Call to Action Event to Fund MTA

Via Garibaldi 8

Did you listen to that "interview"? It was stark raving mad. Even the Republicans on FOX were startled by it. I don't know how you could take a single grain of policy from it. Anyway, the Pelosi-Mnunchin thing relates to what I just quoted – Repubs already killed that deal. And besides, that deal involves nothing for state and local aid like the MTA needs.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Lex said:

All I will say about Trump is that he will say anything he thinks will benefit him, even if it flies in the face of reality or leads to immediate self-contradiction.

BTW did anyone see the Twitter rant of his a few days ago ? Dude is totally off the rails. My opinion though. Carry on.

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Did you listen to that "interview"? It was stark raving mad. Even the Republicans on FOX were startled by it. I don't know how you could take a single grain of policy from it. Anyway, the Pelosi-Mnunchin thing relates to what I just quoted – Repubs already killed that deal. And besides, that deal involves nothing for state and local aid like the MTA needs.

As was noted before, the (MTA) is looking into possible loans to hold them over until perhaps stimulus is sent there way at a later date. You just can't help yourself with the bipartisan BS. Smh...

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As was noted before, the (MTA) is looking into possible loans to hold them over until perhaps stimulus is sent there way at a later date. You just can't help yourself with the bipartisan BS. Smh...

Please stop saying it's 'partisan' when I am quite literally quoting the President and the Speaker. These are the facts of the matter. He killed the deal, and then he backpedaled and proposed something the Republicans had already rejected. Then he said we need something bigger than Pelosi wanted, after rejecting her deal for it being too big. Again, this is all verifiable, I am just going off his Tweets and public comments. Nobody has any idea what he's proposing at this point. 

Now, it was my opinion that Trump sounded 'stark raving mad' in his interview, which you're welcome to disagree with.

11 hours ago, Lex said:

All I will say about Trump is that he will say anything he thinks will benefit him, even if it flies in the face of reality or leads to immediate self-contradiction.

I simply don't have the hatred for Trump that many people do (matter fact, I'm rather indifferent to him), but he's most certainly a narcissist.... Textbook.

12 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Please stop saying it's 'partisan' when I am quite literally quoting the President and the Speaker. These are the facts of the matter. He killed the deal, and then he backpedaled and proposed something the Republicans had already rejected. Then he said we need something bigger than Pelosi wanted, after rejecting her deal for it being too big. Again, this is all verifiable, I am just going off his Tweets and public comments. Nobody has any idea what he's proposing at this point. 

Now, it was my opinion that Trump sounded 'stark raving mad' in his interview, which you're welcome to disagree with.

You are just trying to take jabs as usual, and pretending that everything you're saying is quoting Trump. lol

With ridership likely to remain extremely depressed far longer (at least until theaters/concerts resume, which as of now won't be until May 31st at the earliest), why is the MTA still running pre-pandemic levels of service?  I used to ride the bus all the time, but I stopped on August 31st once fares resumed, and now use my bike daily to get around.

5 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I quoted his Tweets. Should I repost them?

No need to quote anything. I watched the interview. Just stop trying to mix in quotes with your insults of the man. Republicans were never fond of Trump, so it's not as if this is a new thing. They don't have another formidable candidate that can win. That's the truth, and they know it. lol

5 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

With ridership likely to remain extremely depressed far longer (at least until theaters/concerts resume, which as of now won't be until May 31st at the earliest), why is the MTA still running pre-pandemic levels of service?  I used to ride the bus all the time, but I stopped on August 31st once fares resumed, and now use my bike daily to get around.

You obviously don't get the big picture. Riders are already complaining about poor service, and if the (MTA) cut service, it would mean longer waits, more crowded uses and trains, and people fleeing to their cars, leading to more cuts. That's why. Just because you stopped riding because you don't want to pay doesn't mean the City stops functioning. Ridership has slowly been increasing week by week.

Also, plenty of other things are still open, which people need transit to get to. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

10 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

Well, it's great that you're getting around by way of other methods.... However, while things aren't what/how they were pre-pandemic, ridership still isn't as weak as you're apparently conveying it to be, though.

The MTA subway/bus figures at  https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership  are extremely depressing and suggest we may not see a rebound until later in 2021 or sometime in 2022 when theaters/concerts start up again. 

Nevertheless, the MTA is likely waiting until after the election to determine what plan of action it will need to take.

4 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

The MTA subway/bus figures at  https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership  are extremely depressing and suggest we may not see a rebound until later in 2021 or sometime in 2022 when theaters/concerts start up again. 

Nevertheless, the MTA is likely waiting until after the election to determine what plan of action it will need to take.

Nobody's doubting that there are ridership losses....

5 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

Stop yelling the same crap. There's more ridership that is being lost from people working from home more so than the theatre/concert crowd.

45 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Stop yelling the same crap. There's more ridership that is being lost from people working from home more so than the theatre/concert crowd.

Yeah, this notion that the quote-unquote theater/concert crowd makes up for a significant majority of bus ridership city-wide, is a blatant fallacy.... Those are the main mf-ers taking subways or taxi's, not buses....

34 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, this notion that the quote-unquote theater/concert crowd makes up for a significant majority of bus ridership city-wide, is a blatant fallacy.... Those are the main mf-ers taking subways or taxi's, not buses....

Exactly. lol Or they come in on the express bus. The QM6 crowd from the North Shore Towers, and the BxM2 people for Lincoln Center are a few examples. Most will hop in a taxi though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 3:06 AM, B35 via Church said:

I mean it's laughable to suggest a few theaters on Broadway even make up a majority of retail/service in this city, let alone all the ridership.

More people worked in restaurants and retail than probably go to theaters total every day.

With a Biden presidency looking more likely, elected officials and the MTA are likely counting on a large bailout becoming more likely as well. 

As an aside, would be interesting to know the approx % of paying local bus customers who ONLY take a bus (not using a free xfer to/from subway), to understand how local bus fare collection effective August 31st affected MTA finances.  Also, would the bus ridership drop from 1.3M in July/August to 1.0M now (due to bus fare collection resuming) affect the amount of federal subsidy?  Put another way, if most people riding local buses are getting a free xfer from subway, why bother to enforce local bus fare collection, so that you attract more riders & a larger federal subsidy?

8 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

With a Biden presidency looking more likely, elected officials and the MTA are likely counting on a large bailout becoming more likely as well. 

As an aside, would be interesting to know the approx % of paying local bus customers who ONLY take a bus (not using a free xfer to/from subway), to understand how local bus fare collection effective August 31st affected MTA finances.  Also, would the bus ridership drop from 1.3M in July/August to 1.0M now (due to bus fare collection resuming) affect the amount of federal subsidy?  Put another way, if most people riding local buses are getting a free xfer from subway, why bother to enforce local bus fare collection, so that you attract more riders & a larger federal subsidy?

That just reeks of fraud, especially since some buses are already equipped for OMNY.

15 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

In the Brooklyn bus redesign report, it said something like 1/3 took one bus, 1/3 transferred bus-bus, and 1/3 took bus-subway. But also keep in mind that on bus lines that parallel subway lines, making buses free but not the subway would distort the counts even moreso for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

In the Brooklyn bus redesign report, it said something like 1/3 took one bus, 1/3 transferred bus-bus, and 1/3 took bus-subway. But also keep in mind that on bus lines that parallel subway lines, making buses free but not the subway would distort the counts even moreso for obvious reasons.

Hopefully the redesigns even happen.

22 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

Even if Biden becomes president, there is no guarantee that the (MTA) will receive the bailout they are looking for. He can lobby and advocate for funding from Congress, but that's about it.

It's funny. I was speaking with someone that works down at 2 Broadway who may lose their job if the (MTA) doesn't receive funding, and we were talking unofficially about funding and how things were looking. The feeling was that things were looking bleak back then. The problem now is that despite talks of a stimulus package in December, it is not clear if the stimulus package will be big enough to include funding for things like the transit agencies across the country. The other possibility is they get funding, but not soon enough. The clock is still ticking. I do know that they are considering a short term loan to buy more time to see what happens, but that creates more problems and just adds to the growing debt problems they already have.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's funny. I was speaking with someone that works down at 2 Broadway who may lose their job if the (MTA) doesn't receive funding, and we were talking unofficially about funding and how things were looking. The feeling was that things were looking bleak back then. The problem now is that despite talks of a stimulus package in December, it is not clear if the stimulus package will be big enough to include funding for things like the transit agencies across the country. The other possibility is they get funding, but not soon enough. The clock is still ticking. I do know that they are considering a short term loan to buy more time to see what happens, but that creates more problems and just adds to the growing debt problems they already have.

The irony is that (MTA)'s bailout to keep NY moving is dependent upon the Dems winning two Senate races in Georgia in January.