upper-level seat, and settled back for the long ride home to the city. Everything was fine until we left Hampton Bays station. We came to a halt several minutes later, and sat for about 10 minutes without any announcement as to what was wrong. I eventually found out later, via announcement, that the train had collided with a car at a grade crossing.

We sat and sat at that location. The ambulances and police arrived, and the car was removed from the tracks. Apparently it had been an old woman driving the car alone, and the train had hit the passenger side of the car. The woman had some bad injuries, but it would have been worse -- probably fatal -- if she had been going the other direction, as the locomotive would have hit the driver's side of the car and she would have most likely been killed.

It turned out that this had been our LIRR engineer's first day on the job and she was too traumatized to operate the train any farther, so the train crew had to send away for another engineer. After waiting for a while, the new engineer was taking too long to arrive on the scene, so the crew had some buses brought to the site. The engineer eventually arrived, and two hours after the collision, we were on our way with the new engineer. We eventually arrived in Jamaica around 10:30 PM, much later than originally scheduled.

And this was made much worse by the fact that I was leaving to go to China the next day.

I have a few stories (I even remember the dates!):

February 26th, 2008: My class was returning from some museum (forgot which one, think it was the Met), and we got on the (6) train at 77th Street and took it to Union Square. My friend sat across from me. Somewhere between 59th Street and Grand Central, some homeless guy gets up and my friend feels something under his pants, and the car wreaked of piss! My friend freaked out like crazy! Not to mention that he had someone else's piss on HIS pants!

March 24th, 2008 (my friend's birthday): I got on board the 6:15 (A) train to Utica Avenue. I have this thing for getting to school at around 7:00 even though it starts at 8:00, and I take the long way! ((A) or (C), whichever comes first, to 14th Street, then the (L) to Lorimer Street, recently changed the stop to Bedford Avenue.) The train stops before crossing the switch at Hoyt-Schermerhorn because there's debris on the tracks. We were stuck on the train for one whole hour before it reversed direction on the northbound express track. We went to Nostrand Avenue and everyone went downstairs for a train but none came. We went upstairs and got on the B25 bus for free and got the (G) at Fulton and took it to Metropolitan Avenue. I got to school 15 minutes late, the first and only time I've ever been late to school in my life.

April 19th, 2009: I had to run to Manhattan to do an errand for my mom one evening. So I went to Utica Avenue and got on an (A) train, an R40 Slant (A) train. (Yay!) We left Utica Avenue and by the the time we got to Kingston-Throop Avenues (we were express, as the (F) was running for the (C) that weekend, the car started to wreak of s***. I evened opened up the window but it didn't help. The train stopped and the T/O smelled the same thing in his cab. Turns out some guy got on the train and probably soiled himself. But it turned out to be completely different. We told him to get up and move to the next car, and when he did, i saw the most disgustingest thing in my life: s*** on the seat! It was even on the outside of his pants! How did it get on the outside of his pants??? Don't know, but when we got to Nostrand Avenue the T/O told everyone to leave the car and move into the next one. He isolated the car (found out how he does it, he keys the doors closed so when the conductor pushed the button to open the doors the doors will still remained locked). So my railfanning opportunities were destroyed, and I had a phobia of sitting down ever since.

Turns out some guy got on the train and probably soiled himself. But it turned out to be completely different. We told him to get up and move to the next car, and when he did, i saw the most disgustingest thing in my life: s*** on the seat! It was even on the outside of his pants! How did it get on the outside of his pants??? Don't know, but when we got to Nostrand Avenue the T/O told everyone to leave the car and move into the next one.

"We told him to get up and move to the next car": who is him, and how did you find out?

"We told him to get up and move to the next car": who is him, and how did you find out?

Because there were only two people who got on the front of the train: myself and him. Since it sure wasn't me, we pointed out the other guy who got on. It was really disgusting. I still ask myself how did that happen, but it makes my stomach turn to this day.

Because there were only two people who got on the front of the train: myself and him. Since it sure wasn't me, we pointed out the other guy who got on. It was really disgusting. I still ask myself how did that happen, but it makes my stomach turn to this day.

How did you not throw up when you saw that and smelled that? :eek:

How did you not throw up when you saw that and smelled that? :eek:

Lol...I don't even know. But I sure as hell felt bad for the T/O as he was locked in the car all by himself for the remainder of the run.

My whacked up experiences:

-August 2002: Blackout of the Village

I was inside the 14th Street Station on the uptown (F) platform. I was going to the (2) train when the lights were off on the (L) platform and a train was stalled. When I got to the (2), it was stuck in the tunnel, the first car was just 7 feet from the station. The entire station was as dark as hell. The R142 display was lighting up everything with an eerie glow. I had to take the bus back into Chinatown and the M20 was the only option. That ride was the bus ride from hell.

-February 2008: Debris at Grand Concourse

My friends and I were at Yankee Stadium on the (4) train when the announcement came that the train won't continue past Yankee due to debris in the tunnel. So the three of us charged down the stairs to the (D) train yelling like maniacs down the way.

-28 Feb 2009: The Snail Train Called the D (Express?)

Janet called me because she wanted to jog and she lived on the opposite corner of Manhattan from where I was. So I was in an urgent rush. It was nearly 11 and she expected me there at 11:30. On a normal day, I would've made it there in no time. But it was a weekend with a gazillion GOs plaguing a dozen lines. I didn't look for the advisories and didn't know there was a GO on the (D), which made it run local in the CPW. So I transferred to the (D) from the (F) and that bloody train decided to crawl at a snail's pace from Broadway Laffayette all the way to West 34th. Literally, as slow as possible, on the express tracks. Oh, when I did get there, Janet wasn't too happy that she had to wait half an hour for me to get there.

-15 Apr 2009: A Dark R160

Those who were there... could still remember this...

We were aboard a R160 (F) and at West 8th, the lights went out. Only the FIND and the LEDs were still on. And given the canopied environment, the scene was great for car interior pictures

Got more whacked up stories... let me think...

I had one this morning.

I was on an R68 (D) going over the Manhattan Bridge to get to Grand St and I was the first to notice we were on the (N)(Q) tracks. Before we got to Canal St, the T/O announced that there was a (B) train with mechanical problems stuck at Grand St so we rerouted to 57 St-7 Av. I got off at Canal St and took the (J) to Essex St. Once I got outside, I ran to my summer school and got there right on time! ;)

I had one this morning.

I was on an R68 (D) going over the Manhattan Bridge to get to Grand St and I was the first to notice we were on the (N)(Q) tracks. Before we got to Canal St, the T/O announced that there was a (B) train with mechanical problems stuck at Grand St so we rerouted to 57 St-7 Av. I got off at Canal St and took the (J) to Essex St. Once I got outside, I ran to my summer school and got there right on time! ;)

Thank God for that incident, my prep teacher got caught in it. Otherwise I would've been epically late for my test.

My whacked up experiences:

-August 2002: Blackout of the Village

I was inside the 14th Street Station on the uptown (F) platform. I was going to the (2) train when the lights were off on the (L) platform and a train was stalled. When I got to the (2), it was stuck in the tunnel, the first car was just 7 feet from the station. The entire station was as dark as hell. The R142 display was lighting up everything with an eerie glow. I had to take the bus back into Chinatown and the M20 was the only option. That ride was the bus ride from hell.

I had a blackout-related experience too. Some months ago I had a friend from Minnesota visit, so we went out and stayed out until 1AM. After leaving him at his hotel near Times Square (Marriott Marquis) and grabbing a snack, I got in the subway at 1:15 and survived a ride on the Homeless Express ((E)) to 14th St. Though I should have waited for the (A), I decided that the (L) might save me time over the late-night local (A), so I transferred to the (L). What I didn't know was that the (L) wasn't running between Lorimer and Myrtle Avenues, and I had to take the shuttle bus. Even at 2:00AM, the ride took nearly 30 minutes, compared to 9 minutes the (L) takes between these stops. Finally getting to Myrtle, I had to wait 10 minutes for an (L) to turn up, and got on once it did. The doors closed but the train did not move. A few minutes later the conductor announced that construction was going on nearby and they hadn't yet turned on the power to the third rail. The train used an on-board backup power source to run the A/C, and the lights were dimmed (so much so I couldn't read to spend the time). Since the doors were closed, I couldn't exit to the platform either. It took 35 minutes for the power to be restored to the third rail, and we finally moved out at about 3:15. Got to Broadway Junction at 3:30, caught an (A) that took another 30 minutes to get to Beach 67th St in the Rockaways, and had to walk 10 blocks to my house as there was no Q22 at that time, finally reaching home at 4:15am, almost 3-and-a-half hours after leaving the hotel.

I had a blackout-related experience too. Some months ago I had a friend from Minnesota visit, so we went out and stayed out until 1AM. After leaving him at his hotel near Times Square (Marriott Marquis) and grabbing a snack, I got in the subway at 1:15 and survived a ride on the Homeless Express ((E)) to 14th St. Though I should have waited for the (A), I decided that the (L) might save me time over the late-night local (A), so I transferred to the (L). What I didn't know was that the (L) wasn't running between Lorimer and Myrtle Avenues, and I had to take the shuttle bus. Even at 2:00AM, the ride took nearly 30 minutes, compared to 9 minutes the (L) takes between these stops. Finally getting to Myrtle, I had to wait 10 minutes for an (L) to turn up, and got on once it did. The doors closed but the train did not move. A few minutes later the conductor announced that construction was going on nearby and they hadn't yet turned on the power to the third rail. The train used an on-board backup power source to run the A/C, and the lights were dimmed (so much so I couldn't read to spend the time). Since the doors were closed, I couldn't exit to the platform either. It took 35 minutes for the power to be restored to the third rail, and we finally moved out at about 3:15. Got to Broadway Junction at 3:30, caught an (A) that took another 30 minutes to get to Beach 67th St in the Rockaways, and had to walk 10 blocks to my house as there was no Q22 at that time, finally reaching home at 4:15am, almost 3-and-a-half hours after leaving the hotel.

whoadamn.jpg

When I was a brand new c/r I was working the platform at 42nd street on the R line and thier was a male passenger on the bench laying down and I thought he was sleeping off a drunk. The old timers told me if he ain't bothering you, then don't bother them.

So I am minding my own business and just trying to get through my shift, when a passenger approaches me and tells me he thinks that guy on the bench is dead :eek: I ask how he would know that? His replied is simple, "Because he is blue!" You know he was right.

So the next (R) train in I approach the Motorman and tell him what is going on and ask him to radio CC and explain my situation. CC wants to know how I know the customer is dead, I explain that he the same color of my uniform pants :confused: They tell me to stay with the customer the police will be there and I'm thinking where the heck is this guy going.

Finally after 30 minutes the lone police officer shows up and he has been on the job for awhile,the leather belt is worn and the gun is old, very old and he has an old night stick that has seen better days. He ask me where the guy is and I step away from the bench and there he is, your not gonna believe what his next question was, that's right,"How do ya' he is dead?" :mad: I respond with," I'm not a doctor, but if your that blue, well that looks like dead, but whatta I know."

The PO takes his night stick and pokes the guy, nothing, nada, OK it looks like he really is dead says the PO and he places his night on his arm and it is dangling from his wrist and he gets his book out and his stick swings and hits the guys in the head and the guy wakes up startle and bitching about being woken up. The cop draws his gun and I jump behind the cop screaming the name of the lord and just freaking out :eek: It turns out that guy was drunk and sleeping it off. I would see that PO during my career and I once met him in FLA on vacation and we always laugh at that moment.

Archived