Eviction Moratorium ACTUALLY ENDS 2/26

Deucey

But if you fill out the hardship form, your deadline changes to May 1, 2021.  You can fill the form out online at this link: 

https://www.evictionfreeny.org/en/?utm_source=Open+Newsroom+Rent+Updates&utm_campaign=a9f52080ba-Rent+update+issue+3_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bde3f24ce8-a9f52080ba-24126532

People are going to be in for a rude surprise. There's a family in my building that owes over $10,000 in rent. I saw the paper slapped on their door one day months ago. They hadn't paid rent for about six months, and they pay around $2,000 a month, so very easy to get in a whole. Supposedly, New Yorkers owe $1 billion dollars in rent. 

I don't know who put the paper up there, but they could've slid it under the door. Everyone didn't need to see that. Ridiculous.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

People are going to be in for a rude surprise. There's a family in my building that owes over $10,000 in rent. I saw the paper slapped on their door one day months ago. They hadn't paid rent for about six months, and they pay around $2,000 a month, so very easy to get in a whole. Supposedly, New Yorkers owe $1 billion dollars in rent. 

I don't know who put the paper up there, but they could've slid it under the door. Everyone didn't need to see that. Ridiculous.

Mine slid a letter under my door about that even though I was only paying late thanks to Trump’s “machinations” on the last stimulus bill (held up the unemployment bump).

Be interesting to see how it goes if they try to evict/not renew since I’m at a $0 balance, but I think laws say they have to offer renewals.

I wanna feel for the folks who had the money but didn’t pay rent and now have these bills due, but I don’t.

21 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Mine slid a letter under my door about that even though I was only paying late thanks to Trump’s “machinations” on the last stimulus bill (held up the unemployment bump).

Be interesting to see how it goes if they try to evict/not renew since I’m at a $0 balance, but I think laws say they have to offer renewals.

I wanna feel for the folks who had the money but didn’t pay rent and now have these bills due, but I don’t.

Well if they filed for eviction against you, you need to show up to show proof that your balance is $0 with receipts and everything, otherwise, they can win by default.  Most landlords are cool, but if they really want a tenant out, that's one way they'll do it, by saying hey, this person hasn't paid for X amount of months. There are some landlords that don't accept payments on purpose when they want to evict tenants who may be rent stabilized or something. 

There was a guy I heard about in Manhattan that did this. He terrorized dozens of rent stabilized tenants and bought up buildings with the purpose of evicting them, so he had his lawyers file for eviction against tons of tenants, and claimed they weren't paying so that he could kick them out, renovate the apartments and then jack up the prices to market rate rent.

I've always been market rate, so I am always diligent about making sure it's taken care of. When we didn't have an online portal, I would send my payments certified mail to be sure they were received, but have been paying online for years now, so that makes life much easier. My first landlord was very laid back and gave me a grace period to pay until the 10th of the month. Second landlord gave us until the 5th, but after that, that's it. He gave no grace period officially, but allowed me to pay up until the 10th in part because the rent was so high that if you didn't pay, starting eviction proceedings was easy. My current landlord is the same, so I'm surprised that he let six months pass before serving these people in my building, but that could be because of the eviction moratorium because even after two months, with the rent there, you're looking at $4,000 or more depending on how big the apartment is. I think all of the apartments are one or two bedrooms at least. My old place had some studios around $1,700 and one bedrooms around $1,800 - 1,900.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well if they filed for eviction against you, you need to show up to show proof that your balance is $0 with receipts and everything, otherwise, they can win by default.

Mine just threatened it. It was stupid since I had to pay weekly bc of Trump.

Now it’s all caught up.

Being real, with so many vacant apartments now, and little demand - along with “reopening” in-person university classes being a Q4 2021 or Q1 2022 thing most likely and the backlog each borough’s housing court will have, I think these landlords are more likely to forgive or settle rather than evict when a tenant has good cause because of the pandemic (ie on UI, laid off, picking between meds/food because of it). 

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

Mine just threatened it. It was stupid since I had to pay weekly bc of Trump.

Now it’s all caught up.

Being real, with so many vacant apartments now, and little demand - along with “reopening” in-person university classes being a Q4 2021 or Q1 2022 thing most likely and the backlog each borough’s housing court will have, I think these landlords are more likely to forgive or settle rather than evict when a tenant has good cause because of the pandemic (ie on UI, laid off, picking between meds/food because of it). 

I hope so. I would imagine that the courts will try to give tenants time to pay given how bad things are, but if people are seriously behind, it may just be enabling the inevitable. I wouldn't want to be on that blacklist, that's all I know. I have heard that once you're on it, it's hard to rent anything. Hopefully my renting days will be over sooner rather than later. I've been leisurely looking at places and have a local realtor who I'm friends with that knows the buildings inside out, so hopefully prices are soft when I'm ready.