Reimbursement Agreement Between NYCT and NJT

JAzumah

In the general tariff book for NYCT and MTA Bus, there is a section called "Reimbursable Transportation", which contains the following provision for transportation due to disruption:

"New Jersey Transit bus customers diverted to the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal as a result of major traffic delays at the Lincoln Tunnel will be permitted to enter the subway at the 175th Street (A) Station for free with display of valid New Jersey Transit commutation tickets. New Jersey Transit will notify NYCT Rail Control Center prior to any diversion."

I do not recall the last time that I heard something like this was used, but it is nice to see some actual regional cooperation protocols on the books.

NYCT & MTA Bus Tariff Book

I dont think this was ever used as an officlal option either.  Many times Bergen County riders from the Port would go uptown to catch an NJT bus when there were major delays at the Tunnel, but cross honoring in the subway was never an option.  They had to swallow the fare.  This option makes a lot more sense for nearby Bergen/Hudson riders as opposed to Secaucus Junction especially for riders in Fort Lee, Englewood, Teaneck, Hackensack, etc.

• 4 months later...

Will any NJT PABT bus route pick up passengers from the GWB Terminal if there were delays severe enough at PABT? If not, I doubt the subway fare will be "reimbursed" since this is not true cross-honoring but something a commuter did on his/her own.

The provision at 175th Street makes sense since the bus would be diverted to GWB by no fault of the passengers and the inconvenience that results from it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 1:45 AM, pkim87 said:

Will any NJT PABT bus route pick up passengers from the GWB Terminal if there were delays severe enough at PABT? If not, I doubt the subway fare will be "reimbursed" since this is not true cross-honoring but something a commuter did on his/her own.

The provision at 175th Street makes sense since the bus would be diverted to GWB by no fault of the passengers and the inconvenience that results from it.

Yes.  That’s one of two alternatives, the other being Secaucus Rail Station.