NICE to get 60 Gillig buses to replace Orions

Lawrence St

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2022 at 11:56 AM, Joel Powers said:

Is there any idea as to why NICE is getting 33 new XN40s? was the remaining Gillig Adavantage BRT Plus CNG order cancelled?

NICE is also still getting Gilligs, the number has been reduced to 36, here’s what I can see happening

6 XE40s

33 XN40s

36 Gilligs

i think what NICE is doing a fleet expansion, not all this is confirmed 

3 hours ago, MTABusTransitFanner said:

NICE is also still getting Gilligs, the number has been reduced to 36, here’s what I can see happening

6 XE40s

33 XN40s

36 Gilligs

Sounds more like they're slowing going to push out the 1800s. The tanks are good for 20 years, but if they've hit 500k miles or more, those buses are for.

Edited by Cait Sith

9 hours ago, MTABusTransitFanner said:

6 XE40s

33 XN40s

36 Gilligs

So the 45 option order to replace the 2012-13 EPA10 3G CNGs have been cancelled and replaced by this XN40 order? I wonder if this new batch of XN40s are an option of the XE40 order for up to 36 XE40s? Very interesting scenario. 

On 4/13/2022 at 12:16 AM, Joel Powers said:

So the 45 option order to replace the 2012-13 EPA10 3G CNGs have been cancelled and replaced by this XN40 order? I wonder if this new batch of XN40s are an option of the XE40 order for up to 36 XE40s? Very interesting scenario. 

the 3G CNGs aren't old enough to be replaced. From what i'm hearing, the 30 options(XE40s) will not be taken

On 4/12/2022 at 6:20 PM, Cait Sith said:

Sounds more like they're slowing going to push out the 1800s. The tanks are good for 20 years, but if they've hit 500k miles or more, those buses are for.

Theres a few units im aware of that have 500k or more, most units are between 400-499 from what Ive seen, Ive also been hearing that their retirement may begin sooner than expected, im not too sure about that rn

9 hours ago, MTABusTransitFanner said:

Theres a few units im aware of that have 500k or more, most units are between 400-499 from what Ive seen, Ive also been hearing that their retirement may begin sooner than expected, im not too sure about that rn

Well, you said that #1807 was written off. Was it in a wreck? We already know the story of #1804. IIRC, they send the XE40s will eventually venture off to other routes, so I'd assume they would want to take the options, though maybe later down the line. Are there any plans for RVC Depot seeing that it is still standing, or maybe a future new Depot elsewhere (I'd suggest the North Shore area)?

16 hours ago, MTABusTransitFanner said:

Also, did NICE mention anywhere when they plan to ditch Compressed Natural Gas fueled buses altogther?

On 4/17/2022 at 8:12 AM, Joel Powers said:

Well, you said that #1807 was written off. Was it in a wreck? We already know the story of #1804. IIRC, they send the XE40s will eventually venture off to other routes, so I'd assume they would want to take the options, though maybe later down the line. Are there any plans for RVC Depot seeing that it is still standing, or maybe a future new Depot elsewhere (I'd suggest the North Shore area)?

Oh no no no, I never said 1807 was written off, 1807 is fine, it had an issue(forgot what it was) it’s expected to return soon. The XE40s will be used on all the lines, unfortunately NICE will not be taking the 30 options for the electrics. As of rn NICE has no plans to either restore Rockville Centre depot or open a whole new depot.

4 hours ago, MTABusTransitFanner said:

Oh no no no, I never said 1807 was written off, 1807 is fine, it had an issue(forgot what it was) it’s expected to return soon. The XE40s will be used on all the lines, unfortunately NICE will not be taking the 30 options for the electrics. As of rn NICE has no plans to either restore Rockville Centre depot or open a whole new depot.

Ah, very interesting, I guess the 2011 Orion 7.501 NG CNGs may stick around for a while. I assume you work for NICE bus?

On 4/20/2022 at 4:34 PM, MTABusTransitFanner said:

There’s news articles everywhere that NICE will be going all electric soon

What news articles and what does "soon" mean? They're installing an upgrade to their CNG fuel-pump system now and would need serious infrastructure upgrades in order to support going all electric because of all the vehicles that would need to be charged. The XE40s on order are only coming along with a few charging stations being setup at the depot, not enough to charge the entire fleet if it were electric.

17 hours ago, User said:

What news articles and what does "soon" mean? They're installing an upgrade to their CNG fuel-pump system now and would need serious infrastructure upgrades in order to support going all electric because of all the vehicles that would need to be charged. The XE40s on order are only coming along with a few charging stations being setup at the depot, not enough to charge the entire fleet if it were electric.

Oh my apologies lol, sometimes I have issues reading

• 9 months later...
On 4/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, MTABusTransitFanner said:

So what the heck are they using it for now?

5 hours ago, MTABusTransitFanner said:

As of right now NICE has no artic orders coming up that I’m aware of, I’ve spoken to a few employees I’m friends with and they have told me the same thing, if I get any news I’ll let y’all know.

They're not going to know regardless.

Months back, they have expressed interest in getting more artics, they want the n4 to be an articulated route.

• 7 months later...