Life After Schoolcar...

NASCAR

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess you won't have any problems with the Subway Simulator during T/O Training.

The Subway Simulator they use for T/O training is made by a private company just like the M7 Simulator that Metro-North has, right? I've seen the one for the M7 and that setup looks nice.

Depends...do your passengers get mad at you for putting them on the floor while stopping? -_-

Only with the trains I rarely use in BVE like the R1 and such but with the R32 I'm king in stopping on the marker without pissing off my passengers though BVE seems to be very sensitive in regards to that.

Only with the trains I rarely use in BVE like the R1 and such but with the R32 I'm king in stopping on the marker without pissing off my passengers though BVE seems to be very sensitive in regards to that.

MY R32, or the default one? You haven't lived as a video game T/O till you've operated my R32... -_-:D (only half kidding)

And yeah the R1 iN BVE has an issue with the way it's programmed. A 10 pound brake reduction will put everyone on the floor. It's darn near impossible to make a smooth stop with that train because the cylinders release air and it causes the train to stop too fast (its an automatic system)

MY R32, or the default one? You haven't lived as a video game T/O till you've operated my R32... -_-:D (only half kidding)

And yeah the R1 iN BVE has an issue with the way it's programmed. A 10 pound brake reduction will put everyone on the floor. It's darn near impossible to make a smooth stop with that train because the cylinders release air and it causes the train to stop too fast (its an automatic system)

Send me the config of your R32 so I can try it out.

Although BVE is fun to play it's not completely accurate when it comes to accelerating on grades and such. (but close enuf) -_-

Yeah, I know BVE ain't really accurate but at least I will have the basic gist of how it works, so I would be going in with a slight advantage during training so it's not that bad. :D

You got the skidmarks in your skivvies to proove it...right? :D I guess you read my post in this forum too. Kool stuff, can't make this SH%t up.
Ha,Ha I had fun..I'll operate like that after probation and zero balance on my union dues.-_-

Ha,Ha I had fun..I'll operate like that after probation and zero balance on my union dues.-_-
Nascar ur post are CLASSIC man haha. How would you rate the WHOLE EXP so far. Do you see yourself liking the job??? I cant wait to take this test and get into where you guys are.

Although BVE is fun to play it's not completely accurate when it comes to accelerating on grades and such. (but close enuf) -_-

yup plus a lot of the trains are too fast (top speed, acceleration), and the timetables aren't quite right...if the game actually enforced timers, there's no way ANY bve T/O would ever take lunch :D

Yeah, I know BVE ain't really accurate but at least I will have the basic gist of how it works, so I would be going in with a slight advantage during training so it's not that bad. :D

Yea, I guess....One thing they nailed right at least is the air releasing on the R-44's...gotta love THAT sound...-_-

Nah but I am taking the TSS test on the 15th. Not a job I want but I always take the test because you pay $60 to take it and get paid over $200 for the day. I'll take the $140 for a couple of hours and have the rest of the day off. I did ok 2 tests ago and really good on the last one they gave in late 2003.
I'll be taken the TSS Exam on Nov 15. I really don't want the Job but alway take every promotional exam to keep options open in case I change my mind. Not everyone had off to take the exam but lucky It works for me this time around.

Good Luck to you two, and I hope you both make it......

I guess you won't have any problems with the Subway Simulator during T/O Training.

All I'll say, it doesn't mimic the real thing at all..............

All I know is that I'm a quick learner, so if it's nothing like BVE at all, I'm sure I will adapt quickly.

All it is, is knowing your signals and miscellaneous signs, which tells you how fast you can go, and knowing your train you are operating. As with cars and buses, no two operate the same, even if it is the same model. As for a train, no two ends operate the same. One end can have tight superb brakes, while the other is just crap. The 7 line is a great example of that, due to units on the South end, and single cars on the North end. The 3 is crappy from both ends, and the 1 is usually great on both, from what I feel. Of course the old timers on here who operated in the A Div, know best on that. All I can say is you adjust to what you are given, unless it is really bad, then "It is unsafe to operate"........

All it is, is knowing your signals and miscellaneous signs, which tells you how fast you can go, and knowing your train you are operating. As with cars and buses, no two operate the same, even if it is the same model. As for a train, no two ends operate the same. One end can have tight superb brakes, while the other is just crap. The 7 line is a great example of that, due to units on the South end, and single cars on the North end. The 3 is crappy from both ends, and the 1 is usually great on both, from what I feel. Of course the old timers on here who operated in the A Div, know best on that. All I can say is you adjust to what you are given, unless it is really bad, then "It is unsafe to operate"........

I've learned the signals from watching out the front window all the time, same with the signs posted along the route. I've got the T/O passbook and I've been studying that for other stuff I don't know much about yet which is more in regards to the technical stuff behind the trains, eg: braking systems, air systems, etc..etc..

I've learned the signals from watching out the front window all the time, same with the signs posted along the route. I've got the T/O passbook and I've been studying that for other stuff I don't know much about yet which is more in regards to the technical stuff behind the trains, eg: braking systems, air systems, etc..etc..

That stuff you learn in class. You will learn proper brake pipe and straight air pressures for SMEE type trains, and brake pipe and brake cylinder air for NTT types (they don't have straight air). You will learn the different circuit breakers, on all equipment you will operate in your division. It all will come in time. They will give you the books when you get hired, usually on your first day of Orientation. By the end of that week, you will have a ton of crap to carry and be responsible for............

Home ball = Home signal?
Oh yeh..Every time you see that signal,think of yur family,car,clothes,mortgage,vacations,Peter Luger dining,girl friend,wife,46 inch flat screen t.v.,cold bench at 2 broadway,health benefits,tools.....You will also need to get a BIG bottle of Grey Goose and mix it with O.J. and drink away the pain because TA will take you out of service until they decide yur fate!!:eek:On the other hand,HOPE that it's payday and the Tower Operator's feeling good..lol

Nascar ur post are CLASSIC man haha. How would you rate the WHOLE EXP so far. Do you see yourself liking the job??? I cant wait to take this test and get into where you guys are.
Whole exp has been good.I have the MOST fun with my classmates and my instructors.The job of Operating the train is GREAT!The people that run the railroad and fellow employees can make the job bad.I'm used to working by myself and at my own pace.I thank GOD that I have a job in this current state of the economy.For now,I will stick it out but I'm leaning towards a plan B.

Archived