Call to Action Event to Fund MTA

Via Garibaldi 8

Yesterday, myself and another express bus advocate I work with had a conference call with The Riders Alliance to aid with the planning of an event to call on Congress to fund the MTA.

-We are focusing on areas that are the furthest away from Manhattan, particularly subway deserts. We will have an event on Staten Island next Thursday, Sept 24th at the Eltingville Transit Center mid-day. Congress meets on the 30th and we need to be heard.

-It sickens me as a taxpayer and a commuter the way the MTA wastes money, but the reality is without these funds, express bus riders will see a 40% REDUCTION in service in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and on Staten Island. Come out and join us if you can.

119620642_10220890854553587_446267128938

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you going to vote for Trump again? 

Not a troll question – pretty serious. I think it's great you're doing this event. But there is only one way we get funding for the MTA, and it involves getting him out of office. Republicans have demonstrated they are happy to let cities die and refuse to come to the table with Democrats on stimulus funding. Wouldn't be congruous to hold an event like this and vote for the same people who want to choke NYC to death.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Are you going to vote for Trump again? 

Not a troll question – pretty serious. I think it's great you're doing this event. But there is only one way we get funding for the MTA, and it involves getting him out of office. Republicans have demonstrated they are happy to let cities die and refuse to come to the table with Democrats on stimulus funding. Wouldn't be congruous to hold an event like this and vote for the same people who want to choke NYC to death.

Political affiliation should be irrelevant. I have worked with Democrats and with Republicans for better service, and I'm pretty sure some of the people that will be at the event will be a mix of Republicans and Democrats.

26 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Political affiliation should be irrelevant. I have worked with Democrats and with Republicans for better service, and I'm pretty sure some of the people that will be at the event will be a mix of Republicans and Democrats.

If only it were.

Republicans at a local level are willing to work for better service as a matter of constituent policy – Bay Ridge, SI reps have always done their part for their residents. But at a national level, national Republicans have time and time again demonstrated their complete lack of interest in funding transit, as well as their specific disdain for New York in general (refusing to fund healthcare for 9/11 EMS survivors, refusing to gives us FEMA money after Hurricane Sandy, etc.). Then you have this president just this week saying that 'besides the Blue states, Covid hasn't been so bad,' personally stripping the MTA's emergency funding for covid cleaning, killing desperately needed congestion pricing, suggesting that funding be revoked from 'anarchist cities like New York,' stalling the Gateway tunnel, and allowing Amtrak to wither and die. And that's just his administration alone, not the larger coalition Republicans in Congress who let this stimulus bill die, led by Mitch McConnell who suggested that NY State should declare bankruptcy rather than receive a stimulus. If you are serious about lobbying Congress and national politicians for funding–and by all accounts you are–you will need to confront these realities.

43 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

If only it were.

Republicans at a local level are willing to work for better service as a matter of constituent policy – Bay Ridge, SI reps have always done their part for their residents. But at a national level, national Republicans have time and time again demonstrated their complete lack of interest in funding transit, as well as their specific disdain for New York in general (refusing to fund healthcare for 9/11 EMS survivors, refusing to gives us FEMA money after Hurricane Sandy, etc.). Then you have this president just this week saying that 'besides the Blue states, Covid hasn't been so bad,' personally stripping the MTA's emergency funding for covid cleaning, killing desperately needed congestion pricing, suggesting that funding be revoked from 'anarchist cities like New York,' stalling the Gateway tunnel, and allowing Amtrak to wither and die. And that's just his administration alone, not the larger coalition Republicans in Congress who let this stimulus bill die, led by Mitch McConnell who suggested that NY State should declare bankruptcy rather than receive a stimulus. If you are serious about lobbying Congress and national politicians for funding–and by all accounts you are–you will need to confront these realities.

We are taking a stance that we work with Republicans and Democrats. That's how it has been from day one, and it seems as if the large advocacy groups have been doing the same thing. We don't bring up political affiliations because we don't know who we're going to need to assist us. It's stupid to pigeonhold yourself as this or that. Now personally, I have my beliefs, but for advocacy purposes, we have elected officials who are Democrats in the group, and some Republicans as well. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We are taking a stance that we work with Republicans and Democrats. That's how it has been from day one, and it seems as if the large advocacy groups have been doing the same thing. We don't bring up political affiliations because we don't know who we're going to need to assist us. It's stupid to pigeonhold yourself as this or that. Now personally, I have my beliefs, but for advocacy purposes, we have elected officials who are Democrats in the group, and some Republicans as well. 

And that sounds great. So – you personally, with your beliefs, separate from your advocacy purposes – you're gonna vote for Trump again? In spite of everything he has done and will do to public transit and the cities of this country? I still remember the "TRUMP MAKE AMERICA GREAT" in your signature here. 

36 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

And that sounds great. So – you personally, with your beliefs, separate from your advocacy purposes – you're gonna vote for Trump again? In spite of everything he has done and will do to public transit and the cities of this country? I still remember the "TRUMP MAKE AMERICA GREAT" in your signature here. 

My personal stance is the (MTA) should not be given more money. Even if they cut service, I would be fine getting to and from work and elsewhere, and so it wasn't until recently that I agreed to assist the other advocacy groups. That's one reason I moved here because I have easy access to Manhattan, so I can drive in if need be. However, many people won't or don't have that option and would be screwed, and so for that reason, I am advocating for the funding. I understand that NYC overall would suffer if the (MTA) doesn't get the funding. The larger advocacy groups are focusing on those that rely on transit most, particularly poor communities. The express bus advocates are focusing on those of us that live in subway deserts where bus service, especially express bus service, is paramount. For example, there are a number of areas with high senior populations where those people would be stuck if express bus service was cut.

If you're asking me how I've done with Trump as president versus Obama, I'm doing a lot better. Under Obama, financially I suffered. I have been better overall under Trump. The department I run brought did the best it has ever done since I've been running it in part because the economy was doing so well pre-COVID. The tax cuts given to businesses benefitted me as well.

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

However, many people won't or don't have that option and would be screwed, and so for that reason, I am advocating for the funding. I understand that NYC overall would suffer if the (MTA) doesn't get the funding.

Good, glad you're aware on that.

If you're asking me how I've done with Trump as president versus Obama, I'm doing a lot better. Under Obama, financially I suffered. I have been better overall under Trump. The department I run brought did the best it has ever done since I've been running it in part because the economy was doing so well pre-COVID. The tax cuts given to businesses benefitted me as well.

Not the question. But yes, during the period of economic stability Trump inherited from Obama – whose Keynesian stimulus helped clean up Bush's mess and the worst downturn in decades when he assumed office – yes, many of us did well. It's interesting to me that you would credit the sitting president for inherited economic stability. And I wonder how you feel he has handled Covid, as compared to the rest of the modern world.

2 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Good, glad you're aware on that.

Not the question. But yes, during the period of economic stability Trump inherited from Obama – whose Keynesian stimulus helped clean up Bush's mess and the worst downturn in decades when he assumed office – yes, many of us did well. It's interesting to me that you would credit the sitting president for inherited economic stability. And I wonder how you feel he has handled Covid, as compared to the rest of the modern world.

No president is going to be perfect. Quite frankly, I was fond of Clinton, who was a Democrat, but hated Bush who was a Republican, and was no fan of Obama, particularly on how he handled the economy. 

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No president is going to be perfect. Quite frankly, I was fond of Clinton, who was a Democrat, but hated Bush who was a Republican, and was no fan of Obama, particularly on how he handled the economy. 

It actually sounds like you're pretty happy with how he handled the economy, since you state you did well during the years directly following his administration. Nearly all economists would agree that the years immediately after an administration best reflect the financial and monetary policy of the previous president, not the newly-elected one. 

But yes, I would also describe the 200,000 dead Americans as 'imperfect' from a policy standpoint. The article in Politico about how the Trump administration ignored the preparations and tabletop planning of the Obama admin's pandemic response team is particularly interesting. I digress. 

7 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

It actually sounds like you're pretty happy with how he handled the economy, since you state you did well during the years directly following his administration. Nearly all economists would agree that the years immediately after an administration best reflect the financial and monetary policy of the previous president, not the newly-elected one. 

But yes, I would also describe the 200,000 dead Americans as 'imperfect' from a policy standpoint. The article in Politico about how the Trump administration ignored the preparations and tabletop planning of the Obama admin's pandemic response team is particularly interesting. I digress. 

It's odd that you're bringing up the president when this is about Congress funding the (MTA) , but ok, and yes, I'm personally happy with how the economy was handled pre-COVID.

27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's odd that you're bringing up the president when this is about Congress funding the (MTA) , but ok, and yes, I'm personally happy with how the economy was handled pre-COVID.

You think the Republican-controlled Senate, which takes marching orders from Mark Meadows at the White House, is so entirely independent? Meadows has explicitly said it's the White House that could "make a deal," direct quote, with the Democrats. Congress only follows. You should research the way this works if you're going into advocate on this stuff. What's "odd" is that the Democrats have repeatedly come to the table with a stimulus plan and the Republicans won't even remotely play ball when it comes to state and local aid.

Edited by MHV9218

26 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

You think the Republican-controlled Senate, which takes marching orders from Mark Meadows at the White House, is so entirely independent? Meadows has explicitly said it's the White House that could "make a deal," direct quote, with the Democrats. Congress only follows. You should research the way this works if you're going into advocate on this stuff. What's "odd" is that the Democrats have repeatedly come to the table with a stimulus plan and the Republicans won't even remotely play ball when it comes to state and local aid.

Thanks for turning this into a political discussion... 👎

57 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

I do understand that funding is critical right now for everyone, including the (MTA) which itself is facing a 16 Billion Hole. Obviously we are dealing with an issue in Washington involving Senate Republicans refusing to make any concessions, compromises or take a bi-partisan approach to help out, but the reality is that (MTA) isn't the only Transit Agency in this country facing an economic Katrina, MBTA's also facing their 500 Million shortfall as well as other Transit Agencies around the country. As much as I disagree with shutting down the subways from 1 AM to 5 AM for "cleaning/disinfecting" it is criminal how FEMA has ripped away reimbursements for Transit Agencies and Schools to have robust disinfecting and provide PPE. This event @Via Garibaldi 8 is holding will be important as it will be a message to DC that NY needs a robust transit system. The President and the Senate Republicans should be held accountable this Election season and they have to remember that they work for us, not for corporate PAC's. If they show this unwillingness to work together to save this country's basic functions we as constituents on Election Day have to show that in the same manner that we voted them in to office, we can easily vote them out. Now I have requested my Absentee Ballot for this upcoming Election and I will be voting for Biden in this Election, but honestly we shouldn't be going after people on here for voting for Trump or Republicans in general, if there is anything that should be learned in these past 4 years is that, regardless on how you feel about it, there will be people that will continue to support and vote for Trump and that is something one person won't and can't change. Now I understand and agree with your points @MHV9218 but as an advocacy group it is best for @Via Garibaldi 8 to maintain a neutral approach for the sake of being respectful to members who are part of the group, because in most cases, especially in our current political climate there will be a need to work with Officials on both sides of the Isle. That is my 2 cents on this topic.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Thanks for turning this into a political discussion... 👎

If that's your only response, you're just ignoring the facts of the matter. Those are recorded events. You can ignore them, that's your right, but this is the reality of the situation. I don't know who it would benefit to pretend these things haven't happened.

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

Now I understand and agree with your points @MHV9218 but as an advocacy group it is best for @Via Garibaldi 8 to maintain a neutral approach for the sake of being respectful to members who are part of the group, because in most cases, especially in our current political climate there will be a need to work with Officials on both sides of the Isle. That is my 2 cents on this topic.

He's welcome to remain neutral in his group. He should. But he used to have an all-caps, red lettered "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" signature on every one of his posts, so I'm just curious how he feels that decision has paid off as the Trump administration turns its back on New York and every city (and 'blue state') across the country.

As a business/operational pov it should not matter on what stance the person stands at in politics. I feel whether republican or democratic the (MTA) still needs a major reform. Imo the agency was bound to be in this situation sooner or later. Covid-19 basically sped it up. 

No matter what stance anyone takes there's always gonna be that one crowd that's not gonna agree on how the country and this agency is run plus there's always bts action regarding how to invest the budget correctly. It's a matter of not picking the deadliest poison and providing the best confrontation on this crisis.

(By the way if anything Trump is the one republican I know of that's actually pushing for the stimulus but I don't like posting on any type of platform about politics and I'd like to keep it like that)

In this situation, VG8 has the right approach. The only way the MTA is going to get funding of any size is with bipartisan support.

Anyone who thinks that the MTA can get $12 billion allocated by beating up on President Trump has absolutely no idea on how things work in Washington DC. Many states and cities are putting in requests for amounts that include fixing problems from BEFORE the pandemic. You can't fluff up your requests and expect Congress to swallow it when you are attacking the president with both barrels. The $300B that the Senate Republicans tried to move was not a serious attempt, but moving $1.5T is a heavier lift and requires a degree of civility that does not exist. 

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

As a business/operational pov it should not matter on what stance the person stands at in politics. I feel whether republican or democratic the (MTA) still needs a major reform. Imo the agency was bound to be in this situation sooner or later. Covid-19 basically sped it up. 

No matter what stance anyone takes there's always gonna be that one crowd that's not gonna agree on how the country and this agency is run plus there's always bts action regarding how to invest the budget correctly. It's a matter of not picking the deadliest poison and providing the best confrontation on this crisis.

(By the way if anything Trump is the one republican I know of that's actually pushing for the stimulus but I don't like posting on any type of platform about politics and I'd like to keep it like that)

I'm sorry, but you guys are completely missing the picture if you think that politics are irrelevant to this. Republicans have specifically blocked this stimulus. It's nice to want to avoid politics, but this is a specifically political issue. And no, Trump is not "pushing for the stimulus." He wants to send the $1200 checks, because it helps his popularity numbers, not provide any of the state and local aid. His chief of staff, Mark Meadows, has personally made sure it doesn't happen. These are not my opinions, these are the stated positions of these people. 

This isn't "both sides can agree." One side has said New York State should go bankrupt. That side doesn't want the MTA to exist. I don't think you guys are getting it. 

And by the way, no, the MTA was not bound to be a in a multi-billion dollar deficit 'sooner or later.' This is the worst budget catastrophe in the history of the MTA. There is no comparison.

42 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

In this situation, VG8 has the right approach. The only way the MTA is going to get funding of any size is with bipartisan support.

Anyone who thinks that the MTA can get $12 billion allocated by beating up on President Trump has absolutely no idea on how things work in Washington DC. Many states and cities are putting in requests for amounts that include fixing problems from BEFORE the pandemic. You can't fluff up your requests and expect Congress to swallow it when you are attacking the president with both barrels. The $300B that the Senate Republicans tried to move was not a serious attempt, but moving $1.5T is a heavier lift and requires a degree of civility that does not exist. 

Sorry, too late. It didn't happen. They aren't doing it. We tried this – they won't do it. The first round passed because Mnuchin was in charge and came to the compromise. The second round will not because Meadows has made it clear there will be no negotiation. There will not be a sizable stimulus so long as Trump is president. Let's not kid around and pretend this is merely a matter of diplomacy.

7 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

There will not be a sizable stimulus so long as Trump is president. Let's not kid around and pretend this is merely a matter of diplomacy.

There will be a stimulus and President Trump isn't suppressing the size of it. He stresses manufacturing because you can't defend your country if you cannot build things. He needs large-scale manufacturers to be stimulated and he can do that via allocations to transit agencies. The Republican establishment and President Trump aren't the same people.

Just now, JAzumah said:

There will be a stimulus and President Trump isn't suppressing the size of it. He stresses manufacturing because you can't defend your country if you cannot build things. He needs large-scale manufacturers to be stimulated and he can do that via allocations to transit agencies. The Republican establishment and President Trump aren't the same people.

Literally none of the large-scale public works, road-building, infrastructure, or engineering projects he proposed before his election have come to fruition. That was a pre-election fantasy; in reality he governs a lot like most of the Republican establishment, completely uninterested in infrastructure. In fact he has only slowed projects like the essential Gateway tunnel. He has demonstrated no interest in public works. Furthermore, he absolutely is suppressing the size of the stimulus. There are plenty of articles about this. Democrats have introduced a reasonable stimulus and his administration, via Meadows, has indicated they will not works towards a deal. There's a reason we're at a deadlock. Republicans in Congress are simply following his lead. 

With respect to bipartisanship, if and only if you don't compromise your values, I'm okay with it. My personal view is if someone from a different political leaning wants to partner up, they're meeting me on my terms, and if not, forget about it.

So basically as long as there's no "compromises" like what happens in congress (where almost nothing substantive comes out of it), I don't have a problem. 

13 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

The Republican establishment and President Trump aren't the same people.

😆😆😆 

Yes, and the sky is green.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

2 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Literally none of the large-scale public works, road-building, infrastructure, or engineering projects he proposed before his election have come to fruition. That was a pre-election fantasy; in reality he governs a lot like most of the Republican establishment, completely uninterested in infrastructure. In fact he has only slowed projects like the essential Gateway tunnel. He has demonstrated no interest in public works. Furthermore, he absolutely is suppressing the size of the stimulus. There are plenty of articles about this. Democrats have introduced a reasonable stimulus and his administration, via Meadows, has indicated they will not works towards a deal. There's a reason we're at a deadlock. Republicans in Congress are simply following his lead. 

President Trump (like most human beings) are pre-disposed to work with those that work with him.

I would have liked to see more infrastructure happen, but that gets really difficult when the people you are working with are trying to destroy you. We needed the wall AND Gateway and we only got the wall because Schumer decided not to play ball. 

I support legalizing marijuana, but that does not belong in a COVID bill. Neither does a bailout of the Illinois pension system. These are just two examples of the pork stuffed into the House's second COVID bill. That is not a good starting point for negotiations. I believe the House's Problem Solvers proposal has a much better chance of passing the Senate. There are some GOP senators that want to jam the president up, but their inability to move a bill that the entire country is clamoring for is putting their Senate majority in danger. They will have to do something useful or they are done.

Many of the articles written on this issue are garbage. We are in an environment where both sides could shower all of their homies across the country with money and they are dragging their feet to take the president out. The part that scares them is President Trump's ability to tap the slush funds directly with executive orders like he did for unemployment. They were not expecting that. His next move might be to raid another slush fund for the airlines. If the transit community could build a relationship with him, he could hand out the cash on an emergency basis. People just want to be political instead of practical.

10 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yes, and the sky is green.

This is a reality whether you like it or not. I am right of center and have been so for over 20 years. The Republicans were content to ignore normal people for a long time. This time is different. In addition, he doesn't like the BOMB BOMB BOMB crowd. He is really messing up a lot of money related to wars on both sides of the aisle. The Republican establishment hates him, but he has the ability to split the party if they don't cooperate and start his own and the Republicans would never win the presidency ever again. Presidential politics is where the big money sloshes around.

The other reality is that transit spending is good for the economy if used correctly. It isn't useful to just bailout agencies on a revenue basis. Agencies have to be bailed out on the operating AND capital sides of their books because the capital spending is what stimulates domestic industry. It is also not that big of a number (compared to other industries) to keep transit functional. It is an easy argument to make to everyone. The question is whether people in large liberal cities like transit more than they hate the president. So far, that is proving NOT to be the case and that is what imperils this aid package.

What VG8 is facing is bigger than a 50% cut in express bus service citywide. That number is going to be more like 70%. Remember, there is a massive express bus order that needs to be placed right now to replace the next round of buses reaching the end of their useful lives. The MTA would discontinue most of the express bus service outside of SI, retire the problem child buses, and consolidate the newer buses on SI. Democrats AND Republicans use express buses and if you try to pull him to a side, he won't be able to build a bipartisan coalition.

2 hours ago, JAzumah said:

This is a reality whether you like it or not. I am right of center and have been so for over 20 years. The Republicans were content to ignore normal people for a long time. This time is different. In addition, he doesn't like the BOMB BOMB BOMB crowd. He is really messing up a lot of money related to wars on both sides of the aisle. The Republican establishment hates him, but he has the ability to split the party if they don't cooperate and start his own and the Republicans would never win the presidency ever again. Presidential politics is where the big money sloshes around.

I don't know what reality you live in, because Trump's policies and his record fall in line with many of the standard establishment Republicans in congress. His rhetoric sounds more populist in nature, but that's just that, rhetoric, and it doesn't match up with what he actually does. 

3 hours ago, JAzumah said:

I would have liked to see more infrastructure happen, but that gets really difficult when the people you are working with are trying to destroy you. We needed the wall AND Gateway and we only got the wall because Schumer decided not to play ball. 

I support legalizing marijuana, but that does not belong in a COVID bill. Neither does a bailout of the Illinois pension system. These are just two examples of the pork stuffed into the House's second COVID bill. That is not a good starting point for negotiations. I believe the House's Problem Solvers proposal has a much better chance of passing the Senate. There are some GOP senators that want to jam the president up, but their inability to move a bill that the entire country is clamoring for is putting their Senate majority in danger. They will have to do something useful or they are done.

Okay, this is just contradicting. You're blaming Schumer for not wanting "play ball" with Trump to get the Gateway Tunnel money unless he caves in for the wall, but then later criticize marijuana legalization and the Illnois pension system bailout provisions being "pork", so which is it? You can't have both of these stances simultaneously and consider yourself consistent on this front. 

2 hours ago, JAzumah said:

The other reality is that transit spending is good for the economy if used correctly. It isn't useful to just bailout agencies on a revenue basis. Agencies have to be bailed out on the operating AND capital sides of their books because the capital spending is what stimulates domestic industry. It is also not that big of a number (compared to other industries) to keep transit functional. It is an easy argument to make to everyone. The question is whether people in large liberal cities like transit more than they hate the president. So far, that is proving NOT to be the case and that is what imperils this aid package.

What VG8 is facing is bigger than a 50% cut in express bus service citywide. That number is going to be more like 70%. Remember, there is a massive express bus order that needs to be placed right now to replace the next round of buses reaching the end of their useful lives. The MTA would discontinue most of the express bus service outside of SI, retire the problem child buses, and consolidate the newer buses on SI. Democrats AND Republicans use express buses and if you try to pull him to a side, he won't be able to build a bipartisan coalition.

This is not about liking or hating the president, and honestly, if any president is going to make decisions like that based on which states/regions are most loyal, then that person is not fit to be president. Not everyone agrees on everything, but the role of the president is to lead the nation as a whole, and not favor other areas as a whole. In the case of funding for public transit, a bill and an agreement can be done on its own merits (meaning, within the scope of public transit only and its related impacts).  If Trump is not willing to agree to fund public transit within its own merits, then he really doesn't believe in it or care about it. It's that simple.  

Like I said, I don't care what political leaning that person is, if they genuinely want to fight to allocate funding for the MTA, by all means go ahead. That is a positive form of bipartisanship. What's not bipartisanship, is someone stating they would be willing to allocate transit funding under the condition that they get something in return that's completely unrelated to transit funding.  That's a compromise, and it isn't genuine at all. I applaud VG8 in his advocacy efforts, and I just wish that something beneficial comes out of it. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

This thread pretty much shows why we DON'T discuss politics in the advocacy groups. There are three different groups working together on this event, I'm sure that politically, we have different views personally, but those things must be put aside. We are inviting Republican and Democratic elected officials, as the issue at hand needs support from both sides. We bave several comments about policies. Stick with the facts. That's what we're doing. The (MTA) is an important economic factor here in NYC, and without it, the economy will struggle to recover. The economic data supports that. There are some people that simply cannot put their personal beliefs aside for the overall good of the City, which is essentially what we are doing. During our conference call, we made a point to be sure that we kept everything neutral. The discussion was all about how we're going to call attention to this pressing issue, not the Republicans do this and Democrats do that. That doesn't get anything done.