Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
lrs856

MTA CONDUCTOR EXTRA

Recommended Posts

I've been working 3 years now and I am still an extra, how much longer am I supposed to be an extra for?

Also my sick days were frozen - how long is that in effect for?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're gonna stay extra until you gain enough seniority to not pick the extra list.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

You're gonna stay extra until you gain enough seniority to not pick the extra list.

How long is that?

how much time is needed to ahieve seniority?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, lrs856 said:

How long is that?

how much time is needed to ahieve seniority?

Depends there's no timetable for things like that..

I was extra extra for nearly 5 years...

BTW they "froze" your sick time? Can you elborate?

Edited by RTOMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the point where there are more jobs available than conductors, you will be able to pick a job.  But be careful for what you wish for.  Your first pick is lousy because you are picking the table scraps and you may have to travel to places you don't like to report to for the entire pick.  One guy does not pick: the very last guy has to take the very last job/RDO relief job/flagging job.

As for having your sick time frozen,  add me to the "club" of not knowing what you are talking about.  Unless you are confused about being on the "Sick Control List".  On that you need doctors lines for when you book off sick, even for 1 day.  If not, you don't get paid and lose the day from your bank, plus probably get into "hot water".  That's all I can say about that since I was never on Sick Control.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 4:01 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

At the point where there are more jobs available than conductors, you will be able to pick a job.  But be careful for what you wish for.  Your first pick is lousy because you are picking the table scraps and you may have to travel to places you don't like to report to for the entire pick.  One guy does not pick: the very last guy has to take the very last job/RDO relief job/flagging job.

As for having your sick time frozen,  add me to the "club" of not knowing what you are talking about.  Unless you are confused about being on the "Sick Control List".  On that you need doctors lines for when you book off sick, even for 1 day.  If not, you don't get paid and lose the day from your bank, plus probably get into "hot water".  That's all I can say about that since I was never on Sick Control.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:01 PM, RTOMan said:

Depends there's no timetable for things like that..

I was extra extra for nearly 5 years...

BTW they "froze" your sick time? Can you elborate?

Quote

YES!!!! Sick control is the term. Sorry was drawing a blank. I had broke my toe and used up all my sick time to recover so I was put on sick control, it's been a year since that happened.

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last night we finished early and my coworker said we could leave early because we were on a penalty job? so we left 13 minutes before our 10 hr shift was up.

 

Is it true we can leave early if working a penalty job? what is a penalty job?

 

Sorry still learning the ropes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lrs856 said:

last night we finished early and my coworker said we could leave early because we were on a penalty job? so we left 13 minutes before our 10 hr shift was up.

 

Is it true we can leave early if working a penalty job? what is a penalty job?

 

Sorry still learning the ropes

I would advise against leaving even 5 minutes early anymore.  I am surprised the person with the payroll let you sign out 13 minutes early.  They could have called you (and/or your partner) for a random during that time (very unlikely but better not to take a chance).  IDK if they still have the same rule as when I was there that you don't have to sign out if you have a penalty job anymore, but I always signed out just the same.  Plus within that 13 minutes time, Control could have called the terminal asking you about a (possible) incident on one of your intervals.  Now terminal supervision would be looking for you.  You would technically be still on the clock and now AWOL since you were not there to answer the inquiry.  Finally, don't you still have to scan your pass when you leave the terminal for home?  Excuse me for not knowing all the procedures because I have been retired going on 7 years. 

Edited by Bill from Maspeth
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I would advise against leaving even 5 minutes early anymore.  I am surprised the person with the payroll let you sign out 13 minutes early.  They could have called you (and/or your partner) for a random during that time (very unlikely but better not to take a chance).  IDK if they still have the same rule as when I was there that you don't have to sign out if you have a penalty job anymore, but I always signed out just the same.  Plus within that 13 minutes time, Control could have called the terminal asking you about a (possible) incident on one of your intervals.  Now terminal supervision would be looking for you.  You would technically be still on the clock and now AWOL since you were not there to answer the inquiry.  Finally, don't you still have to scan your pass when you leave the terminal for home?  Excuse me for not knowing all the procedures because I have been retired going on 7 years. 

we just sign in and out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lrs856 said:

last night we finished early and my coworker said we could leave early because we were on a penalty job? so we left 13 minutes before our 10 hr shift was up.

 

Is it true we can leave early if working a penalty job? what is a penalty job?

 

Sorry still learning the ropes

How is it that you have 3 years and don’t know these basic rules? Just genuinely asking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VIP said:

How is it that you have 3 years and don’t know these basic rules? Just genuinely asking...

After re-reading what hes saying I'm starting to wonder this myself....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, lrs856 said:

 

we just sign in and out

It's quite simple to stay out of trouble (101): SIGN IN on time so you won't be late and have your time cut; SIGN OUT at or after your time (with a late clear). 

NEVER SIGN OUT EARLY, EVEN IF THE SUPERVISOR WITH THE PAYROLL IS NOT LOOKING.  Because if you are being looked for after you're gone, THE SUPERVISOR GETS IN TROUBLE TOO!  And SUPERVISORS REMEMBER!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

After re-reading what hes saying I'm starting to wonder this myself....

I have a little over 2 years as a C/R and I’m able to pick jobs in both divisions. So yeah something isn’t adding up. 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 12:21 PM, lrs856 said:

last night we finished early and my coworker said we could leave early because we were on a penalty job? so we left 13 minutes before our 10 hr shift was up.

 

Is it true we can leave early if working a penalty job? what is a penalty job?

 

Sorry still learning the ropes

Um no. You just don"t have to sign out. Unless there's WAA at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.