Incorrect destination signs

Q43LTD

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What do you think about the Bx18 signage? (now that the "terminal" has been changed on that "end" of the route, it just says "River Park Towers" in a smaller font size)

Would you have it say Morris Heights? Matter fact, would you have the Bx18, 40, and the 42 all read the same thing?

I would let the 40 and 42 say River Park Towers. The 18 would've just said Undercliff Sedgwick

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, it's Marc

I have a question and would appreciate if you could help me. I was told that you are the right people to talk to. It's about the history of bus service in New York, more specifically bus stop announcements and displays.

I had a conversation with an acquaintance about bus stop announcements and displays in the 1980s and 1990s. I will also be doing a paper in class on this topic (public transportation).

My first question is, when did automatic bus stop announcements and displays start?

Before there were automatic stop announcements and displays on buses, did bus drivers have to call out the stops into the microphone?

Did bus drivers really do that when they had to announce the stops themselves?

What was it like in New York?

Are there any of you bus drivers or other people who have ridden the bus a lot since that time (1970) but especially 1980/1990s and also in the 2000s and know what it was like in reality or experienced it yourself?

And how is it today, when the automatic stop announcements and displays fail, do the bus drivers also announce the stops over the microphone?

I look forward to your answer

With kind regards

Marc

Hello Q43LTD,

thank you for your interesting message.

Have you been a frequent passenger on the New York buses?

How high would you estimate the rate of bus drivers who always announced the stops over the microphone?

More like 50 percent or 80 percent?

Did that work well?

Did you also experience the 1980 /1990s?

Were in the 1980 already the stops announced by the bus driver? Are there perhaps videos in which you can see how the bus driver announce the stops over the microphone?

I am happy to receive more information

Many greetings

Marc

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, marc224 said:

Hello Q43LTD,

thank you for your interesting message.

Have you been a frequent passenger on the New York buses?

I was until 2015

How high would you estimate the rate of bus drivers who always announced the stops over the microphone?

More like 50 percent or 80 percent?

Did that work well?

I would say in between

Did you also experience the 1980 /1990s?

90's yes, I was born in 85 lol

Were in the 1980 already the stops announced by the bus driver? Are there perhaps videos in which you can see how the bus driver announce the stops over the microphone?

I am happy to receive more information

Many greetings

Marc

Replies in bold...