Incorrect destination signs

Q43LTD

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

Speaking of the Q1, I always wondered why it never said via Hillside or have a short turn at Springfield where the branches split. I guess I'm being nitpicky. 

The Q1 is basically a short-turn Q43 with a bit of extra coverage past the short-turn point. So you're basically asking for a short-turn of a short-turn lol

In any case, the short-turn point would be too close to the main terminal to be worth the confusion. Not to mention the branches of the Q1 are infrequent as-is so they can't afford to lose frequency by not having all the buses go there. (Plus one of those branches is right by the depot, so the cost savings would be nil...probably ends of costing revenue if the passengers get fed up and use an alternative mode of transportation due to the infrequency of that branch)

But I do agree 100% with the "via Hillside" portion.

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Q21/Q41: I don't see why they'd only display the via Lindenwood in one direction over the other, when they serve Lindenwood in both directions..... I'd lean towards removing the via Lindenwood bit (regardless of direction traveled)...

The logic I can see is because people going to Lindenwood are significantly more likely to be coming from points north vs. points south. 

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The logic I can see is because people going to Lindenwood are significantly more likely to be coming from points north vs. points south. 

Not displaying Lindenwood on the NB buses gives off the impression that the bus doesn't serve Lindenwood in that direction.... That's not something I would bother taking a chance with.... AFAIC, they should've never added that via Lindenwood bit in the first place....

4 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Speaking of the Q1, I always wondered why it never said via Hillside or have a short turn at Springfield where the branches split. I guess I'm being nitpicky. 

Wait, so are you saying that there should be Q1's running between 165th & Springfield/Hillside? If it's anything that should be short turning over there, it should be the Q43.... Personally, I would do away with the damn thing (Q1) and run Q43's down Braddock as a short turn of it (the Q43)....

Edited by B35 via Church

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Wait, so are you saying that there should be Q1's running between 165th & Springfield/Hillside? If it's anything that should be short turning over there, it should be the Q43.... Personally, I would do away with the damn thing (Q1) and run Q43's down Braddock as a short turn of it (the Q43)....

Well in the redesign, Braddock won't have any bus service. 

There should be no Q1's short turning at Springfield, I was just asking why there was no code for it. Like one of those rarely used codes like the Q5 to Baisley or the 83 to Francis Lewis. That's all. 

12 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

There should be no Q1's short turning at Springfield, I was just asking why there was no code for it. Like one of those rarely used codes like the Q5 to Baisley or the 83 to Francis Lewis. That's all. 

....then why would there be a code for it? I don't really get what you're saying.

Are you trying to say the Q1 does (or used to) short turn at Springfield/Hillside & there's no code for it? Otherwise, none of this is making sense.

6 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Well in the redesign, Braddock won't have any bus service. 

Well, in the first draft of the redesign. That move is one of those that has gotten a lot of heat, and I see them changing that when it comes time to release the final draft (I would just have the QT18 run down Braddock). In addition to providing coverage in that area, it also gives another connection from Jamaica Avenue to the (F)

On 9/6/2020 at 2:33 AM, B35 via Church said:

Q54: Nothing anal whatsoever about expecting a route (that travels the amt. of mileage from end to end that it does) that spends at least 2/3-rds of the route on one street, to at least have a "via" of that street on the signage..... I see no reason that the thing shouldn't display via Metropolitan (or whatever spin you wanna put on it).... One thing I would not add to it though, is anything showing that it deviates to serve that POS mall.....

Agreed 100% about that damn Atlas Park reroute they did back in '08-'09.  There was no passenger demand for that mall to begin with- it then turned up in the local press that a higher-level exec at the MTA (Dale Hemmerdinger) was close family/friends with one of the real estate cats who owned the place, so that's pretty much where the push was coming from.

21 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Agreed 100% about that damn Atlas Park reroute they did back in '08-'09.  There was no passenger demand for that mall to begin with- it then turned up in the local press that a higher-level exec at the MTA (Dale Hemmerdinger) was close family/friends with one of the real estate cats who owned the place, so that's pretty much where the push was coming from.

Right... One of the worst locations to have wanted to build a mall at to begin with & on top of it, had the Q54 deviated along Cooper (which made the route that much slower overall) to serve it....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Q54 started serving Atlas in 2007. Later it was the now defunct Q45 in 2008. They were really reaching for customers...

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Right... One of the worst locations to have wanted to build a mall at to begin with & on top of it, had the Q54 deviated along Cooper (which made the route that much slower overall) to serve it....

that left turn off of 80th onto Cooper is one of the worst left turns for b/o's imo (ralph into flatlands being another) which absolutely slows things down, and that stupid mini-bay for the 54 stop is friggin' tedious. I've seen plenty of b/o's not even bother attempt to squeeze into it

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

On 8/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, Q43LTD said:

What are some signs that are incorrect to you? Examples:

The Bx36 says Soundview when it ends in Castle Hill

The Q42 destination sign says Addisleigh Park but the schedule says St Albans 

The Q28 destination says Bay Terrace. Schedule says Bayside

On the Queens bus map notes, the Q45 ended at Juniper Valley. Looking at a map, it's the Elmhurst-Middle Village border. 

The M14A saying West Side, when it has 2 eastern terminals at Abingdon Square and Chelsea Piers. 

The Manhattan crosstown routes saying East Side and West Side.

i think that the bx36 does'nt really matter, that area is soundview.

q42 and q28 - idk bc i almost never go to queens

m14a - abingdon sq yes, chelsea piers no. 18 st is too far from 23 st - it can be confusing.

crosstown - imo only ones that should be changed are:

m8 greenwich village to alphabet city

m50 west side pier to united nations north

m72 riverside south to yorkville

1 hour ago, New Flyer C40LFR said:

i think that the bx36 does'nt really matter, that area is soundview.

q42 and q28 - idk bc i almost never go to queens

m14a - abingdon sq yes, chelsea piers no. 18 st is too far from 23 st - it can be confusing.

crosstown - imo only ones that should be changed are:

m8 greenwich village to alphabet city

m50 west side pier to united nations north

m72 riverside south to yorkville

Nope. Soundview is west of WPR. That area is Castle Hill 

27 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Nope. Soundview is west of WPR. That area is Castle Hill 

That comment doesn't surprise me.... Many people tend to consider that whole immediate area between Bronx River (the actual river, not the projects... lol) & Westchester Creek as all being Soundview.... You seldom ever hear anyone make reference to Unionport.

Only real reference you'll hear Castle Hill being made to by most people, is the street itself, or the projects....

11 hours ago, New Flyer C40LFR said:

(1) M14A doesn't go to Chelsea Piers. M14D does.  

(2) The Chelsea Piers complex has entrances along its whole length from 17th to 22nd. Which one you need depends on which area you're visiting.

4 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

(1) M14A doesn't go to Chelsea Piers. M14D does.  

(2) The Chelsea Piers complex has entrances along its whole length from 17th to 22nd. Which one you need depends on which area you're visiting.

i know that lol. but chelsea piers is usually associated with 23st so thats why.

two more:

m5 midtown//31st-6av ÷ m5 via riverside//via 5av

m5 washington heights//gwb terminal ÷ m5 via 6 av//via riverside

m60 morningside heights//bway-106st ÷ m60 via astoria bl//via 125st

m60 laguradia airport ÷ m60 via 125 st//via astoria bl

5 hours ago, NBTA said:

Speaking of incorrect signs, it's always funny to see a bus have the wrong direction in a sign. You sitting at Jackson Heights, while the Q53 that's coming towards you says Woodside, even though it's going towards QCM.

I understand how a b/o can easily forget to change the sign, but this is still something that irritates me from time to time....

Some people have a tendency to put menial tasks off to the side; procrastinate... I'm the opposite - I get all the easy shit out the way fast, so I can focus on the more difficult stuff....

I always hated that. Just change the sign as soon you're at the terminal. Don't wait until halfway to the terminal to change it. Especially if you're the Q5 still saying Jamaica and people are asking are you going to Rosedale or Green Acres. Usually, the fare box changes the sign

• 2 months later...