Plan in place for reducing delays

UlmerPark B6

Plan in place for reducing delays

by patrick arden / metro new york

OCT 28, 2008

15700.jpg

Getting the trains to run on time has become more difficult in the subway, as record ridership pushes against a system with many lines already at capacity during rush hours.

Ridership has grown 58 percent since 1982, and 12 lines are running at capacity during rush hours. Flip-up seats will start showing up on some lettered trains in a pilot program early next year. “Could be the E,” Roberts said.

“On-time performance has been in a state of decline since 2004,” said New York City Transit president Howard Roberts, who yesterday unveiled a multi-pronged campaign to fix the problem.

Long term, Roberts said, “we need to invest heavily” in such projects as the Second Avenue Subway and the automated system known as communications-based train control, which would allow more trains to run on existing tracks. But in a new era of belt-tightening, Roberts is taking a back-to-the-basics approach.

Standing room only

Finding a seat at rush-hour will be more difficult, as a pilot program outfits newer trains with flip-up seats. Roberts said this quick-fix could expand capacity by 10 percent. “We have an opportunity to clear platforms that otherwise would not be cleared,” he said. After rush hour, seats would go back down. Expect to see the flip-up seats by early 2009 on heavily congested lettered lines.

Line general managers

Nearly a year after assigning individuals to oversee the L and 7 lines in order to improve service and accountability, NYC Transit will now put one person in charge of each of the numbered lines, “the most heavily used part of the system,” Robert said. “It’s basically their railroad. They are in charge of all the resources that are allocated to that particular line” — workers as well as equipment — “and shifting them around is essentially up to their discretion.”

By the numbers

Just as the CompStat system allowed the NYPD to pinpoint and tackle crime, Roberts’ SubStat system is meant to modernize recordkeeping to reduce delays. Yesterday he released three different measures of on-time performance to better determine the level of service riders are getting and the exact causes for delays. This year the subway’s weekday on-time performance is just 78.4 percent, 90.2 percent excluding sick passengers and other factors beyond NYC Transit’s control.

Train delays exist because of idiots that are too impatient to wait for the next train start holding the doors to get on or idiots that are inside the trains holding the doors for people that aren't even close to the train.

OH PLEASE GOD NOT THE (E). At least don't make it the first line to get them. Horrible idea. Doing it on the (E) isn't a bad idea in itself, but the (MTA) will get sued by Al Sharpton and all the dumb Queens residents who can't stop bitching and moaning about how their (E) is the most neglected line in the city. Not to mention the "de facto racism" argument that the straphangers all seem to think true. Do it on the (6) instead, or on another line first that doesn't have these problems, like the other IRT lines. Preferably an express so people could ride the local isntead.

And while I'm on this rant, subway cars should have much more advertising by SubTalk displaying advice that teaches etiquette and might combat the idiots that ride the subway today. Examples:

PLEASE SAY EXCUSE ME

IF SOMEONE SAYS "EXCUSE ME", MOVE

MOVE ALL THE WAY INTO THE CAR

DO NOT BLOCK THE DOORS

DON'T TRY TO FIT YOURSELF INTO THE TRAIN IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN'T

DO NOT TAKE UP UNNECESSARY SPACE

And the list goes on.

OH PLEASE GOD NOT THE (E). At least don't make it the first line to get them. Horrible idea. Doing it on the (E) isn't a bad idea in itself, but the (MTA) will get sued by Al Sharpton and all the dumb Queens residents who can't stop bitching and moaning about how their (E) is the most neglected line in the city. Not to mention the "de facto racism" argument that the straphangers all seem to think true. Do it on the (6) instead, or on another line first that doesn't have these problems, like the other IRT lines. Preferably an express so people could ride the local isntead.

And while I'm on this rant, subway cars should have much more advertising by SubTalk displaying advice that teaches etiquette and might combat the idiots that ride the subway today. Examples:

PLEASE SAY EXCUSE ME

DO NOT BLOCK THE DOORS

And the list goes on.

Honestly, use your common sense!

If you are not getting off at the next stop, GET OUT FROM THE DOORS.

Instead of repeating the SAME DUMB announcements like: "If you see a suspicious package or activity on the platform or train, do not keep it to yourself, then a police officer or an MTA employee. Remain alert and have a safe day" or "Ladies and Gentlemen, please help keep the subway system clean and litter free. Please use trash receptacles. Thank you for riding on MTA New York City Transit" or "Ladies and Gentlemen, not only is it unsafe, it is a violation to ride or walk between cars, except in an emergency or when directed by a police officer or a crew member." &c. we could say: "Ladies and Gentlemen, please use your common sense and move to the middle of the car, so that others can get in. THANK YOU" or "Ladies and Gentlemen, please remember that the subway system is for civilised people. Please do not hold doors, spread your legs wide or stand like a living statue in front of doors. Thank you."

PLEASE SAY EXCUSE ME

DO NOT BLOCK THE DOORS

And the list goes on.

I don't think they can do it on the (6) because 1) those are NTT seats 2) it said lettered lines.

Archived