Jay St Busway

SubBus

9 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

The Mayor has not gone far enough with Vision Zero. Driving in NYC should be hard. People's lives are at stake.

Driving in NYC shouldn’t be hard, but when you have speed cameras going up left and right and it’s not just only in school zones. In about a few weeks alone I’ve seen cameras go up in Brooklyn in a rapid rate. I understand that lives are at stake. It’s driver responsibility, pedestrian responsibility and it’s biker-Electric scooter responsibility. 

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Driving in NYC shouldn’t be hard, but when you have speed cameras going up left and right and it’s not just only in school zones. In about a few weeks alone I’ve seen cameras go up in Brooklyn in a rapid rate. I understand that lives are at stake. It’s driver responsibility, pedestrian responsibility and it’s biker-Electric scooter responsibility. 

When we are in a climate crisis it should be made much harder. Unless we drastically reduce car use, the world will become uninhabitable for my generation and those to come. New York City has great transit options. People should be steered to using them. Speed cameras only ticket people when they go 11 mph over the limit. People hit by a car at 30 mph are 70% more likely to be killed than a car at 25 mph. Cars should be ticketed for going at least 1-2 mph greater than the limit, and the number of cameras should be increased.

Stop blaming pedestrians. https://www.curbed.com/2020/9/3/21419149/pedestrian-safety-deaths-angie-schmitt

2 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

When we are in a climate crisis it should be made much harder. Unless we drastically reduce car use, the world will become uninhabitable for my generation and those to come. New York City has great transit options. People should be steered to using them. Speed cameras only ticket people when they go 11 mph over the limit. People hit by a car at 30 mph are 70% more likely to be killed than a car at 25 mph. Cars should be ticketed for going at least 1-2 mph greater than the limit, and the number of cameras should be increased.

Stop blaming pedestrians. https://www.curbed.com/2020/9/3/21419149/pedestrian-safety-deaths-angie-schmitt

I’m not placing blame on pedestrians at all. I’m a pedestrian first before a driver. However, all I’m saying it’s everyone’s responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and that includes jaywalking and jumping on red lights when you are on a bike. 

I agree that NYC has great transit opinions. However, the political climate of this city prevents any chance of good transit. I’d like to be on a bus again flying 40 miles a hour on a bus lane with extended green lights for buses only. Unless we change the political temperature of this city and state. There’s no way the (MTA) can move NY. 

8 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

In the logic of an advocate, yes, people should be steered to using transit. However, the constant delays, signal malfunctions, the rise in crime, the invasion of homeless people(not as much now), late buses/buses that never show up and other miscellaneous things that happen in the system is exactly why people are more prone to driving in the city, especially in areas that are deep in the boroughs. It's not as simple as "Hey, transit can fix all of your problems!", it's the stuff that happens in the system that makes people want to drive.

And with the way fares are going up, it'll eventually get to the point where filling up your gas tank will be cheaper(or already is cheaper for some people) than a monthly metrocard, or an LIRR/MNRR monthly pass.

The fact is, our options are great ONLY for those that don't live in transit deserts, but our ENTIRE SYSTEM hasn't been great for the past 20 years, and that's been more evident in the last 5 years as the ridership decline spiked.

Also, getting rid of cars and making things harder for drivers(especially those who DRIVE to depots/yards/stations to provide the TRANSIT WE USE) is not the answer. States and cities need to push electric vehicles as hard as California is at this moment. Making people switch to cleaner, more environmentally friendly vehicles is a start.

Edited by Cait Sith
damn typos.

9 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Oh. Those state troopers in the western region don’t play. I never touch the thruway going into Rochester, Buffalo and Niagara. Lucky for me I take 17 from Woodbury Commons to 390/490 than pick up the thruway to the falls. 

Oddly enough the only one I saw the whole trip - both ways, was waiting on the SB side of the Bayonne Bridge.

I even had a good bit of time on I-81 thru and south of Syracuse doing 85 and not a single Ticketer showed up.

But I see them outside the 120th Pct whenever I walk to the ferry. Just like in Cali.

45 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Oddly enough the only one I saw the whole trip - both ways, was waiting on the SB side of the Bayonne Bridge.

I even had a good bit of time on I-81 thru and south of Syracuse doing 85 and not a single Ticketer showed up.

But I see them outside the 120th Pct whenever I walk to the ferry. Just like in Cali.

Amazing driving sir. I-81 and Route 17 both my favorite roads to travel upstate. Not a single trooper in site unless it’s a major tie-up and speaking on Staten Island I’ve notice a good amount of state troopers and Nyc sheriffs as of late. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

speaking on Staten Island I’ve notice a good amount of state troopers and Nyc sheriffs as of late. 

The sheriffs are all over lately, but they can't actually do anything. They're a tiny local department that's in charge in covid busts and small crimes the city focuses on (like fireworks). No traffic stops, even if they look like cop cars.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

The sheriffs are all over lately, but they can't actually do anything. They're a tiny local department that's in charge in covid busts and small crimes the city focuses on (like fireworks). No traffic stops, even if they look like cop cars.

Lucky I haven't been traveling south as of late. However, when I come back I don't touch the Bayonne, Goethals or Outerbridge. I was out in Staten Island on Tuesday and saw State police and Sheriffs office vehicles on the VZB.  Traffic was at a standstill for the morning into early afternoon. Than I get on the Belt and that traffic was bad with State Troopers assisting NYPD Highway 2 with an accident.

8 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

In the logic of an advocate, yes, people should be steered to using transit. However, the constant delays, signal malfunctions, the rise in crime, the invasion of homeless people(not as much now), late buses/buses that never show up and other miscellaneous things that happen in the system is exactly why people are more prone to driving in the city, especially in areas that are deep in the boroughs. It's not as simple as "Hey, transit can fix all of your problems!", it's the stuff that happens in the system that makes people want to drive.

And with the way fares are going up, it'll eventually get to the point where filling up your gas tank will be cheaper(or already is cheaper for some people) than a monthly metrocard, or an LIRR/MNRR monthly pass.

The fact is, our options are great ONLY for those that don't live in transit deserts, but our ENTIRE SYSTEM hasn't been great for the past 20 years, and that's been more evident in the last 5 years as the ridership decline spiked.

Also, getting rid of cars and making things harder for drivers(especially those who DRIVE to depots/yards/stations to provide the TRANSIT WE USE) is not the answer. States and cities need to push electric vehicles as hard as California is at this moment. Making people switch to cleaner, more environmentally friendly vehicles is a start.

This here I totally agree with. In the past few years I've noticed a decent amount of Tesla charging stations in Manhattan and Red Hook, Brooklyn. However, there needs to be a real push for electric vehicles in New York State.

Back on topic real quick:  When you have city agencies, courts, NYU Poly Tech I wonder how this 7A-7PM enforcement is going to pan out. The formentioned bus lines don't run 5-10 minutes unless the (MTA) is willing to detour the B41 (Limited), B38 (Limited) off from Adams to Jay than I could see a case for this. But when you have the B26, B54, B57, B62 and B67 those lines mostly carry air and are not within the 5-10 minute range

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

In the logic of an advocate, yes, people should be steered to using transit. However, the constant delays, signal malfunctions, the rise in crime, the invasion of homeless people(not as much now), late buses/buses that never show up and other miscellaneous things that happen in the system is exactly why people are more prone to driving in the city, especially in areas that are deep in the boroughs. It's not as simple as "Hey, transit can fix all of your problems!", it's the stuff that happens in the system that makes people want to drive.....

AFAIC, it's tantamount to an anti-car talking point & as a public transit advocate, I refuse to go that far left with it.... The staunch/extreme pro-car guys do the same shit when it comes to public transportation....

Honestly, as was stated, what percentage of public transit employees themselves in this city even utilize & rely on mass transit to get to & from work every day? Hell, when I used to take the LIRR in the morning to my old job, I would always notice the sheer amt. of cars in the parking lot inside QV depot.... Tells me all I need to know.

You better beware the restaurateur that wouldn't eat what he/she themselves are out there serving to anyone that dares patronize that restaurant.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:57 PM, Deucey said:

No right on red

Traffic lights at every intersection

10 ft wide lanes instead of 12...

At least for these three

• no right on red has been a thing since before Vision Zero due to the sheer number of pedestrians. Also, judging by LI and Westchester you have a fair amount of people who don't realize "right on red" means you need to come to a full stop before you turn right.
  • traffic lights at every intersection, also because of the sheer number of pedestrians
  • at least on urban streets the FHA recommends 9 or 10 ft lanes. I don't know that there are many parkways or expressways not at a 12 ft lane (the Jackie Robinson being a notable exception, it's fairly easy to lose your side mirrors on that road particularly in the underpasses)
On 9/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, B35 via Church said:

I hear so many drivers take issue to this, but this doesn't really bother me (as long as the person I'm passing isn't driving egregiously/trepidatiously slow like doing 20 in a 65 with nothing but open road ahead)... IDRC which lane I have to pass some motherf***er on....

The problem with passing on the right is mostly that you'll be in one of the worst blind spots as you pass. And these days people love picking up a crossover or something with poor visibility, especially the people who have never actually driven such vehicles before and don't realize that an SUV handles differently from a sedan...

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

AFAIC, it's tantamount to an anti-car talking point & as a public transit advocate, I refuse to go that far left with it.... The staunch/extreme pro-car guys do the same shit when it comes to public transportation....

Honestly, as was stated, what percentage of public transit employees themselves in this city even utilize & rely on mass transit to get to & from work every day? Hell, when I used to take the LIRR in the morning to my old job, I would always notice the sheer amt. of cars in the parking lot inside QV depot.... Tells me all I need to know.

You better beware the restaurateur that wouldn't eat what he/she themselves are out there serving to anyone that dares patronize that restaurant.

If you are fine having the planet be uninhabitable, then sure, accept the political reality that it is hard to get people out of cars. If you want to do something about it, like me, you need to advocate to reduce car usage as much as possible. You do note that I understand that some trips can only feasibly be done by cars.

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

at least on urban streets the FHA recommends 9 or 10 ft lanes. I don't know that there are many parkways or expressways not at a 12 ft lane (the Jackie Robinson being a notable exception, it's fairly easy to lose your side mirrors on that road particularly in the underpasses)

Came close to learning that lesson on the Jackie Ro.

Other times I almost learned it:

On the Deegan curve in the South Bx

Sedgwick Av trying to get around a double parked BMW X5

179th St coming off the Deegan thanks to a box truck 

Some Street by a drag bar in the village (where I finally parallel parked successfully for the first time)

6 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

If you are fine having the planet be uninhabitable, then sure, accept the political reality that it is hard to get people out of cars. If you want to do something about it, like me, you need to advocate to reduce car usage as much as possible. You do note that I understand that some trips can only feasibly be done by cars.

Given your environmental, anti-car talking point, I wouldn't know it.... Sounds like you don't want to overtly state that you want to sell commuters the infeasible, unrealistic pipe dream of a transit utopia.....

7 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

My administration would spend insane amounts of money rebuilding streetcars GM got cities to abandon, and to do like the EU and build HSR along interstates so driving ends up being done for fun or the unforeseen necessity.

Even though it’d put my cousins in Detroit out of work.

41 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Given your environmental, anti-car talking point, I wouldn't know it.... Sounds like you don't want to overtly state that you want to sell commuters the infeasible, unrealistic pipe dream of a transit utopia.....

If we weren't in a climate crisis, things would be very different. Then I would push for more gradual changes, and try to meet half way. At the current point, trying to meet half way will mean that we will not reduce emissions enough to limit warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius, and place all our futures at risk. Rural areas need cars. I am not denying it. Urban areas need to become more walkable, need to be denser, and need to have better transit systems.

2 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

If we weren't in a climate crisis, things would be very different. Then I would push for more gradual changes, and try to meet half way. At the current point, trying to meet half way will mean that we will not reduce emissions enough to limit warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius, and place all our futures at risk. Rural areas need cars. I am not denying it. Urban areas need to become more walkable, need to be denser, and need to have better transit systems.

Good to know.... At the same token, don't preach to me about accepting political realities in regards to getting people out of cars then....

Conveying that I should advocate the reduction of car usage as much as possible, to me, is advocating dictating how people should spend their time & money...

Just now, B35 via Church said:

Good to know.... At the same token, don't preach to me about accepting political realities in regards to getting people out of cars then....

Conveying that I should advocate the reduction of car usage as much as possible, to me, is advocating dictating how people should spend their time & money...

I understand the political realities and that most people do not care about the issue or have time. I meant to convey that if you believe that the climate crisis is real, you should support reducing car usage. I was not trying to be patronizing, so please forgive the way I phrased it.

7 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I understand the political realities and that most people do not care about the issue or have time. I meant to convey that if you believe that the climate crisis is real, you should support reducing car usage. I was not trying to be patronizing, so please forgive the way I phrased it.

Alright, cool.... That's a better way of putting it then.... Your initial reply (to me) came off rather condescending & repressive.

Edited by B35 via Church