Incorrect destination signs

Q43LTD

10 minutes ago, NBTA said:

I got a few for the Bronx.

Bx1: Kingsbridge-231st Street, Mott Haven-136th Street

Bx3: Kingsbridge-238th Street || Via Sedgwick-University Avenues (Layout like the Bx12 local today)

Bx9: West Farms Square Sta, Bronx Zoo-183rd Street

Bx7/Bx10: Coll of Mount St. Vincent || Bx7: Via Broadway/Riverdale Avenue || Bx10: Via HHP

Bx13: I guess you can say Bronx Terminal Market-149th Street || Via Ogden Ave

Bx21: Via Boston Road/Morris Park Avenue

Bx22: Via Kingsbridge Road (For Bedford Park Buses, to ease confusion).

Bx29: City Island or Bay Plaza via Pelham Bay

Bx30: Via Boston Road/Gun Hill Road

Bx31: Via Eastchester Road

Bx32: Via Jerome/Morris Avenues

Bx36: (When the redesign happens) Via Tremont Avenue || Castle Hill-Seward Avenue

Bx39: Via White Plains Road

Bx42: Ferry Point Park-Emerson Avenue

Bx46: Prospect Avenue Station

A couple of them probably can change, just can't think of them.

Some of the those reads are currently used. I used to live on the Bx36 when the 22xx RTS buses ran there. The first lollipop sign read “Bx36 174 & 180th”,  second read “to 181 St -BWAY in CAPS. In 1984, they changed it so that the “Bx36” freezes 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

You are right about the phasing out version. They eliminated the borough names themselves and just reads X28- Bensonhurst/ Cropsey Ave on the newer fleets, just like some of the SIM buses reads by neighborhood name then street name or Simply X1 Eltingville TC. (Just to procrastinate) 

Well SIM automatically means Staten Island-Manhattan. As for Eltingville Transit Center, I remember when they used to say "Eltingville / Ar Kill Rd" or "Eltingville / Richmond Av" but I guess they figured Transit Center would be more precise.

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Some of the those reads are currently used. I used to live on the Bx36 when the 22xx RTS buses ran there. The first lollipop sign read “Bx36 174 & 180th”,  second read “to 181 St -BWAY in CAPS. In 1984, they changed it so that the “Bx36” freezes 

Some are used, but aren't used in an opposite direction, like the Bx39.

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Alright, but at the same time, New York av. north of the precinct (Empire) doesn't allow for 2 lanes of flowing traffic & on top of it, ends at Fulton.... That is a deterrent to a lot of drivers around here & FWIW, is a reason that NY av. doesn't see near as much NB traffic that Rogers or Bedford does..... You're not going to get too much of that traffic that currently plagues Rogers onto New York av... Much of nobody currently taking Bedford is going to swing over to NY av either; you would just be exacerbating Rogers av. traffic at that point....

The real issue is that people in Flatbush (the neighborhood) take Rogers to bypass Flatbush av... The whole thing is a nasty domino effect.

I'll let you have this one only because it would be off topic to continue ;)

4 hours ago, TeeLow said:

17 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Don't do me any favors.

Take it from someone who was a teenager when Nostrand and Rogers became one way. I lived in what's now known as Prospect-Lefferts but back then it was just Flatbush. One of the main arguments relating to N/B B44 service was the section north of Empire Blvd. The counter argument was if n/b service ran up Rogers instead of New York it would adversely affect those riders coming from the south who were heading to Kings County/Downstate. Ultimately that argument won out and the B49 wasn't cut off at Flatbush. The adults that lived in my neighborhood did not want any bus service on Bedford Avenue. We already had bus service on Flatbush Avenue, Rogers Avenue, and Nostrand Avenue. Two way traffic. We ended up with a five block grid from west to east that the local residents didn't want. My memories. Carry on

4 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Take it from someone who was a teenager when Nostrand and Rogers became one way. I lived in what's now known as Prospect-Lefferts but back then it was just Flatbush. One of the main arguments relating to N/B B44 service was the section north of Empire Blvd. The counter argument was if n/b service ran up Rogers instead of New York it would adversely affect those riders coming from the south who were heading to Kings County/Downstate. Ultimately that argument won out and the B49 wasn't cut off at Flatbush. The adults that lived in my neighborhood did not want any bus service on Bedford Avenue. We already had bus service on Flatbush Avenue, Rogers Avenue, and Nostrand Avenue. Two way traffic. We ended up with a five block grid from west to east that the local residents didn't want. My memories. Carry on

Funny thing is on a draft I made on a possible Brooklyn bus redesign is I have the B49 absorbing the B44 lcl north of Flatbush (no service on Bedford and NY avs). 

I also have a proposal for the B36 absorbing the B44 lcl south of Flatbush but that's a different discussion for the proposal thread.

To stay on topic with the thread, what ever happened to the B1 "via 86 St" signage?

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

In terms of bus service, folks over there in the Vanderveer (or Flatbush Gardens as it's called now) are gonna be screwed if they end up moving all B44 service along Rogers.... Thank f*** I don't live on that side of the graveyard (B35 vs the B8).

10 hours ago, NBTA said:

Bx7/Bx10: Coll of Mount St. Vincent.... || Bx10: Via HHP

Bx13: I guess you can say Bronx Terminal Market-149th Street || Via Ogden Ave

Bx29: City Island or Bay Plaza via Pelham Bay

Bx46: Prospect Avenue Station

Bx7/10:  That may be of significance for the BL-8, but I don't see it as necessary for the Bx7/10.... The Bx10 is too meandrous to have a "via" anything....

Bx13: The mall needs a better/standout name for it.... But regardless, yeah, I'm not too wild about the River av - 149th st bit either....

Bx29: Probably won't make much difference, but I'd have SB buses read City Island (top line) Rochelle st {with a pair of crab pincers next to it} (bottom line)

Bx46: You would think having the thing read Prospect av. station upon its inauguration would be common sense....

Edited by B35 via Church

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Alright, but at the same time, New York av. north of the precinct (Empire) doesn't allow for 2 lanes of flowing traffic & on top of it, ends at Fulton.... That is a deterrent to a lot of drivers around here & FWIW, is a reason that NY av. doesn't see near as much NB traffic that Rogers or Bedford does..... You're not going to get too much of that traffic that currently plagues Rogers onto New York av... Much of nobody currently taking Bedford is going to swing over to NY av either; you would just be exacerbating Rogers av. traffic at that point....

The real issue is that people in Flatbush (the neighborhood) take Rogers to bypass Flatbush av... The whole thing is a nasty domino effect.

True that: NY Ave is single lane n/o Empire but so is Rogers until 4PM weekdays. It's also true that Rogers would absorb the majority of n/b movement from Bedford initially. Since we don't have facts and figures to go by we're using observation to judge. Plenty of commuters are heading to the bridges from the east and south bypassing NY Ave (Ave H and above) for Flatbush and Rogers. Rogers tends to constipate around Tilden. With the n/b flow from Bedford shifted one block east some coming from the east and south of Rogers might give a one-way NY Ave a try continuing your domino effect as traffic tries to find a median level.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Don't do me any favors.

No worries. You're much too savvy to be condescending towards.

3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Kinda reminds me when our family moved from Willoughby & St. James in Clinton Hill to Throop & Jefferson ln Bed-Stuy back in the 60s. Throop was 2-way then along with Tompkins and Sumner (Marcus Garvey). One day our teacher told us about the new bus stop that would be in front of our school (Madison & Throop, B47). The whole grid in that area was getting a makeover; B10 Sumner/Lewis, B38 DeKalb/Lafayette, B47 Throop/Tompkins, 48 Franklin/Classon, B52 Gates/Quincy.

Edited by TeeLow

Here's some more ideas for Manhattan:

M1 Foley Sq via 5 av via Bway (When it finally gets extended)

M4 Midtown 32 St via Bway via 5 Av (I was thinking about Murray Hill)

M4 Hudson Hts Cabrini Bl via Madison via Bway (Same for LTD, might change it back to Ft George)

M4 Ft Tryon Park Cloisters via Madison via Bway (Same for LTD)

M5 Midtown 31 St via Riverside via 5 Av (Same for LTD) 

M5 Washington Hts GW Bridge via 6 Av via Riverside (Same for LTD)

M7 Chelsea 14 St via Columbus via 7 Av

M8 East Village Avenue D

M8 West Village West St

M9 Kips Bay Bellevue Hospital

M10 Columbus Circle via 8 Av

M11 Abingdon Sq via 9 Av

M12 Columbus Circle via 12 Av

M12 Abingdon Sq via 11 Av

M14A +Select Bus Abingdon Sq

M21 Hudson Sq via Houston

M23 +Select Bus Peter Cooper Village

M34 +Select Bus Kips Bay Ferry

M35 East Harlem Lexington-125

M42 United Nations

M42 Circle Line Pier

M50 Turtle Bay 1 Av

M50 Circle Line Pier

M55 Midtown 44 St via 6 Av 

M57 Sutton Pl York Av (Current sign says East Side York Av-60 St, might put it back to Turtle Bay)

M57 Verdi Sq 

M60 +Select Bus Morningside Hts via 125 St (I originally had it as Manhattan Valley)

M66 Lenox Hill York Av

M66 Lincoln Towers West End Av (Goes further west of Lincoln Ctr)

M72 Lenox Hill York Av

M72 Lincoln Towers Freedom Pl

M79 +Select Bus Yorkville East End Av

M79 +Select Bus Riverside Park

M86 +Select Bus Upper West Side West End Av (I just gave up the ghost with this one)

M96 Yorkville 1 Av or maybe Metropolitan Hospital

M96 Park West Village or Manhattan Valley West End Av

M98 LTD Hunter Coll 68 St Sta via Lexington

M98 LTD see M4

M101 Ft George 193 St via 3 Av via Amsterdam (Same for LTD)

M101 East Village 6 St via Amsterdam via Lexington (Maybe change it to Cooper Sq) (Same for LTD)

M102 Harlem 147 St via 3 Av via Lenox

M104 Port Authority Bus Terminal via Bway

M104 Manhattanville 129 St via Bway

M106 East Harlem FDR Dr

M116 Morningside Hts Bway-106

5 minutes ago, TeeLow said:

True that: NY Ave is single lane n/o Empire but so is Rogers until 4PM weekdays. It's also true that Rogers would absorb the majority of n/b movement from Bedford initially. Since we don't have facts and figures to go by we're using observation to judge. Plenty of commuters are heading to the bridges from the east and south bypassing NY Ave (Ave H and above) for Flatbush and Rogers. Rogers tends to constipate around Tilden. With the n/b flow from Bedford shifted one block east some coming from the east and south of Rogers might give a one-way NY Ave a try continuing your domino effect as traffic tries to find a median level.

Oh, I'm not defending Rogers at all... It's clearly been turned into a shitshow, ever since people started utilizing it more to bypass putting up with Flatbush av..... It's not that I don't get what you're saying, I just don't see turning New York av. 1-way NB throughout, being the remedy that you do.... That isn't to say literally nobody would consider NY av, but I don't see near enough people being willing to consider it, for reasons I mentioned in an earlier post...

14 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

M57 Verdi Sq 

M60 +Select Bus Morningside Hts via 125 St (I originally had it as Manhattan Valley)

M86 +Select Bus Upper West Side West End Av (I just gave up the ghost with this one)

M96 Park West Village or Manhattan Valley West End Av

M116 Morningside Hts Bway-106

AFAIK, everybody in zip codes 10023, 10024, 10025, and 10069 (i.e. between Central Park and the Hudson River) calls their area "Upper West Side."

Imma do SOME of Queens:

Q1: They can split it between Via Braddock Avenue and via Springfield Boulevard.

Q2: Via Hollis?

Q3: 179th Street station isn't needed, but via Farmers northbound would look good.

Q10: You can change the Limited to Via Lefferts Airtrain, but probably not.

Q11: It's not Beach 104th Street..

Q13: Via Northern.

Q17: Via 188th/HHE, to 165th Terminal.

Q20: College Point Boulevard-15th Avenue

Q22: Rockaway Park-116th Street

Q27: Via 46-48th Avenues, Via Springfield Boulevard

Q29: Via Dry Harbor Road

Q30: Via Utopia-HHE

Q31: Via Utopia

Q32: Northern Boulevard-81st Street

Q33: LGA Airport-Ditmars Boulevard

Q36: Floral Park Station (It's a 6-10 minute walk).

Q42: Jamaica-Sayres Avenue-180th Street

Q43: Bellrose Manor.

Yall can do the rest, it was a journey lmao

5 hours ago, NBTA said:

Q22: Rockaway Park-116th Street

Q27: Via 46-48th Avenues, Via Springfield Boulevard

Q22: wondered why they didn't do this... instead of adding that 'via FERRY' bs which no one rides the short sign 22 for (damn near everyone's heading to the Q35)

Q27: I'm absolutely in agreement. someone i know suggested adding a reference to Queensboro CC, but i honestly think that would be clutter. nonetheless... 

Q13: can't argue with the Via Northern Bl bit. i'd personally add Via Bell Bl also

Q21/41: I'd personally vote to eliminate 'via LINDENWOOD' on both northbound/eastbound service and retail the sign for southbound/westbound only. hell I'd eliminate most of the 'via' thing on the 41's period (probably a mute point, seeing as both lined will be eliminated in the redesign... hell, most lines might be eliminated or redesigned... screw it, I'm actually enjoying this)

Q24: instead of the powers that be attempting to be cute, let's settle this shit once & for all:

Q24 Jamaica ÷ Merrick Bl - Archer Av

Q24 via ATLANTIC

westbound:

Q24 Bushwick ÷ Lafayette Av - Patchen

Q24 via Atlantic ÷ via Broadway

the following suggestions i will submit I'm being a tad anal about:

Q25, Q30, Q31, Q34, Q43 & Q65: can there be common signage for ALL lines to either acknowledge AirTrain or not?

Q6, Q8, Q9, Q41 & Q60: can there be common signage for ALL lines to acknowledge their short turn at Jamaica LIRR instead of ARCHER AV (Q6) or Jamaica ÷ Archer Av (Q9/41/60)

Q54: via METRO Av (or Metropolitan Av, signage permitting) i acknowledge the 54 does swing by atlas park mall, yet regardless of that, i think some 'via' signage could work. 

southbound M103:

M103 City Hall

M103 via Lex Av ÷ via Bowery

B6: I'd flip the coney short sign to Coney Island Av ÷ Avenue J 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

Another page of Queens:

Q46: Union Turnpike Station would be nice.

Q52: Rockaway Community Park-QCM?

Q54: Via Metropolitan Avenue-Atlas Park.

Q58: Via Grand/Corona.

Q59: 63rd Drive Station/QCM.

Q64: Pomonok-164th Street.

Anything that terminates at Jamaica-LIRR: Jamaica LIRR-JFK Airport

Anything that terminates around Queensborough Plaza/Queens Plaza Station: Queens/Borough Plaza Stations (7)(E)(F)(M)(N)(R)(W).

Q72: 63rd Drive Station.

Q76: 20th Plaza Mall.

Q77: Springfield Gardens-Conduit Avenue.

Anything that terminates at Parsons Boulevard (F) Station: Parsons Blvd (F) Station.

Anything that terminates at Jamaica Center: Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z) Station.

Q88: Via 73rd, HHE (Both directions), to Queens Village LIRR Station.

Q100: Via 21st Street/20th Avenue.

Q103: Jackson Avenue (7)-LIC LIRR Stations.

Q111: Rosedale-Hook Creek Boulevard.

Q113/Q114: Via Mott Avenue (A) Station.

Q17 Flushing Main Station/ via Kissena Blvd - via 188 street

Q17 Jamaica Merrick Bl / via H Harding - via 188th street

They need to restore the old signs for the old Q30/Q31 because over the last decade they really just simplified the hell out of their destination signs. They both just say “Jamaica LIRR”. I think years ago they used to say “Jamaica” then the display would flash and show Sutphin Bl - LIRR STA and I believe it would also say via Utopia. 

I would restore all the old Q44 destinations

The Q77 apparently just says “Springfield Gdns”. So lazy on the MTA’s part. 

19 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

AFAIK, everybody in zip codes 10023, 10024, 10025, and 10069 (i.e. between Central Park and the Hudson River) calls their area "Upper West Side."

So in your case, all the WB signs along side Central Park should say Upper West Side?

Edited by Q43LTD

On 9/2/2020 at 9:10 PM, Q43LTD said:

M8 East Village Avenue D - Sucks that it would bring a negative attention/stigma to the route, but too bad a facet of the signage couldn't read something along the lines of  E. 10th - NYCHA Riis/loop

M8 West Village West St - I'd have it read West Village Christopher/West

M9 Kips Bay Bellevue Hospital - I'd leave the current reading alone & simply add BELLEVUE Hosp. in another frame

M10 Columbus Circle via 8 Av - Agreed

M11 Abingdon Sq via 9 Av - I'd leave it alone

M12 Columbus Circle via 12 Av - This is probably going out on a limb, but I'd have the first frame reading Columbus Circle (top line) via Hudson Yards (bottom line) & the second frame reading FAR WEST SIDE

M12 Abingdon Sq via 11 Av - See above... Just replace Columbus Circle with Abingdon Sq.

M21 Hudson Sq via Houston - I'd add Spring st. to the signage somehow

M35 East Harlem Lexington-125 - FWIW, I'd leave it alone (compared to Randall's Island, "Harlem" is like another region... lol)

M42 (and M50) Circle Line Pier - I'd just drop the 12av part of the current signage... Wouldn't bother with having it say Circle Line.

M57 Verdi Sq - Sounds like a candy bar... or someone's French clothing line

M60 +Select Bus Morningside Hts via 125 St (I originally had it as Manhattan Valley) - I'd just have another frame reading "via 125 st".... The rest of the scheme I'd leave alone.

M66 (and M72) Lenox Hill York Av - I would add "/Hospitals" somewhere in the frame/signage

M66 Lincoln Towers West End Av (Goes further west of Lincoln Ctr) - It should probably read Lincoln Sq instead of Lincoln Ctr... Come to think of it, Lincoln Sq (top line) Lincoln Twrs - W. End (bottom line) does have a nice ring to it...

M72 Lincoln Towers Freedom Pl - I would actually have it read something along the lines of Lincoln Sq (top line) Rvrside pk/Freedom (bottom line).... Use the M72 to promote those high rises along Riverside blvd. somehow.....

M104 Port Authority Bus Terminal via Bway - Agreed.

M106 East Harlem FDR Dr - Doesn't it currently/basically read that?

M116 Morningside Hts Bway-106 - I'd leave it alone

Reply, in bold

I would say the Q60 signage is technically incorrect. I consider the Upper East Side being everything north of 59th Street, so the "EAST MIDTOWN" portion is off. However, I don't believe that this was a case of the agencies just being unsure of neighborhood boundaries. However, if you're going to garner riders on a bus route headed into Manhattan just across the bridge, "EAST MIDTOWN" signs more attractive for potential riders than "UPPER EAST SIDE". The boundaries is not too far from the Q60 terminal, but when the average person thinks of Midtown and UES, the locations are very distinct. However, more people would be going towards Midtown. 

As was already mentioned in this thread, and as mentioned by me a few times in other threads, the Bx36 terminal display as "Soundview" is clearly off, it's most definently in Castle Hill. 

On 9/3/2020 at 1:55 PM, NBTA said:

Q11: It's not Beach 104th Street..

The Q11 buses don't display Beach 104th Street. It reads "HAMILTON BEACH/104 ST", with Hamilton Beach being the neighborhood it runs to. 

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I would say the Q60 signage is technically incorrect. I consider the Upper East Side being everything north of 59th Street, so the "EAST MIDTOWN" portion is off. However, I don't believe that this was a case of the agencies just being unsure of neighborhood boundaries. However, if you're going to garner riders on a bus route headed into Manhattan just across the bridge, "EAST MIDTOWN" signs more attractive for potential riders than "UPPER EAST SIDE". The boundaries is not too far from the Q60 terminal, but when the average person thinks of Midtown and UES, the locations are very distinct. However, more people would be going towards Midtown.

As with any of these things (since very few of them have hard boundaries), it depends who you ask... The general consensus I'd say would concur with what you're saying here, but I have heard East Midtown panning as far north as the armory (66th).... I have also heard 63rd..... You also have people that will say that the UES doesn't pan south of 72nd... Nobody really makes a reference too much to Lenox Hill (which is the buffer b/w E. Midtown & the "heart" of the UES (as in, 72nd, on up to E. Harlem)....

On 9/3/2020 at 7:35 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Q22: wondered why they didn't do this... instead of adding that 'via FERRY' bs which no one rides the short sign 22 for (damn near everyone's heading to the Q35)

Q27: I'm absolutely in agreement. someone i know suggested adding a reference to Queensboro CC, but i honestly think that would be clutter. nonetheless... 

Q13: can't argue with the Via Northern Bl bit. i'd personally add Via Bell Bl also

Q21/41: I'd personally vote to eliminate 'via LINDENWOOD' on both northbound/eastbound service and retail the sign for southbound/westbound only. hell I'd eliminate most of the 'via' thing on the 41's period (probably a mute point, seeing as both lined will be eliminated in the redesign... hell, most lines might be eliminated or redesigned... screw it, I'm actually enjoying this)

the following suggestions i will submit I'm being a tad anal about:

Q25, Q30, Q31, Q34, Q43 & Q65: can there be common signage for ALL lines to either acknowledge AirTrain or not?

Q6, Q8, Q9, Q41 & Q60: can there be common signage for ALL lines to acknowledge their short turn at Jamaica LIRR instead of ARCHER AV (Q6) or Jamaica ÷ Archer Av (Q9/41/60)

Q54: via METRO Av (or Metropolitan Av, signage permitting) i acknowledge the 54 does swing by atlas park mall, yet regardless of that, i think some 'via' signage could work.

Q13: I wouldn't have the Q12 & the Q13 reading via Northern... May sound petty, but it cheapens the via Northern reading for the Q12....

Q22: Agreed... The signage is clearly mere advertising for the ferry.

Q27: I wouldn't bother with that [via 46-48th avs] bit, nor do I believe having it display somewhere in the scheme that it serves QCC would amount to clutter.... On the flipside of the concept of clutter for a second, everytime I see this shit LEP3tZ9.gif, I have a tendency to smirk, because there's so much white space (well, black space) on the thing.....

Q21/Q41: I don't see why they'd only display the via Lindenwood in one direction over the other, when they serve Lindenwood in both directions..... I'd lean towards removing the via Lindenwood bit (regardless of direction traveled)...

Q54: Nothing anal whatsoever about expecting a route (that travels the amt. of mileage from end to end that it does) that spends at least 2/3-rds of the route on one street, to at least have a "via" of that street on the signage..... I see no reason that the thing shouldn't display via Metropolitan (or whatever spin you wanna put on it).... One thing I would not add to it though, is anything showing that it deviates to serve that POS mall.....

Q25, Q30, Q31, Q34, Q43 & Q65: I'll tag along in your nitpickiness when it comes to this... I wouldn't be bothered with having any of them display AIRTrain on the signage.

Edited by B35 via Church

@B35 via Church My guess with the Q25/34/65 noting the AirTrain station is because they terminate on the south side of the LIRR tracks (and bring you slightly closer to the AirTrain), whereas the other routes terminate on the north side of the LIRR tracks. But I agree, it's all basically the same area.

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church My guess with the Q25/34/65 noting the AirTrain station is because they terminate on the south side of the LIRR tracks (and bring you slightly closer to the AirTrain), whereas the other routes terminate on the north side of the LIRR tracks. But I agree, it's all basically the same area.

Something else they got in common is that they're MTABus routes :D

========================

Speaking of Jamaica area routes, something that just dawned on me is that the spelling of Bellerose on the Braddock branch of the Q1 is wrong (and it's not an abbreviation).... They have it saying Bellrose 243rd st...