Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Don Brown

Should the Port Authority of NY/NJ build a new span across the Hudson

Should the Port Authority build a new bridge or tunnel to connect from Manhattan to West NY in NJ to relieve congestion to and from the city on the existing tunnels and the GWB? Any thoughts?

Is there a need for another Hudson river crossing between NYC & NJ? Yes, absolutely.....

Problem is there's not much of any real estate for a bridge or a tunnel... Where are you putting a bridge or a tunnel approach on the NJ side?

On 1/24/2021 at 7:36 PM, Don Brown said:

Perhaps to connect it to the NJ turnpike. Make a new freeway to connect it all to 42nd or 59th street.

So we’re having it touch down where in Manhattan without destroying all that high price Westside real estate? And because of the angle needed to build it and still let cargo ships pass under, it’s not touching down until 9th-10th Av. 

Same with the tunnel - but now you’ve got queues of traffic like at Canal Street with the Holland Tunnel. Rich folks on the Westside won’t like that.

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2021 at 7:36 PM, Don Brown said:

Perhaps to connect it to the NJ turnpike. Make a new freeway to connect it all to 42nd or 59th street.

Directly? Lol.... You're not Pulaski Skyway-ing anything into Manhattan, bud......

12 hours ago, Deucey said:

So we’re having it touch down where in Manhattan without destroying all that high price Westside real estate? And because of the angle needed to build it and still let cargo ships pass under, it’s not touching down until 9th-10th Av. 

Same with the tunnel - but now you’ve got queues of traffic like at Canal Street with the Holland Tunnel. Rich folks on the Westside won’t like that.

Exacerbating gridlock by way of induced demand.... Exactly.

20 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Exacerbating gridlock by way of induced demand.... Exactly.

I do feel like DOT should’ve built some version of the Mid-Manhattan and Lower Manhattan Expressways just to make a faster connection to LI that avoided local streets, but I’m glad it never happened since induced demand would’ve made air quality and congestion much worse than what we have now.

Also, I would’ve been okay with it if that 9/11 LMDC money made West St into an actual Westside Highway down to the FDR as a proper Manhattan Ring Road, or into a real Michigan-style trunk road with Michigan Lefts (left turns as U-turns after the intersection), but we are where we are, and it was more cost effective to destroy the decrepit and closed viaduct and build a proper boulevard.

Now it has me wondering about the feasibility of building a MNRR spur past Penn down to FiDi using West Street for the viaduct - as a traffic and pollution reduction measure.

Edited by Deucey

Way back in the early 19th century, the first iteration of the West Side rail line ran at street level all the way down to Lower Manhattan, ending in the vicinity of Chambers and Hudson Streets.  The line was cut back to a terminal at St. John's Park after the Civil War, and then elevated in the 1930s and rerouted to a purpose-built freight station on the new High Line.  Personally, I always wondered why no consideration was given back in those days to running passenger service on the rail viaduct.

Would have loved to see the line resurrected for some useful transportation purpose instead of conversion into a park, but the railroad demolishing the line below 14th Street in the 1960s made it functionally useless after that point- I'm actually surprised the northern half lasted in freight service until the '80s.

Edited by R10 2952

I'd like to see a tunnel from Queens (or Brooklyn - Red Hook/BQE) direct to NJ. No one actually wants to drive through Manhattan, it's just in a central location.