Call to Action Event to Fund MTA

Via Garibaldi 8

18 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

If I wore a t-shirt for months that said "Science is Real," and today you saw me at a fundraiser for the Flat Earth Society, I think you'd say, hey man, why the change of heart? An avowed Trump supporter holding a rally on behalf of the stimulus bill (which Trump has let die) is a similar 180º. So that's why I'm curious.

Actually I would've taken it to the DM instead of distracting further purpose of the post if I was that interested.

And if someone was telling me after I didn't take it to the DMs that I started an "unnecessary fight" and there's 12 hours of posts showing the salience of that accusation, this wouldn't be a part of my reply:

45 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

My friend, I've been on this forum long enough to remember when VG8's loud all red-lettered "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" was attached to every post he made. Nobody else trumpeted politics so loudly – I certainly never put my affiliation on every post.

So now can we get back on topic, or will I need to ask @Via Garibaldi 8 to post it again and then turn off replies?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Actually I would've taken it to the DM instead of distracting further purpose of the post if I was that interested.

And if someone was telling me after I didn't take it to the DMs that I started an "unnecessary fight" and there's 12 hours of posts showing the salience of that accusation, this wouldn't be a part of my reply:

Dunno, seems to me like the 12 hours of posts led to a pretty interesting conversation and really revealed how true the point was: that politics are directly connected to the bill's passing.

47 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So now can we get back on topic, or will I need to ask @Via Garibaldi 8 to post it again and then turn off replies?

You're gonna erase the entire conversation, including @JAzumah and everybody else's points, just to prove a point and talk to me like I'm a little kid? Alright, you can do what you wanna do – you can take the whole thing down. Sometimes I think Dante had the right idea getting the hell out of here...

Edited by MHV9218

6 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

Why don't they make all Staten Island local buses free, including the S53/S93/S79, so express bus users are financially incentivized to take those instead?  People can transfer to the SIR to the ferry for quicker service if needed.   Those who work in lower Manhattan would essentially get to work for free if they took the free local bus then the ferry.  Would likely save the MTA a lot more money than running extra super-expensive express buses.

The cost-efficiency of the express bus system (at least pre-COVID) was similar to that of the local bus system. And in any case, the local bus system doesn't work for a lot of Manhattan-bound commuters. Back when local buses were free, as much as I would've liked to use them to get to work, I just didn't have the extra time.

8 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Broader picture, I actually think we'll find that the remote economy is less total than many of us expected. Already many companies – particular white-collar – are observing that productivity has fallen. Lots are insisting their workers return. The entire real estate sector is adamant about a return. Yes, remote work has increased, but I certainly wouldn't expect a permanent relocation if downtown/midtown offices remain open. 

8 hours ago, JAzumah said:

Remote work lowers productivity for everyone but your top performers. The question is whether the cost savings is worth it. I think the jury is still out on that.

Maybe for some, but for my office it has made us more productive and flexible. If an issue comes up at 2am or on a weekend, it can be resolved with a quick email. If something comes up at 5:30pm when I left at 5pm, no need to try to track people down on their commute home. We can log back in and take care of it. It's up to management to set the goals and say "this is the amount of work I expect you to have accomplished at the end of the day".

15 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The cost-efficiency of the express bus system (at least pre-COVID) was similar to that of the local bus system. And in any case, the local bus system doesn't work for a lot of Manhattan-bound commuters. Back when local buses were free, as much as I would've liked to use them to get to work, I just didn't have the extra time.

Maybe for some, but for my office it has made us more productive and flexible. If an issue comes up at 2am or on a weekend, it can be resolved with a quick email. If something comes up at 5:30pm when I left at 5pm, no need to try to track people down on their commute home. We can log back in and take care of it. It's up to management to set the goals and say "this is the amount of work I expect you to have accomplished at the end of the day".

Ha, please. I'm in management and I more or less work on my own schedule. Those of us in management don't really have set hours. Prior to COVID, it was pretty common for me to work 50 hours or more, though not every week. Working from home has been great. Conference calls can be done at home, and being able to just work on my own schedule is great. I will likely do a mix of work from home and work in the office here and there for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Ha, please. I'm in management and I more or less work on my own schedule. Those of us in management don't really have set hours. Prior to COVID, it was pretty common for me to work 50 hours or more, though not every week. Working from home has been great. Conference calls can be done at home, and being able to just work on my own schedule is great. I will likely do a mix of work from home and work in the office here and there for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for proving my point Mr. Hah Please 

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Thank you for proving my point Mr. Hah Please 

What exactly is your point? Nothing has really changed for me. I still work my own hours the way I did before, it's just that more is done from home. You have people over you cracking the whip. I don't, so I'm not sure what your point is. I know what's expected of me, I hire who I want to work with and decide who to fire or not work with, so it's pretty straight forward.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What exactly is your point? Nothing has really changed for me. I still work my own hours the way I did before, it's just that more is done from home. You have people over you cracking the whip. I don't, so I'm not sure what your point is. I know what's expected of me, I hire who I want to work with and decide who to fire or not work with, so it's pretty straight forward.

So you're pretty much using this as an excuse to brag about how you're in management, as if the rest of us care. 🙄

My point is that work from home doesn't inherently have to result in decreased productivity (and productivity applies to all employees, managers included, even up to the CEO). Everyone has emails that need to be answered, meetings that need to be attended, and goals that need to be met. 

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

My point is that work from home doesn't inherently have to result in decreased productivity (and productivity applies to all employees, managers included, even up to the CEO). Everyone has emails that need to be answered, meetings that need to be attended, and goals that need to be met. 

Inherently, no.... Realistically though, different story.....

My take on this, is that It takes a certain type of person to be focused enough to perform their jobs just as (or more) prolifically within the confines of their own home, compared to getting up everyday to travel to some other location.... It's one of those little things in life that tends to get easily ignored, but the latter does tend to give people more of a sense of purpose.... It's why you had/have some people being defiant about not bringing work, home.... I mean sure, you can say that's a mantra of the older generation, but it is still pervasive...

Edited by B35 via Church
curtailed... topic's gone o/t far enough.

@B35 via Church That's why I mentioned that it's up to management to try to enforce a certain level of productivity. But in any case, the way I see it, somebody who is unproductive at home is likely also unproductive in the office. (Case in point, one of my coworkers who walked around the office making small talk pre-COVID is the same one who will respond to emails at 12pm that were due at 9:00am-9:30am post-COVID...until management caught on and put the pressure on)

59 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church That's why I mentioned that it's up to management to try to enforce a certain level of productivity. But in any case, the way I see it, somebody who is unproductive at home is likely also unproductive in the office. (Case in point, one of my coworkers who walked around the office making small talk pre-COVID is the same one who will respond to emails at 12pm that were due at 9:00am-9:30am post-COVID...until management caught on and put the pressure on)

I don't want to get into different managing styles, but what I will say is that the flat out unproductive worker is the extreme case here.... I don't think anyone here's defending that.... For all I care, the unproductive worker (regardless of work environment) should be the person out of a job... Millions of unemployed, or furloughed workers in the hunt for any/better opportunities are chomping at the bit, waiting in the wings to take their place.....

20 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So you're pretty much using this as an excuse to brag about how you're in management, as if the rest of us care. 🙄

No, you're too busy in own world to get the point (as usual). <_< You said it's up to management to decide how productive employees are.  You're basically saying that workers are lazy unless they are micromanaged, which is absurd. Maybe that's how it is where you work, and maybe that's how you work, but where I have worked, it is pretty much understood what has to be done and no one is cracking the whip. That was my point.  I have never worked some place where I was micromanaged and never will.

44 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No, you're too busy in own world to get the point (as usual). <_< You said it's up to management to decide how productive employees are.  You're basically saying that workers are lazy unless they are micromanaged, which is absurd. Maybe that's how it is where you work, and maybe that's how you work, but where I have worked, it is pretty much understood what has to be done and no one is cracking the whip. That was my point.  I have never worked some place where I was micromanaged and never will.

Yup, just keep on projecting. Someone who needs to rub it in your face that they're your boss is a pretty crappy boss to work for. 

Every job has goals to meet. That is literally the point of the job. In a good workplace you are allowed some leeway in how you choose to meet those goals, but in the end, you have to meet (or exceed) them. I never said that micromanagement is a good way to run a workplace or imply that it is how my workplace operates. 

4 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I never said that micromanagement is a good way to run a workplace or imply that it is how my workplace operates. 

It's up to management to set the goals and say "this is the amount of work I expect you to have accomplished at the end of the day

That's called micromanagement where I come from... Apparently you don't understand the concept. Smh.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's called micromanagement where I come from... Apparently you don't understand the concept. Smh.

Again, I clarified. But go ahead and think what you want. At the end of the day, whether you like it or not you agree with my point that work-from-home doesn't need to result in productivity losses.

And relating that to the original point made in the thread, it will have some significant impact on transit ridership and commuting patterns.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

15 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Again, I clarified. But go ahead and think what you want. At the end of the day, whether you like it or not you agree with my point that work-from-home doesn't need to result in productivity losses.

And relating that to the original point made in the thread, it will have some significant impact on transit ridership and commuting patterns.

You "clarified"... Backtracking... lol

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thecity.nyc/2020/9/27/21459070/mta-busways-transit-staten-island-buses

MTA Hits Brakes on High-Speed Busways for Transit-Starved Staten Island

BY CLIFFORD MICHELCMICHEL@THECITY.NYC  SEP 27, 2020, 7:48PM EDT

Plans for two high-speed busways that would shorten the commutes of Staten Islanders living in transit-starved areas have been put on pause indefinitely by the MTA amid the agency’s crushing budget crisis.

The busways –– meant to help riders who face one of the country’s longest commute times –– are two of many projects that were supposed to be funded through the MTA’s $51 billion 2020-2024 capital program. But back in June, the transit agency put major capital projects on hold as it seeks a so-far elusive $12 billion bailout from the federal government.

On Thursday, a politically diverse coalition of activists, transit unions and politicians rallied at the South Shore’s Eltingville Transit Center to push the White House and Congress to rescue the MTA.

“If your family relies on public transit, this is your fight. But if you don’t like sitting in traffic, this is your fight because we need more buses,” Councilmember Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island) said at the rally. “Too many Americans rely on the MTA each day and this is one of the only institutions in the United States of America that is really too big to fail.”

The MTA was slated to release a draft environmental impact statement this month for what’s called the North Shore Bus Rapid Transit project. The new route would travel along old railroad lines, elevated viaducts and dedicated bus lanes to pick up commuters in West and North Shore neighborhoods.

About 73% of transit commuters on the North Shore use buses that serve an area with the lowest car ownership rate on Staten Island, according to American Community Survey data.

Waiting for Years

Assemblymember Charles Fall (D-Staten Island) told THE CITY Friday he understood that the project needs federal funding but was frustrated that the MTA couldn’t say how long the delay would last.

“The city actually gives us a timeline on how long [a project] is going to be delayed. That’s what we’re looking for with the MTA,” said Fall. “Don’t just tell us it’s going to be delayed and not tell us how long it will be delayed. We’ve been waiting to see this project up and going for years.”

Luz Roque has been taking the S46 bus route on South Avenue for the past five years to get to the West Shore Plaza and the Staten Island Ferry, where the Bus Rapid Transit line would terminate. But she said the current routes available make it difficult for her to plan trips.

“I have a lot of stress in my life and this bus is one of the worst ones,” said Roque, 62, of Port Richmond. “It really is. It’s not fast enough and it doesn’t show up on time.”

The second project put on hold is the West Shore Alternative Analysis, which evaluated transportation options to serve the borough’s West and South shores.

The MTA was supposed to choose between two high-speed busway projects by April. One option would link Staten Island’s South Shore to Newark Airport and the other would connect the South Shore to Bayonne, N.J.

‘Our Commuting Nightmare’

An MTA spokesperson noted that all capital projects have been thrown into limbo as the agency seeks a federal bailout.

“This is a yet another stark example highlighting why it’s critical that the federal government provide $12 billion in emergency aid to keep the MTA running through the end of 2021,” said Shams Tarek, a spokesperson for the MTA, in a statement.

The transit agency has threatened to cut 40% of train and bus service if a federal funding infusion does not arrive. As THE CITY recently reported, the MTA’s all-or-nothing gambit has garnered criticism — including from a board member who says officials need to get a Plan B in place, given the Trump administration’s growing antipathy toward New York.

Rep. Max Rose (D-Staten Island/Brooklyn) told THE CITY in a statement that Republicans in Washington need to act quickly.

“The longer New York goes without federal aid we so desperately need, the further back we’re going to slip into our commuting nightmare,” said Rose, a freshman rep running for re-election.

“It’s why I’ve been fighting tooth and nail to get leaders in both parties to act, but the fact of the matter is Mitch McConnell and Republicans in Congress want New York to go bankrupt and couldn’t care less if Islanders are stranded without transit,” he added. “It’s disgusting partisan politics that will put people’s livelihoods on the line.”

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this thread: as many of us warned, this was always an acutely political issue. Congress was moving towards an agreement, in part thanks to the advocacy of groups like this one, but President Trump personally ended any chance of a stimulus and doomed public transit across the US, as well as state and local economies and people in need of support countrywide. As he writes, he personally intervened and told Meadows and Congress to stop negotiating. 

I will quote his Tweets directly:

It was a nice effort on everybody's part to advocate for this. But it's too late. 

12 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Just to update this thread: as many of us warned, this was always an acutely political issue. Congress was moving towards an agreement, in part thanks to the advocacy of groups like this one, but President Trump personally ended any chance of a stimulus and doomed public transit across the US, as well as state and local economies and people in need of support countrywide. As he writes, he personally intervened and told Meadows and Congress to stop negotiating. 

I will quote his Tweets directly:

It was a nice effort on everybody's part to advocate for this. But it's too late. 

This is not the latest update. The latest is talks have re-started again. Trump was on FOX Business this morning talks about the negotiations. He stressed that he wants a deal, and believe both sides will eventually work out something. The (MTA) is currently exploring borrowing funds to get them through until some sort of federal ais is sent their way. That is still a possibility. As far as the advocacy groups pushing for funding, I believe the Riders Alliance is doing another event on the subways, but my group and the other express bus groups will not be partaking in those.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This is not the latest update. The latest is talks have re-started again. Trump was on FOX Business this morning talks about the negotiations. He stressed that he wants a deal, and believe both sides will eventually work out something. The (MTA) is currently exploring borrowing funds to get them through until some sort of federal ais is sent their way. That is still a possibility. As far as the advocacy groups pushing for funding, I believe the Riders Alliance is doing another event on the subways, but my group and the other express bus groups will not be partaking in those.

They have not 're-started.' What he proposed, having tanked the markets and humiliated himself, is that they negotiate a separate deal with checks only and an airline bailout. No state and local. No chance in hell that is ever happening – Democrats won't, and shouldn't, agree to that.

17 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

They have not 're-started.' What he proposed, having tanked the markets and humiliated himself, is that they negotiate a separate deal with checks only and an airline bailout. No state and local. No chance in hell that is ever happening – Democrats won't, and shouldn't, agree to that.

To continue to what was said is that Pelosi will NOT agree to any short term bailouts. If it doesn’t have state + local funding along with transportation it’s a non-starter. 

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

That's not what was stated this morning. This morning it was reported that talks have resumed. Doesn't take much to pick up the phone.

Source: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mnuchin-and-pelosi-resume-discussions-after-trump-changes-of-course-on-fiscal-stimulus-11602082017

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's not what was stated this morning. This morning it was reported that talks have resumed. Doesn't take much to pick up the phone.

Source: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mnuchin-and-pelosi-resume-discussions-after-trump-changes-of-course-on-fiscal-stimulus-11602082017

Right, and quoted in that very article:

"Speaker Pelosi & Secretary Mnuchin spoke by phone at 9:33 a.m. The Secretary inquired about a standalone airlines bill. The Speaker reminded him that Republicans blocked that bill on Friday & asked him to review the DeFazio bill so that they could have an informed conversation."

2 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Right, and quoted in that very article:

"Speaker Pelosi & Secretary Mnuchin spoke by phone at 9:33 a.m. The Secretary inquired about a standalone airlines bill. The Speaker reminded him that Republicans blocked that bill on Friday & asked him to review the DeFazio bill so that they could have an informed conversation."

Yeah, still doesn't mean they aren't talking. Per FOX Business Network, Trump was interviewed by Maria Bartiromo and he stated that they resumed talks. Now whether or not there's progress is another matter.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, still doesn't mean they aren't talking. Per FOX Business Network, Trump was interviewed by Maria Bartiromo and he stated that they resumed talks. Now whether or not there's progress is another matter.

I don't take nor accept FOX BUSINESS NEWS AS A VIABLE SOURCE OF INFORMATION.... They are as bad as THE NEW YORK POST.  (SAME COMPANY).

Pelosi & Mnuchin may be talking, but that doesn't mean anything is going to move. That opportunity was Last Friday 10/2/20 and on Tuesday 10/6/20 Trump said the deal is DEAD.. Pelosi even said that the trump's tweet is a non-starter and that congress does not respond to tweets.  Let's see what happens this friday 10/9/20.  Congress is out until 11/4/20, and Senate is out until 10/19/20.

In my honest opinion kiss saving the (MTA) goodbye since Trump is holding the money hostage.

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I don't take nor accept FOX BUSINESS NEWS AS A VIABLE SOURCE OF INFORMATION.... They are as bad as THE NEW YORK POST.  (SAME COMPANY).

Pelosi & Mnuchin may be talking, but that doesn't mean anything is going to move. That opportunity was Last Friday 10/2/20 and on Tuesday 10/6/20 Trump said the deal is DEAD.. Pelosi even said that the trump's tweet is a non-starter and that congress does not respond to tweets.  Let's see what happens this friday 10/9/20.  Congress is out until 11/4/20, and Senate is out until 10/19/20.

In my honest opinion kiss saving the (MTA) goodbye since Trump is holding the money hostage.

lol Wouldn't make a difference who the outlet was, since the president was interviewed in person and stated that negotiations resumed.

In any event, here's another source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/pelosi-and-mnuchin-to-discuss-coronavirus-aid-for-airlines-11602165440