Dems in Congress Raise Talk of Utica Ave Extension

MHV9218

On 5/14/2021 at 1:40 PM, R10 2952 said:

Fine by me if Dems lose West Virginia; all the effort and money they're throwing down the drain to appease Manchin is a waste at the end of the day.  Would be better spent making sure Raphael Warnock gets re-elected in Georgia.

But them backing Manchin is pure cowardice; they'd rather cater to a Democrat in name only and scuttle major legislation in the process, than focus on winning states that are actually competitive.

Politics 101:

51-50 in your party’s favor > 51-49 in the other party’s favor.

Lesson learned when Jim Jeffords of Vermont left Bush’s GOP and caucused with the Dems in 2002.

Right, except now Manchin is blocking voting-rights legislation; he's become a liability for them, and at some point he's going to have to be cut off. 

If the Republicans can strip Liz Cheney of committee assignments for something as trivial as not kowtowing to Orange Kool-Aid Man, then surely the Democrats can do the same to Manchin for something as serious as bucking them on S 1.

If they can get Warnock re-elected and score a win somewhere competitive like PA or OH, they won't need Manchin anymore.  Looking forward to the day him and Sinema both get booted out.  

Edited by R10 2952

23 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Right, except now Manchin is blocking voting-rights legislation; he's become a liability for them, and at some point he's going to have to be cut off.

Joe Manchin's doing what anyone with limited time does: grab the spotlight and try for a national profile.

It's good to be the king.

Problem for him is all Dems need to do is hold onto their seats and take Pat Toomey's seat after his retirement, and Joe Manchin no longer matters.

Demographics will force Synema to remember she's not a centrist. 

But Manchin's decided to choose violence to keep his seat instead of making allies. So let Dems pull Ohio, and/or Beto take Cornyn's seat in Texas, and Manchin's a Republican or voted out in '24.

He's trying for his think-tank or lobbyist job.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:29 PM, R10 2952 said:

As far as federal funding goes, I don't see anything materializing until the filibuster is finally killed.  Which is probably not going to happen for several years, at least not until Manchin and Sinema get primaried.

Federal funding will be necessary for pretty much any subway expansion project. I don’t know if the filibuster really has to die. I mean, we have been able to get things built in the past with it, but with today’s ridiculously polarized political environment in Washington, I guess it will probably have to. Of course, there also has to be someone in the House or the Senate who lobbies hard for a Utica Avenue extension if it ever has a chance of happening. Sort of how Carolyn Maloney kept pushing for the SAS. 

On 5/14/2021 at 3:26 AM, bobtehpanda said:

Manchin is not going to get primaried and if he loses he'll be replaced by an actual Republican.

WV went for Trump 68-29. A more liberal Democrat is not going to win West Virginia lol.

Frankly, I’m surprised he even got re-elected in 2018. I really thought, given WV’s very strong tilt towards the GOP, Manchin would have been a goner from the Senate for sure, just like Claire McCaskill (Missouri) and Joe Donnelly (Indiana). His re-election was a narrow one, though. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Frankly, I’m surprised he even got re-elected in 2018. I really thought, given WV’s very strong tilt towards the GOP,

You said that with your whole chest like Jay Rockefeller and Robert Byrd never existed.

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Frankly, I’m surprised he even got re-elected in 2018. I really thought, given WV’s very strong tilt towards the GOP, Manchin would have been a goner from the Senate for sure, just like Claire McCaskill (Missouri) and Joe Donnelly (Indiana). His re-election was a narrow one, though. 

I wouldn't really call 49-46 "narrow."

WV was a very strong Democratic state until 2000 because of all the union jobs. Everything after has basically come down to WV being very anti-green. Manchin is surprisingly not actually anti-climate change, but we'll have to see how far he wants to walk the walk.

8 hours ago, Deucey said:

You said that with your whole chest like Jay Rockefeller and Robert Byrd never existed.

Well today, much of West Virginia acts as if Jay Rockefeller and Robert Byrd never existed. The state’s shift to GQP stronghold is a relatively recent one (over the past 10-20 years) and they don’t seem to be showing any signs of going back.

WV was a very strong Democratic state until 2000 because of all the union jobs. Everything after has basically come down to WV being very anti-green. Manchin is surprisingly not actually anti-climate change, but we'll have to see how far he wants to walk the walk.

It’s a much narrower win compared to Manchin’s 2012 election campaign. He won his first full term in the Senate with 61 percent of the vote.

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

It was a much narrower victory than his 2012 election victory, in which Manchin won his first full Senate term with 61 percent of the vote.

Personally, I really don’t like having to appease the guy - or Sinema - but I also don’t think Schumer and Company should just wait it out until next fall when the Dems can pick up a couple more seats in more competitive states, though they should definitely focus hard on that when the time comes. But if there’s any chance we can get some significant improvements to our infrastructure, education or healthcare in New York in the meantime (this year) by working with Manchin and Sinema, then I would. Their seats are safe until 2024, so by the end of this year/start of next year, the DNC can gear up to wage spirited campaigns to help Raphael Warnock keep his Senate seat in Georgia and fight hard to win those open Senate seats in 2022. If we can get a first phase of a Utica Ave Subway or Phase 2 of the SAS out of it.

4 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It was a much narrower victory than his 2012 election victory, in which Manchin won his first full Senate term with 61 percent of the vote.

Personally, I really don’t like having to appease the guy - or Sinema - but I also don’t think Schumer and Company should just wait it out until next fall when the Dems can pick up a couple more seats in more competitive states, though they should definitely focus hard on that when the time comes. But if there’s any chance we can get some significant improvements to our infrastructure, education or healthcare in New York in the meantime (this year) by working with Manchin and Sinema, then I would. Their seats are safe until 2024, so by the end of this year/start of next year, the DNC can gear up to wage spirited campaigns to help Raphael Warnock keep his Senate seat in Georgia and fight hard to win those open Senate seats in 2022. If we can get a first phase of a Utica Ave Subway or Phase 2 of the SAS out of it.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

Right now we've got the hand we're dealt.

• 2 months later...

I think the (4) down Utica is smart. For people rightfully pointing out the lack of service north of Utica, maybe a tram could be used? I was also thinking that Bedford-Nostrand could use a tram because the B44 is always crowded. (Veering off topic but just curious what peoples thoughts are).