Incorrect destination signs

Q43LTD

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The NFL used to be consistent with it.... Not so much anymore.... The NFL is exactly what I had in mind when I made that post.

Yeah, just yet another example of displaying the wrong neighborhood....

All things considered, whenever they do get around with revamping the bus networks for all 5 boroughs (putting aside the merit of some of these proposals, as hard as it is to do with how bad they are), I want to see how much of what we've been talking about in this thread with the destination signages actually gets addressed/rectified...

You mentioned earlier about updating destination sign codes - I would think that would be included with what we've been talking about, but if there's something that we non b/o's on here are missing out on (that you can be far more specific with), go 'head & put us up on game, fam....

(1) i meant NBA, because i know they used to be that descriptive as well. i thought the NFL out of any american sport was still doing that, but admittedly i haven't watched NFL in some years now (right about the time Kaepernick lost his job, actually)

(2) i actually hope they'd do their due diligence FINALLY, especially when it comes to the inconsistent lollipop signs, destination sign codes, pdf/paper timetables & paddles

(3) i honestly believe that it's utterly necessary for destination sign codes & paddle timepoints to be in sync. they just got the B46 AVENUE H short sign correct after that sign had been incorrect my entire life (30+ of saying B46 KINGS HWY? foh) the only place that has the neighborhood & intersection correct are on the paddles (if that, because the paddle timepoint abbreviations outdate the destination sign dispays & codes themselves, iinm) 

across the board, there are various degrees of negligence. if Apple, Google or whoever-da-f**k can be informative/descriptive, by way of technology, hell.. if the news can actually get neighborhoods correct in certain areas that are sub neighborhoods or overlapping with blurred borders, then transit can take their thumbs out of their asses, and put some effort into it, because the examples listed are downright tacky. you'd expect some of this half-hearted mediocrity from some second rate outfit or the PBL's in their heyday.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'll stay in Brooklyn then. The B16/37/63 say Bay Ridge/Shore Rd when it should be Ft Hamilton. Same for the B8 saying Bay Ridge 95 St Station. Maybe the B45 and 65 should say Weeksville. Another pair of routes that never got a via segment. B45 via St Johns and B65 via Dean st EB and via Bergen WB. 

Let me head over to the Bronx the Bx5, 11, 27 and 35 say W Farms Rd-Southern Bl. The schedules list that terminal as Hunts Point. Should be Longood. I always thought the Manhattan and Bronx routes got lazy with the 2 street destinations

Edited by Q43LTD

3 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Be careful about cluttering the destination signs. If the message is too long, then you'll miss the bus before you can finish reading it. 

with the way some of these destination signs cycle thru so quickly? 😂 i do get your point, but I've had a hard time reading some of the signs recently, because, wow... they're quicker than i expected, even with bold font. that's why i never snap at people on the bus who ask what's my last stop (I'm used to dull ass, don't-you-dare-try-to-read-me-at-night RTS signs) first sign that comes to mind that i find lightning fast: the sbs 53. i know where the bus terminates, but damn son, some people genuinely may not. even some of the express signs (out of Queens) are a bit rushed imo

23 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I guess I'll stay in Brooklyn then. The B16/37/63 say Bay Ridge/Shore Rd when it should be Ft Hamilton. Same for the B8 saying Bay Ridge 95 St Station. Maybe the B45 and 65 should say Weeksville. Another pair of routes that never got a via segment. B45 via St Johns and B65 via Dean st EB and via Bergen WB. 

Let me head over to the Bronx the Bx5, 11, 27 and 35 say W Farms Rd-Southern Bl. The schedules list that terminal as Hunts Point. Should be LONGWOOD. I always thought the Manhattan and Bronx routes got lazy with the 2 street destinations

yes to all of this, especially the 45/65 argument re: via streets. is St. John's & Ralph actually Weeksville? jeez, i know it's not Crown Heights, especially not according to any Panamanian i know from north of Lincoln place. 

the B38 is another one! Via DeKalb & Via Lafayette. I'm shocked that hasn't been mentioned yet.

the Longwood argument has been made by West Farms (former Kingsbridge) b/o's since the rock of ages was a pebble. that another one of those lazy, we-don't-have-enough-space-in-the-database-so-lets-squeeze-this-one-in codes going back to MaBSTOA's Port Authority bus purchasing days. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

10 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i agree slightly.

yes, the B17 should've BEEN had a 'via Remsen Avenue' sequence.

i don't like the Canarsie/Seaview for the east 80th branch because, well, let's be honest, there are some simple individuals that'll interpret that incorrectly.

B17 Canarsie ÷ Seaview Av - East 80 Street

B17 Via Remsen Av

B17 Via Rockaway Pky Station 

i have no problem with your interpretation of the 108 branch. i do have to ask, what's incorrect with the southbound B60 sign aside from no 'via' readout? (ANOTHER line they could've added 'via' streets for) 

personally, I'd construct it as:

B60 Canarsie ÷ Flatlands Av - Williams Av 

B60 Via Wilson Av ÷ Via Rockaway Av

Ok

B17: Canarsie || E.108 St -Seaview Ave|| via Remsen 

B17: Paerdegat Basin || Seaview  Ave-E.80th St|| via Remsen via Rockaway Parkway Sta 

As per :bus_bullet_b60:, I never felt that area was considered  Canarsie, but ok...

Definitely would add the via Wilson  and via Rockaway  to the mix...

The:bus_bullet_b45: /:bus_bullet_b65: destination signs should have some clarity as well...

Edited by SubBus

3 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

yes to all of this, especially the 45/65 argument re: via streets. is St. John's & Ralph actually Weeksville? jeez, i know it's not Crown Heights, especially not according to any Panamanian i know from north of Lincoln place. 

the B38 is another one! Via DeKalb & Via Lafayette. I'm shocked that hasn't been mentioned yet.

the Longwood argument has been made by West Farms (former Kingsbridge) b/o's since the rock of ages was a pebble. that another one of those lazy, we-don't-have-enough-space-in-the-database-so-lets-squeeze-this-one-in codes going back to MaBSTOA's Port Authority bus purchasing days. 

If not Weeksville, maybe Ocean Hill then for the 45 and 65? Looking at a map, it's a little too far north to be considered Brownsville. 

The roll signs from the PBL era wasn't very clear. I think it was the street it traveled on then the neighborhood. My favorite one was this:

Q113 Far Rockaway via Brewer. Ok, where in Far Rockaway do you end? The (A) station? LIRR? 

The former LIB's. Town, no street or railroad station. 

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

All things considered, whenever they do get around with revamping the bus networks for all 5 boroughs (putting aside the merit of some of these proposals, as hard as it is to do with how bad they are), I want to see how much of what we've been talking about in this thread with the destination signages actually gets addressed/rectified...

I believe I mentioned this but one of the things I liked about the SIM redesign is that they added a "via" to pretty much every sign (which is a side effect of straightening out the routes a bit, that it's easier to assign a corridor to a particular route), and most of them are pretty accurate (compared to the old X17J which said "via NJ / via Drumgoole" but didn't mention Richmond Avenue which is where the majority of its ridership came from and also the longest stretch of road it traveled on)

Other than the inbound SIM4X/8X and the SIM23 I don't really have any issues with the signage. The SIM4C (Huguenot) vs. the SIM8 (Arden Heights) is inconsistent but I'll give them a pass on that (the way I see it, both routes start in Huguenot and end in Arden Heights, with Woodrow Road being the dividing line between the two neighborhoods). The original plan for the January 2019 changes was to have the SIM4C start/end at the Huguenot SIR station so that might have something to do with it.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

6 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Weeksville in my youth was the stretch that included Dean, Pacific,  Atlantic, touching Bergen and Herkimer. The borders were basically Buffalo and Rochester.  The older folks told us to look for Hunterfly Road. It's actually a much larger area according to the historians.  Their boundaries encompasses the area from Fulton Street southward to Eastern Parkway and pretty much the area from Ralph Avenue westward to about Schenectady. When I worked for the Restoration Corporation I would have spirited arguments about the boundaries of the neighborhoods and sub-neighborhoods of the borough. It always boiled down to who taught you.  My memories . Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5
Context

7 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

If not Weeksville, maybe Ocean Hill then for the 45 and 65? Looking at a map, it's a little too far north to be considered Brownsville.

Fort Hamilton is said to be a subsection of Bay Ridge, so it's not entirely wrong... I don't really have a problem with the Bay Ridge portion of the signage for the SB B16/37/63, I think it should say Shore rd - 4th av, instead of just Shore rd..... The SB B8 signage I'd leave alone...

Ralph itself is the border between Weeksville & Ocean Hill.... The B45/65 don't cross Ralph av, so if it came down to those 2 choices, it would have to be Weeksville.... I would have the B65 have the "via Dean/via Bergen" bit, but I don't think the B45 should necessarily have the via St. Johns added to the signage....

6 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

with the way some of these destination signs cycle thru so quickly? 😂

Lol.... I'll do one better - The majority of the riding public don't read the signs anyway, so the discussion we're having (as far as they're concerned) is all for naught....

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I believe I mentioned this but one of the things I liked about the SIM redesign is that they added a "via" to pretty much every sign (which is a side effect of straightening out the routes a bit, that it's easier to assign a corridor to a particular route), and most of them are pretty accurate (compared to the old X17J which said "via NJ / via Drumgoole" but didn't mention Richmond Avenue which is where the majority of its ridership came from and also the longest stretch of road it traveled on)

Other than the inbound SIM4X/8X and the SIM23 I don't really have any issues with the signage. The SIM4C (Huguenot) vs. the SIM8 (Arden Heights) is inconsistent but I'll give them a pass on that (the way I see it, both routes start in Huguenot and end in Arden Heights, with Woodrow Road being the dividing line between the two neighborhoods). The original plan for the January 2019 changes was to have the SIM4C start/end at the Huguenot SIR station so that might have something to do with it.

Yeah, I remember you professing that about the SIM redesign....

Anyway, good - so let's hope the same suit be followed for the redesigned local routes, when it comes to the specificity and/or accuracy of the destination signs.

5 hours ago, SubBus said:

As per :bus_bullet_b60:, I never felt that area was considered Canarsie....

Neither have I - but at the same time, IDK what else it would be considered....

16 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

If the B60 and 103 don't end in Canarsie, what is that neighborhood called then? New Lots?

noooo, definitely not New Lots, lol.... The Breukelen houses are too far south to be part of New Lots.... That subsection of East New York doesn't pan south of Linden (hell, you'd be hard pressed to hear much of anyone even reference New Lots as a neighborhood).... Most that speak of New Lots, are solely referring to the (3) stop.....

I remember when the Q44 pre-SBS would display BRONX ZOO (on top) W. FARMS SQ (bottom) and after SBS, became just one big bold line: BRONX ZOO. Given how massive Bronx Zoo is, I think they should specify. I think I prefer it the way it was before. 

Also, I think it should display via Cross Bronx Expwy on a new scroll considering it uses that route for the entirety of its Bronx portion. 

Edited by danielhg121

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I remember when the Q44 pre-SBS would display BRONX ZOO (on top) W. FARMS SQ (bottom) and after SBS, became just one big bold line: BRONX ZOO. Also, I think it should display via Cross Bronx Expwy on a new scroll. 

I'd rather it read via Parkchester before having it read via Cross Bronx Expwy... I don't think anybody really cares that it uses the service road... lol....

12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Neither have I - but at the same time, IDK what else it would be considered....

noooo, definitely not New Lots, lol.... The Breukelen houses are too far south to be part of New Lots.... That subsection of East New York doesn't pan south of Linden (hell, you'd be hard pressed to hear much of anyone even reference New Lots as a neighborhood).... Most that speak of New Lots, are solely referring to the (3) stop.....

I think you could generally call it ENY. The same way for example Pitkin & Van Siclen can't really be considered part of Cypress Hills, Broadway Junction, Spring Creek, City Line, or Starrett City (which I would consider to be its own neighborhood), I think the area around the Breukelen Houses is in that same category.

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think you could generally call it ENY. The same way for example Pitkin & Van Siclen can't really be considered part of Cypress Hills, Broadway Junction, Spring Creek, City Line, or Starrett City (which I would consider to be its own neighborhood), I think the area around the Breukelen Houses is in that same category.

Any Brooklynite that knows anything that the eastern section of Brooklyn that's standing on the corner of Williams/Flatlands is not going to say they're in East New York.... This is where it gets into one of those "feel" type of situations.... While it doesn't really feel like Canarsie (to me), it feels more like Canarsie than it does East New York.....

8 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I guess I'll stay in Brooklyn then. The B16/37/63 say Bay Ridge/Shore Rd when it should be Ft Hamilton. Same for the B8 saying Bay Ridge 95 St Station.

Ehhhh... Fort Hamilton (as a separate neighborhood) is practically extinct [thank you Robert Moses]. It's pretty much all been gobbled up into Bay Ridge and among residents everyone calls it Bay Ridge except for some of the old heads.

The funny part is that the schedules have always used Fort Hamilton even thought the buses and bus stop signs have said Bay Ridge for as long as I can remember.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

I remember when the Q44 pre-SBS would display BRONX ZOO (on top) W. FARMS SQ (bottom) and after SBS, became just one big bold line: BRONX ZOO. Given how massive Bronx Zoo is, I think they should specify. I think I prefer it the way it was before. 

Also, I think it should display via Cross Bronx Expwy on a new scroll considering it uses that route for the entirety of its Bronx portion. 

It's a MUCH bigger problem on the "Bx9 Bronx Zoo" short turns. Most of those short turns end at the entrance at 183rd and Southern (which I think is a pretty odd spot to terminate), but its signage is extremely ambiguous, since it travels along the western end of the Bronx Zoo and runs two blocks south of Bronx Park South (the southern end).

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

...Fort Hamilton (as a separate neighborhood) is practically extinct [thank you Robert Moses]. It's pretty much all been gobbled up into Bay Ridge and among residents everyone calls it Bay Ridge except for some of the old heads.

That's exactly why I don't have a problem with the Bay Ridge signage on those routes.

At this point, it's like calling Arrochar, Fort Wadsworth, or Bay Terrace, Fort Totten (hell, at least the Q13/Q16 actually ends on Fort Totten)....

Edited by B35 via Church

29 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

It's a MUCH bigger problem on the "Bx9 Bronx Zoo" short turns. Most of those short turns end at the entrance at 183rd and Southern (which I think is a pretty odd spot to terminate), but its signage is extremely ambiguous, since it travels along the western end of the Bronx Zoo and runs two blocks south of Bronx Park South (the southern end).

Honestly if I saw the Bx9 short-turn I would think it ends near where the Q44 ends. My instincts when thinking of the Bronx Zoo are the areas near the subway entrances.

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Wow I didn't even know they had "Bx9 Bronx Zoo" short turn signage, seen the Fordham Plz ones though. That's way worse than the Q44 ones especially since its traveling along the perimeter and terminating at the 2/5 stop.  

If they do extend the Q44 to Fordham, it'll prob be FORDHAM PLZ like the Bx15. 

I'd rather it read via Parkchester before having it read via Cross Bronx Expwy... I don't think anybody really cares that it uses the service road... lol....

I don't know, whenever I think about Parkchester, I think of the projects where the Bx22 runs through (Unionport Rd & Metropolitan Oval). But yea everyone does refer to Hugh Grant Circle as Parkchester also, B/O's announce it as it's a timing point. 

Edited by danielhg121

Fort Hamilton is said to be a subsection of Bay Ridge, so it's not entirely wrong... I don't really have a problem with the Bay Ridge portion of the signage for the SB B16/37/63, I think it should say Shore rd - 4th av, instead of just Shore rd..... The SB B8 signage I'd leave alone...

Ralph itself is the border between Weeksville & Ocean Hill.... The B45/65 don't cross Ralph av, so if it came down to those 2 choices, it would have to be Weeksville.... I would have the B65 have the "via Dean/via Bergen" bit, but I don't think the B45 should necessarily have the via St. Johns added to the signage....

Lol.... I'll do one better - The majority of the riding public don't read the signs anyway, so the discussion we're having (as far as they're concerned) is all for naught....

Ok, we'll leave the B60 and 103 to continue saying Canarsie lol

Nope, the public doesn't read the signs. Then they wanna ask the driver why did he go straight or turn? 

11 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Honestly if I saw the Bx9 short-turn I would think it ends near where the Q44 ends. My instincts when thinking of the Bronx Zoo are the areas near the subway entrances.

Me personally, I would get rid of it since the Bronx Zoo is so close to West Farms Square. Anyway, some ideas for Manhattan:

M5 Midtown 31 St 

M7 Chelsea 14 St via Columbus via 7 Av

M55 Midtown 44 St via 6 Av 

M57 Sutton Pl York Av (since Sutton Place is a neighborhood now, I originally planned it as Turtle Bay)

M42 Tudor City 1 Av (Tudor City Apartments)

M104 Port Authority Bus Terminal via Bway (since it ends where the former M27 ended)

M34 Kips Bay Ferry

M23 Peter Cooper Village

M96 Yorkville 1 Av

That's all for now 

8 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I don't know, whenever I think about Parkchester, I think of the projects where the Bx22 runs through (Unionport Rd & Metropolitan Oval). But yea everyone does refer to Hugh Grant Circle as Parkchester also, B/O's announce it as it's a timing point. 

I think of either/or (the complexes surrounding Met Oval or Hugh Grant Circle/Parkchester (6)) whenever someone references Parkchester....

8 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Nope, the public doesn't read the signs. Then they wanna ask the driver why did he go straight or turn?

This very thing happens quite a bit on the Queens bound Q32... Wanna argue the b/o on some "this bus doesn't go up Madison???!??" :lol:

11 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Anyway, some ideas for Manhattan:

M5 Midtown 31 St
The SB M5 I would actually have it say Midtown - Herald Sq (or even just Herald Sq.)..... Seeing the buses say "31st 6th av" is lazy as shit! So much empty space on the physical signage....

M7 Chelsea 14 St via Columbus via 7 Av
I would still keep it reading 14th st - 6th av; just not in big letters like the current SB M7 does... So yeah, have it read something like Chelsea (top line), 14th st- 6th av (bottom line)...

M55 Midtown 44 St via 6 Av
They may as well just put Bryant Park on the NB M55.

M57 Sutton Pl York Av (since Sutton Place is a neighborhood now, I originally planned it as Turtle Bay)
Although I don't remember what EB buses say right this second, I can agree to this....

M42 Tudor City 1 Av (Tudor City Apartments)
I would leave the EB M42 signage alone

M104 Port Authority Bus Terminal via Bway (since it ends where the former M27 ended)
Agreed... The person that thought just having 41 ST in big ass letters should be shot (figuratively speaking, of course)....

M34 Kips Bay Ferry
I would have the EB M34 SBS revert back to what it used to say, with the exception of adding "Ferry" next to where it said FDR Drive.... So the whole scheme would go Crosstown || +Select Bus || East side (top line), FDR Drive/Ferry (bottom line)

M23 Peter Cooper Village
You, my friend, now have the Power of Greyskull.... Thank You!

M96 Yorkville 1 Av
I suppose it can still say East Side in another frame, but yeah, I would also have it say Yorkville - 1st av/97th st

For the sake of discussion, I'll just hold off on what I think of the current M5/M55 being what they are, routing-wise.... With that said, my comments are bolded & colorized within your quote, above.

** Just to add, I really would like to see more symbols on the signages - Like the airplane symbol on the Q48 Laguardia airport bound buses, for example.... Have something resembling a cross (or plus sign... however you wanna look at it) for routes that end at a hospital... Handcuffs for the baby mama express to Rikers :lol::lol:...

Little things like that.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Any Brooklynite that knows anything that the eastern section of Brooklyn that's standing on the corner of Williams/Flatlands is not going to say they're in East New York.... This is where it gets into one of those "feel" type of situations.... While it doesn't really feel like Canarsie (to me), it feels more like Canarsie than it does East New York.....

Look to the west of the B60 terminal, specifically on Flatlands Avenue, and you will see the USPS building. Canarsie Station. Looking in the eastern direction on Flatlands brings you to no man’s land. When I was a kid everything on both sides of Flatlands/Williams heading to Pennsylvania Avenue was East New York with auto junkyards and nothing else. When Starrett opened it’s post office was on Atlantic and Pennsylvania, East New York Station. They separated the development from East New York Station and it became Canarsie PO territory and finally Spring Creek substation with it’s own Zip code. I’d be rather remiss not pointing out that Spring Creek doesn’t have anything to do with the housing development. Spring Creek waterway is back by Fountain Avenue and the Belt Parkway. Those post office names were rather arbitrary it would seem but they were the only names given back then. Personally I’m with you on Williams/Flatlands . My memories. Carry on.

Here are my ideas for some of the Manhattan routes:

M1 SoHo Grand St via 5 Av Via Broadway

for the eventual terminus once street work is complete:

M1 TriBeCa Worth St via 5 Av via Broadway

M4 East Midtown 32 St via Broadway via 5 Av (I briefly considered Koreatown 32 St but decided against it)

M5 Herald Sq 31 St via Riverside Dr via 5 Av (the M55 short turn code would also display this)

M7 Chelsea 14 St 6 Av via Amsterdam via 7 Av

M42 United Nations 1 Av Crosstown

M42 Tudor City 2 Av Crosstown

M55 Bryant Park 44 St via 6 Av

M55 South Ferry via 5 Av via Broadway

M104 Times Sq 41 St via Broadway via 7 Av

M116 Spanish Harlem Paladino Av Crosstown

48 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Here are my ideas for some of the Manhattan routes:

for the eventual terminus once street work is complete:

M1 TriBeCa Worth St via 5 Av via Broadway

M42 Tudor City 2 Av Crosstown

M116 Spanish Harlem Paladino Av Crosstown

M1: IDK what that area around Foley Sq. is considered, but Centre/Worth is not TriBeCa.... That would be pretty egregious if they did that.

M42: Why would the EB M42 signage say 2nd av, instead of 1 av?

M116: Would never see the light of day..... MTA would duck that like the plague.