NYCT Bus Operator...whats the pay like?

MTAdude

Hey guys. I am currently on the NYCT Bus Operator list and just curious if anyone can give a detailed run down of the biweekly pay? After taxes for a rookie bus operator.....and top pay bus operator biweekly.

Ive been searching high and low and still cant find a solid answer as to what kind of pay to expect from this career. I expect to get married soon and eventually have a kid or 2....just wondering if im making the right choice with this job financially.

Also....those of you on the job,  Do you like the job?

Anyways, thank you for any info!!!!

Edited by MTAdude

4 minutes ago, MTAdude said:

Hey guys. I am currently on the NYCT Bus Operator list and just curious if anyone can give a detailed run down of the biweekly pay? After taxes for a rookie bus operator.....and top pay bus operator biweekly.

Ive been searching high and low and still cant find a solid answer as to what kind of pay to expect from this career. I expect to get married soon and eventually have a kid or 2....just wondering if im making the right choice with this job financially.

Skys the limit. 

The first year as a rookie, don’t expect to be rolling big money since the ideal is to pass year probationary period. That means, you want  less time on the bus to avoid accidents or incidents. Your pay (23$ an hour) is based on the route and run. For example you can pick a run and route that pays 50 hours a week, but that determined the depot and your seniority peg. Overall we make money if you know how to. We earn night differential, articulate buses pay (2$ more) if you’re operating a articulated bus route. 

I’m on my fourth year (31.98$ an hr) and for 2020 I made 100k for the year and thats all from busting ass by putting in hours. Covid has put more opportunity for bus operators to earn more. On your fifth year you will be on a top pay salary.

Being a Dispatcher (46.00$ An hr) is more money, but you can only become a dispatcher after your third year and take a promotion exam when its available. 

43 minutes ago, MTAdude said:

I am currently entering my second year and I'm sitting around 26-27/hour- current start rate is 24 and some change with another bump coming in May according to the recent contract...

As far as pay goes, your hours will be all over the place due to many factors. Unless your runs are boosted (meaning the actual shift is shorter than 8 hours but you still get paid for 8 regardless) you will more often than not end up making more than 40 hours a week.

My current work week is roughly 43 hours but the fuel line every night tends to add on to that, I can easily break 45-46 hours a week. 

Blowing/missing your lunch break because of traffic (this is going to happen to you a lot during your first year) also gets you paid for the entire thing so you'll definitely be seeing some extra money on your check.

There's not really a definite answer to your question as it all varies but believe me you will be financially sound provided you follow the directions and procedures to survive probation.

As far as liking the job, I enjoy the aspect of driving and I actually like some challenge so every trip is interesting in some form.

Edited by SoSpectacular

I'll chime in on my experience as a rookie. So I just cleared my first year of probation this week. So this is based off my first year. So the first couple weeks were good because of line training you will be paired with a top seniority operator so you will be making hours. After that it gets a bit more difficult. You will most likely get what's left over which are basically 40hr runs. Well 8.15 x 5. I am at a very busy depot and overtime work is consistently offered. But don't do it on probation. You don't need the extra risk. On my last 2 picks I was on 8.15hr runs, After taxes and deductions, I was bringing home about $1300-$1500 per pay period. This pick I am on the Extra Board, which opens up the potential for more money. I like picking day by day work because the option for better work opens up. I am currently on a 11.26hr run, So that means more money. But basically you can expect about $700 per week for your first year. As far as enjoying the job, I do enjoy certain aspects of it. Other's not so much. I do intend to take the next promotional exam for dispatcher when it opens. There is a alot of potential from there on. This job can enable you to provide a great life for your family, but you have to put the work in. Good Luck.