Who the Hell Wants NGs to Debut in Bklyn?

Micstromme

Just for starters, the Hybrid bus that is currently in Flatbush is a loaner from Castleton as a training bus. First for the mechanics to learn and then as a trainer for all operators. The first problem encountered was, it is too high for the building. It cannot be put on a lift. Second problem after speaking with several dispatchers, 1 GS and the mechanic foreman is that the new buses arriving at Flatbush is a done deal. It is going to slooooooooowly start to phase out all RTS buses to comply with environmental concerns. Within the next 5-10 years, ALL diesel buses will be relics waiting to be disassembled at Eastchester depot along with whatever is there now.

The greater concern is, training on the Hybrids and learning to pull away from the stops and not taking out a hydrant, shelters or, trees, anything else that we normally encounter. They have a 2 foot rear overhang so, you can't pull away as we normally do. The side mirrors are also lower so hitting someone while pulling into a stop is something to be aware of.

I trained on the original Hybrids at Zerega. The are alot faster on acceleration than anything we have been used to. Yes, even better than the best 5000's and 9600's we have now!!!!!!! We are not going to have to take off the retarder and put on the fast idle and turn off the A/C to build speed. If you relieve at Flatbush/Nostrand just ask any operator on the B11 how fast the Hybrids are. I for one are looking forward to getting new equipment. The newest bus we have now is 10 years old with an average of 300,000 miles on it!!!! I say bring 'em on!!!!!(MTA)

As far as the 95/9600's are concerned, send them packing to the Grand Avenue and Fresh Pond Depots respectively, maybe even the East New York Depot if they get off their high horses and allow more than just a few runs on the B12/25 during the rushes. I like the RTS'and since these depots appear closer to my inner circle (where I live and where I work go to school in Brooklyn) I would not mind seeing the depots that I enjoy (although Flatbush Depot will always be my favorite by far) have the 9500s and 9600s.

On a side note,Hooray for President Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do. at least at Jackie Gleason. it doesnt have to be Hybrids. it can be CNG NG Buses.

No, it can't. If Jackie Gleason wants Hybrids, thenthey can either inherit some from one of their sister depots (namely Pond or ENY wishful thinking), but that shit that is new off the presses of New York City can go somewhere else.

Hell, they can even go to rot away at Grand Avenue (just as long as they are not put on the B15 or B60 or B61- that type of bus would be eaten alive after just four or five bus stops at any given time).

Honestly, can you imagine that NG on a B35? Its bad enough they have New Flyers, but adding that Hybrid would be pointless. I'm sorry, but from where I'm standing you evaluate a depot by the toughest route en route, and the B35 might just be that route that pulls the horse, next followed by the B68 and B8 in that order as JG carries the most routes and buses in Brooklyn Divinsion.

My bottom line is that the new Hybrids would not do anything for the Gleason Depot. Put it in the Flatbush Depot since they have few buses and even fewer routes to serve it on, so therefore the offspring can be Flatbush getting some new technology and moving some of the 8400s to Staten Island (not MTA-Bus), the 5000's back to East New York and Fresh Pond, and finally the 9600s to Grand Avenue Depot where they should be.

Do comment.

Are they only going to run on the B2,B31 and B49? Aren't the intirors of the hybrids are too cramped for the B41, B44 and B46?
It doesn't mater what route its on....the Hybrids interior is crampped no mater what...blame (MTA) for putting the interiors like that!

I wish they'd do something to get those wheel wells out of the way. At least put a seat on top of them. Or even if they have to go with an Orion II front design (put the wheels in front of the door; though that would look wack for a modern city bus. It would resemble the new Thomas Safetiliner school buses).

And perhaps lower the ceiling in lower deck in front. (the NABI COMPO's seemed to do this, from one inside picture I have seen. That of course, it a model I wish we had gotten, and at 45', would be great for Flatbush). Perhaps put the electrical box on top inside instead of outside on the roof. then, it wouldn't have the height problems in the garage. The low floor, with the ceiling and windowtops the same height as the high floors make it feel like being in a pit. That plus all the wasted space in front just make the insides look cold and dank.

I grew up riding the B41 and other FLA routes (fishbowls, of course). Would robably be even more uncomfortable for a restless kid in some cramped up low floor).

I wish they'd do something to get those wheel wells out of the way. At least put a seat on top of them. Or even if they have to go with an Orion II front design (put the wheels in front of the door; though that would look wack for a modern city bus. It would resemble the new Thomas Safetiliner school buses).

And perhaps lower the ceiling in lower deck in front. (the NABI COMPO's seemed to do this, from one inside picture I have seen. That of course, it a model I wish we had gotten, and at 45', would be great for Flatbush). Perhaps put the electrical box on top inside instead of outside on the roof. then, it wouldn't have the height problems in the garage. The low floor, with the ceiling and windowtops the same height as the high floors make it feel like being in a pit. That plus all the wasted space in front just make the insides look cold and dank.

I grew up riding the B41 and other FLA routes (fishbowls, of course). Would robably be even more uncomfortable for a restless kid in some cramped up low floor).

I agree with the wheelwells. I believe they should have the wheels smaller like New Flyer ones.

Archived