Incorrect destination signs

Q43LTD

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The SIM3 schedule saying "SIM3 continues to NY after Slosson Av" like Staten Island is in New Jersey for one...

Speaking of SI...

Why does the S42 say Clyde Pl & Arnold St without mentioning New Brighton?

That irks me on Metro-North with some of the stations talking about trains "To New York", but yeah I got a good laugh when I first saw that.

As for the S42, technically the area is Cottage Hill (which I suppose you could consider a subsection of New Brighton). But yeah not sure why they don't include it (in the meantime you have the short-turn S40 buses saying Arlington and then separately South Av/Arlington Pl which is super-detailed especially for a short-turn)

56 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Come to think it, the S42 never said Silver Lake when it had that rush hour extension (or any neighborhood not named St George). Dumb question what street divides South Av between Arlington and Mariners Harbor? 

The railroad tracks (old North Shore Branch, currently used by ConRail).

4 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Come to think it, the S42 never said Silver Lake when it had that rush hour extension (or any neighborhood not named St George). Dumb question what street divides South Av between Arlington and Mariners Harbor? 

Yeah looking at an old pre-2010 listing we have:

6420 S42 ST GEORGE  FERRY
6421 S42 CLYDE PL  ARNOLD ST
6423 S42 FOREST AV  HAVNWOOD AV

I guess they just never used neighborhood names for the S42 [shrugs] I would love to know what the thought process was behind that.

Edited by Around the Horn

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That irks me on Metro-North with some of the stations talking about trains "To New York", but yeah I got a good laugh when I first saw that.

As for the S42, technically the area is Cottage Hill (which I suppose you could consider a subsection of New Brighton). But yeah not sure why they don't include it (in the meantime you have the short-turn S40 buses saying Arlington and then separately South Av/Arlington Pl which is super-detailed especially for a short-turn)

At least with Metro-North, I could cut them some slack because most stations are not within the city, so it can be interpreted that they mean New York (city). As far as the SIM3 schedules go, yeah that's definitely a head-scratcher, since even if you were referring to New York City, Staten Island is part of New York City.

The Q20/ Q24 and Q44 all terminate at the same spot but I think Q24’s say “168 Street/ Archer Ave”, the Q20 says “Jamaica/ Merrick Blvd” and the Q44 just says “Jamaica”. The Q17 when it used to terminate in between Jamaica Ave and Archer Ave used to say “Jamaica/ Archer Ave” but now it says “Jamaica/ Merrick Blvd”. 

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The SIM3 schedule saying "SIM3 continues to NY after Slosson Av" like Staten Island is in New Jersey for one...

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

At least with Metro-North, I could cut them some slack because most stations are not within the city, so it can be interpreted that they mean New York (city). As far as the SIM3 schedules go, yeah that's definitely a head-scratcher, since even if you were referring to New York City, Staten Island is part of New York City.

The whole "to New York" thing used to bug me, but when you realize the existence of the prefix in the word suburban, you eventually come to terms that there's no need to be irked about it :lol:B-)

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The Q20/ Q24 and Q44 all terminate at the same spot but I think Q24’s say “168 Street/ Archer Ave”, the Q20 says “Jamaica/ Merrick Blvd” and the Q44 just says “Jamaica”. The Q17 when it used to terminate in between Jamaica Ave and Archer Ave used to say “Jamaica/ Archer Ave” but now it says “Jamaica/ Merrick Blvd”. 

They keep changing the Q24's EB destination signage; I can't keep up... Now it says 168th st/Archer av??? smh.....

6 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I guess they just never used neighborhood names for the S42 [shrugs] I would love to know what the thought process was behind that.

Damn. That list must have been from 2002. 

Imagine seeing a Bx5 Limited rolling down to Southern Boulevard, would've been a weird sight.

It's codes 3055 and 3056, in the link that you shared.

19 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

These aren’t necessarily incorrect destination readings, but I wanted to point them out as it’s related to the topic:

S44 short turns to Post/Jewett Avs now display “POST AV” on top with “JEWETT AV” on the bottom where as before, they didn’t (at least on the Orion Vs and RTS when they were around).

On the 2019 Nova LFS: The S94 displays “SI MALL (top) YUKON AV (bottom) just like the S44 and S61 do. Any bus before that would show this: S94 “LIMITED” —> “SI MALL”—> “YUKON AV”. Meanwhile, the S91 just shows “SI MALL”

Some other SI routes that share terminals with different readings I’ve found odd are:

S48: ARLINGTON/HOLLAND AV

S98: MARINRS HBR

Any route that goes to St. George: “ST. GEORGE FERRY

S91, S96, S98:  LIMTED —>ST GEORGE

S54: ELTINGVILLE/RICHMOND AV

S59: HYLAN BL

S78: RICHMOND AV

S89: ELTINGVILLE/HYLAN BLVD

Fun facts:

Before the S40/S90 were extended to Matrix Park:

S40: GOETHALS RD N. via RICH TR

S90: LIMTED—> GOETHALS RD via RICHMOND TERR

S52: Went from SI HOSP —> SEAVIEW AV to both in one reading.

S54: Used to read: W NW BRIGTHN, now it’s: W NEW BRIGHTON/RICHMOND TERR

The S57 used to just read “NEW DORP“, now it reads: NEW DORP/MILL RD.

S62: Many years ago, short-turns to CSI used to say: CANTRBURY AV

S79: Before SBS: BAY RIDGE/86 ST STA

Current: BAY RIDGE/86 ST STATION

SI MALL—> via HYLAN

I think it’s now STATEN IS MALL —> via HYLAN.

EDIT: I just looked through all the pages of this thread and I see that @checkmatechamp13 mentioned some of these already.

Edited by S78 via Hylan
Forgot some past codes.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:51 AM, Q43LTD said:

Or how about a Bx23 going to Mount Vernon? 

Not saying it should happen, but it would beat trying to get to the BL-52 or BL-55 from PBP or Co-op.....

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I just thought of it. Maybe it should have been inconsistent destination signs.

Yeah, that's what I thought the thread was going to be titled.... Still got decent discussion from this thread though.

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Not saying it should happen, but it would beat trying to get to the BL-52 or BL-55 from PBP or Co-op.....

Yeah, that's what I thought the thread was going to be titled.... Still got decent discussion from this thread though.

That Bx23 was proposed circa 2002 or 3. It was originally supposed to go from Mount Vernon to Fordham Plaza. Based on the signs, I'm guessing it would have mostly followed the Bx34 or 41.

I'm glad this thread got a decent discussion. I'm still thinking of inconsistent signs. Past and present 

Edited by Q43LTD

23 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

So they changed it again, because at one point, it used to say Washington Heights on the top line (no abbreviation) & 166th st on the bottom line of the destination signage...

Actually it still says the full “Washington Heights” bit, but yeah. Another chance like 168 to 166 was for the routes that end at 3rd Av-138th Street (the Bx1 and Bx2 used to say 136th but now they say 138th...)

3 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

How about routes that have a “via” destination sign for only one direction?

The SB Bx39’s signs say CLASON PT, whereas the NB Bx39 says WAKEFIELD - 241 ST | via WHITE PLAINS RD

The SB Bx7 says WASHINGTON HTS - 168 ST | via BROADWAY whereas the NB Bx7 says RIVERDALE - 263 ST

The Q84 says Laurelton 238 St via 120 Av. Then Jamaica Parsons-Archer

Last time I checked, the Q40 and 60 don't terminate in South Jamaica. Well, the 60 does, but the 40 ends in South Ozone Park. 

9 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I've been noticing a lot on routes like the Bx16, Bx9, Bx34 etc that the signs will get stuck in the wrong direction....

I'm not sure what you mean by being stuck in the wrong direction.... Not saying it doesn't happen, but how do you differentiate whatever it is you're talking about with that, from the b/o simply not changing the signage?

It sounds more like that problem is confined to individual buses (regardless of what route that bus is running on), not individual routes... As if to say the physical display on certain buses are all f**ked up or something... IDK...

27 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Last time I checked, the Q40 and 60 don't terminate in South Jamaica. Well, the 60 does, but the 40 ends in South Ozone Park. 

True, but I think that (low key) helps the Q40 by having the signage read South Jamaica :D

9 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

True, but I think that (low key) helps the Q40 by having the signage read South Jamaica :D

I guess it did the same for the Q9 and then 9A during the Green Line days. (Their timetables said South Jamaica)