January 3rd, 2021 Bus Route & Service Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

Here are the bus route and service that take into effect today. Although there are a few sprinkles of additional service, the majority is a reduction in weekday service in Queens. There were new timetables for routes in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island, but terminal departure times and frequencies did not change significantly to warrant a description. 

Manhattan

M35 - Now Serves Manhattan Psychiatric Center, Saturday Net Service Reductions, Sunday Service Increases

• Daily - Service from Harlem will now stop outside the Manhattan Psychiatric Center, by Rivers Edge Road entrance
  • Saturdays - The 5:30 AM trip from Harlem to Randalls Island will be split into a 5:20 AM and 5:40 AM trip
  • Saturdays - The 5:40 AM trip from Wards Island to Harlem will be split into a 5:32 AM and 5:52 PM
  • Saturday - Trips from Harlem between 6:00 AM and 8:40 AM will operate every 20 minutes instead of every 15 minutes
  • Saturday - Trips from Wards Island between 6:10 AM and 8:40 AM will operate every 20 minutes instead of every 15 minutes
  • Saturday - Trips from Harlem between 3:00 PM and 4:30 PM will operate every 15 minutes instead of every 12 minutes
  • Saturday - Trips from Wards Island between 3:10 PM and 4:40 PM will operate every 15 minutes instead of every 12 minutes
  • Saturday - Trips from Harlem between 5:00 PM and 8:50 PM will operate every 10-12 minutes instead of every 12-15 minutes
  • Saturday - Trips from Wards Island between 5:19 PM and 9:02 PM will operate every 10-12 minutes instead of every 12-15 minutes
  • Sunday - Trips from Harlem between 8:35 AM and 9:35 AM will operate every 12 minutes instead of every 15 minutes
  • Sunday - Trips from Wards Island between 8:45 AM and 9:45 AM will operate every 12 minutes instead of every 15 minutes
  • Sunday - Trips from Harlem between 6:05 PM and 10:05 PM will operate every 12-15 minutes instead of every 15-20 minutes
  • Sunday - Trips from Wards Island between 6:19 PM and 10:16 PM will operate every 12-15 minutes instead of every 15-20 minutes

M60 SBS - Route Change within LaGuardia Airport (No Schedule Change)

• Service will no longer operate via Ditmars Blvd & the 102nd Street entrance, instead operating via 94th Street and LaGuardia Road towards terminals C/D

Queens

Q3 - Weekday PM Put-In Eliminations

• The 3:06 PM and 3:34 PM put-ins from Jamaica-179 Street (F) towards JFK Airport will be discontinued

Q4 - Weekday PM Put-In Elimination

• The 3:09 PM trip from Francis Lewis Boulevard towards Jamaica Center will be discontinued

Q5 Local -  Weekday PM Put-In Elimination

• Weekdays - The 2:45 PM trip from Farmers Boulevard towards Jamaica Center will be discontinued

Q30 - Weekday Service Reductions

• All morning put-ins (nine total) from Merrick Boulevard will be discontinued:
    • Trips eliminated (from 169th Street (F)) - 7:05 AM, 7:09 AM, 7:14 AM, 7:18 AM, 7:22 AM, 7:26 AM, 8:22 AM, 8:33 AM, 8:53 AM
  • Sixteen (16) afternoon QCC-Jamaica trips between 1:20 PM and 3:41 PM will be discontinued:
    • Trips eliminated - 1:25 PM, 1:30 PM, 1:32 PM, 1:40 PM, 1:48 PM, 2:03 PM, 2:19 PM, 2:27 PM, 2:34 PM, 2:43 PM, 2:51 PM, 2:59 PM, 3:07 PM, 3:15 PM, 3:23 PM, 3:29 PM
    • Jamaica-bound frequency of service west of Springfield Boulevard will operate approximately every 7-8 minutes instead of every 1-5 minutes

Q36 Local - Weekday PM Trip Addition

• A trip from Jamaica to Floral Park will be added at 4:13 PM

Q48 - Buses Will Return to Stopping at Marine Air Terminal Terminal A

• Buses will now operate via Marine Air Terminal 
  • Schedules have not been adjusted for additional time

Q72 - Buses will enter LaGuardia Airport through 94th Street

• Buses will enter through the 94th Street entrance and use LaGuardia Roads towards terminal C/D instead of Ditmars Boulevard & the 102nd Street entrance

Q77 - Weekday Service Reductions, Terminal modification in Springfield Gardens

• Six trips from Jamaica (165th Street Bus Terminal) will be discontinued
    • Trips eliminated: 11:50 AM, 2:00 PM, 2:08 PM, 2:21 PM, 2:41 PM, 2:56 PM
  • The 3:27 PM put-in from 179th Street (F) will be discontinued 
  • Sixteen (16) PM trips from Springfield Gardens to Jamaica will be discontinued, and two trips will be merged between 2:03 PM and 3:40 PM as follows:
    • Trips merged - 2:12 PM and 2:19 PM trips into a 2:14 PM trip
    • Trips eliminated - 2:23 PM, 2:30 PM, 2:33 PM, 2:35 PM, 2:37 PM, 2:43 PM, 2:45 PM, 2:47 PM, 2:55 PM, 2:58 PM, 3:03 PM, 3:14 PM, 3:16 PM, 3:19 PM, 3:26 PM, 3:36 PM
  • The first/last stop will be at South Conduit Ave & 221st Street

Q85 - Weekday PM Service Reductions

• The 2:47 PM and 2:49 PM trips from Farmers Boulevard & Bedell Street to Jamaica will be discontinued

Q88 - Weekday Service Reductions

• EB service from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM will depart Queens Center Mall every 10-15 minutes instead of every 5 minutes
  • The 3:26 PM and 3:47 PM trips from Kissena Boulevard to Queens Center Mall will be discontinued

M35: So they didn't go through with running buses inside the property then....

Q30: Just as heavy handed as they were with running that service, they're just as heavy handed with taking it away...... Can't say I'm surprised though; always thought that service was excessive anyway...

Q48: .....again 🥱

Q72: Didn't know it was entering via the 102nd entrance, TBH....

Q77: Not surprised that they cut that extra service for the school kids here either (didn't realize it was that much/frequent though).... As far as the "new" terminal in Springfield Gardens, what's :lol::lol: about that is that buses would layover along S. Conduit anyway (either at the 221st stop itself, or in front of the McDonalds)... So basically, they made it an "official" terminal now.

Q88: Was it really every 5 minutes? Jesus..... Anyway, IDK about outright cutting all those trips; at worst I'd have merged some of them into the current trips that's shown on the schedule & short turned all of those resultant/merged trips at 188th or something.... In other words, you don't need every trip running to QV..... They OD'd with supplying all that dam short turn service on the Q30 b/w QCC & Jamaica, but persist in running every Q88 to QV....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Q72: Didn't know it was entering via the 102nd entrance, TBH....

It was routed that way during the construction of Terminal B. I believe for a while the inner LGA Rd was closed and even the airport buses were routed that way. The road is now reopened, so it would make sense to use the inner airport road again

3 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

It was routed that way during the construction of Terminal B. I believe for a while the inner LGA Rd was closed and even the airport buses were routed that way. The road is now reopened, so it would make sense to use the inner airport road again

I know about the construction, I didn't (bother to) think about the Q72's routing inparticular....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@JAzumah Based on the GTFS feed, it looks like a school-closed schedule (the S55/56 show their basic 30 minute headways instead of all the extra school service they normally have). I don't see any school terminals (Hylan & Bertram on the S55, Luten & Eyelandt on the S59, etc)

Since when does MTA post school terminals on their GTFS feed? I've looked at the schedules for the S55 a few years ago on the Transit app and never saw a Hyland Bl / Bertram short turn on the app.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

M35: So they didn't go through with running buses inside the property then....

The route map doesn't list it on the timetable, but it is running inside the property. The stop though is near the Rivers Edge Road entrance of the building itself. Bustime also has a loop on the property (but very sloppy at that). 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Q88: Was it really every 5 minutes? Jesus..... Anyway, IDK about outright cutting all those trips; at worst I'd have merged some of them into the current trips that's shown on the schedule & short turned all of those resultant/merged trips at 188th or something.... In other words, you don't need every trip running to QV..... They OD'd with supplying all that dam short turn service on the Q30 b/w QCC & Jamaica, but persist in running every Q88 to QV....

It was actually more like every 1-2 minutes. It used to be every 3-4 minutes (pre-COVID) towards Queens Village, but there was also a branch in the morning to Horace Harding & Francis Lewis Boulevard (St. Francis Prep), which were never listed on public timetables, and there would be 1-2 buses towards Francis Lewis Blvd for every Queens Village bus. In the afternoon there was also buses from Francis Lewis Blvd to QCM, but not as frequent and a little more scattered throughout the afternoon. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It was actually more like every 1-2 minutes. It used to be every 3-4 minutes (pre-COVID) towards Queens Village, but there was also a branch in the morning to Horace Harding & Francis Lewis Boulevard (St. Francis Prep), which were never listed on public timetables, and there would be 1-2 buses towards Francis Lewis Blvd for every Queens Village bus. In the afternoon there was also buses from Francis Lewis Blvd to QCM, but not as frequent and a little more scattered throughout the afternoon. 

That seems like something that would be brought back when COVID stops being such an issue.

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Since when does MTA post school terminals on their GTFS feed? I've looked at the schedules for the S55 a few years ago on the Transit app and never saw a Hyland Bl / Bertram short turn on the app.

All I know is that on March 16th when the mayor closed down the schools and the MTA announced that they were running a school-closed schedule, the school trips/terminals were still listed in the GTFS feed (it was corrected a day or two later)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Q30: I agree with B35! The Q30 in general had way too much service even before covid. I do understand that they probably provided all that service for the students at QCC since it is difficult to get there especially if you are coming from Jamaica and or don’t have access to the Q27. Now that schools are closed a huge majority of the Q30’s ridership is gone since students from Francis Lewis, Cardozo, QCC, St Francis Prep, St Johns and a couple of other schools are not using the buses. Outside of the students the Q30 doesn’t see tons of ridership. I also think the Q17 is another one that has too much service. 

Q48: I don’t know why the MTA insist that the Q48 will do good serving terminal A. I think Jet Blue is out of terminal A now, but even before the change the Q48 ridership is more on the light side in LGA period. They got rid of it from there before due to how poorly it picked up. I personally think the Q70 would have been a better choice to serve terminal A if they wanted another bus route up there. After all it is the La Guardia Link. I’d say kick the Q47 out of terminal A and have the M60/Q70 serve the terminal instead. 
I would cut the Q48 from going all the way to 82st to return back to Flushing and instead have it turn back at 94th st with the Q72.

Q77: Buses have already been ending two blocks short at South Conduit for the past year or so. When they fixed up Springfield Blvd (extended the Blvd to 147th street & added a bike lane) buses are unable to make the U-Turn at 145th Road, because the street is more narrow. I do think the Q77 should have retained its first stop at Springfield Blvd & 145th Ave, but use 221st & 145th Ave to turn around. 

Too bad the Q20 is not on this list, they really need to adjust the run time on that route. It is painfully slow for no reason. I guess this list is more about trip modifications, but damn it would have been the perfect opportunity to do something, because that route is pitiful. 

On 1/4/2021 at 2:04 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Q77: Buses have already been ending two blocks short at South Conduit for the past year or so. When they fixed up Springfield Blvd (extended the Blvd to 147th street & added a bike lane) buses are unable to make the U-Turn at 145th Road, because the street is more narrow. I do think the Q77 should have retained its first stop at Springfield Blvd & 145th Ave, but use 221st & 145th Ave to turn around. 

Well buses were actually going to 145th Avenue, but they used South Conduit, 225th, and 145th Ave to get back to Springfield Boulevard. Going to Jamaica, they would originate at 145th Avenue instead.

One thing that I just noticed looking at bustime, is that the route map is wrong on the new Q77 timetable, as it's outdated. The 145th Avenue stop is now eliminated, and buses towards Jamaica now turn north on 225th Street, and head back to Springfield Blvd via North Conduit Avenue. That's why the South Conduit Ave & 221st stop is now the new official terminal on the route. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Well buses were actually going to 145th Avenue, but they used South Conduit, 225th, and 145th Ave to get back to Springfield Boulevard. Going to Jamaica, they would originate at 145th Avenue instead.

One thing that I just noticed looking at bustime, is that the route map is wrong on the new Q77 timetable, as it's outdated. The 145th Avenue stop is now eliminated, and buses towards Jamaica now turn north on 225th Street, and head back to Springfield Blvd via North Conduit Avenue. That's why the South Conduit Ave & 221st stop is now the new official terminal on the route. 

Bustime is inaccurate?? Shocked, I tell you, shocked ;) 

On 1/4/2021 at 8:18 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

All I know is that on March 16th when the mayor closed down the schools and the MTA announced that they were running a school-closed schedule, the school trips/terminals were still listed in the GTFS feed (it was corrected a day or two later)

Anything with BusTime is outsourced, so it's not in-house, hence the delay to have things corrected.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Anything with BusTime is outsourced, so it's not in-house, hence the delay to have things corrected.

It's not BusTime-related, it's the schedules themselves (and those were corrected the day after I contacted them).

@NewFlyer 230 I'm discussing this with a contact at the MTA. Which areas (i.e. Between which timepoints) and which timeframes (time of day) does this occur the most in? 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

23 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It's not BusTime-related, it's the schedules themselves (and those were corrected the day after I contacted them).

@NewFlyer 230 I'm discussing this with a contact at the MTA. Which areas (i.e. Between which timepoints) and which timeframes (time of day) does this occur the most in? 

Even so that still impacts BusTime.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2021 at 8:06 PM, B35 via Church said:

Q77: Not surprised that they cut that extra service for the school kids here either (didn't realize it was that much/frequent though).... As far as the "new" terminal in Springfield Gardens, what's :lol::lol: about that is that buses would layover along S. Conduit anyway (either at the 221st stop itself, or in front of the McDonalds)... So basically, they made it an "official" terminal now.

Now I see why the destination sign reads "Springfield Gardens". SMFH...the bike lanes did it for that old terminal. Now the Q77 is going to be delayed with using South Conduit-225th St-North Conduit Av to get back to Jamaica.