Life After Schoolcar...

NASCAR

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back from AC , tuned up for the World Series of Poker events I'll be playing at Harrah's my next two sets of RDO's ... $500 buy in events , NOT the $10k main event that is televised for anybody who watches TV and knows about poker. But still will be decent prize pool , although I'll be competing for thousands , not millions. Had my pocket Queens cracked by 3-6 suited :mad: for those of you that know what that means , yes , you read it right. But was only a $100 buy in event so that was where the lightweights like to play. The real test comes next week. B)

NASCAR , if Dave says your cool , you're cool. I don't know him personally yet , but here on these boards he's THE man , so his word is good as gold. Good luck with the training. The conductor could have given you a break , but it's done. I was giving you a heads up because I've seen guys I know and went through school car with , I can think of two examples , that took a confrontational approach to the job , rules , supervision etc. from day one and though they made it past probation , they had a rougher ride than necessary along the way. I got a real dose of the MTA B.S. myself these last two weeks with scheduling , so I'm not in the best mood with the job right now , not "sticking up for it" just doing what I have to do each day , and passing along some advice to you. As far as I see it , we're cool , and if I'm ever deadheading somewhere on one of your trains , I promise not to pull any cords , then reset them , while you're going over a bridge ... in the snow ... late at night ... leaving you with a big headache ... :eek:

I promise man ... honest ... you can always trust a poker player ... :cool:

PS , I'm not taking bets any longer against you , it's officially called off :)

3 6 suited??? What'd he put in the middle to see that flop? Although I guess if it's lightweights some will call almost anything to see a flop with suited hole cards... always good to be the one smiling holding the higher flush when they hit with their 2 4 suited...B) ...when that happens...

Hello NASCAR and Mike! Everything is good with me. Mike I don't know what to say thanks for the kind words didn't know I had a following or you bettering me up for when I become TSS?:) LOL!

The (Q) is not a bad line you must of just got stuck with a bad job they have a few Money jobs on the line with decent breaks. That being said you won't find me working it and could of picked it 5 days on PM's but closed out on AM's. You want blood money try 3 trips on the (C) 4 trips on the (E) 4 trips on the (W) 5 trips on the (L) and 4 trips on the (J).

The R68A I hate those trains but can handle them if I have too. My A Div people tell me the R62A's on the (7) Line are the same way. Thats one of the thing I going to hate when I make the move back to the other side is Road Posting all over again.

Wow...5 trips on the (L)??? That one sounds REAL rough... How many hrs would that typically pay?

As for me, if I get called I live on the east side of Manhattan which isn't really convenient for anything (except (Q) out of 57/7, although I hear that's high seniority, but if it goes to Ditmars adios to that) so I guess I'll have to be "unpredictable" like PBD and go everywhere equally :cool:

How much layover time do the "blood money" 4 trippers on the (W) and (J) get typically?

Nascar when you say you blow into the stations HOT, does that mean you dont brake before entering the terminal????? Im just trying to get a feel on this lingo haha.

I was just in NYC this weekend and was at Times Sq station and man the 2 3 trains were coming into the station VERY SLOW. I would guesstimate 10 mph w greens all in front of them. I was just thinking to myself man I know I could stop a train on that 10 marker going that slow into a terminal ( I Think Anyways ) now blowing into a station and braking in the middle of the platform is another story, enlighten me boys on how it works I prob only got 4 more years til im a motorman :P

More than likely, green or not, there was probably a speed limit when entering that particular station....

Wow...5 trips on the (L)??? That one sounds REAL rough... How many hrs would that typically pay?

As for me, if I get called I live on the east side of Manhattan which isn't really convenient for anything (except (Q) out of 57/7, although I hear that's high seniority, but if it goes to Ditmars adios to that) so I guess I'll have to be "unpredictable" like PBD and go everywhere equally :cool:

How much layover time do the "blood money" 4 trippers on the (W) and (J) get typically?

IMO the 5 on the L is the easiest of the earlier listed terrible jobs. Buts it been a while since I worked over there, I am no longer qualified on that line. If you live in manhattan they will keep you uptown most of the time if you're in the B division. 145, 168, 207, Bedfrod park. But when you're extra you "tour" the entire system daily especially while on probation.

When you're on probation there's a bullseye on you're back most places highlight the word probation next to your name on the payroll so they don't forget to have a tss watch you and so your partner knows.

When it comes to the "blood money" jobs there is usually very little recover time hence the term blood money. You are almost always in the cab.

The (L) 5 trippers are about 9Hr 1/2 with 25 Minute breaks at Canarcie and 5 to 9 Minutes at 8AV. The Lunch is normally 38 to 45 Minutes. You won't see 57 /7 that much. You would be working Uptown and Queens mostly.

I am unpredictable by choice. The closest location for me is 168 St / Bway 1HR 10 Minutes from my home and its right over the GWB. I could pick 5 days both AM or PM tour on the (C) out of 168 or (A) out of 207 St but I like moving around. I worked the (A)(C) for the last 3 years its time for a change. I did mix those assignments with other lines like taken jobs on the (J)(M)(L) Lines. Now I just felt the need to change my District. This pick and next I will have worked the (E)(F)(R)(V) Lines just No (G) because couldn't get anything decent for the week and I'm NOT doing OPTO.

Also as much as I like changes and challeges I won't Pick Extra List or Vacation Refief because I don't want the Crew Office to control my life.

More than likely, green or not, there was probably a speed limit when entering that particular station....
Taylor so are there stations that always have a speed limit that you have to enter and then there are some HOT stations haha????

Also what are the normal speed limits from station to station. It seemed to me the trains travel maybe 20 mph in the tunnel, and I saw the Exp 1 go through i believe 23rd St and it wasnt going very fast either maybe 30 or so.

Im just trying to get a little jump on the how things go DOWN in the Subway no pun intended :P

Nascar when you say you blow into the stations HOT, does that mean you dont brake before entering the terminal????? Im just trying to get a feel on this lingo haha.

I was just in NYC this weekend and was at Times Sq station and man the 2 3 trains were coming into the station VERY SLOW. I would guesstimate 10 mph w greens all in front of them. I was just thinking to myself man I know I could stop a train on that 10 marker going that slow into a terminal ( I Think Anyways ) now blowing into a station and braking in the middle of the platform is another story, enlighten me boys on how it works I prob only got 4 more years til im a motorman :(

Yeh coming in HOT means flying in with no braking!My favorite spots are 42 st.times square 8th Ave. southbound and 71st. continental Queens bound!:D Oh yeh...Utica Ave. Far Rock/Lefferts A! I usually approach the stations wrapped then take off power once my window is in the station and take a NICE brake.These stations are a slant/40's dream!:D

I heard you posted on the N with "Austin Powers"!:D Yeah Baby!!! That's a GREAT guy I gotta say..He told me just to operate,it's my train and he can't teach anyone how to operate,you have to get a feel for it.I was passed to his partner with two trips on the W.I had a ball!Those are some GREAT guys with a good sense of humor.

I cant wait to apply and take this test next year. I hope the test isnt to far away from the filing date.

NASCAR your digging those Slants huh haha. It seems everyone loves those brakes. What is it about them? Do they stop on a dime???

Also guys what is the fastest accelerated Train of the bunches. I saw a vid of a R 160 on the N line going through Sea Beach on a test run WOW this thing had to be doing almost 50 mph

You better watch Utica Ave Southbound (A) it got many of T/O's. I just Love Nostrand S/B on the (A) hit the platfrom fast.
Yeah but I wonder, are timers really needed on that section? the curve into the station isn't that bad compared to others that I've seen without any timers.

I heard you posted on the N with "Austin Powers"!:) Yeah Baby!!! That's a GREAT guy I gotta say..He told me just to operate,it's my train and he can't teach anyone how to operate,you have to get a feel for it.I was passed to his partner with two trips on the W.I had a ball!Those are some GREAT guys with a good sense of humor.

yea, good day...both are great guys..

You better watch Utica Ave Southbound (A) it got many of T/O's. I just Love Nostrand S/B on the (A) hit the platfrom fast.
I can imagine!That station is scary..lol I take it easy at Utica! What about Nostrand track 3? Isn't that the timer that clears at 40+mph?

I cant wait to apply and take this test next year. I hope the test isnt to far away from the filing date.

NASCAR your digging those Slants huh haha. It seems everyone loves those brakes. What is it about them? Do they stop on a dime???

Also guys what is the fastest accelerated Train of the bunches. I saw a vid of a R 160 on the N line going through Sea Beach on a test run WOW this thing had to be doing almost 50 mph

The slants are light and FAST!:) The breaking is really good too..I like how they handle on curves.You gotta experience the slants from 59st.columbus to 125st!!:D R160's are the FASTEST hands down! The acceleration is CRAZEE!

The R160 feels slow to me. Not like the slant. You can hear that slant from a mile away! Then again I remember someone here saying that the R160 uses a air suspension so it makes the ride feel smoother. lol I don't think I will be able to get into the TA soon enough to operate a slant though :)

Always see R160's on the (Q) race R40 Slants on the (:) coming outta an express station, the 160 always wins everytime. Also seen 160's (Q) race R68/A's (:D boy, the 160 always wins that one by a landsilde, it literally blows past the 68/A's like their standing still. The 68's sometimes get a head start, same result.

Archived