Bus hanging over CBE...

SubBus

According to  CBS New York,  there's a bus hanging over the Cross Bronx Expressway (University Avenue) after a crash.   Several injuries.   I hope there are no people still on that bus....

Edited by SubBus

19 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Holy shit!!!! 

Pardon my French but JESUS that is a sight I never thought I'd see. How in the hell did that happen?

B/O must be counting one of his nine lives, dios mio....

I’ve been looking at the area on Street View and the only thing I can figure is a turn too fast and wide or brake failure.

Do XD60s come with ABS?

The fact that this bus fell off an overpass with the CNG tanks holding up and that they pulled that bus out in one piece. Holy crap, New Flyer made a damn tank.

The way this bus model was manufactured may have saved lives. And the fact that it has an event recorder (bus equivalent of a plane's black box) and probably cameras on board means the investigation will likely reveal a lot.

8 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The fact that this bus fell off an overpass with the CNG tanks holding up and that they pulled that bus out in one piece. Holy crap, New Flyer made a damn tank.

The way this bus model was manufactured may have saved lives. And the fact that it has an event recorder (bus equivalent of a plane's black box) and probably cameras on board means the investigation will likely reveal a lot.

Those XN60 buses are pretty solidly built. I actually prefer them over the 40-footers we have at Gleason.

I'm surprised to find out that buses have event recorders. I wonder when they started putting those in buses. Not surprised the bus held up well, I remember an BMW crashed into an Hybrid on the B46 and the BMW was totaled while the hybrid had very little damage.

Glad everyone is OK.

44 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I’ve been looking at the area on Street View and the only thing I can figure is a turn too fast and wide or brake failure.

Do XD60s come with ABS?

Yeah, or swerving to avoid somebody, a la Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 ...

I think every major order has ABS for a while...even some of the new fleet has regenerative braking as an option, F1-style.

You think it could be a medical thing, but I heard the B/O was walking around helping passengers after.

My guess is that the bus was going too fast and operator tried to turn and lost control. At a certain speed I think 30 mph  the bus two sections locks up making it a straight 60 foot bus and it cant turn separately like you normally see them turn. So my guess is that the driver was going too fast and tried to turn and the bus swings.  Driver should have just gone straight and try to turn around somewhere else or call up command and ask for assistance. 

3 minutes ago, Rafa said:

My guess is that the bus was going too fast and operator tried to turn and lost control. At a certain speed I think 30 mph  the bus two sections locks up making it a straight 60 foot bus and it cant turn separately like you normally see them turn. So my guess is that the driver was going too fast and tried to turn and the bus swings.  Driver should have just gone straight and try to turn around somewhere else or call up command and ask for assistance. 

Is the bus designed like that or is it an unintentional problem? 

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Do XD60s come with ABS?

43 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, or swerving to avoid somebody, a la Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 ...

I think every major order has ABS for a while...even some of the new fleet has regenerative braking as an option, F1-style.

You think it could be a medical thing, but I heard the B/O was walking around helping passengers after.

12 minutes ago, Rafa said:

I don't know where all this speculation is coming from? People have been trying to find out. I think it's best to wait and see.

2 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Thank you for your counsel, Father Time. We're allowed to look at what happened and wonder. It's a pretty crazy scene. Nobody is running to the press or claiming anything as fact.

Sure wonder, but people are already blaming the driver here with no factual information. Real classy...

Wow. Some bad news coming from Channel 7: https://abc7ny.com/8-injured-after-mta-bus-veers-off-road-dangles-from-overpass/9671812/

"We have been informed by the police that the bus operator passed a breath test at the scene, however upon arrival at the hospital, the bus operator refused to take an MTA mandated drug and alcohol test," Warren said. "This is obviously troubling. The investigation is ongoing."

The MTA said the GPS revealed the bus appeared to be traveling at 17-26 mph during the incident.

"We know the speed limit on the road is 25 mph, but the appropriate speed for taking a turn such as this is between 3 and 4 miles per hour," MTA Chief Safety Officer Pat Warren said. "So we can say at this time while the investigation is ongoing, speed is clearly a factor and is obviously of great concern to us."

Just glad everybody's alright. 

Edited by MHV9218

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know where all this speculation is coming from? People have been trying to find out. I think it's best to wait and see.

Let’s just say that I had interesting times in my non-ABS 93 Camry with the front discs and rear drums, and the “man if ABS didn’t suck” experience with the red light ticket in my 06 Sonata.