Polly Trottenberg resigned from DOT

Deucey

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Good riddance to her. Anytime I heard her speak, she was very closed-minded and didn't want to hear alternative perspectives and work to find a common solution. That rarely works out well in my experience (case in point, vision zero idiocy)

And they always used vision zero to overrule objections

On 11/23/2020 at 8:29 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Good riddance to her. Anytime I heard her speak, she was very closed-minded and didn't want to hear alternative perspectives and work to find a common solution. That rarely works out well in my experience (case in point, vision zero idiocy)

On 11/24/2020 at 1:37 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

And they always used vision zero to overrule objections

Exactly; she was a hack, plain and simple.  Expertise means nothing if a person is just going to serve as a empty suit and mouthpiece for the head idiot in charge (deBlasio).

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Polly is going to be the deputy US Sec'y of Transportation under the Biden Administration...…….second in command.

I'd rather have seen someone like Byford be the nominee; instead, they nominate one of deBlasio's dullest tools.. 

Shaking my damn head right now.

Edited by R10 2952

22 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

I'd rather have seen someone like Byford be the nominee; instead, they nominate one of deBlasio's dullest tools.. 

Shaking my damn head right now.

A position like Deputy Secretary requires a transportation generalist.

Byford would be ideal to head the Federal Transit Administration, but I'm not sure if his citizenship status would allow that.

3 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Who would be someone in his mold, who would be eligible to be nominated who has experience in the industry?

There's a few examples here and there; the professionals in Detroit who managed to turn things around at DDOT a few years ago are case in point.

49 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

A position like Deputy Secretary requires a transportation generalist.

Byford would be ideal to head the Federal Transit Administration, but I'm not sure if his citizenship status would allow that.

I didn't say Byford; I said someone like Byford.  Somebody who has/had the drive to get the right shit done regardless of political considerations.

In other words, not a stooge like Trottenberg or Feinberg, who will parrot whatever the powers that be say in order to grease their way up the career ladder.

Dunno, she'll be perfectly effective at keeping things running effectively. She's well-credentialed for it from her past DC experience. The problem is that she lacks imagination and creativity, as well as force. In NY, that made her limp – she never fought back. In this post, it's really the Secretary that needs the imagination and boldness, and Pete – who desperately wants to make a name for himself and remain in the public eye – will probably push for some serious stuff. And she'll be competent at executing it. Just be glad she isn't Secretary! 

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Dunno, she'll be perfectly effective at keeping things running effectively. She's well-credentialed for it from her past DC experience. The problem is that she lacks imagination and creativity, as well as force. In NY, that made her limp – she never fought back. In this post, it's really the Secretary that needs the imagination and boldness, and Pete – who desperately wants to make a name for himself and remain in the public eye – will probably push for some serious stuff. And she'll be competent at executing it. Just be glad she isn't Secretary! 

I wanna believe that it’s less she’s not imaginative and more that NYC kills imaginations.

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I don't really get the impression she never fought back, her tenure on the MTA Board included her questioning a lot of what was being put in front of her, often for good reason.

I just get the impression that she stopped caring once she figured out the NY system overly concentrates power in the executive (both at city and state level), and her boss didn't really support her with any conviction.

25 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I wanna believe that it’s less she’s not imaginative and more that NYC kills imaginations.

And more than that, bad mayors kill imaginations...

10 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

I don't really get the impression she never fought back, her tenure on the MTA Board included her questioning a lot of what was being put in front of her, often for good reason.

I just get the impression that she stopped caring once she figured out the NY system overly concentrates power in the executive (both at city and state level), and her boss didn't really support her with any conviction.

Yeah, she was good on the MTA board – but you have to remember that was with the blessing of de Blasio, who had her on the board as a city appointee. When it came to her DOT role answering to him, weak sauce. 

My biggest problem with her and deBlasio's DOT were the stark refusal to consider any alternatives, even moderate ones, to their Vision Zero dogma.  In a certain sense, it's not much different from Moses' attitude when he was trying to shove his vison- of endless, unwanted highways- down everybody's throats.

We'd be a much better democracy if we had less people with this kind of attitude in government.