Incorrect destination signs

Q43LTD

What are some signs that are incorrect to you? Examples:

The Bx36 says Soundview when it ends in Castle Hill

The Q42 destination sign says Addisleigh Park but the schedule says St Albans 

The Q28 destination says Bay Terrace. Schedule says Bayside

On the Queens bus map notes, the Q45 ended at Juniper Valley. Looking at a map, it's the Elmhurst-Middle Village border. 

The M14A saying West Side, when it has 2 eastern terminals at Abingdon Square and Chelsea Piers. 

The Manhattan crosstown routes saying East Side and West Side.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The incorrect ones that immediately come to mind, are the WB M21 (ends in Hudson Square, not SoHo), Bx16 (that's actually still Eastchester... Pelham is in Westchester county, not the Bronx; Ropes av is not in Westchester) & the WB B3 & B6 (ends in Bath Beach, not Bensonhurst)...

I'd change a lot more, but I wouldn't necessarily say that they're incorrect - just more for uniformity purposes (with other routes that have common terminals) and/or specificity purposes....

Edited by B35 via Church

When did the Q77 start ending at the South Conduit and Springfield Blvd? It still has a stop on Springfield Blvd & 145th Ave in front of that middle school yet it seems that no bus goes there anymore. It has an incorrect destination. It says Springfield Gardens 225th street but there is no stop for it on 225th. The real destination should say Springfield Gardens- S. Conduit.

What do the B16, B43, and B48 say for the (more or less) shared terminus? I know the B41 short-turns say Empire Boulevard, even though the short-turns never touch the east side of that intersection (they actually end on Lincoln Road and double back by using Ocean Avenue to Flatbush Avenue).

1 hour ago, Lex said:

What do the B16, B43, and B48 say for the (more or less) shared terminus? I know the B41 short-turns say Empire Boulevard, even though the short-turns never touch the east side of that intersection (they actually end on Lincoln Road and double back by using Ocean Avenue to Flatbush Avenue).

Lefferts Gardens || Prospect Pk Sta (all 3 say the same thing)

10 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

What are some signs that are incorrect to you? Examples:

The Bx36 says Soundview when it ends in Castle Hill

The Q42 destination sign says Addisleigh Park but the schedule says St Albans 

The Q28 destination says Bay Terrace. Schedule says Bayside

On the Queens bus map notes, the Q45 ended at Juniper Valley. Looking at a map, it's the Elmhurst-Middle Village border. 

The M14A saying West Side, when it has 2 eastern terminals at Abingdon Square and Chelsea Piers. 

The Manhattan crosstown routes saying East Side and West Side.

Maybe the marketing people and the planners don't talk to the Community Boards (or each other). 

As for the M14A, there is only one West Side terminal (Abingdon Square). At one point last year, there were dueling community groups fighting to either keep the buses in Abingdon Square or reroute then elsewhere. Maybe the generic "West Side" sign was an allowance in case either side won.

7 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

When did the Q77 start ending at the South Conduit and Springfield Blvd? It still has a stop on Springfield Blvd & 145th Ave in front of that middle school yet it seems that no bus goes there anymore. It has an incorrect destination. It says Springfield Gardens 225th street but there is no stop for it on 225th. The real destination should say Springfield Gardens- S. Conduit.

Within the past year. The union suddenly didn't like the U-turn at 145th Road, so the buses turn at South Conduit and drop off with the Q85, then keep going on South Conduit, left 225th, left North Conduit back to Springfield. As long as the bus is going to 225th to turn around, it might as well stop there.

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

As for the M14A, there is only one West Side terminal (Abingdon Square). At one point last year, there were dueling community groups fighting to either keep the buses in Abingdon Square or reroute then elsewhere. Maybe the generic "West Side" sign was an allowance in case either side won.

That was my understanding of the situation...

12 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The incorrect ones that immediately come to mind, are the WB M21 (ends in Hudson Square, not SoHo), Bx16 (that's actually still Eastchester... Pelham is in Westchester county, not the Bronx; Ropes av is not in Westchester) & the WB B3 & B6 (ends in Bath Beach, not Bensonhurst)...

I'd change a lot more, but I wouldn't necessarily say that they're incorrect - just more for uniformity purposes (with other routes that have common terminals) and/or specificity purposes....

The 16 destination signage on buses makes sense; after crossing the Eastchester Bridge on Boston Road, it enters into assumed Pelham Manor territory where it terminates at Ropes Avenue on Boston Road. There is a gray area within there because the area that is considered to be such which is really Parkside in Mount Vernon is considered the western part of Pelham Manor which is further east. The schedule has the 16 last stop indicated inside Eastchester, which is wrong since it looks closer to Parkside.

41 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

How about the B7 displaying Bedford Stuyvesant when it actually ends in Ocean Hill

That would be like changing the B14/B17 terminal in Crown Heights to read Weeksville - Utica av....

BTW, the destination sign for both those routes say different things → B14 says Crown Heights - Utica av & the B17 says Crown Heights - Eastern Pkwy....

3 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

The 16 destination signage on buses makes sense; after crossing the Eastchester Bridge on Boston Road, it enters into assumed Pelham Manor territory where it terminates at Ropes Avenue on Boston Road. There is a gray area within there because the area that is considered to be such which is really Parkside in Mount Vernon is considered the western part of Pelham Manor which is further east. The schedule has the 16 last stop indicated inside Eastchester, which is wrong since it looks closer to Parkside.

Once you cross the Hutchinson River, the land mass on both sides of Boston Road is not considered Westchester (which is what it looks like you're implicating)... Sure, the UPS facility & Post Road Plaza is in the town of Pelham... OTOH, as you're approaching Ropes av (as in, panning eastbound), you are not in Westchester county until you pass that IHOP, which is in the Bronx...

The long & the short of it is that Ropes av is not in Westchester county.

I'm not sure what Parkside has to do with anything here, as it pertains to where the Bx16 terminates....

These aren’t necessarily incorrect, more like inconsistent:

Q46 Kew Gardens Queens Blvd instead of Kew Gardens Union Tpke Sta like the Q10 and Q37

Q25/34/65 Jamaica LIRR-Airtrain vs Q30/31 Jamaica LIRR, while they are on different sides of the LIRR station, the Airtrain is still right there

12 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Within the past year. The union suddenly didn't like the U-turn at 145th Road, so the buses turn at South Conduit and drop off with the Q85, then keep going on South Conduit, left 225th, left North Conduit back to Springfield. As long as the bus is going to 225th to turn around, it might as well stop there.

It's actually right on 225, right on 145 Av, right on Springfield and terminate. 

7 hours ago, Hound said:

Why don't they just extend the Q77 further south to 147th Ave where it can even connect with the Q111 instead  of dead=ending at 145th?

Probably because there's no easy turnaround in the immediate area. I do like what they have planned for the QT71, turning around near JFK Depot (I agree it would be nice to see the Q77 do that in the meantime)

40 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

It's actually right on 225, right on 145 Av, right on Springfield and terminate. 

I see Q77’s enter service at Springfield Blvd & North Conduit. I think the stops at Springfield Blvd & 145th Ave got eliminated but no one ever took the sign away.

7 hours ago, Hound said:

Why don't they just extend the Q77 further south to 147th Ave where it can even connect with the Q111 instead  of dead=ending at 145th?

I think the Q77 should end at 147th Ave but not solely for the purpose of having a connection to the Q111. I don’t see many people using that connection at all. I think the Q77 should end at 147th Ave for coverage purposes. More people at its new first stop at Springfield and North Conduit tend to gun more for the Q85 more than the Q77. The Q77 is a glorified school route and it’s the more slower route to Jamaica in comparison to the Q85 and Q111. I see school kids benefitting primarily from Q77 extension to 147. 

42 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I think the Q77 should end at 147th Ave but not solely for the purpose of having a connection to the Q111. I don’t see many people using that connection at all. I think the Q77 should end at 147th Ave for coverage purposes. More people at its new first stop at Springfield and North Conduit tend to gun more for the Q85 more than the Q77. The Q77 is a glorified school route and it’s the more slower route to Jamaica in comparison to the Q85 and Q111. I see school kids benefitting primarily from Q77 extension to 147. 

How would buses turn around at 147th Avenue?  Part of me wants a one-way loop using South Conduit, 225th Street, 147th Avenue, Springfield. 

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

Lots of NIMBYs on 145th Avenue?

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

How would buses turn around at 147th Avenue?  Part of me wants a one-way loop using South Conduit, 225th Street, 147th Avenue, Springfield. 

Lots of NIMBYs on 145th Avenue?

Left turn on 147th, right onto Springfield Lane, left onto 149th Ave, left onto 223rd street and left back onto 147th Ave. 

On 8/21/2020 at 1:27 AM, B35 via Church said:

the WB B3 & B6 (ends in Bath Beach, not Bensonhurst)

uggh! the B6 destination sign specifically has infuriated me since childhood.

imo two routes' destination signs that need to get their s**t together: the B12 & B25. can we just get a uniform code since they both end at the Alabama (J)... a la the B103 & Q35? oh, speaking of that area, can the B11 sign get on board with the Q35 & B103 please? another thing (maybe I'm nitpicking) the B26/38/41/52/103 need to pick either downtown Brooklyn ÷ tillary or downtown Brooklyn ÷ cadman plaza... OR a combination of both, similar to the Q31 Bayside sign reading:

first sign: Downtown Brooklyn (or DNTWN BKLYN) 

then: Cadman Plaza ÷ Tillary Street

might be overkill, database wise. 

imo both the B14 & B17 should display Crown Heights (or CROWN HTS) then, Utica Av Sta ÷ Eastern Pky

imo the B64, B68 & B82 should display Coney Island ÷ Stillwell Terminal