NJ sues Academy Bus for defrauding NJT

mfs NJT459

35 minutes ago, Lex said:

Is it bad that I'm not surprised in the slightest?

Hell, I've read somewhere a good while back (not too long after the 2013 changes to some of our [as in, NYC's] bus routes) that Academy was pulling this shit with NJT, and even then I wasn't surprised..... smh....

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Hell, I've read somewhere a good while back (not too long after the 2013 changes to some of our [as in, NYC's] bus routes) that Academy was pulling this shit with NJT, and even then I wasn't surprised..... smh....

I remember this too. It's one of a few times Academy got caught playing fast and loose with NJT's buses. 

Question is, will this be the last straw? 

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Not surprised at all. Glad that (NJT) is taking action with regards to this action. There should be no reason for under reporting. Looks like serious charges in this case. 

Only wish that (MTA) would take the same action with regards to the SIM23/24. There’s been complaints with that for years. 

For SIM23/24, is the contract with MTA or the city's Economic Development Corporation?

On 11/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, mfs NJT459 said:

I'm surprised that Academy's contract with NJT actually allowed oversight and auditing.

(The NYC "private lines" never allowed the City to review or audit anything. In fact, the only audit I'm aware of was by the Comptroller, looked only at DOT's oversight and not at the companies themselves.)

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Wasn't it because they dont have enough buses? @Via Garibaldi 8

There are actually a few issues. One would be having enough buses. I believe there is enough space for the extra buses needed, but availability of buses was a big issue on Staten Island pre COVID. The plan was eventually for the (MTA) to take over though. I think with that bus order where Staten Island sees 50 new express buses, they would probably have enough to cover the SIM23 and SIM24.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are actually a few issues. One would be having enough buses. I believe there is enough space for the extra buses needed, but availability of buses was a big issue on Staten Island pre COVID. The plan was eventually for the (MTA) to take over though. I think with that bus order where Staten Island sees 50 new express buses, they would probably have enough to cover the SIM23 and SIM24.

It's money. The MTA is annoyed that everyone else gets money to do things except them. If they can get money from the city to do it, they will do it tomorrow. They have the equipment.

13 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Not surprised at all. Glad that (NJT) is taking action with regards to this action. There should be no reason for under reporting. Looks like serious charges in this case. 

Only wish that (MTA) would take the same action with regards to the SIM23/24. There’s been complaints with that for years. 

At this point, with the service running every 30-60 minutes, they would definitely not be able to get away with it. People would definitely file complaints, and rightfully so.

6 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

At this point, with the service running every 30-60 minutes, they would definitely not be able to get away with it. People would definitely file complaints, and rightfully so.

Copy on that notion. Just in general it’s disrespectful to exhibit that type of behavior on the expense of paying commuters utilizing bus service.  

18 hours ago, DaTransitMan4608 said:

I remember this too. It's one of a few times Academy got caught playing fast and loose with NJT's buses. 

Question is, will this be the last straw? 

If I were to surmise, I'd say it'll continue to persist until NJT completely cuts ties with Academy.....

On 11/18/2020 at 7:13 PM, B35 via Church said:

If I were to surmise, I'd say it'll continue to persist until NJT completely cuts ties with Academy.....

Well Gov. Murphy has cancelled the contract with Academy for the Middlesex County local routes, and has urged NJT to investigate

Wow, even reading the names of the people named in the suit sounds like a bunch of old-timey mafia guys. And that text message is priceless. 

I wonder if academy plays similar games with their private contracts (like their NYU buses I see running all over the city. I happened to see that one had a badly cracked window earlier this week but was still in service. I know I've also seen Columbia buses, but I'm not sure who operates those) 

41 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Wow, even reading the names of the people named in the suit sounds like a bunch of old-timey mafia guys. And that text message is priceless. 

I wonder if academy plays similar games with their private contracts (like their NYU buses I see running all over the city. I happened to see that one had a badly cracked window earlier this week but was still in service. I know I've also seen Columbia buses, but I'm not sure who operates those) 

Well, it's not exactly a company of heroes. (I expect the joke to fly over your head, but you really don't have to look far for one of Columbia's operators. In fact, one of said operator's clients is NYU.)