Life After Schoolcar...

NASCAR

Well enjoy those R 32/38/40/42'S while you can. When I get a R32 on the (F)(R) Lines it always brings a smile to my face. Next Pick I will have a day on the (E) to operate the old stuff.
Oh yes...R-42's,you'll have fun!We saw a couple of 160's in jamaica yard going on the "F" very soon.The "old timers" won't like that.:eek:

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yes...R-42's,you'll have fun!We saw a couple of 160's in jamaica yard going on the "F" very soon.The "old timers" won't like that.:eek:

Hehe....Now I can say this with certainty after operating all day on F and G lines that the R-46 shoots to the top of MY list...whatta pussycat of a train and someday when WE are the "old timers" that I will miss that train someday!

Oh and by the way, they can take all the R-68A's and make them natural reefs right now if they want..whatta piece of crap!...yep, it's been an interesting week my friends...had a guy (yes, THAT guy Snax) on the "F" line bring me past the middle of some stations on the post and was able to come to 10 car marker smoothly every time!

ps...glad to see you got your computer working again Nascar.:P

I can't believe I've been checking out these forums for a few months and only recently found this transit career discussion forum :confused: ... just never noticed it until a few days ago ...

I'm going to throw in my two cents more or less to jump into the conversation , then to make any real point. I like the 160's , but the master controller is uncomfortable. NASCAR , get used to them , they're the future and they're here to stay. Oddly enough , after the 160's which are the newest equipment , I like the 32's , the oldest. The 46's are cool. I don't like the 68's much and the 68-A's even less. I think the slant 40's are one ugly train , but have to agree they have great brakes. Had the F today , trip and a half with the 46's then last half with a 32 , I enjoyed bringing it down to Stillwell , haven't operated one in a while.... Any of you senior guys pick anything good? I 'picked' this morning ... over the phone :P , extra extra again , and this is the third pick I'm down here for. Could have been worse , could have been forced to take an OPTO extra job. ... For the new guys , good luck with finishing up schoolcar , you will enjoy the job a lot once you get out.

The (A) is a great line with good trains so I feel what that T/O is saying. I went to the (V) just for less cab time.

However get use to Train Crews and supervisors giving you guys the cold shoulder the way your being looked as is a New Jack from the street that didn't earn thier handles. I am just keeping it real you know we cool NASCAR. I really don't take many students because most don't have the respect for the job they think its a game. The main thing about students is if you hit a signal the trainer gets the days in the street.

You're going to get some creeps in every job, not just the TA....So far my experiences have mostly been good ones....I'm mainly friendly with everyone I encounter and for the most part have had positive results..I'm not saying that everyone I said hi to has said it back but so far I've made good friends with some of the T/O's I've posted with (emails etc.) and even the dispatchers in some sites....positive attitude goes a long way.

As far as many T/O's not taking students I think it's wrong for the TA to hold the trainer accountable and thats the reason I think most don't want to be bothered...sucks that a few students gave their training T/O a bad experience and it F^%$S it up for the rest of us....

As time goes on (next 10-20 yrs.) more people will have their positions "off the street" as the older operators retire etc. so that thinking will change. Most that ask me where I came from, off the street or from conductor etc. tell me right off the bat that they don't hold it against me...nobody from the TA was born into the job...

The way you carry yourself does go a long way. If I see someone who really wants to know about his job instead of acting like a know it all I may take them. I took one guy off the street on the (M) Line because I owned the T/D a favor I took over half the time because he tought he can creep and I mean creep into every station during PM Rush Hour. I think it was his nurves he had me and the TSS looking at this every move and I was telling him everything he was doing Wrong. I turned into a drill sargent with him but did him a lot of good one of the few in this class that didn't get restricted on a operations violation.

Hey Dave ,

I had F 333 that day ... I had the 32 the last trip , so was after 20:00 sometime I was heading back down. Somebody gave my conductor a hard time around Van Wyck Blvd. and he called control , so I was blowing long short long short from there down to 21st , and no police response. Someone was telling me they don't even teach that signal to cops in the academy anymore , I don't know. I haven't seen a cop yet respond to it. Maybe only the old timers do. I got R326 today , which is nice , I walk to and from 93rd street to get home. Then I got my RDO's. Will be down in AC playing poker Monday. Waste a little money from all the board time and late clears B)

For what it's worth , Taylors Law , I read some of what you posted aand I agree with a lot if it. Attitude does mean a lot. You want to project a positive , can-do attitude as much as possible , and when you do you're doing it for yourself , show what you're about , not doing it for the MTA. I never really got any crap from anyone for being off the street and if I did I'd tell whoever said it what they could do with it , but I've observed the same thing with some people being friendly to new guys , and some going out of their way to ignore them. Just focus on doing your job and being positive and the rest will come in time. B)

Hey Dave ,

I had F 333 that day ... I had the 32 the last trip , so was after 20:00 sometime I was heading back down. Somebody gave my conductor a hard time around Van Wyck Blvd. and he called control , so I was blowing long short long short from there down to 21st , and no police response. Someone was telling me they don't even teach that signal to cops in the academy anymore , I don't know. I haven't seen a cop yet respond to it. Maybe only the old timers do. I got R326 today , which is nice , I walk to and from 93rd street to get home. Then I got my RDO's. Will be down in AC playing poker Monday. Waste a little money from all the board time and late clears B)

For what it's worth , Taylors Law , I read some of what you posted aand I agree with a lot if it. Attitude does mean a lot. You want to project a positive , can-do attitude as much as possible , and when you do you're doing it for yourself , show what you're about , not doing it for the MTA. I never really got any crap from anyone for being off the street and if I did I'd tell whoever said it what they could do with it , but I've observed the same thing with some people being friendly to new guys , and some going out of their way to ignore them. Just focus on doing your job and being positive and the rest will come in time. B)

WASTE money? I thought from your posts in that other thread that you were a huster at the table...WIN some man! B) good luck down there

Good advice...thanx.

******Election Day!!!****** I'M BACK MY FRIENDS(McCain Voice) lol..Obama ftw!!:D Anyways,enough of that political stuff.Last week I was on the G and R..Boring runs by the way.;) The G has tooo many different marks to stop the train at.:eek:You would have to know the line to operate with confidence.The R line I got this nervous guy who I had to shut up by operating in my Zone and make all my marks!He didn't like the fact that I kept the car marker in the corner of my front window.:confused:WHO CARES!! The conductor was on the board ALL THE TIME!!Why?? Because I'm that dude..;)Just let me operate and guide me,give me pointers,make me a better T/O.Don't steal 2 hours from TA just because you need extra cash.:mad: Some of these so called teacher's are BUMS!!I Did the F yesterday and this trainer had me doing things I never thought I could do on the R46!! I felt like the "Karate Kid":p I was pushing that train like never before!I was blowing in those fast stations and breaking that train down like a pro.B) He was an excellent trainer.We moved FAST and safe!The best moment was when I blew in Continental like a Mad Man and made my mark.:)The people in the tower was looking like wtf??My trainer was very pleased..ha ha!We both got along well..:)

Jah , you need to be on the board. Period. We're taught in school car to stop the train with the marker exactly parallel with the front of the train , on back to the back of the operators window. What tends to get the trainers and TSS's pissed off is when you stop short of the marker , even a few inches as a trainee. If you're a little past it , they mind less. Some of the stations fitted with the platform TV's on the conductors's boards require the TO to deliberately put the marker in his window for the conductor to be at the TV. Still , every stop we're trying to nail it perfect. Are you taking the T/O test coming up in '09?

Jah , Are you taking the T/O test coming up in '09?

Nah but I am taking the TSS test on the 15th. Not a job I want but I always take the test because you pay $60 to take it and get paid over $200 for the day. I'll take the $140 for a couple of hours and have the rest of the day off. I did ok 2 tests ago and really good on the last one they gave in late 2003.

Nah but I am taking the TSS test on the 15th. Not a job I want but I always take the test because you pay $60 to take it and get paid over $200 for the day. I'll take the $140 for a couple of hours and have the rest of the day off. I did ok 2 tests ago and really good on the last one they gave in late 2003.

I've always wondered...What is the pay for TSS's?

Jah , you need to be on the board. Period. We're taught in school car to stop the train with the marker exactly parallel with the front of the train , on back to the back of the operators window. What tends to get the trainers and TSS's pissed off is when you stop short of the marker , even a few inches as a trainee. If you're a little past it , they mind less. Some of the stations fitted with the platform TV's on the conductors's boards require the TO to deliberately put the marker in his window for the conductor to be at the TV. Still , every stop we're trying to nail it perfect. Are you taking the T/O test coming up in '09?

So how would a T/O know if he needs to stop the train parallel with the marker or by his window?

I Did the F yesterday and this trainer had me doing things I never thought I could do on the R46!! I felt like the "Karate Kid":p I was pushing that train like never before!I was blowing in those fast stations and breaking that train down like a pro.:D He was an excellent trainer.We moved FAST and safe!The best moment was when I blew in Continental like a Mad Man and made my mark.:)The people in the tower was looking like wtf??My trainer was very pleased..ha ha!We both got along well..:)

You got the skidmarks in your skivvies to proove it...right? :) I guess you read my post in this forum too. Kool stuff, can't make this SH%t up.

So how would a T/O know if he needs to stop the train parallel with the marker or by his window?
All you have to do is make the mark PERIOD.If its in yur window,corner of the front window,a little past it,or you stop a little short of the mark MOST c/r will open up.If the c/r has monitors on the platforms or you have to punch for a route,then you would wan't to be more precise.Other than that,yur gonna be fine.Oh I forgot,some stations will have the home-ball right on top of the mark sooooo in that case you WOULD wanna stop a little short.:eek:

Archived