R160 Car Assignments / NTT Programs

On 4/22/2021 at 10:08 PM, <6>PelhamExp said:

Random - But I wonder why the R160s and R179 program lists the (C) northern terminal as 168 ST/MANHTN as opposed to WASH HTS-168 ST the way the R46 is coded. There isn't a 168 Street station anywhere else in the system, so why the MANHTN part? 

I might be remembering this wrong but I swear I've seen some (C) trains that just say "168 St"

That might have been during the R160 swap with the (J)(Z) though I can't quite remember

Edited by Brighton Express

9 hours ago, Brighton Express said:

I might be remembering this wrong but I swear I've seen some (C) trains that just say "168 St"

That might have been during the R160 swap with the (J)(Z) though I can't quite remember

The “168 St” program was updated I believe sometime back in 2017/2018 before the R179’s started running on the (C). I remember the updated “168th St/Manhattan” destination show up on the R160’s before they went back to the (J). I guess they just wanted to indicate what borough the train terminates in since the Bronx and Queens also have a 168th street. 

One program I’m annoyed the MTA changed was the “Lower E. Side-2nd Ave” to just “2nd Ave”. I just find some of these program updates unnecessary. The (7) had its original “Flushing-Main St” program changed to just “Main St”. I just don’t see the purpose in shortening it. 

21 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The “168 St” program was updated I believe sometime back in 2017/2018 before the R179’s started running on the (C). I remember the updated “168th St/Manhattan” destination show up on the R160’s before they went back to the (J). I guess they just wanted to indicate what borough the train terminates in since the Bronx and Queens also have a 168th street. 

One program I’m annoyed the MTA changed was the “Lower E. Side-2nd Ave” to just “2nd Ave”. I just find some of these program updates unnecessary. The (7) had its original “Flushing-Main St” program changed to just “Main St”. I just don’t see the purpose in shortening it. 

The (L) used to have "8 AV MANHATTAN" as its Western terminal before the R160s arrived, to which it was changed to 8 Av-14 St.

I also agree with you when you say there's no point in having shortened destinations when there is plenty of space for the name. 

Examples:

(7) - 34-HUDSON (I would change it to 34 ST-HUDSON YDS)

(7) - WILLETS PT (change to METS-WILLETS POINT)

(7) - MAIN ST (change to FLUSHING-MAIN ST)

*better stated, ALL of the (7) train destination signs are needlessly abbreviated

*ANY ROUTE - KINGS HWY (why not type out HIGHWAY)

(W) - 86 ST (change back to GRAVESEND-86 ST)

*I can be here all day, but one thing that does drive me up a wall is when I see routes and destinations misspelled (not abbreviated). We're not in First Grade. such misspellings include the rerouted (Q) via West End display of BRODWAY EXP, the (B) destination signs CENTRL PK W LCL

On 4/28/2021 at 8:49 AM, darkstar8983 said:

The (L) used to have "8 AV MANHATTAN" as its Western terminal before the R160s arrived, to which it was changed to 8 Av-14 St.

I also agree with you when you say there's no point in having shortened destinations when there is plenty of space for the name. 

Examples:

*better stated, ALL of the (7) train destination signs are needlessly abbreviated

*I can be here all day, but one thing that does drive me up a wall is when I see routes and destinations misspelled (not abbreviated). We're not in First Grade. such misspellings include the rerouted (Q) via West End display of BRODWAY EXP, the (B) destination signs CENTRL PK W LCL

This is the smallest annoyance ever but the the one thing that triggers me is the signs that display LOC instead of LCL. I think they are doing it on the R142s.

51 minutes ago, Brighton Express said:

This is the smallest annoyance ever but the the one thing that triggers me is the signs that display LOC instead of LCL. I think they are doing it on the R142s.

That applies to the R142As as well, 7591-7810. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2021 at 8:49 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Examples:

There are also inconsistencies between programs. One N train program displays "GRAVESEND-86 ST" while another program only displays "86 ST." This is recorded on my sign list.

Also, what do you mean by the misspelling of "BRODWAY EXP?" Could you show me this sign? I'm interested in this.

On 4/29/2021 at 12:54 PM, Brighton Express said:

On 4/30/2021 at 9:36 AM, VIP said:

They’re updating them back to display “LOCAL” again. 

At the moment, "LOC" still displays on certain programs. Unsure of why this is the case, but I've observed that the R142/A 6 train programs that don't go into the Bronx (they don't serve the Pelham line) say "LEXINGTON AV LOC". Of course, they don't say "PELHAM LOCAL" or the sort because the program does not serve the Pelham line.

5 hours ago, BenTheMiner said:

There are also inconsistencies between programs. One N train program displays "GRAVESEND-86 ST" while another program only displays "86 ST." This is recorded on my sign list.

Also, what do you mean by the misspelling of "BRODWAY EXP?" Could you show me this sign? I'm interested in this.

At the moment, "LOC" still displays on certain programs. Unsure of why this is the case, but I've observed that the R142/A 6 train programs that don't go into the Bronx (they don't serve the Pelham line) say "LEXINGTON AV LOC". Of course, they don't say "PELHAM LOCAL" or the sort because the program does not serve the Pelham line.

1. Yes, when (Q) trains bound for 57 St-7 Av are rerouted via West End, Broadway is misspelled Brodway. There are youtube videos of (Q) trains rerouted via West End showing these errors.

2. When (Q) trains are rerouted via West End to 96 St-2 Av, their display is:

via WEST END LCL (with the letters CL of LCL less thick than WEST END)

and instead of 96 St - 2 Av displayed, the (Q) displays Astoria-Ditmars, despite the inner signs displaying 96 St-2 Av.

3. The (N) programs to Gravesend-86 St display Gravesend-86 St if the train comes from Astoria (regardless of whether or not the train is local or express. The one difference is that the program for Gravesend-86 St via Whitehall St doesn't display BWAY / 4 AV LCL, but rather BROADWAY LOCAL. The (N) trains that display 86 St only are the trains that come from 96 St-2 Av, and display:

BWAY / 4 AV EXP

via SEA BEACH

86 ST

while the regular 86 St (N) trips from Astoria show:

BWAY / 4 AV EXP

SEA BEACH

GRAVESEND-86 ST

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

1. Yes, when (Q) trains bound for 57 St-7 Av are rerouted via West End, Broadway is misspelled Brodway. There are youtube videos of (Q) trains rerouted via West End showing these errors.

2. When (Q) trains are rerouted via West End to 96 St-2 Av, their display is:

via WEST END LCL (with the letters CL of LCL less thick than WEST END)

and instead of 96 St - 2 Av displayed, the (Q) displays Astoria-Ditmars, despite the inner signs displaying 96 St-2 Av.

3. The (N) programs to Gravesend-86 St display Gravesend-86 St if the train comes from Astoria (regardless of whether or not the train is local or express. The one difference is that the program for Gravesend-86 St via Whitehall St doesn't display BWAY / 4 AV LCL, but rather BROADWAY LOCAL. The (N) trains that display 86 St only are the trains that come from 96 St-2 Av, and display:

BWAY / 4 AV EXP

via SEA BEACH

86 ST

while the regular 86 St (N) trips from Astoria show:

BWAY / 4 AV EXP

SEA BEACH

GRAVESEND-86 ST

I've caught the Q to 96 St-2 Av before. The destination did originally say Astoria at Coney Island, but at some point I left the train to check on the exterior destinations and they returned to 96 St-2 Av. I'll check out the 57 St display as I'd like to add it to my sign collection.

3 hours ago, BenTheMiner said:

I've caught the Q to 96 St-2 Av before. The destination did originally say Astoria at Coney Island, but at some point I left the train to check on the exterior destinations and they returned to 96 St-2 Av. I'll check out the 57 St display as I'd like to add it to my sign collection.

There are (Q) to 96 St-2 Av signs via West End, but as far as I've seen, they display Broadway Local. Otherwise, the conductor changed the sign to display the normal Brighton Local (Q) despite being a Sea Beach (Q) to 96 St. I think its easier to find on a list of programs the main route rather than a reroute program

2 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

There are (Q) to 96 St-2 Av signs via West End, but as far as I've seen, they display Broadway Local. Otherwise, the conductor changed the sign to display the normal Brighton Local (Q) despite being a Sea Beach (Q) to 96 St. I think its easier to find on a list of programs the main route rather than a reroute program

Oh yes, I see, Broadway Local. Meaning the conductor would've had to manually program the skip for each local station.

Another interesting fact:

Back when R142A's were on the (6), trains coming from 3 Av-138 St would always announce "This is a Brooklyn Bridge bound (6) local train".

(6) trains coming from Pelham Bay Park would always announce "This is a Brooklyn Bridge bound (6) train"

There's also a lot of programs that were made in preparation for the original (L) tunnel shutdown repair work. There was recently a (G) to 18th Av program created, however it is glitched (as everything else (MTA) does when it comes to making sign programs for the NTT).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

An update to the R160 car assignments (11.22.21): 

East New York Yard (4-car): 8313-8652, 9943-9974 .... Lines: (J)(L)(M)(Z) 

#8313-8376 has CBTC for Canarsie (L) , 8377-8612 CBTC for Queens Blvd (M) , 8613-8652, 9943-9974 are non CBTC but used on the (J)(Z) . All CBTC cars can be turned off for the (J)(Z) . 

Jamaica Yard: 8653-9852 .... Lines: (E)(F)(R)  #CBTC activated. All cars are Alstom based except 8843-9102 are Siemens propulsion

Coney Island has 9853-9942 .... in-use as 5-car trains for the Crosstown (G) . Also part of the  Jamaica pool for uniformed CBTC in future

Edited by Calvin