No Overnight Service until Summer 2021

MHV9218

45 minutes ago, underbankbldg said:

He did a cabinet stay there, I get the feeling he didn't particularly like it, because if he did, he would have run in 2020 if he did.

Cuomo didn’t have the favorable sand national recognition to run in 2020. By the time he got them, the primaries were already going on and Clyburn in SC gave Biden his endorsement.

Plus in the debate stage, DeBlasio was "running" so it wouldn't have helped Cuomo's attempt if he were there at the same time showing all the enmity between the two of them...

Although now it does make me wonder if Billy Dee running for POTUS was him getting revenge on Cuomo for how many ways Cuomo made him look stupid after the falling out.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

Cuomo didn’t have the favorable sand national recognition to run in 2020. By the time he got them, the primaries were already going on and Clyburn in SC gave Biden his endorsement.

Plus in the debate stage, DeBlasio was "running" so it wouldn't have helped Cuomo's attempt if he were there at the same time showing all the enmity between the two of them...

Although now it does make me wonder if Billy Dee running for POTUS was him getting revenge on Cuomo for how many ways Cuomo made him look stupid after the falling out.

No, BdB has always had delusional aspirations to higher office. Clinton 2016 wasn't fond of him.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:15 PM, VIP said:

This overnight closure should be permanent. 

And you're going to put the 120ish trains you just took out of service where, exactly? Politics aside, the fact of the matter is that NYCT was not _designed_ to be closed overnight. Doing so would mean an immense number of mainline layups, whose placement would entail significant disruptions to evening service and cost. I actually doubt that an overnight closure would actually net out to less $$$ than running service. 

37 minutes ago, RR503 said:

And you're going to put the 120ish trains you just took out of service where, exactly? Politics aside, the fact of the matter is that NYCT was not _designed_ to be closed overnight. Doing so would mean an immense number of mainline layups, whose placement would entail significant disruptions to evening service and cost. I actually doubt that an overnight closure would actually net out to less $$$ than running service. 

Exactly the question I've been wondering. You'd basically be running the equivalent of a Cold Weather Plan V every evening, and I can't even imagine how tedious that would be to restore service each AM, let alone what it would look like staging crews at stations without crew rooms all over the subway. Assuming 1-2 hours' time to lay up and reactivate trains, you'd probably have the whole thing shut for barely 3-4 hours total. Not sure what the point of that would be.

On 1/18/2021 at 12:00 AM, RR503 said:

On 1/18/2021 at 12:42 AM, MHV9218 said:

Exactly the question I've been wondering. You'd basically be running the equivalent of a Cold Weather Plan V every evening, and I can't even imagine how tedious that would be to restore service each AM, let alone what it would look like staging crews at stations without crew rooms all over the subway. Assuming 1-2 hours' time to lay up and reactivate trains, you'd probably have the whole thing shut for barely 3-4 hours total. Not sure what the point of that would be.

That's why they are using this system they have in place now...

Trains Just run Light yet they can make them run light every 30 or 40 minutes if they so choose, thats a contractual issue though.

9 hours ago, RTOMan said:

That's why they are using this system they have in place now...

Trains Just run Light yet they can make them run light every 30 or 40 minutes if they so choose, thats a contractual issue though.

Stupid question, but do they also run light on the lines that are normally shuttles overnight ((M)(5), (A) to Lefferts) and short turns ((3), (R))? 

Yes, I can definitely see what a logistical nightmare shutting the system down entirely overnight would be.

15 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Stupid question, but do they also run light on the lines that are normally shuttles overnight ((M)(5), (A) to Lefferts) and short turns ((3), (R))? 

Yes, I can definitely see what a logistical nightmare shutting the system down entirely overnight would be.

Yes  everything runs light..

Employees do take the train to work on the midnights that's why its done..

On 1/18/2021 at 12:00 AM, RR503 said:

Simply arranging a crew deadhead from Rockaway Ave at say, 2am would ensure a high cost threshold.

5 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Transit officials admitting for the first time that the current ongoing overnight shutdown did not save the (MTA) any money whatsoever. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-covid-mta-overnight-subway-closure-costs-20210126-vkvnyjzwazb5fphby2qvsrpzkm-story.html

Transit Officials never claimed the shutdown would save money from the get go.   Plus these "state lawmakers" know damn well who they should be asking that question to:  CUOMO, who ordered the overnight closure to passengers.  All MTA Chairman Foye and NYCT Interim President Sarah Feinberg did was FOLLOW ORDERS.  The state lawmakers backed MTA Officials into a corner by asking that question.

Plus, even a first grader can figure out the shutdown costs transit more money since buses are being ran which otherwise would not be. 

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

Which is all they do really; the other day, a relative of mine made an excellent point:

"Do you remember the time when government got things done and made everything better for people?"

"No."

"Exactly, because it never happened, and never will."

I guess the moral of the story is the politicians are in it for themselves, and not to help the rest of us. 

14 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

"Do you remember the time when government got things done and made everything better for people?"

FHA Loans

Medicare

Medicaid

COVID Unemployment extensions and supplemental money

FDA drug regulation

New Starts Transit grants

Clean Air Acts

Pell Grant

To name a few...

If they ended up "failing", it's only because ideologues took power and attempted to destroy them because they didn't want these things to become "entitlements" - as former House Speaker Paul Ryan said of healthcare reform.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

FHA Loans

Medicare

Medicaid

COVID Unemployment extensions and supplemental money

FDA drug regulation

New Starts Transit grants

Clean Air Acts

Pell Grant

To name a few...

If they ended up "failing", it's only because ideologues took power and attempted to destroy them because they didn't want these things to become "entitlements" - as former House Speaker Paul Ryan said of healthcare reform.

I think more specifically, NYS is a lot more rotten.

Like even "free college" or "medical marijuana" came with so many caveats that I'm pretty sure no reasonable person would determine those to be actually true.

38 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Like even "free college" or "medical marijuana" came with so many caveats that I'm pretty sure no reasonable person would determine those to be actually true.

That's the nature of social conservatism in the US and Anglosphere at large - the assumption that people who use "welfare" are actually stealing and abusing so caveats and excessive eligibility requirements are needed. Meanwhile conservative-demanded bailouts and tax rebates to spur job creation and retention got used to pay shareholders dividends and C-Suite bonuses.

4 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Exactly.  Compared to European or even Canadian public policy, the U.S. is a deranged patchwork of loopholes, half-measures, and knee-jerk reactions.

Edited by R10 2952

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

That's the nature of social conservatism in the US and Anglosphere at large - the assumption that people who use "welfare" are actually stealing and abusing so caveats and excessive eligibility requirements are needed. Meanwhile conservative-demanded bailouts and tax rebates to spur job creation and retention got used to pay shareholders dividends and C-Suite bonuses.

Not to mention, a lot of America's in for a rude awakening if they ever realize a 'welfare queen' isn't a black woman in New York, but in truth more like a white woman in Kentucky...

51 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Not to mention, a lot of America's in for a rude awakening if they ever realize a 'welfare queen' isn't a black woman in New York, but in truth more like a white woman in Kentucky...

As much as that demographic rails against facts - recent events showing that to be the other pandemic, that’ll never happen.

”No True Scotsman” isn’t just a logical fallacy, it’s the source code for the bulk of folks in America that identify as “conservatives” - to the detriment of actual conservatives.

12 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

It’s my opinion that the average American is too ignorant, or caught up in the Dem vs Rep game, to realize that the billion dollar corporation that pays NO taxes , and sometimes gets a federal refund, is the real American welfare queen. Carry on.

6 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

It’s my opinion that the average American is too ignorant, or caught up in the Dem vs Rep game, to realize that the billion dollar corporation that pays NO taxes , and sometimes gets a federal refund, is the real American welfare queen. Carry on.

Well, according to our own VG8 here, that is completely fine and lovely because they do a lot of "hard work". He's just spent time on another thread telling me that he doesn't vote along party lines. So while an average American may not realize it, the non-average American isn't exactly a shoe in either.