Jay St Busway

SubBus

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't necessarily believe there's a need for a busway, but if it means having bridge traffic refraining from using Jay st. south of Tillary, then by all means, I guess.....

There is definitely a need for it. I’ve seen trucks blocking the way, I’ve seen cars on that street stopping to pick people up, and I’ve had to wait several minutes for B26, B57, and B62 buses because of it. Sometimes the 57/62 is 10 minutes late.

7 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

There is definitely a need for it. I’ve seen trucks blocking the way, I’ve seen cars on that street stopping to pick people up, and I’ve had to wait several minutes for B26, B57, and B62 buses because of it. Sometimes the 57/62 is 10 minutes late.

By that logic, every major street buses travel on need busways.

28 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Not to mention the NYU shuttles that will hold up traffic to drop students off / pick them up in the middle of Jay Street instead of letting them off inside the B54 layover... those drivers really don’t give a damn about holding up traffic 😂

And on that note, those B54s and NYU shuttles hold things up even more trying to turn onto Jay Street from Myrtle Avenue cause of the cars sitting at the light there unable to move with the way the bike lane is set up...

44 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Maybe they'll reroute some of the Cadman Plaza West/Adams Street buses to use Jay Street in one direction or the other? But I haven't seen any announcements yet on the MTA's part

LOL... Increase the throughput to further justify the busway.... Good chance that's what's going to be done.

In any case, the options are the B41 & the B103 running along Jay to Livingston & the other Fulton st routes (B25/38/52) taking Jay to Fulton.....

Here's hoping the B45 & the B103 swap terminals....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Is there a reason why the B26 is currently the only one of the routes stopping at Cadman Plaza that takes Jay Street instead of Adams Street?

The long & the short of it is that it's a remnant of history; the B26 used to end on Adams st, across the street from the courthouses (meaning, right in front of what is now the Marriott).... Turnaround was Johnson → Jay → Fulton.... Ever since they extended it one block over with the rest of the routes that end along Cadman Plaza W., they simply kept EB buses on that part of Jay (as there was no real need to alter any other part of the route)....

That explains the whole Tillary → Jay → Fulton bit that the route does.

Edited by B35 via Church

19 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Not to mention the NYU shuttles that will hold up traffic to drop students off / pick them up in the middle of Jay Street instead of letting them off inside the B54 layover... those drivers really don’t give a damn about holding up traffic 😂

It's NY - car drivers will double park on two lane roads in front of the building instead of pulling into and idling in the empty space by a fire hydrant.

Rearview mirrors and drivers behind you aren't acknowledged in NY.

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

It's NY - car drivers will double park on two lane roads in front of the building instead of pulling into and idling in the empty space by a fire hydrant.

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I hate it more than you do brother (I drive everyday). All this vision zero thing is complete nonsense and everything you mention on the 2 previous posts. 

Weirdest thing about this, is that these people also the same ones who bitch the most and the loudest about how New York drivers are the worst, more than your average driver.

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I hate it more than you do brother (I drive everyday). All this vision zero thing is complete nonsense and everything you mention on the 2 previous posts. 

First it was 30 mph, now it's 25.

No right on red

Can't complete left turns on Broadway or Park Av until the cross street light turns green

Have to weave lanes on the FDR because lanes just end for no reason

Cabbies driving and turning in front of you and stopping short for fares like they're still in Mumbai or Nairobi

Traffic lights at every intersection

10 ft wide lanes instead of 12...

If I do drive to the Bx, upstate, or New England, I go thru Jersey and over the Tappan Zee or Bear Mountain - the stress ain't worth it.

Just now, GojiMet86 said:

Weirdest thing about this, is that these people also the same ones who bitch the most and the loudest about how New York drivers are the worst, more than your average driver.

NYers on the Turnpike doing 40 in a 65 and got me passing on the right.

EFF em.

13 minutes ago, Deucey said:

First it was 30 mph, now it's 25.

No right on red

Can't complete left turns on Broadway or Park Av until the cross street light turns green

Have to weave lanes on the FDR because lanes just end for no reason

Cabbies driving and turning in front of you and stopping short for fares like they're still in Mumbai or Nairobi

Traffic lights at every intersection

10 ft wide lanes instead of 12...

If I do drive to the Bx, upstate, or New England, I go thru Jersey and over the Tappan Zee or Bear Mountain - the stress ain't worth it.

Cabbies. The worst. They don’t own the streets. 

12 minutes ago, Deucey said:

EFF em.

Turnpike rules: 80 in a 65 and that’s most drivers. When you see brake lights. Slowdown. Trooper activity (most cases) and don’t get pulled over by NJSP. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Turnpike rules: 80 in a 65 and that’s most drivers. When you see brake lights. Slowdown. Trooper activity (most cases) and don’t get pulled over by NJSP. 

I decided that to save money on tolls and get reasonably priced fuel and not wait 30 minutes in line to just take 130 to 295 in NJ.

Also means I see fewer AAA techs with guns and badges.

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

Bonus points for the ones that double park on 1-lane uni-directional streets !

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

...much like the people that tend to bitch the most about politics don't even vote.

There's a saying that goes something along the lines of "evil triumphs when good men do nothing"; something like that... I personally like Gandhi's quote better: "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" (instead of persistently bitching about what you're actually contributing TO :lol:)

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

EFF em.

I hear so many drivers take issue to this, but this doesn't really bother me (as long as the person I'm passing isn't driving egregiously/trepidatiously slow like doing 20 in a 65 with nothing but open road ahead)... IDRC which lane I have to pass some motherf***er on....

Not to say that you have to be speed racer or Michael Schumacher in his prime, but at the same time, driving sluggishly like that on a highway isn't exactly safe driving either....

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Cabbies. The worst. They don’t own the streets.

Something a lot of them don't own either is a green card.

29 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Not to say that you have to be speed racer or Michael Schumacher in his prime, but at the same time, driving sluggishly like that on a highway isn't exactly safe driving either....

I just rented a BMW to go to Niagara for my 40th birthday last month. NY has tamed me - if I were still a Californian every 6 hour drive I'd do in 4.5 (400 miles from Sacramento to LA, 70 mph speed limit on I-5, but we do 85-90 for most of it).

It actually took me 5.5 hours on the turnpike and Thruway from SI.

Y'all made a brotha light on the gas pedal.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

That 295 is clutch..

I made it from the Bx to DC one time without paying a single toll. Had to go thru Philly and take a bunch of US Highways. Only added 30 minutes to the trip.

That's when I knew the Turnpike is how they get you.

9 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The Mayor has not gone far enough with Vision Zero. Driving in NYC should be hard. People's lives are at stake.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

I just rented a BMW to go to Niagara for my 40th birthday last month. NY has tamed me - if I were still a Californian every 6 hour drive I'd do in 4.5 (400 miles from Sacramento to LA, 70 mph speed limit on I-5, but we do 85-90 for most of it).

It actually took me 5.5 hours on the turnpike and Thruway from SI.

Y'all made a brotha light on the gas pedal.

Oh. Those state troopers in the western region don’t play. I never touch the thruway going into Rochester, Buffalo and Niagara. Lucky for me I take 17 from Woodbury Commons to 390/490 than pick up the thruway to the falls.