Incorrect destination signs

Q43LTD

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Q43LTD - Not sure what the confused reaction is regarding, but I'm going to state here that Hallets Point is the area just north of the Astoria PJ's.... [10] Hallets point is also a new apartment complex they bulit off that same back block all those buses in question terminate....

2 hours ago, lornaevo said:

“The Hole”

Is that some nickname for that area or something?

Edited by B35 via Church

6 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

The Q103 and 104 saying Long Island City when they end in Hunters Point and Ravenswood respectively 

Hunters Point I consider to be a subsection of Long Island City (I'd say west of 23rd Street and south of 44th Drive). So I wouldn't say it's wrong to say the Q103 ends in Long Island City (Shoot, the LIRR station a few blocks away is called LIC). 

As for the Q104, I can't think of Ravenswood as being a subsection of any neighborhood. It's too far south to be Astoria and too far north to be LIC.

58 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Not sure what the confused reaction is regarding, but I'm going to state here that Hallets Point is the area just north of the Astoria PJ's.... [10] Hallets point is also a new apartment complex they bulit off that same back block all those buses in question terminate....

The confused reaction is just as close I could get to the wow reaction on Facebook 

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Is that some nickname for that area or something?

I don’t think that area, but it is the name of a neighborhood on the Brooklyn/Queens border. It’s the area east of Ruby St between Linden Blvd and S. Conduit Ave. The area is a “hole” 30 feet lower than the surrounding neighborhoods. Only bus service there is the B15 and BM5 on Linden Blvd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hole,_New_York_City

16 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

I don’t think that area, but it is the name of a neighborhood on the Brooklyn/Queens border. It’s the area east of Ruby St between Linden Blvd and S. Conduit Ave. The area is a “hole” 30 feet lower than the surrounding neighborhoods. Only bus service there is the B15 and BM5 on Linden Blvd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hole,_New_York_City

Oh, "The Hole" in Brooklyn I know about.....

55 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

The confused reaction is just as close I could get to the wow reaction on Facebook 

Gotcha.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Hunters Point I consider to be a subsection of Long Island City (I'd say west of 23rd Street and south of 44th Drive). So I wouldn't say it's wrong to say the Q103 ends in Long Island City (Shoot, the LIRR station a few blocks away is called LIC).

8 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

The Q103 and 104 saying Long Island City when they end in Hunters Point and Ravenswood respectively 

The Q103 signage doesn't even read Long Island City (or any abbreviated form of it) - it reads Hunters Pt (top line) Borden av (bottom line).

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

Then there's the Bx13 that says River Av-149 St, the Q88 originally said Rego Park Queens Blvd and the Q69 saying Jackson Hts when it really ends in East Elmhurst

Based on some maps that I looked at, Jackson Heights and East Elmhurst overlap in the Astoria Boulevard area so the signage is technically correct.

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Then there's the Bx13 that says River Av-149 St, the Q88 originally said Rego Park Queens Blvd and the Q69 saying Jackson Hts when it really ends in East Elmhurst

All of those aren’t wrong per say.

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

It's a corner destination. Maybe it could say Bronx Terminal Market...

Yeah and what's wrong with that? The Bronx Terminal Market stretches for several blocks, so having that destination sign isn't the worst thing. It basically makes it clear that it serves the entire stretch of the market.

12 hours ago, NBTA said:

All of those aren’t wrong per say.

The routing may have changed decades ago or something, but the Q88 one would be wrong, both with the neighborhood and the street. The Q88 never reaches Queens Boulevard (it comes close, but not quite). Also, Rego Park is located south of the LIE. Queens Center Mall (where the Q88 ends) is in Elmhurst.

6 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The Bx13 reading is not necessarily wrong but it does contradict the bus stop signs that say Bronx Terminal Market on them. The solution here would be to have a traditional two line reading with "BRONX TERMINAL MKT" over "RIVER AV-149 ST".

The destination signage and the bus stop signage... I would expect some inconsistency since the DOT oversees the installation of the bus stops, but the (MTA) deals with the destination signage on the actual buses. This may explain the discrepancy. It's similar to the different destination signage I see at some stops. The BM3 for example has "Sheepshead Bay" for some stops, and "Kings Bay" at other stops. The Kings Bay may throw off some people that are not familiar with Sheepshead Bay, but the name has been thrown around years ago and seems to be specific to the part of Sheepshead Bay closer to Knapp St, though in all of the years of growing up in Brooklyn, I've never heard anyone use "Kings Bay". My guess is DOT has their signage and the (MTA) has their signage, and every so often perhaps they update them. The Kings Bay signage definitely goes back to the Command days.

42 minutes ago, IRT Bronx Express said:

Someone mentioned the Bx36 not being within Soundview (or something...) Many years ago, the then-new RTS with the expanded flipdot signage had the destination signs read RANDALL AV-PUGSLEY AV. Good god, I miss that reading...

Do you mean the ones (51xx-52xx) with the TwinVision signs? I loved those! Too bad they always broke.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:44 PM, Kriston Lewis said:

Do you mean the ones (51xx-52xx) with the TwinVision signs? I loved those! Too bad they always broke.

I have limited knowledge on the technical terminologies of the destination signs, but are these Twinvision?

9ea6660a2e303dcc9dea3b450c8634ec.jpg47737839472_eb10257ee8_k.0.jpg

I never saw them in my area (unless it was one of those "blink and you miss it!") But the image/video below, yes.

s-l1600.jpg

22 hours ago, IRT Bronx Express said:

I have limited knowledge on the technical terminologies of the destination signs, but are these Twinvision?

9ea6660a2e303dcc9dea3b450c8634ec.jpg47737839472_eb10257ee8_k.0.jpg

I never saw them in my area (unless it was one of those "blink and you miss it!") But the image/video below, yes.

The orange signs replaced the worst functioning TwinVisions. This is what a TwinVision looks like. [note the rounder font, particularly on the A and V]

44476706680_c52bb75109_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 4:35 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The routing may have changed decades ago or something, but the Q88 one would be wrong, both with the neighborhood and the street. The Q88 never reaches Queens Boulevard (it comes close, but not quite). Also, Rego Park is located south of the LIE. Queens Center Mall (where the Q88 ends) is in Elmhurst.

So the Q88 should say, Elmhurst Queens Center Mall via Harding IMO. Since it never reaches Woodhaven Blvd (M)(R) 

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

So the Q88 should say, Elmhurst Queens Center Mall via Harding IMO. Since it never reaches Woodhaven Blvd (M)(R) 

I don't have a problem with it saying it goes to the Woodhaven Boulevard station, since the two northern station entrances are at most about a block away from the bus stop.

It's one thing if it erroneously stated it serves a certain road, but when it comes to stuff such as landmarks or other notable places, I don't have a problem with some leeway given.  Also, I believe that not mentioning that in the destination sign would hurt it. I do agree with having a "via Horace Harding Expwy" scroll or something similar. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven